Illarion on a Vista?

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Zenes

Illarion on a Vista?

Post by Zenes »

Is there any way that Illarion will ever work on a Vista? For me personally, that would help enable me to get on and actually play the game more often (I obviously have a Vista). I was just wondering if it was possible...at all...in the next decade or whatever...
I love Illarion! It's just frustrating for me to not be able to play the game I love. That's all. So yeah, I was just wondering.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

It is possible.
Eadgar

Post by Eadgar »

Because you are stuck with Vista, you get a hug...

*hug*
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

I run Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop, it works fine, no trouble at all. What I'm wondering about is Windows 7. I have a free upgrade, but I am worried about trying it, for reasons other than just Illarion. Is there any known conflict with Windows 7 ?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

*uses Windows 7*
Windows 7 works excellent!

Vista...update your drivers could work...or better: upgrade to windows 7 ;)
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

As the other posters more or less said, Illarion works perfectly with MS Vista, but not with the default graphic drivers. Microsoft hates the free graphic standard OpenGL and wants to promote its own DirectX, thus they did not implement OpenGL support in Vista by default. And Illarion requires OpenGL.

So, go to the site of the manufacturer of your graphic card and download the latest drivers. This is never a bad idea because usually, with such updated drivers, all other games you have will run better and faster than before.

If you don't know which graphic card you have and who produced it, run the program "dxdiag" (Start->Run, type "dxdiag") and take a look at the tab "Display" or similar.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Illarion is probably the only game I've ever seen that runs on like, all OS systems.
Llama

Post by Llama »

MoonDust wrote:Illarion is probably the only game I've ever seen that runs on like, all OS systems.
Since java uses its own VM, programs written on java will work across all OS systems which support the Java VM.
pharse

Post by pharse »

all OS systems
= all operating systems systems

Illarion is truly an allrounder. It runs even on those systems which run the actual system :!:

on topic: I could run Illarion on Win XP, Vista and 7.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I was about to type OSses. :(

OS systems is less worse ok.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i have, luckily, had no problems with illaRION on vista..might be the graphics card...dont know..im more a gamegeek in that way.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Since java uses its own VM, programs written on java will work across all OS systems which support the Java VM.
Wrong. It means Java comes up with different bugs on each operating system. So you write it for one OS, test it, install the application on the next OS and start fixing the bugs. ;)

Illarion currently supports:
Windows 98 SE
Windows ME
Windows 2000 (SP3, SP4)
Windows XP
Windows 2003
Windows Vista
Windows 2008
Windows 7

Linux since Kernel 2.4 on, requiring GNOME 1.4 at least or KDE 2 at least.

MacOS X support is provided from Mac OS X v10.4 and newer

Furthermore a graphic card and drivers with support for OpenGL 1.1 or better is needed.

Nitram
Zenes

Post by Zenes »

Thank you all SOOO much! I'm going to take your advice and see about OpenGL.
Eadgar

Post by Eadgar »

Nitram wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Since java uses its own VM, programs written on java will work across all OS systems which support the Java VM.
Wrong. It means Java comes up with different bugs on each operating system. So you write it for one OS, test it, install the application on the next OS and start fixing the bugs. ;)

Illarion currently supports:
Windows 98 SE
Windows ME
Windows 2000 (SP3, SP4)
Windows XP
Windows 2003
Windows Vista
Windows 2008
Windows 7

Linux since Kernel 2.4 on, requiring GNOME 1.4 at least or KDE 2 at least.

MacOS X support is provided from Mac OS X v10.4 and newer

Furthermore a graphic card and drivers with support for OpenGL 1.1 or better is needed.

Nitram
I want to boot up Xbuntu and see if I can get Illa working in Xfce.
Zenes

Post by Zenes »

Victory is mine!!!

Thanks to all of your help, especially from Estralis Seborian, I have officially played Illarion on my Vista. I'm playing the game I love much more often now. Thank you!
Freedomworker

Post by Freedomworker »

Estralis Seborian wrote:As the other posters more or less said, Illarion works perfectly with MS Vista, but not with the default graphic drivers. Microsoft hates the free graphic standard OpenGL and wants to promote its own DirectX, thus they did not implement OpenGL support in Vista by default. And Illarion requires OpenGL.

So, go to the site of the manufacturer of your graphic card and download the latest drivers. This is never a bad idea because usually, with such updated drivers, all other games you have will run better and faster than before.

If you don't know which graphic card you have and who produced it, run the program "dxdiag" (Start->Run, type "dxdiag") and take a look at the tab "Display" or similar.
I have one computer on XP and another on Vista - I've never been able to use the vista one - now it works. Thank you Estralis - you rock!
Estelwen

Post by Estelwen »

Windows 7 was my idea.
Freedomworker

Post by Freedomworker »

lol..
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I've been playing Illa on a Vista laptop for over 6 months with no problems.