Have you noticed the recent...

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Gildon

Have you noticed the recent...

Post by Gildon »

Entrance of many fearless warriors, who have absoloutely NO fears at all, and there are tons of them. And no one please bring upon me this rubbish "Look who's talking" because Rankor has quite a big fear, obvious one too.

Discussion?

Oh and please avoid flaming me, I seem to be a magnet to that every time I post.
Atuan Silverheart

Post by Atuan Silverheart »

erm.. explain a bit better and maybe a few examples ;) (without names ofcourse)
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

There is no need for an example. Many people just don't have fears like every normal person. ( I know this for a fact after one year of roleplaying here, although it increased a lot as of recent )
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Well, some characters just avoid getting into sitiuations where the risks of dying are too great.. That's not the same as shivering in your boots everytime some random person hurls a vague threat at the character. :wink:

Besides, I'm not flaming you.. But you do remember the infamous jailing event? Three guys vs. Rankor? Yeah. :D :wink:
Asesino

Post by Asesino »

there is no need for a fear. weaknesses are part of a good char and give him also depth I believe, but these don't have to be obvious, and they even less have to be fears.some people are better at hiding their weakness, other worse... if you want an attribute I would say essence... but I for my part think, that with a good char the weaknesses and strengthes are not to be separated clearly, but are weaved together
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Well, I prefer these type of characters, generally they dont get that strong and are the first to rush into a horde of demons, so generally i let Stephen slyly stay back, observe the situation, wait for arameh to swing by then pwn whatever it is and collect all the fearless warrior's items that happen to be laying around on the ground.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

not one of you threee seems to have understood, what our robber baron wrote.

only garrett sees the light.... and abuses it....

yes, we have more and more reckless chars.
i think that is linked with the ability and/or the will to roleplay.

a RP-wise developed char will be dearer to the player, than a standard hack 'n slay char.

so the reckless chars might be an indication, that we got more and more engine-players.

korm
Atuan Silverheart

Post by Atuan Silverheart »

Maybe this little quote that i've found tells how right gildon is:
Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:Warning: Do not do this at home. When you see a demon, run like hell.
No actual n00bs were hurt during this production.

N00b1 and n00b2 are walking near the lake, when they see a big demon fighting some mages.

<n00b1> OMG it's a demon!!!
<n00b2> No biggie, i see those all the time... In fact i have 2 at home. One is cooking and one is washing my dishes.
<n00b1> I'll slay you demon!!!!

N00b1 is running to the demon while n00b2 points at the creature laughing.
N00b1 walks trough the wall of flame which is containing the demon and faces him.

<Demon> I am imortal! Your weapons can not hurt me!
<n00b1> Fear me demon cos' i whield the Uber-Magical-Extra-Powerful-Multiple-Function-Plastic-Fork !!!!!!

N00b1 pokes the demon in the buttcheak with the fork. The demon swings his claws at the n00b doing almost fatal wounds.
The n00b gets up like nothing happened.

<n00b1> I shall defeat you this time demon!! i shall use my uber-powerful-magical-slingshot that shoots uber-magical-...erm...-thingys!!!

The demon looks at the n00b with a bored gaze and steps back trough the portal, shutting it forever."This ain't no fun"

Late that day in he deapths of hell:

<demon1> Hi Jim!
<demon> Hi Earl!
<demon1> So how was your invasion of the above-world?

Demon shakes his head

<demon> Crazy mortals.. They're all on sibanac.

:P :P :P
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Possibly, but many players started as sheer skill players. And it has been like this for ages, eventually after the fifth or so time they have been wiped out by getting in a fight they knew they would never have had a chance in, they will stop by the tavern and start their first roleplay. Or you can do what I do when im not collecting materials and talk to them and pwn them to Stephens side...

I need to rebuild Stephens army of mindless noob zombies...
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

I need to rebuild Stephens army of mindless noob zombies...
the kallahorns ain't enough?

but seriously, do you really think, all those baby killers or killer babies will become roleplayers?
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Yes, many players currently were noobs during the lich war, you give them interesting concepts to play with and they will convert. It works everytime, and everyone with an imagination could do it, I regret not doing it more often but I have a buttload of things to get for Kallahorn so.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Please Rankor, stop saying it is bad rp every time somone does not let you threat them to give you money. Cause that is what this is about... Do you remember the time you expected to escape jail by hiding under the bed, and when we did not let you, you blamed us for rp'ing badly?
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:Well, some characters just avoid getting into sitiuations where the risks of dying are too great.. That's not the same as shivering in your boots everytime some random person hurls a vague threat at the character. :wink:

Besides, I'm not flaming you.. But you do remember the infamous jailing event? Three guys vs. Rankor? Yeah. :D :wink:
Rankor has no reason to fear physical damage from guards, he has faced death once.
Cuthalion wrote:Please Rankor, stop saying it is bad rp every time somone does not let you threat them to give you money. Cause that is what this is about... Do you remember the time you expected to escape jail by hiding under the bed, and when we did not let you, you blamed us for rp'ing badly?
Woaaah, I'm not saying anyone is doing bad rp, and yes, it was partly my fault at that time, I was in a bad mood, so forgive me for that incident. And stop assuming I'm some sort of elitist roleplayer who can't live up to the title of 'critique of other rp' because I'm not, I'm just trying to start a discussion, which is quite interesting.
Garrett Gwenour wrote:Possibly, but many players started as sheer skill players. And it has been like this for ages, eventually after the fifth or so time they have been wiped out by getting in a fight they knew they would never have had a chance in, they will stop by the tavern and start their first roleplay. Or you can do what I do when im not collecting materials and talk to them and pwn them to Stephens side...
That is usually what happens.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Garett Gwenour wrote:Possibly, but many players started as sheer skill players. And it has been like this for ages, eventually after the fifth or so time they have been wiped out by getting in a fight they knew they would never have had a chance in, they will stop by the tavern and start their first roleplay...
This is the way it is, especially with people who play games but haven't played a hard core rp before. I did it. Many others did it. They'll come around. Until then just enjoy the specticle an engage them in a roleplay situation.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Laughs at Atuan
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Quinasa wrote:
Garett Gwenour wrote:Possibly, but many players started as sheer skill players. And it has been like this for ages, eventually after the fifth or so time they have been wiped out by getting in a fight they knew they would never have had a chance in, they will stop by the tavern and start their first roleplay...
This is the way it is, especially with people who play games but haven't played a hard core rp before. I did it. Many others did it. They'll come around. Until then just enjoy the specticle an engage them in a roleplay situation.
I never skillgained :/

I tried to rp and failed XD
Asesino

Post by Asesino »

AlexRose wrote:
Quinasa wrote:

after having seen you in giants I claim your problem is, that you try to pwn other people... with rp? :P
I started with rp and discovered the skills xD
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Well, we can't all be perfect, and Sam said "many players" not "every single player". Are we done here?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Asesino wrote:
AlexRose wrote:
Quinasa wrote: This is the way it is, especially with people who play games but haven't played a hard core rp before. I did it. Many others did it. They'll come around. Until then just enjoy the specticle an engage them in a roleplay situation.

after having seen you in giants I claim your problem is, that you try to pwn other people... with rp? :P
I started with rp and discovered the skills xD
Pfft... I have no skill to pwn people with.
In Giants, however; yes I can pwn you. Good thing you realised that and started joining my team ;)

GYRO!
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

Recklessness is a character trait, just like the caution. It's entirely unfair to believe that a character can only be 'well played' if they have the personality of the average individual pulled from the streets.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Yes, but the problem is that if everybody think like that, soon noone will be like the average guy...
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Cuthalion wrote:Yes, but the problem is that if everybody think like that, soon noone will be like the average guy...
Yes they will. The entire game isn't made up entirely of new players and while the new players are learning the older players are still IG setting a good example. Not everyone can have an apparent weakness or an obvious fear, that too, is unreasonable. There are extremes and there are gray areas.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Cuthalion wrote:Yes, but the problem is that if everybody think like that, soon noone will be like the average guy...
As far as I can remember, I don't recall ever seeing a "average guy" in this game ever.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I think Bumbol was pretty average.
Jeanette

Post by Jeanette »

Gro'bul wrote:As far as I can remember, I don't recall ever seeing a "average guy" in this game ever.
I beg to differ. :roll:
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Gro'bul wrote: As far as I can remember, I don't recall ever seeing a "average guy" in this game ever.
*clears throat*

Az is very average. He is weak, he has fear for and avoids all things that are dangerous (which is why many think of him as boring, too careful, etc.) Another of my characters (who shall remain nameless) is also rather average. She may be less careful than Az but she still avoids danger. Neither of my two characters set out to dominate in anything, Az never tried to become leader of the druids, and neither of my characters have very good skills.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Azuros wrote:
Gro'bul wrote: As far as I can remember, I don't recall ever seeing a "average guy" in this game ever.
*clears throat*

Az is very average. He is weak, he has fear for and avoids all things that are dangerous (which is why many think of him as boring, too careful, etc.) Another of my characters (who shall remain nameless) is also rather average. She may be less careful than Az but she still avoids danger. Neither of my two characters set out to dominate in anything, Az never tried to become leader of the druids, and neither of my characters have very good skills.
Will can speak a bit of ancient and elf. He can cast Lhor ra. He can play lute. He is a weakling. He is pessimistic and hates his life. He is skinny, with not much muscle. He would look about average but his face is white and has scars on it so not so good. He has no self confidence. He is infamous, hated, found annoying and stupid, critisized and is always suggested to be inferior.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I didn't read all of this but......

Remember we are playing a game. In real life no one would walk up to a mummy, ogre, skeleton, troll, or the like and fight it. I do agree everyone could Role Play their character's fears more than they do, but Illarion will always have characters that will be "fearless". This is by no means a new topic either. I suggest going back to old threads if you can find them and read.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

But this is in a diferent setting. Undeads are common in this world, and so they do not infliect that much fear, probably. Maybe it is not so diferent from hunting in earlier ages. Allso, it has allways been wars, one have fought them, even though one have been scared. What I was refering to though, was for example all the noble chars around... All the half breeds...