Allow mixed races

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Clairette

Allow mixed races

Post by Clairette »

Rule wise it's not allowed to play characters like half-elves etc. I would like to request to change this rule or remove it.
Engine wise it would mean the player has to decide to which partent's traits were stonger, so either choose elf or human, for staying with the half-elf example.
I don't see that it would challenge the game in engine aspects, if the player has to decide for one of the already existing race, all the stats would be in that race's given range.
RP-wise it offers more creative opportunities than the existing races.

What are other people's ideas on this? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Kaelyn Ianale

Re: Allow mixed races

Post by Kaelyn Ianale »

This must be a (relative to the past 8 years) new rule as I had a half-elf character for some time. She took after her paternal side more therefore I just chose the human sprite and went with it. It never seemed to cause issue?

Either way, I second this proposal!
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

What rule are you referring to?
As far as I'm aware it's been allowed to play half elves for the longest time.
Though the rest that have less of a similar biology than humans/elves were against the rules from what I recall.
HaselNuss
Runewick

Post by HaselNuss »

Die Beschreibung der Spielwelt, wie auf https://illarion.org veröffentlicht, ist verpflichtend. Bei der Auswahl der Rassen eines Charakters ist die Auswahl auf die bei der Charaktererstellung angegebenen Rassen begrenzt. Auch über das Rollenspiel ist es nicht erlaubt, Mischlingscharaktere irgendeiner Art zu spielen.

Bei magischem und göttlichem Wirken oder übernatürlichen Eigenschaften gilt, dass alles, was man nicht über die Engine von Illarion umsetzen kann und einen Einfluss auf die Spielwelt oder andere Spieler hat, eine Genehmigung eines Gamemasters erfordert.

---

The description of the game world as published on https://illarion.org is mandatory. The races allowed to play are limited to the races offered to choose during the character creation in the account system. It's not allowed to roleplay any mixed-race characters.

A Gamemaster's permission is needed for all magical and divine interventions as well as supernatural properties that cannot be realised by the engine and affect the game world or other players.

https://illarion.org/illarion/us_rules.php#world
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Totally useless rule.
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

I don't think it is a totally useless rule. Half Ork, half Halfling? It's not something in the Illarion universe or lore that I know of and when you 'look' at it, other than a humanoid species, really? Whats the bio connection. Why not half Chimpanze half human? I mean sure you can RP it an 'Orkling', I'm sure a few could do it very well and immersively. You can in theory RP anything but should you and what does it bring? Sometimes greater creativity and enjoyment but sometimes If the rules change (which I have no problem with myself) then whats to stop people wanting to play half Halfling half Ettin? Because its a non player race? But then so are half breeds currently, because there is no engine graphic for player to play it? Nor is there for half breeds its RP'ed with the graphic of the most distinguished part of the race. I'm not for or against it, I'm just playing a devils advocate in that if you say yes to one thing, sometimes you set a precedent for others and it can lead to unwanted results. But hey, the game lore changes so, whats the big. What ever makes people happy and the creativity flow.