Newbie guide - something that matters!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

Newbie guide - something that matters!

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Dear fellow players,
some already have noticed that we have a wiki, called Illapedia. In this wiki, there is an article that needs special attention and I'd like to ask all you experienced players to have a look at it and contribute to it:

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Newbies

As we all know, we lose most of our new players during the first 10 minutes because they have no clue what they can do in Illarion. So, this guide should cover exactly the first ten minutes and not more. Also, it should be so short that one can read it in less than 3 minutes.

It will take some more time until we have a newbie island, so it is not wasted work when you help writing this article. Also, it should cover things that are not related to the interface or the game background, but the "how do I start?".

Thanks alot!
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Should it be specific to a certain type of charecter though? I mean, if you start the guide for the first 10 mins, focuses on a warrior, mage classes would not be benifiting from that, correct? Can you please give us some direction to take with this?
Estralis Seborian

Have a look at the current status of the english article, this might give an idea how it could become like.

Magic, crafting, fighting, all these specific things can be treated in other articles. The newbie guide should tell people how to do things at all and how they can get started. No specific infos about aspects of the game, but a quick guide what they can do in the very first minutes.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I looked at it and it basically says, kill pigs, keep the drops, and sell it.

Sounds good to me. I don't know what else to tell someone in the first ten minutes.

It's what I 'usually' do with a new character.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

I fight skeletons usually.
:)

Post by :) »

How about: Go around, find people, roleplay!
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

So, I was a bit bored, and decided to take a shot at it, but I want others to look at it, because... 1, I have no spell check, and 2, I want to make sure it is imformative enough to help them through their first moments.

The first 10 minutes in Illarion, are very important. Note your location, the center of the island of Gobiath, in a town called Troll's Bane. This happens to be one of the few cities on the island. One of the first things
you should do is become familiar with the area, within the city. As you
walk around, you may meet new people, talk to them, if you can. If you
want to look like your performing an action (e.g. you want to hand an apple to some one) type #me hands an apple over. Then put the apple on the ground.
Once learning the layout of the ground, finding where the animals are,
and the city bounds, your well on your way to a succesful life. Do not
randomly attack people, or else you will be exiled from the city. Listen
to what people have to say, most of them are willing to help you. If you
have some trouble, that you do not have any clue beyond what I have told you, speak to a person with brackets around it. Such as...((I am new, can you help me please)), but only in extreme cases. Try to keep it in character as much as possible, and make up a story behind what is troubling you...
Instead of ((How do I cut down trees, where do I get this and that)) Try..
#me looks rather confused, and slightly disoriented, "I really want to cut down this tree, but I do not think I have the right tools...can you sell them to me, or point me in the direction of them?"

Most importantly, REMEMBER TO ROLE PLAY WITH OTHERS, and you will do just fine.

Welcome to Illarion, the begining of the rest of your life.

((is that good enough?))
martin

Post by martin »

Thanks Vern, however, you should have put it in the wiki as this is the main purpose of the wiki.
If you made spelling mistakes, others will (probably) correct them, if the article wasn't informative enough, others will add more information.

Martin
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I unfortunately do not know how to do that...can some one put it in for me?
Estralis Seborian

Go to the wiki: http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Newbies

Click on "Edit"
Copy and paste your content where it fits

If you want to format the text, you can find out how here: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting

I just skimmed your text, have you actually read what's the current content of the article is like?
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter
Location: Go for more communication between Players and Staff

Post by Greisling »

I am preparing some additional info for the newbie guide.
I ask all POs to post some atmospheric snapshots of IG events they think are worth to be shown to newbies.
Something like impressive graphics, specialefects ore many chars in one scene.
Please post them here.

Thanks!

---

Ich bereite gerade ein paar Zusatzinfos für den Newbieleitfaden vor.
Das ganze wollte ich dann mit einigen atmosphärischen IG-Bildschirmfotos auffrischen.
Bitte stellt doch einige Pics hier ins Forum, von denen ihr denkt, dass sie den Newbs Lust auf mehr Illarion machen.
Ich hatte da grob an beeindruckende Landschaften, Specialefects oder viele Chars auf einm Haufen gedacht.

Danke!
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

http://illarion.org/illarion/de_screenshots.php

Also, die finde ich shcon ganz toll. Und ich denke 99% aller möglichen Spieler schauen zu erst auf der HP nach den Screenshots. Mache ich auch immer^^
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Hui, die sind ja sogar teils aktuell! Einige spoilern aber zu viel (Dilemma: Schauwerte eines Spieles zeigen oder nicht?).

Da viele Spieler zuerst auf der Website herumschauen, sollte das Wiki alsbald möglichst oft von dort verlinkt werden.
Estralis Seborian

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... oleplaying could use an expansion. Also, the german version looks like a quarry, anybody who wants to help the game should start translating.

Keep in mind that this article is linked directly on the main page of the wiki and was read more than a thousand times. Also, it is the page you should recommend to newbies in case they want to find out more about getting started.

As a sidenote, you may edit all pages, there are still no staff-only articles. As an example, feel free to add your descriptions to pages like theses:

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... ng_weapons
http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Helmets