Style of fighting!

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hawkmoon

Style of fighting!

Post by Hawkmoon »

Hi there!

I have now played this game for almost a week (wow, the time really fly away when you have fun!) and now I have started to wonder things about fighting.

1. Do the attributes decide the speed of the improvements, or just the maximum skill you can reach on the different skills and how do I know what I should try to improve the most(i.e. what I have talent for)?

2. Do the equipment you use decide what style of fighting you use? I mean if you are wearing lots of armour and so on, do you block more and dodge less or is it the same no matter what? Do you dodge more often when you don't use a shield?

3. Do your attributes decide what style of fight you have? I mean do an agile and dexterious warriour tend to dodge more than a "clumsy" warrior?

4. What skills are connected to what attributes?

5. Main question is: is there any way to influence the way you fight in the game?

Think these questions are quite important to know in order to know how to play you character. I mean can one become a great warrior without using any armour for example?

These questions might be dumb, but I really have not found anything about this...
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

1.Certaintattributs increase the learning span, means the higher your int for example, the longer you can learn, if you have better figthing attribut, than you learn faster.

2.Yes, after a certaint armorvalue you can't dodge anymore, means you simply can block, nothing else, the weapon you choose depends the skill you train.

3.That I do not know, the "style" like "aggresiv" "dodging" and so on can't be choosen anyway, your attributes can improve your figthing but you don't really have styles.

4. Dex is normally usefull for crafting, essence/willpower/int is important for anythign magical and strength increases figthing skills.

5. Except changing weapons and thus figthing with a different "style" ...no

The game is not about being the best warrior you know, some people around here like to stick to their chars, chars who used leather armours for years, won't choose metal armours suddendly, just because you get a better defence from it.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

I know that one should stick to the character and so do I, but still it is important to know how things work. I mean is it even possible to play an agile swordsmaster or do you simply get slaid if you try that? Kinda stupid to try to become that if you only will get slaid if you try and so on... You see my point I guess...
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Oh, and is strength really the only important skill when fighting?
Olive

Post by Olive »

strength is not the measure of a warrior

swordfighters need exterity too i believe

and if you want get anywhere ina forest you better be agile enough

if you wantto learn faster than a rock then you better have soem intelligence

andif you want to not collpase like a house of cards you better have some constitution

aboutthe only stat a warrior does not really need woudl be essemce, but that doesn't mean you just drop that to its lowest value to jack up other stats, thats powergamign and gets you evil glares and mutters :)
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Yeah, I see. What I want to make clear here though is that I ask these questions because I really wondered what options one have - to to be the best fighter ever. There are other games for that (boring ones mostly...). I am here to to RPG, but still I want to know what my character is tallented in and not. And if there are other ways to go than just have the best armour and weapons (see powergaming...). In most games I kinda lack the option to become a warrior of different styles.

As it seems here it is possible to become a warrior of different styles and I really love if it is like that.

Btw, is agility only good for running in the forest? Just wondering. =)
Lillian

Post by Lillian »

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... php?t=9047

That may answer the question or other questions you may have about attributes.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Agility affects fighting aswell, some more than others.
You really can find quite a bit by just logically thinking about "Hrm what would this skill need?"

Basicly, just about everything affects 'fighting' to some degree(Or could in the future.)
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Hawkmoon wrote: because I really wondered what options one have - to to be the best fighter ever.
Hahahaha!!!!!

That will never happen!!

Because there are several different fighting styles, each depending on your attributes (which are limited by amount, race, etc.) and weapon (Which some are only given in special situations or by GM's) and Armor (again, some are special).

Some weapons work better and/or worse against some various armors.

Each weapons class "Ideally" trumps another. This isn't always the case, but under perfect conditions for each weapon vs. Armor type, they will.

You can never be "The Best Warrior" ever, but you can join the club of "Best Warriors" in their 'weapons class'.
Wrestling---Taliss Kazzxs
Slashing---Dain Laiden/Behemoth
Concussion----hmm...dunno...maybe me???
Puncture----Jonathon Cain?
Distance---Shingo

((I know I'm forgetting some, but feel free to add to list. Really need a tournament IG to find out))

So pick one, and have fun! :D
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Juniper Onyx wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote: because I really wondered what options one have - to to be the best fighter ever.
Hahahaha!!!!!

That will never happen!!

Because there are several different fighting styles, each depending on your attributes (which are limited by amount, race, etc.) and weapon (Which some are only given in special situations or by GM's) and Armor (again, some are special).

Each weapons class "Ideally" trumps another. This isn't always the case, but under perfect conditions for each weapon vs. Armor type, they will.

You can never be "The Best Warrior" ever, but you can join the club of "Best Warriors" in their 'weapons class'.
Wrestling---Taliss Kazzxs
Slashing---Dain Laiden/Behemoth
Puncture----Jonathon Cain?
Distance---Shingo

((I know I'm forgetting some, but feel free to add to list. Really need a tournament IG to find out))

Well, I was not talking about me personally. I have never aimed to become the best fighter and I can't really see the fun in what I wrote, but anyway. I have got the answers I wanted.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Slashing---Dain Laiden/Behemoth
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh, and so this isn't complete spam, no, you can't be a good warrior without wearing any armour. You can be a good mage though.
Christopher..Rigden

Post by Christopher..Rigden »

Hawkmoon wrote:
Juniper Onyx wrote:
Hahahaha!!!!!

That will never happen!!

Wrestling---Dom Fisher
Slashing---Dom Fisher
Concussion----Dom Fisher
Puncture----Dom Fisher
Distance---Shingo

Well, I was not talking about me personally. I have never aimed to become the best fighter and I can't really see the fun in what I wrote, but anyway. I have got the answers I wanted.
FIXED
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I concur.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Really need a tournament IG to find out
Lonor_

Post by Lonor_ »