Don't keep it so real

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Loralyn
Location: Follow me into this dark alley and i'll show you...

Don't keep it so real

Post by Loralyn »

I saw in game today that one character said weapons should not be drawn in the town of trollsbane. Why is this? Has this game grown so modern that we've all forgotten that in the day and age this game takes place everyone has a weapon. 12 year old little boys carried swords for goodness sake. Don't keep it so real guys, else all the fun will be sucked out.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

You been watching too many movies, a tool only designed for killing hasn't any place in the common person's hands. Knives are pretty useful, so are axes, but swords no. Unless your a soldier (having your weapon provided) or a knight (have the wealth) a sword is the least of your needs as a person in the middle ages. Having more than 2 changes of clothes would denote your doing pretty well in the context of how the majority lived.
Baiyan Trading Company

Post by Baiyan Trading Company »

Well, the people didn't have swords, or other big weapons. But it was very common, that women, crafters or older teenagers (about 14 years up) carried a dagger or a "belt-knife" with them, in the case, that someone tries to rob them.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Don't keep it so real guys, else all the fun will be sucked out
Thank you! I fear that for some PO's it has already happened.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

I have nothing against such rule. It is the task of the players to stay for or against it.

With my limited english i have some problems to understand following right: "weapons should not be drawn". What this mean exactly? That a person grabs for his weapon and point in direction of a propably victim? Or it is only to carry a weapon?

If first is the right, i have to tell you, that we have ingame laws for around 4 years now, which dont allow to fight in Trolls Bane. It is not new, only a question of definition when a fight begins. And this is a political question, ingame too.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Realism is 100% more important than fun, have you forgotten this is a game?
Irania

Post by Irania »

Fooster, you crack me up. Keep it up.
Damien

Post by Damien »

It depends in what time and what culture you look.
Around somewhere 'bout -x to 1000 the Saxons, in early times a collection of free germanic tribes, had the "habit" that every man wore a type of short sword, the so-called "saxa".
In other time period and places, weapons were forbidden to be owned by owned people.

But all in all, and we can say that again and again :
Illarion is a FANTASY WORLD. It does not have to be "historical".
A bit of logic is alright though.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

You been watching too many movies, a tool only designed for killing hasn't any place in the common person's hands. Knives are pretty useful, so are axes, but swords no. Unless your a soldier (having your weapon provided) or a knight (have the wealth) a sword is the least of your needs as a person in the middle ages. Having more than 2 changes of clothes would denote your doing pretty well in the context of how the majority lived.
The world of Illarion is closer to Middle Earth than it is to medieval Europe.

Weapons and armor are widely available on Gobaith. There are walking dead and the like on Gobaith.

Also, Troll's Bane is more like modern day New York than anything resembling medieval times(A bit exaggerated, but you get the point).
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

But it's partly because it looks so fine and polished. Broad paved streets which are clean, grassy openings, much space and room.. As opposed to narrow, dark alleys as soon as you move away from the main lanes that turn into mud as soon as it rains. Buildings that are cramped together as tightly as possible within the walls of the city, shit and garbage thrown on the streets from the windows.. and so on.

Dunno, if there is anything that can be done in that respect. At least I try to play Edward a bit more medieval by persistantly claiming that the city stinks.. :wink:
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I think it's more this 'government' thing they sorta have in TB, I don't know if it's the same like it was before (around the time Samantha was still around), but it stunk absolutely IMO.

Sure, you can have this partly, I guess they did, but at times they just went too far and too lame.

It *is* a fantasy world yes, but atleast in my opinnion such things should not be *that* bad as they where then(dunno if they still are).

Just my 2 cents, perhaps only one cent worth, but the other cent was tax money.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Sometimes we break out in song and dance, just for the hell of it.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Draw your weapon = Unsheathe it. I agree, there is no reason to get out your weapon in town unless there's a wolf or something, because it just promotes violence. If someone had a knife on their person or a gun in real life you wouldn't be too comfortable maybe, but think if they got it out. I'm sure you'd want them to put it away too.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

If someone had a knife on their person or a gun in real life you wouldn't be too comfortable maybe, but think if they got it out. I'm sure you'd want them to put it away too.
Livin' on the streets is rough!
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Cliu Beothach wrote:
If someone had a knife on their person or a gun in real life you wouldn't be too comfortable maybe, but think if they got it out. I'm sure you'd want them to put it away too.
Livin' on the streets is rough!
It really is
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Dese here are da streets.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Cliu Beothach wrote:Dese here are da streets.
You don't know crap about the streets, boy
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Fooser wrote:
Cliu Beothach wrote:Dese here are da streets.
You don't know crap about the streets, boy
I LIVE on the streets!
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Maybe it would be even funner if people just went ahead and played the game, instead of whinging about tiny issues.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Or maybe you could let them whine alone and go play the game instead of posting that.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:Maybe it would be even funner if people just went ahead and played the game, instead of whinging about tiny issues.
Maybe you've missed the whole point of the game.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Arameh wrote:Or maybe you could let them whine alone and go play the game instead of posting that.
Maybe you could let me go ahead and post that about people whining, and play the game yourself?

And Cliu, maybe you've missed the whole point of the game.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:
Arameh wrote:Or maybe you could let them whine alone and go play the game instead of posting that.
Maybe you could let me go ahead and post that about people whining, and play the game yourself?

Apparently YOU'VE missed the whole meaning of my remark.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Cliu Beothach wrote:
Skaalib Drurr wrote:

Apparently YOU'VE missed the whole meaning of my remark.
You clearly missed the point of Skaalib's remark.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

No no no nono no
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Woah there Ernies!