Playing an Instrument - With music

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Playing an Instrument - With music

Post by Llama »

Currently learning how to play an instrument is utterly useless.

You shift click like mad to increase a skill, and you get an automatic #me. If I wanted, I could go up with an untrained (and no instrument at all) and go #me plays the banjo with speed and much skill.

This suggestion aims at making instruments useful, it isn't linked to the bard magic system in any way...

1) When a person plays an instrument, s/he should make a sound which can be heard by anyone around him/her.
2)The range of the sound (and its volume) should be determined by the person playing the instrument: if the person wants to play a gentle tune to relax a client in the tavern or if the person wants to majestically present the king as he rides into town.
3) The type of music a person wants to play is chosen from a list, which depends on the skill of a person. (Example: Sad, Happy, Majestic...)
4) The skill also determines how complicated a song is to play
5) For the first 30% of the skill, the only thing that can be played are 'practice' pieces (arpegios, broken chords, scales ect...)
6) After 30%, the pieces are 'real' music
7) The 'real' music would have 3 versions of each piece. A 'perfect' piece, a piece with some notes done wrong, and a very bad version of it.
8) When a bard reaches 85% of skill, he no longer makes mistakes when playing a tune.
9) Since 'music' = .mid files (which are TINY) there should be an option for players who understand music, to create tunes themselves which are then added in the game (as playable by their character)
---

Of course, the greatest problem in doing summat lyke this, is obviously that someone has to create the sound files. If the Devs accept this proposal, I would be happy to create a good amount of them myself (and obviously ask for help from others).
-

Does anyone (else) think it could be worth the effort?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Point 1) is definatly worth the effort. For the rest... I send you a PM ;-)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I would like something like this, since the current system was made to play different sounds depending on the skill. Only the lack of musik files made me putting in the #me's

Furthermore i think that its a problem to select the "tracks" you want to play by a list. That is eigther from the client nor from the server supported. Would need completly new developed parts in both. Thats nothing that can be solved only with some scripts.

To put in sounds from players on their own is more or less impossible. It would be needed to send them to nop, who puts them into the client and makes a update of the client, after this its needed to put the new music into the scripts to make them playable. That a song is only playable for a single character will never happen.

Range and volume i think is mainly determined by the instrument. I doubt that you will play your gentle tune in the taverne on a horn. ;-)

Nitram
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

I support this idea, I thought of something like this to myself before, it would be good to have more music in the game - and would increase the demand for musicians, making it a worthwhile job with proper pay - kings could have their own musicians and such like.

:)
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Yeah...you can play a gentle tune on a horn...you would be amazed at what instruments can sound like...I can make a trumpet sound like a horse, kinda. Just throwing that out there so you don't make a horn sound like some kind of loud blast of annoyance.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Definitely should be a ridiculously loud sound once you are nearly mastered in it.
Llama

Post by Llama »

nop wrote:
Me wrote: Question 1: How long does each 'tune' have to be.
Question 2: What type of 'tunes' are wanted ?
1: Any length you want.
2: You better ask that publicly.
So, what kind of music do you people want?
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nothing annoying.

Nothing that makes you want to strangle the person who dares to spam with harp 20+ times in a row and thus makes your ears bleed. Lets start from there. :P