English/German translators

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tanistian_Kanea

English/German translators

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Ok. This is for those people looking to script NPC's but are unable to speak the other language (I for instance cannot speak German). Basically I would like anyone capable and willing to do translations of NPC text to post something here. The only other option to this is run the phrases through an online translator. Discuss Ideas.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Tanistian, you can just script the english versions of the language, and we will translate it internally for you. :wink: But if you find someone to collaborate with, feel free.

Mesha
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Thats what I do, I just run phrases through an online translator.

There are some good ones available.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

But they'll never nail down the intricacies of the language. It's fine when you're translating "The cat sat on the mat", but any slightly complex sentence will throw it completely.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Thats what I do, I just run phrases through an online translator.

There are some good ones available.
But the one you used isn't one of the good ones then :wink:
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Its true. However, if you break complex sentences down into very small direct sentences then it is not so bad.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Hello. I am Henry. I can sepak. But just a few words in a row. Looks good? No, does not. Now i am sad. Too bad.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Jupiter wrote:Hello. I am Henry. I can sepak. But just a few words in a row. Looks good? No, does not. Now i am sad. Too bad.
That's not what he said, try reading.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I don't think a translator would fail at basic grammar, capitalisation (On the letter "I") or misspell the word "speak", but nice try.

He means

I'm going to the shop to kill my aunt because the mafia told me if I do it they'll pay me 50 grand in assets.

Translated in one go:
Ich bin zum Geschäft dabei, meine Tante zu töten, weil die Mafia mir erzählte, wenn ich es tue, bezahlen sie mir 50 großartig im Vermögen.

Translated part by part
Ich bin zum Geschäft dabei, meine Tante zu töten, weil die Mafia mir das sagte, wenn ich es tue,sie werden mir £50,000 im Vermögen bezahlen.

Not sure if either of them make sense, but I hope the bottom one makes MORE sense :P
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

nmaguire wrote:
Jupiter wrote:Hello. I am Henry. I can sepak. But just a few words in a row. Looks good? No, does not. Now i am sad. Too bad.
Vielleicht habe ich ihn missverstanden, weil Englisch nicht meine Muttersprache ist; da ist ein Kommentar wie "try reading" äußerst unangebracht.
Weiterhin sehe ich noch immer nich, wie ich ihn missverstanden haben soll, also kläre mich armen nicht-Englischsprachler doch bitte auf und zwar in Deutsch - versuche es einfach mal zu lesen oder hole dir Hilfe.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Saying that English is not your native language and speaking in German is not an argument. You just said someone's wrong and then as soon as someone contradicted you you tried the whole SCHAZAM I DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH PERFECTLY trick.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Jupiter wrote:
nmaguire wrote:
Vielleicht habe ich ihn missverstanden, weil Englisch nicht meine Muttersprache ist; da ist ein Kommentar wie "try reading" äußerst unangebracht.
Weiterhin sehe ich noch immer nich, wie ich ihn missverstanden haben soll, also kläre mich armen nicht-Englischsprachler doch bitte auf und zwar in Deutsch - versuche es einfach mal zu lesen oder hole dir Hilfe.
Misunderstanding is one thing, being rude is another. There are many other ways you could've said that sentence. I responded in the same way you did.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Could you stick to the topic?

Online translators are no tool to translate any Illarion content. They might give you an idea what a text is all about, but I don't want to see a Illarion NPC talk like a total retard.

Usually, there are many volunteers that can help translating. But first of all, one needs something to translate; do not hesitate and script whatever you like! Just be a bit careful with riddles...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

No, I brought an example which made my statement clear.
You said that I wouldn't read before writing something; that is a personal attack.

PS. You still didn't clear what I should have missunderstood.

PPS. Alex, do not react on my writings, pleas. I really don't want to talk to you in any way.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Good constructive discussion style there.
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

I find it easier to translate something from scratch than correcting the sentences that come from those so called translators. Most of them are rather horrible. So please, if you think about scripting something, just leave out the German part and send it in. There is always someone who has the time and is willing to translate it afterwards.