Campfires

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

Campfires

Post by Estralis Seborian »

During my last two events/quests, I ran into trouble with one feature. My quest characters lit campfires in the woods and in towns. Due to the fact that the players know that one campfire can burn down a whole town (=OOC), my characters were frowned upon (=IC) or, in another case, I was adressed OOC to delete the fires.

Making campfires can illustrate many nice events and happening, like cooking food in a cauldron, telling stories of foreign lands and old times, burning stuff in it, like doing a ritual or for causing smoke, ... All this was taken away or spoiled by the introduction of wildfires.

Players and, as it seems, their characters are frightened of campfires and refrain from lighting them in non-deserted areas. Also, we still have the problem that players might burn down places by intention, something I don't like at all. Even though the chance to cause a wildfire is just 1% and a wildfire can be stopped, this seems to be enough to make the use of campfires too dangerous in non-deserted places.

So, for the sake of RP, I suggest to deactivate wildfires. Make it something that can be done by GMs, in an event or quest, only.
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Well put Estralis

A campfire indoors SHOULD start a wildfire, but I have too many memories of sitting around a fire telling tales, and the day the bragon worshippers stuck their hand into one...

*signs the petition*
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

/signed Estralis

I'm no fan of the *wildfires*, cause i like to sit with my chars on a campfire and talk ... >.<

and now I hardly dare to do so :? + the campgrounds aren't safe anymore, too
Last edited by Alytys Lamar on Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Agreed, Everyone is scared to light a campfire now.
Executor

Post by Executor »

1%? if 1% of all fires in RL caused a wildfire, there wouldnt be much left... lol

signed
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

We are talking about wildfires and campfires here, and 1% is a small chance in Rl its far more dangerous, get into an urban district or forest and lit a fire somewhere then lets see how fast it spreads, I guess we could not eliminate the chance but more or less stop the wildfire with some other object, like maAking a stonecircel around it or something, thus it would stop campfire from spreading any wildfire.
Oh and something else, could the script have an addition, so that items like chairs and so on won't catch fire as long as chars stand on them?
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

why not a compromise?
seems, that pellandria is thinking in the right direction.

take some bricks or stones, put them on the same tile, before you put the wood, and the fire should be contained.
(should be easy to script. just an: if stone at same coordinates -> no fire spreading)

and/or a fire made on a tile of mud or streetpavement should not spread.
(so one could use campsites and fireplaces in houses)
Estralis Seborian

I fail to see the use of a developer spending even more time into this destructive feature. The only benefit(???) of this feature is that from time to time, places like Vanima and the seahorse get destroyed and have to be rebuild. Instead of spending even more time into this, a simple "--" in front of the if-check can result in more fun for everybody with almost no effort.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

A "--" in front of the if check would cause that every fire spreads.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Some of the most enjoyable times ig were at the campfires, I very much miss them... all the cities now have laws against a fire in town also. A big PLEASE for eliminating wildfires. I am not interested in reality to the game, but would like to bring back this RP time.
Last edited by Achae Eanstray on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

nitram, i love your dry sense of humor...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I'm not particularly bothered by them, as I have RA TAH, but I sympathize will you all :P

However, I am a fan of the new lightning striking trees and starting fires.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

I am not afraid to light a fire. I light them whenever I need one. Screw being scared. Also, lighting fires in towns are illegal? Damn, even unintentionally I break the laws.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I like Estralis' idea.. so...

/signed
Executor

Post by Executor »

Pellandria wrote:We are talking about wildfires and campfires here, and 1% is a small chance in Rl its far more dangerous, get into an urban district or forest and lit a fire somewhere then lets see how fast it spreads, I guess we could not eliminate the chance but more or less stop the wildfire with some other object, like maAking a stonecircel around it or something, thus it would stop campfire from spreading any wildfire.
Oh and something else, could the script have an addition, so that items like chairs and so on won't catch fire as long as chars stand on them?
I must have lit like 500 campfires in my life, and never have I seen a wildfire. There has never even been a wildfire in the woods near me. At least not in 50 years.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

allright then please go leave the house once, search yourself a nice wooden area, preferable with many dried up leaves on the ground, build a fire just there on top of the leaves and then tell me if a wildfire spread or not.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

However RL is, it should be sufficcent reality in Illa, that a campfire can not spread into wild as long as there is no item direct connected to the fire.

Campfires are a very important part of RP on tour, and telling tales, news and rumors should be able to illuminate by a small friendly warm fire.

So please do not ignite ordinary gras, forrest ground, sand or mud. If anybody place his/her fire direct beside a dry gras (This ones I can get herbs from), tree, bush or so it might spread. But not everywhere!

My chars will use campfires in the wild, and they did and will select the places exact as descibed abouve!
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Pellandria wrote:allright then please go leave the house once, search yourself a nice wooden area, preferable with many dried up leaves on the ground, build a fire just there on top of the leaves and then tell me if a wildfire spread or not.
I don't think people are this retarded.

Oh also, leaves shrivle and fail to burn any significant amount before they lose fuel. The fire will fail to get far.
martin

Post by martin »

Boys and girls,

let me say something:

None of you has seen a (in game) wildfire lately, right?

How about checking out and seeing and understanding things first before voting them off?

Thank you for your attention,

Martin

PS.: Is this also the way you come to RL-decisions? Not knowing something but being against it? Fine!
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

ok, so i will ask a precise question:

martin, when i light a fire beneath the pot with the threepoid, inside the house, can that fire ignite the nearby workbenches?
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

martin wrote:Boys and girls,

let me say something:

How about checking out and seeing and understanding things first before voting them off?

Martin

PS.: Is this also the way you come to RL-decisions? Not knowing something but being against it? Fine!
I had a wild fire in the desert one time, almost burned down Varshikar but luckily I had a cow and 100 buckets because I am a carpenter on that character. It was the day the game had crashed 4 times and I was trying to make 100 grey bottles and so my 100 or so logs were all lit at once and one of them spread. :P I still light fires though. Screw it wildfires rarely happen and if they do people will help you put them out so it is safer to do them in populated areas.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Korm Kormsen wrote: martin, when i light a fire beneath the pot with the threepoid, inside the house, can that fire ignite the nearby workbenches?
even the pot can catch fire, happend to me a few days ago in greenbriar
Frederick D'Aubigne

Post by Frederick D'Aubigne »

AlexRose wrote:I'm not particularly bothered by them, as I have RA TAH, but I sympathize will you all :P
Do you do that on purpose?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

There is so many server resets lately that wild fires are harmless.

I never stop lighting fires in random places, because my char is simply careless. Lovely stuff.
Thorin Solfgar

Post by Thorin Solfgar »

martin wrote:Boys and girls,

let me say something:

Martin

I had a wildfire and did extinguish the flames with one(!) bucket.
The original fire spread into 3 wildfire places. At start these wildfires
spread faster than I could extinguish them. It used 17 bucket loads
to turn all fires off. Interestingly I saw that pure desert tiles could
burn.

So

/signed
Estralis Seborian

oO I just burned down half of the GM-castle. :oops:

Should have used the testserver.
martin

Post by martin »

Thorin Solfgar wrote: Interestingly I saw that pure desert tiles could
burn.
That's untrue, only ITEMS can burn.

Martin
martin

Post by martin »

Estralis Seborian wrote:oO I just burned down half of the GM-castle. :oops:

Should have used the testserver.
Just wait for the next servercrash ;)
Thorin Solfgar

Post by Thorin Solfgar »

martin wrote:
Thorin Solfgar wrote: Interestingly I saw that pure desert tiles could
burn.
That's untrue, only ITEMS can burn.

Martin
I saw, what I saw!
MacDoosh

Post by MacDoosh »

Why does Martin always sound cranky? Poor fella...