We have a wiki!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

use edit or the + button.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I really hate how people are using this for character descriptions. It should be more of a history of the character, not there overall appearance. Same thing with a guild, not what you can find in the guild thread, but more the history of how it came to be, great battles and transactions, that sort of thing.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

You don't have to read it if you don't like it.
It's just beginning, guild articles and charcter articles will with all hope improve.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I don't read it and I don't not like it. But character descriptions are really pushing it. If we could use this wiki as a tool ig, the real ig stuff as a book, what history book have you read with a full description of ever feature of a man's body from head to toe?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Feel free to create an article of your own character in the way you like it. The link it here: http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... d_articles

Show others what you consider a good article. Personally, I cannot be bothered reading most character descriptions on the online list because they are lame and irrelevant for me while interacting with the characters ingame.

Some guild articles are really confusing, but at least, there are articles. Please note that non guild members may edit guild pages, too. So, if you encounter anything you could have done better, do it!
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

A general problem:

We have now a lot of different locations for information - how can we ensure that the most actual version is known to everyone?

I mean, some infos can be found now on the official site, on Moonsilver, in different forums and now our Wiki...
Estralis Seborian

The homepage will be updated one day, I assume the devs will take the existance of the wiki into account. Moonsilver is a discontinued model, its content will be incoperated into the illarion.org site. The forums are a bad place for important informations, I am sure somebody will copy the content of e.g. the background story board to the wiki.
Estralis Seborian

Can we agree on not creating hundreds of stub articles for every single item? I mean, what content do you want to add to e.g. http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... ple_dagger

"This is a dagger. It is sharp. Mummies drop them. Nobody uses them. You can sell them to NPCs. Sometimes."

I have started to create an article that acts as a guide to helmets.

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Helmets

In such an article, all stubs can be merged and the reader has a complete overview of the topic. btw, the more stub articles we have, the more redirects will be necessary...

Discuss plz.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

one artikle, that compares the different items of a class is worth much more, than seperate descriptions of the items.

#me puts two cents on the table
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

I agree with Estralis, because items in Illa are not so "stats-heavy" like in other games (e.g. WoW). So, real content for items should be in bigger articles, pages about single items should forward to this comprehension articles.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Go for it. Right now the stub articles are just kind of a list of what there is I guess.
Enwell van Illdoran

Post by Enwell van Illdoran »

Finished the german version of the Grey Light-Article..
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Warum habt ihr ein Schneidertisch als Bild...?
Enwell van Illdoran

Post by Enwell van Illdoran »

weil ich keine ahnung habe wie man bilder hochlädt.. :? :roll:
Estralis Seborian

Miklorius

Illapedia: Status quo

Post by Miklorius »

~What is done so far?~

The contents of the local background forum are now fully imported into Illapedia, including a bit reworking, improved structure and links to other Illapedia articles!
(So, it would be nice if the mentioned forum gets deleted to bring more people to Illapedia.)

I think that nearly all available world background content is now in Illapedia; only some things need import from Moonsilver and Magic Academy (plus some more rework on existing articles - mainly english versions)!

~What is still missing?~

Unfortunately, a lot of articles/information about "real" game content like skills or crafting are missing or need heavy improvement.
Also some background articles need more connection to the actual IG reality like e.g. worshipping of gods (a huge history about the early creation of the world is nice, but is not very helpful IG often).

See also Estralis' topic about the newbie section in Illapedia.

PS: Please try to read the basic help we offer in the Illapedia so that articles have the same style and structure. And try not submitting every single change on an article (use "Show preview")- make bigger changes at once.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Well, unfortunately, not sooo much changed in the Illapedia. A few improvements were made (thanks), Estralis started impressive huge articles about weapons and armors.

It seems the most people update "their" articles (guilds etc.); please remember that the Illapedia should not replace e.g. guild forum topics.

Better articles (or pages at all) to game content like skills and crafting are still missing.

A long article about the last governors of Troll's Bane from Stephen Rothman to Edward Cromwell was added recently, check it out:

Chronicle of Troll's Bane: http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... oll's_Bane (The apostroph deactivates the URL-function)
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

I'll start putting in some of the crafting stuff I've figured out or been taught IG, but I'm still a newbie.

Even so, I was frustrated when I didn't find it, I may as well share the answers I've found.
berlioz

Post by berlioz »

I'm a newbie myself, but the Illapedia is nearly empty, so I started to create some articles. I've found the reference item article by Estralis ("helmets") and starting to put in every item I stumbled upon, but in German first. Articles already existing about items will be translated (already done with "Gems"). I also added new categories to the item page. I do not know, whether Estralis' system works, but it sure looks nice and is worth a try.
More categories have to be created and I wondered whether it is possible to put in the picturelists of Illarion. That would save much work! (If it is already done, than it would be good to know the naming rules.)

--- Translation/Übersetzung ---

Ich bin auch ein Neuling, aber Illapedia ist nahezu leer, also habe ich angefangen, Artikel zu erstellen. Ich hab dann irgendwann Estralis Referenzartikel zu Gegenständen gefunden ("helmets") und angefangen, jeden Gegenstand, über den ich im Spiel bisher gestolpert bin, zunächst ins deutsche Illapedia reinzutun. Artikel, die im englischen bereits existieren, werde ich auch noch übersetzen (habe bereits mit "Gems" angefangen). Ich habe außerdem neue Kategorien erstellt. Ich weiß nicht, ob Estralis System funktioniert, aber es sieht sehr gut aus und ist einen Versuch wert.
Es müssen noch mehr Kategorien erstellt werden und ich habe mich gefragt, ob es möglich ist, die offiziellen Bilderlisten dazu zu tun. Das würde jede Menge Arbeit sparen. (Falls diese bereits vorhanden ist, wäre es gut, die Namensregeln zu kennen.)
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

Adding all nesscary information to the Treasure Map article and added some information to the mining article.

EDIT: And removed useless crap idiots put on many articles.

2nd EDIT: Created account called "Rankor"
berlioz

Post by berlioz »

So, I did some work, mostly on the items section and mostly in German. There wasn't much in the beginning, so I completely reworked the chaotic structure using Estralis reference article ("helmets") as a guide and copied every piece of the existing information in the new form, so nothing is lost (done in German and English). Then I made some new articles with the same structure and added nearly all items I know (mostly in German only), which aren't many, I fear, but it is a beginning. At least it will be easier to add new items, because the general structure is given and it is the consistent for all articles!
I will add more items from time to time and some pictures are missing, too.
So here my big plea to all players: Please but in some items you know. I didn't even know the names of most, especially not the English ones. Every tiny bit of information helps!

(I also added some general thoughts to the discussion page of items.)
Gildon wrote:Adding all nesscary information to the Treasure Map article and added some information to the mining article.

Hmm, I looked up your article and as happy, as I may be that you contributed something to Illapedia, I do not think that this is "all nesscary information" and perhaps you should read the article writing guides first, before removing "useless crap idiots put on many articles". Estralis won't be too happy, if you remove something of his rp-relevant stuff and many other people have put much effort in their writings, so please leave at least a note on the respective discussion page, what and why you removed something. It would also helps a lot, if you would look at the reference article or perhaps on the German treasure hunt article. (If you understand German, of course...)

---Translation/Übersetzung---

So, ich habe mal ein bisschen Arbeit in Illapedia gesteckt, allerdings fast alle in die Gegenstände-Sektion und größtenteils auf deutsch. Anfangs gab es da nicht viel, also habe ich das chaotische Design komplett neu gemacht, wobei ich Estralis Artikel über Helme als Designvorlage genommen habe und dann alle bisher vorhandenen Information entsprechend in das neue Design eingearbeitet, so dass nichts verloren ging (sowohl auf deutsch, als auch auf englisch). Sodann habe ich ein paar neue Artikel erstellt und wiederum Estralis Design angewendet. In diese neuen Artikel habe ich so ziemlich jeden Gegenstand, der mir bisher begegnet ist, hineingeschrieben (größtenteils nur auf deutsch). Allerdings sind das nicht so besonders viele, es ist halt ein Anfang. Wenigstens ist es jetzt einfacher, neue Gegenstände hinzuzufügen, weil die generelle Struktur bereits vorhanden ist, die auch durchweg konsistent ist.
Ich werde nach und nach neue Gegenstände eintragen und es fehlen auch noch ein paar Bildchen.
Hier also meine große Bitte an alle Leute: Schreibt einfach alles rein, was euch so an Gegenständen einfällt. Bei vielen kenne ich nichtmal die Namen, geschweige denn die englische Übersetzung.
Jedes bisschen hilft!
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

berlioz wrote:So, I did some work, mostly on the items section and mostly in German. There wasn't much in the beginning, so I completely reworked the chaotic structure using Estralis reference article ("helmets") as a guide and copied every piece of the existing information in the new form, so nothing is lost (done in German and English). Then I made some new articles with the same structure and added nearly all items I know (mostly in German only), which aren't many, I fear, but it is a beginning. At least it will be easier to add new items, because the general structure is given and it is the consistent for all articles!
I will add more items from time to time and some pictures are missing, too.
So here my big plea to all players: Please but in some items you know. I didn't even know the names of most, especially not the English ones. Every tiny bit of information helps!

(I also added some general thoughts to the discussion page of items.)
Gildon wrote:Adding all nesscary information to the Treasure Map article and added some information to the mining article.

Hmm, I looked up your article and as happy, as I may be that you contributed something to Illapedia, I do not think that this is "all nesscary information" and perhaps you should read the article writing guides first, before removing "useless crap idiots put on many articles". Estralis won't be too happy, if you remove something of his rp-relevant stuff and many other people have put much effort in their writings, so please leave at least a note on the respective discussion page, what and why you removed something. It would also helps a lot, if you would look at the reference article or perhaps on the German treasure hunt article. (If you understand German, of course...)
As an example to the "useless crap" I edited was like someone put under Elven Silversteel Armour "I own this armour and it owns, I own in it!" I removed that type of material, sorry if you misunderstood :)
berlioz

Post by berlioz »

Gildon wrote:As an example to the "useless crap" I edited was like someone put under Elven Silversteel Armour "I own this armour and it owns, I own in it!" I removed that type of material, sorry if you misunderstood :)
Uhhhmm, okay, this really falls under the category of "useless crap".

Thank you for your help making Illapedia worth its name.

I have noticed with pleasure, that someone has corrected and extended some of the new articles already.
The crafting section is not as empty as the items section and its structure is okay in my opinion (it is easier though, because there are only a few different crafts). But the articles are often full of errors, broken links and a little bit choatic. There is much work to do, too.

---Translation/Übersetzung---

Ich habe mit Freude bemerkt, dass bereits jemand welche der neuen Artikel verbessert und erweitert hat.
Die Handwerkssektion ist nicht so leer wie die Gegenständesektion und die allgemeine Struktur ist meiner Meinung nach in Ordnung (es ist auch einfacher, da es ja nur eine übersichtliche Anzahl an Handwerksfähigkeiten gibt). Allerdings sind die Artikel häufig voller Fehler, kaputten Links und generell recht chaotisch. Da braucht es auch noch einiges an Arbeit.
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

Berloiz - I think that's the nature of wiki's. The more people who use them and realize that it IS OK for them to correct errors, the better it will get.

Yes, it's true that the 'revert' function is there for a reason as well, but they are a very nice thing to make use of.
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

It would be nice to have a link on the wiki leading back to the Illarion home page. Maybe linked to the non existent logo.

Edit: It would also be nice for some clarification on the whole druid/potion thing. From the forums, I gather there is once again some sort of alchemy system, but the wiki doesn't reflect it at all.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Elsi wrote:It would be nice to have a link on the wiki leading back to the Illarion home page. Maybe linked to the non existent logo.
At the moment, there are central links on the "Community portal"/"Illapedia-Portal":
http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... ity_Portal
Edit: It would also be nice for some clarification on the whole druid/potion thing. From the forums, I gather there is once again some sort of alchemy system, but the wiki doesn't reflect it at all.
The Illapedia does not cover much of the past or planned game mechanisms and functions (well, quite a lot actual game mechanismens are missing or incompete, too).
And I personally have no clue how potion brewing/alchemy/whatever work at the moment (if it works at all) or worked in the past.
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

Miklorius wrote: The Illapedia does not cover much of the past or planned game mechanisms and functions (well, quite a lot actual game mechanismens are missing or incompete, too).
And I personally have no clue how potion brewing/alchemy/whatever work at the moment (if it works at all) or worked in the past.
Neither do I. But *somebody* must know the current state of things. Does anyone on this board play a druid? If you do, and could put some notes into the wiki about how potions work right now that would be a help.
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

The druid system is currently being worked on. So there won't be much to write yet.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Could anyone tell me how to upload a picture to the wiki and link to it please?
Estralis Seborian

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... ial:Upload

[[image:filename.jpg|thumb|text]]

thumb: show a thumbnail, only (optional)
text: display a text (here: "text") under the thumbnail