Out-Of-Character

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nitram
Developer

Out-Of-Character

Post by Nitram »

Ich möchte hiermit, da es mir langsam als nötig erscheint, alle Spieler von Illarion noch einmal auf Regel #8 hinweisen.

Es ist warscheinlich, einfach nicht klar genug geschrieben, das OOC soweit es möglich ist im Spiel vermieden werden sollte.

Keiner hat etwas dagegen, wenn wir einem anderen Char sagt, das ihr kurz weg seit oder euch verabschiedet oder ähnliches. Das ist völlig in Ordnung.

Aber OOC Diskussionen im Spiel über irgendwelche IG Geschehnisse oder über irgendwelche anderen Dinge sind zu unterlassen. Genauso sinnlose Texte. Lautes OOC sowieso.

Die einzige Ausnahme für längere OOC Gespräche ist ein Gespräch mit einem Anfänger um diesem das Spiel und das RP näher zu bringen.

Das Überwachungsprogramm das von Illarion verwendet wird, meldet mir jede einzelne Zeile OOC die im Spiel gesprochen wird.

Wenn OOC, das einfach nichts im Spiel zu tun hat, auffällt, dann wird der betroffene Spieler erst verwarnt und dann richtig abgestraft. Und diese Strafen werden Charakter Sperrungen sein, deren Länge exponential mit der Anzahl der Verstöße ansteigt.

Und nur um das mal in nachvollziehbare Werte zu bringen:

Code: Select all

Zeit der Sperrung in Tagen = ( Verstöße - 1 ) ^ 2
Für OOC Gespräche gibt es Messanger, Private Nachrichten und das Forum.

Wenn ihr im Spiel seit, dann um zu RPn und nicht um euch OOC zu unterhalten.

Nitram

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

Since it appears really needed, I want to tell every player of Illarion about the rule #8.

Maybe its not written clear enougth, but it says that OOC should be avoided in the game.

Noone has a problem with a short afk message or a goodbye message or something like this. No Problem.

But OOC discussions about some IG happenings or about anything else should not take place. Same with useless texts and loud ooc.

The only exception for a longer ooc conversation is a newbe, who needs some help. If you tell him OOC what to do and how to roleplay, its fine.

The monitoring tool Illarion uses, tells me now, every single line of OOC in the game.

If we find OOC in the game, that has no use and nothing to do in the game, then we will warn the player the first time. If the player still takes part in OOC conversations the real punishments take place. Those punishments are bans, that time raise with the amount of violations.

To put this in traceable values:

Code: Select all

time of ban in days = ( violations - 1 ) ^ 2
If you want to speak OOC use Messangers, private messages or the forum.

If you are ingame you want to roleplay and not talk ooc.

Nitram
Last edited by Nitram on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theon

Post by Theon »

Thank you!
Lutz

Post by Lutz »

find ich gut :wink:
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

Does it really matter if two people are whispering OOC where no one can hear them?
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

8. Out-of-Character (OOC)

Illarion puts the most focus on roleplaying. Any out-of-character talk should be whispered, or take place outside town. Also, speak as your type of character would in medieval times. Do not use modern slang. Do not speak of your skills. Sentences like "My parry skill is light blue" are highly frowned upon. If players are talking to each other (not their characters) they should both keep it short, do it at a quiet place where other players wouldn't be disturbed and even then they should whisper.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Gort Greegog wrote:Does it really matter if two people are whispering OOC where no one can hear them?
Yes
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Gort Greegog wrote:Does it really matter if two people are whispering OOC where no one can hear them?
There are always people who hear :twisted: But I think it is pretty good to have someone inforce it, it is really annoying when someone chases you or bugs you with an OOC issue.
Atuan Silverheart

Post by Atuan Silverheart »

At last! no more n00bs disturbing RP during quests!
Thanks Nitram, you're the best :D
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Still, let's not get overzealous with it.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

It is perfect! If someone wants to talk ooc, get on msn or some other messenger service.
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

Atuan Silverheart wrote:At last! no more n00bs disturbing RP during quests!
Thanks Nitram, you're the best :D
:roll:
Nitram wrote:The only exception for a longer ooc conversation is a newbe, who needs some help. If you tell him OOC what to do and how to roleplay, its fine.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:Still, let's not get overzealous with it.
We read the thing that are said ooc. If you speak one or two lines, whispered then... who cares? I think noone would be disturbed by this.

If you help a n00b, all are fine with anyway.

But those discussions i had to read in the last days... those get punished.

Nitram
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:It is perfect! If someone wants to talk ooc, get on msn or some other messenger service.
Not really.

For instance a sitiuation where you were involved as well.
I was chatting OOC (whisper) with the murderer-lizardskin lady after the servercrash, waiting for people (you :wink: ) to log back in. A Gamemaster charges in and tells us to stop OOC. For what gain? To bore us for the next ten minutes of waiting? To make our characters act irrationally with the previous scene in mind?

(If someone here has a guilty conscience.. :D )
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Well, yes, maybe I should have pm'ed you or something, but you could just as easily chatted with her on msn or the like couldn't you? :lol:
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:Well, yes, maybe I should have pm'ed you or something, but you could just as easily chatted with her on msn or the like couldn't you? :lol:
Not really, as the chatting with her was not the goal there. We were simply waiting for other people (you :P ) to log in. Had you been there, I would not have chatted with her. Period.

Besides, chatting with her over the MSN would have at least required the exchange of e-mail adresses ingame. Horror! :wink:
Gisela

Post by Gisela »

OOC game related versus just general talk OOC
It appears there is no distinguishing difference then :?

Some may not have a messenger set up, and can use the forum, but sometimes the forum is hard to get to.

There's always a question of who to ask too-if you don't know what char to ask your questions of then that is difficult to message using the forum.

As far as posting in the forum, if it is guild related or something not for general forum, post in off-topic asking someone to message you :?:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:It is perfect! If someone wants to talk ooc, get on msn or some other messenger service.
It's so perfect that it didn't used to need a topic, it was just enforced...

It's really sad when someone finds rule 8 being enforced to be incredible. Shows just how lenient Illarion's become.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I do not understand why it would cause problems when two people whisper ooc. Not everyone uses msn or the forums and thus speaking to each other ooc ingame is the only feasible option.
Solumn

Post by Solumn »

Yes, go on msn something. It's really annoying that people always try to speak OOC. I barely use it at all.
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

To put it bluntly, Illarion is an RPG not a chat room.
You go IG to interract and RP not to hold OOC chats.

If there was no rule #8 there would be little to no rp because everyone would be chatting ooc. If you arent rp'ing log out and find another way to communicate. There are plenty of ways other than IM or forum.

It could also be classed as cheating, because you are not rp'ing or contributing to the game but are gaining the benefits of being logged IG. (IE faster recovery of MC/skill cap). Which basically makes it the same as leaving yourself logged in but idle, which is definitely frowned upon if not an outright rule breach.

As stated. If its OOC Keep it short. Keep it whispered. And remember poor old Nitram has to read through all the BS. :wink:
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

How does two people whispering ooc in a corner of the map effect you jeremy?
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

It dosen't affect anyone. I really hope people don't take this all too far.

There really isen't a horrible OOC problem. I do not think it ruins any RP going on. If you see it just ignore it if it bothers you so much. If it is in the corner of the map and no one hears you exept maybe Nitram then it does not do anything to RP in any way, shape, or form. Now if you talk for 20 minutes OOC that could be considered cheating, but anything less is just absurd to consider cheating.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

If a thief trys to rob someone and this one doesn't respond instandly and the thief starts an ooc discussion how lame this is, then i know there IS a ooc problem.

This happend, in different situations, many times lately. And something like this distroys the roleplay situation.
Damien

Post by Damien »

The same counts for, if two characters have been involved in a conflict (sometimes during an event), and one gets killed and returns with loud nonsense OOC : "You did not emote your attacks enough else i wouldnt have died" etc.
If i stumble across such actions again, the concerning person will be removed quite istantly too. ;)
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

if you startet to play this game you acceptet the rules. so where is the problem now? if you act again the laws in real you have the live with the penalties, too. ((ich hoff mal das geht als englisch durch...))
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Friedwulfa wrote:if you startet to play this game you acceptet the rules. so where is the problem now? if you act again the laws in real you have the live with the penalties, too. ((ich hoff mal das geht als englisch durch...))
Yeah, but the cops can't shoot you for jaywalking. No reason for the moral panic, ladies and gentlemen.. I do understand your point of the view very well in some sitiuations.
I wrote:Still, let's not get overzealous with it.
Personally two people whispering OOC in the furthest corner of the map doesn't bother me to the slightest, as long as no IC-secrets or similiar information is exchanged between the players. I can't see why there would be any honest reason for other people to care about that either.

Honestly, supporting the gamemasters in their decisions is all fine and dandy, but I still have my reservations towards the policy in some respects.

Only after seeing how lenient or harsh they are in the in the actual enforcement of the policy, I can formulate my final opinion on it.
Hence, as I said.. I still have reservations.
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

The Point is, if it's allowed to speak ooc in this corner, where ends this corner? Next time they maybe stand five steps closer to a rp-situation. Is it still allowed? There is no possibility for a sliding border. There is just allowed/not allowed. So it's fair for all.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Friedwulfa wrote:The Point is, if it's allowed to speak ooc in this corner, where ends this corner? Next time they maybe stand five steps closer to a rp-situation. Is it still allowed? There is no possibility for a sliding border. There is just allowed/not allowed. So it's fair for all.
As long as they bother no one (I.e. that no one is within the reach of the whisper, or in the same screen - Whatever) it should not be punished. Why? Because it bothers no one.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Be thankful you have warning, this is no democracy or republic. :wink:
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Gro'bul wrote:Be thankful you have warning, this is no democracy or republic. :wink:
Yeah, but that does not prevent me from questioning the decisions made by gamemasters or how those decisions should be enforced, right?

(Famous last words :D :wink: )