what is powergaming...

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Grant Herion

what is powergaming...

Post by Grant Herion »

I am curious as to what powergaming is exactly.... Because I think I just saw a case of it. I was at the place where the sheep are collecting wool and I saw a human and an elf. The human was new like me and was casting ra pen on the elf. And the elf didn't care at all. And I said to them "why are you casting on the elf?"
and the human said "it is my teacher".
Isn't this powergaming? The elf is powergaming by trying to raise its magic defense with the human casting on it. well, I am new and don;t know for sure.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

It is Powergaming.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

i dont know about collecting the wool collecting thing but highering his magic resistance is.
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

no, i was collecting wool, the human and elf were the ones "training".
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

No I don't see that as powergaming. If I stand correct powergaming is like Macros? Macros is when the person ISN'T at the computer. Even so they said that the elf was teaching the other. I do not see how it is powergaming.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Powergaming is doing a certain series of things *repeatedly* to improve a *skill*
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

but the elf was letting the student hit it with ra pen so its magic defense would raise. I think I would call it powergaming....
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

especially since there is no use a magic resistance unless you plan on pk'ing. NO monsters cast yet.
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

Of course bear in mind that it is highly irrational behaviour. Being hit by a spell is NOT a pleasent experience...
Elaralith

Post by Elaralith »

Powergaming: Making use of bugs or repeating an action for the pure sake of gaining skills and becoming more "powerful".

Any action even if it is repeated (though not for an undue length of time) for a RP reason would not classify as powergaming.
Algoran

Post by Algoran »

Good point Elarilith. Hermies definition might make many smiths and carpenters very nervous.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Actualy, the most Smith and Carpenters ARE Powergamers, because if there isnt Eliza in Town, they would have no real reason to smith Thousands of Daggers.
The local Demand on these Items is nearly Zero. So everybody who only creates items for Eliza is in my eyes a Powergamer.

Oh no, hes doing this for Money, i hear you saying. But i answer, what do you want with this Money, you can survive without it.

Back to the current Example:
There is realy no RP-Reason to hurt your Friend/Student/Neighour with Spells over and over. He feels Pain, he gets Harmed, he might die.
This is no way of learning anything.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

If there is no way of learning anything than why do skills increase? hehe...Besides have you ever heard of sucking it up? So the elf is powerful and can take damage. It's called toughness. Strong beings can withstand small amounts of damage. I know nothing about spells so I do not know if it is a strong spell or not. Macros is basically things being done by themselves over and over again. Although I don't see how you could get any good at a skill without doing something over and over.

And if you can live without money...How come people work so hard to get good skills to make money? Is it pointless to do so? And why do you ask for money after a war? Why do we pay money? Saying that you can live without money is kind of strange. Doesn't make much sense.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

darlok you know why people would still smith thousands of items? for skill. There is no good rp reason to be hit with spells over and over while doing nothing about it. There is a fine line between training and powergaming.
Guardian Angel

Post by Guardian Angel »

Did you see the numbers of the human and elf and whether they were male or female?
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

As related to powergaming, there were several discussions about what is powergaming.

In the following topic, held on german, there is a discussion about training.
In one of my posts there, I gave some links to other topics about powergaming, some of them in english, have a look at them.

http://www.illarion.org/community/forum ... sc&start=0
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

the human was male and new, 40xxx. I doubt he knew he was helping the female elf powergame. The female elf was 15966.
Xerake

Post by Xerake »

Well, it is powergaming...

However, I don't mind it ONLY if magic resistance is being raised, because there are zero ways to improve magic resistance in a decent time; I don't feel like playing for three years just so I don't double over from an ice bolt...there are people who irritate me, and if I want to kill them, their buddies like to threaten ice bolts at me.
Crocket

Post by Crocket »

I don't think it should be considered powergaming.
I think that powergaming should only be considered in the case of macros and such.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Only if the persons are at the computer and aren't using programs and things I don't think there is anything wrong with it. How are you suppose to get powerful (in your lifetime)?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

macros and such are interface hacks and are cheating.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

I know they are. That's what I was talking about.
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

9. Powergaming

Carrying out an action repeatedly, and for an extended time to raise your skill, is called Power gaming, and is forbidden. A worse case is when the player is doing something else to entertain him/her self meanwhile (e.g. watching tv). Note: Casting offensive spells on yourself will kill you instantly.

10. Usage of Macros

The use of additional programs which influences the game is not allowed. Especially macro programs are not allowed.
Here it is stated very clear, that powergaming is not "only" the use of macros and such things.
The reason for this is, that it is a roleplaying game and not a skill-gaining game. The main focus is roleplaying. And repeating one action for a long time to gain skills which doesn't fit to your rle, is powergaming.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Problem is they say that powergaming is increasing a skill while doing something over and over without a good RP reason...well how are you suppose to get skills up? They don't go up by themselves.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

if you dont have an rp reason, why do it? there is a line between training and powergaming.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Yet you don't understand. Blacksmiths are powergamers according to the rules. Why do they make it that way to the point where you break rules?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Yet again, you dont understand, i blacksmith to make money and raise my skill, but, i dont sit around all day mining and smithing. Training and powergaming are different, powergaming is basically doing something repeatedly more than a reasonable amount.
Vindigan

Post by Vindigan »

And the the question, What is a reasonable ammount?

I dont think you can state what is and what isnt powergaming in a paragraph. You can only say if it is powegaming if you know everything about what happend.

Was there a good roleplaying reason behind it?

How long was it being done for?

Was it somthing that would not normaly happen? (eg letting monsters hit you to raise parry. Standing in a flame to raise magic resistance)
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Yeah but, think about it Gro'Bul. That rule is quite vauge (I know I spelled wrong). Training can be the same thing. Like Darlok said. Is making tons of money a good RP reason? Not really. Who would really want to buy thousands of daggers?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

the rule is vague, and a reasonable amount is only what the gm's say what a reasonable amount is.