B-I-G and small people

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

B-I-G and small people

Post by Drathe »

I am sure its been talked about it must have but I have not seen it, boys eyes probably.

The odd character sizes, some huge some tiny I guess are not quite right? An experiment at getting the character creation sizes to work?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Since the update the peoples high and weight are now playing a role, if you gave your char only a tiny size, well you should then change it.
Drathe

Post by Drathe »

That I know, but the scale of it looks silly in game. Which is why I was asking if this is to stay as it is or will be modified for the size of people to be less extreme
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Send Nitram a message - he will change it for you.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

I don't think he has a problem with his own char size, I think he is saying that the smallest chars look too small and the biggest chars look too big in comparison to one another.

Sorry if I've read this wrong ;)
Drathe

Post by Drathe »

Thats exactly what I am saying. There are orks and others running around in game the size of a beer mug! Does anyone else have this... does no one think it looks wrong? :?
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

those should send a PM to Nitram for example to get their height fixed ... and yes, looks quite .... silly :roll: :lol:
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

To get to the menu in-game that let's you change your hight, hold down the alt key and press F4.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

I guess there is some tweaking in the scaling needed. I e.g. don't know if it was thought of that the different races had differen default sizes (AFAIK at the moment, a big halfling appears bigger than a dwarf who's size is really greater).
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

I've noticed that 90% of new players are ridiculously small sizes due to the fact they quite simply don't change their height/weight/age when creating their character; They don't care.

My main character is short in size due to being a teen.
My secondary character is a large, menacing ork.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

LifeWonder wrote:I've noticed that 90% of new players are ridiculously small sizes due to the fact they quite simply don't change their height/weight/age when creating their character; They don't care.

My main character is short in size due to being a teen.
My secondary character is a large, menacing ork.
And they should be stuck being tiny. Nitram is too nice.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Maybe if we used cms instead of INCHES people would understand what their height means.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Maybe if we used cms instead of INCHES people would understand what their height means.
I don't know anyone who measures their height or weight metricly.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

A joke? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system Look ath the map. Red marked countries are the only ones, who do not use the metrical system :wink:

But back to topic:

I am also surprised about some sizes of some chars. How it would be to set an average size and wheight inside the char-creating protocol, so that the tiny chars are only used when the player really wants it, no accident.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yes, England uses the metric system commercially, so all products etc. are metric, and at the hospital they measure you in kg and cm, but in day to day life if people mention their weight and height they'll say it in lb and ft, not kg and m over here.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Lennier wrote:A joke? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system Look ath the map. Red marked countries are the only ones, who do not use the metrical system :wink:
LMAO!

Liberia, Myanmar and....the USA!

Well done Uncle Sam, you have truly outdone yourself this time.
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Uncle Sam is like everyone's crazy uncle, once you get to know the guy.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Lennier wrote:I am also surprised about some sizes of some chars. How it would be to set an average size and wheight inside the char-creating protocol, so that the tiny chars are only used when the player really wants it, no accident.
That would work as long as the option is there to still make one not average.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

AlexRose wrote:Yes, England uses the metric system commercially, so all products etc. are metric, and at the hospital they measure you in kg and cm, but in day to day life if people mention their weight and height they'll say it in lb and ft, not kg and m over here.
just because you and your friends want to be more american, dont mess up the rest of the english population.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

The Returner wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Yes, England uses the metric system commercially, so all products etc. are metric, and at the hospital they measure you in kg and cm, but in day to day life if people mention their weight and height they'll say it in lb and ft, not kg and m over here.
just because you and your friends want to be more american, dont mess up the rest of the english population.
I mean EVERYONE in England, I have NEVER met someone who measures their height/width metricly.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Thats interesting. I watch alot of british racing, rally and BTCC, which of course involves alot of measurements. And I've never heard a mile, yard, inch, foot or gallon ever mentioned.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

That's interesting. I've been living in England for nearly 17 years and I've never heard in casual conversation a person describe themself as x cm or x kg. The only time I've ever been measured in cm was in hospital. e.g. I know that my brother is 6'4'', I am 6'1'', my best friend is 6'3'', my stepdad is 6'2'', my mother is 5'7'' and if I ever describe my weight in kg then I know I have to do the 2.2x conversion because noone has a clue how much 50kg is. In fact, if you want, go ask any English player of this game his height or weight and see what answer you receive.
>>Alexrose<< says:
how tall are you?
\m/ DaN \m/ - lost in a sea of madness says:
..are you asking me out on a date? <3
>>Alexrose<< says:
rofl
>>Alexrose<< says:
no
>>Alexrose<< says:
I'm just testing something
>>Alexrose<< says:
to prove a point to someone
>>Alexrose<< says:
go on, how tall are you? :P
\m/ DaN \m/ - lost in a sea of madness says:
im 5 foot 9 i think
>>Alexrose<< says:
how tall are you?
Ethereal Thoughts says:
personally?
>>Alexrose<< says:
yes
Ethereal Thoughts says:
5 6/7
Ethereal Thoughts says:
LOL
>>Alexrose<< says:
how tall are you?
Dale says:
irl?
>>Alexrose<< says:
yeah
Dale says:
ill check
>>Alexrose<< says:
don't you know off the top of your head?
Dale says:
about 5'9
etc. etc.

Because we INVENTED imperial and have always used it (despite the fact we also invented metric, but we keep that to industry in science), hence we measure weight of people, height of people, time, alcohol (pints) etc. in imperial.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

ooo, I want to know mister rose, how one measures time in imperial?

is one hour 2.6 times the size of a metric hour?
Joxia Doral

big and small

Post by Joxia Doral »

Back to topic?
I believe, right after the client change, that i read something about there being plans to to have minimum and maximum sizes set for characters. This should put an end to the silly sized characters ...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

The Returner wrote:ooo, I want to know mister rose, how one measures time in imperial?

You already measure time in imperial.

60 seconds = 1 minute, 60 minutes = 1 hour, 24 hours = 1 day, 7 days= 1 week, 52 weeks = 1 year, that is not metric, sorry to tell you.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

The Returner wrote:ooo, I want to know mister rose, how one measures time in imperial?

Time is measured in imperial as there are 60 seconds in a minute, and 60 minutes in an hour, and 24 hours in a day.

If it was metric there would be 100 seconds in a minute, 100 minutes in an hour and another multiple of 10 for the number of hours in a day.

As this system would be honestly, rather difficult for day to day use. We continue to measure time imperially.