Balance of Weapons

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ghost_Archon

Balance of Weapons

Post by Ghost_Archon »

As I see it, or as I am finding it, the sword is the ultimate weapon. ( completely excluding magic)
It is the only weapon that has magic. (the dagger is poisoned)
What do those of use that are using staffs, rapiers, and maces?
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

Erm. What's the question? 0.o
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Currently the best way is using dual weapons, 2 handed weapons are pretty useless, shield + weapon is also way weaker, it does need some balance but I believe it can take some time, since there are a lot of others things that the developpers are working on.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

I brought this up before in the past. Anyone using weapons forms other than swords/axes (same weapons form) are at a huge disadvantage. You have to have a signifigantly higher level of skill to be on even footing with someone using swords or axes.

I believe it was said some balancing was done, but it still isn't anywhere near equal between slashing and concussion, and we won't even discuss where puncture fits in.
Ghost_Archon

Post by Ghost_Archon »

So this is why My characters have difficulty beating others with swords/axes. Majorly crappy

The other part of my original question is if there are any concussion or puncture weapons that are magical. This doesn't count the poisoned daggers.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

NirAntae wrote:I brought this up before in the past. Anyone using weapons forms other than swords/axes (same weapons form) are at a huge disadvantage. You have to have a signifigantly higher level of skill to be on even footing with someone using swords or axes.

I believe it was said some balancing was done, but it still isn't anywhere near equal between slashing and concussion, and we won't even discuss where puncture fits in.
Concussion, to my knowlage does more damage to heavy armour, no?

And Ghost_Archon, there's Machalin's dagger, but I think that's about it.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:
NirAntae wrote:I brought this up before in the past. Anyone using weapons forms other than swords/axes (same weapons form) are at a huge disadvantage. You have to have a signifigantly higher level of skill to be on even footing with someone using swords or axes.

Concussion, to my knowlage does more damage to heavy armour, no?

And Ghost_Archon, there's Machalin's dagger, but I think that's about it.
There is also firedagger, to my knowledge.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

What's a Machalin?
I know what a Malachin is ;)

Anywho, concussion should own and orcs should all weild stupidly big sledgehammers, except spudrug should have a smithing hammer.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

als far as I can say, the strongest concussion weapon should be that elven mage-staff. Namfa needs three, sometimes four hits with it to kill a pig and that is about the same with a doubleaxe. (namfalur doesn't have any fighting skills, but I test the weapons he can make sometimes)
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Kev used a warhammer, with 12 str and 12 willpower, the rest all 10, an average warhammer if I recall, and without skill killed a pig in two or three hits.
Taeryon Silverlight

Well, my staff was very bad and old. :oops: (Namfa has the maximum str, dex, perc of a dwarf)
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

testing weapons on pigs is useless...they have no skill and cant determine the weapons strength on them. ANY weapon can kill them in 2-3 hits.
Taeryon Silverlight

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:testing weapons on pigs is useless...they have no skill and cant determine the weapons strength on them. ANY weapon can kill them in 2-3 hits.
I wanna see any of your chars killing a pig withing 2 hits while using a Serinjah-Sword :wink:
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Shall Kl'urk show you? Shandariel kills them in two hits with daggers!
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:Shandariel kills them in two hits with daggers!
Daggers! So she hit 4 times. Not two :P
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:testing weapons on pigs is useless...they have no skill and cant determine the weapons strength on them. ANY weapon can kill them in 2-3 hits.
It also depends on stats, and weapon quality.
Try killing a pig with a balanced char, using a bad old serinjah sword or something.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Silas Farron wrote:How about RPing istead of just going for the "best" weapons? -.-
/signed
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Silas Farron wrote:How about RPing istead of just going for the "best" weapons? -.-
My idea exactly *rp's to stab pigs with daggers* :P
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Testing on pigs is extremely useless.

Retlak with 20 strength kills one in 2 or 3 hits with a staff,
Retlak with 5 strength kills one in 2 or 3 hits with a staff.

You should be testing on warrior npcs.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

if all orcs should have big hammer then alex should have a gaint tumor growing in his head that kill him in the next couple of days.

Its hard enough to play an orc alex they dont really need any more rules of how they should act.

In fact I think the orc are the only freely choosen race that have rules that are enforced of how they should act and speak. Dwarfs have rules about how they should speak, but mainly they can be good or bad.

oh man getting off topic. Not really sure about the weapons, but I know the daggers can be a big dissavantage. In my opinon sneak attacks need to be added, and the character should be moved to the rear of the screen and not in the middle so he cant see whats behind him.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Kind of off topic, but who makes stuff magical? Shouldnt only a mage be able to do that? i heard patric complaining about mages not having a trade some time back, wouldn't that be a good mage trade? Of course one would need graphis for more magical weapons though.
Agreed, weapon system needs more balance...
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Well smiths can make magical weapons currently, mine makes magical longswords randomly. But i believe there should be some sort of new item needed (and introduced into the game) such as.....

Toe nail of Samantha. With this you could make a magical weapon.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hu'greu wrote:if all orcs should have big hammer then alex should have a gaint tumor growing in his head that kill him in the next couple of days.

Its hard enough to play an orc alex they dont really need any more rules of how they should act.

In fact I think the orc are the only freely choosen race that have rules that are enforced of how they should act and speak. Dwarfs have rules about how they should speak, but mainly they can be good or bad.

oh man getting off topic. Not really sure about the weapons, but I know the daggers can be a big dissavantage. In my opinon sneak attacks need to be added, and the character should be moved to the rear of the screen and not in the middle so he cant see whats behind him.
Actually a while back, most orcs used a warhammer and they pwnt all. Good times.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Actually, using 2 daggers at once really is not that bad, they have less attack but they are very quick and have a decent parry, the main problem is 2 handed weapons and weapon + shield, for both concussion and slashing. Both are about the same, the reason concussion seems 'weaker' is because most of its weapons are 2 handed, try using 2 maces instead of a staff and you will see its much better.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Agreed. Though we NEED to add the other concussion weapons in.
Liles

Post by Liles »

Lrmy wrote:Agreed. Though we NEED to add the other concussion weapons in.
There's plenty of staffs
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Staffs are two handed weapons, as duscussed before two handed weapons are weak. plus the other staffs are absolutely useless.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Yeah, most staves were meant to be...erm...I donno.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Retlak wrote:Staffs are two handed weapons, as duscussed before two handed weapons are weak. plus the other staffs are absolutely useless.
A mage might disagree... Some staffs have nice effects.

By the way, there are useful concussion weapons, I know at least 2 of them who outstand most slashing weapons. Also, characters with the right attributes are able to deliver alot of damage with two handed weapons, they are not that useless at all.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

When was the last time you tested?

Some staves have regalia, but they are VERY rare.

For concussion weapons, none can compete with dual swords, NONE currently, unless they are special weapons no one has.

Two handed weapons can be fair with high tactic, but they still are way lesser than using 2 swords.