Suggestion since we're going to have a nice weather system:

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Suggestion since we're going to have a nice weather system:

Post by Llama »

The suggestion is simply, that characters feel cold and therefore lose health.

The character should lose health by X constantly, where X is a variable dependant on the following:

1) Amounts of clothes worn [Fur reduces it a lot, armor doesn't protect much from cold]
2) TIle stood on (simpler way to determine inside or outside) Grass, Mountains are way colder, Wooden insides much less; desert tiles negligable unless night time
3) TIme of day (night/day)
4) Whether
5) Race.. Lizardfolk are unlikly to feel cold when its raining...
6) Proximity to a fire?

This factor should be 0 for most of the time, but when its raining. and you'r outside wearing nothing ; expect to be found frozen to death...

Comments?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Losing health would be sooo anoying, however, maybe imply something else such as, moving slowly, performing actions slowly etc. nice idea though.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I think the losing health would only have to be in extreme weather, and it would have to happen in very tiny amounts, if at all.
Llama

Re: Suggestion since we're going to have a nice weather syst

Post by Llama »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:This factor should be 0 for most of the time, but when its raining. and you'r outside wearing nothing ; expect to be found frozen to death...
My thoughts exactly?

Slower actions et cetera would be hard to program... IMHO
Rinya

Post by Rinya »

At this point, characters can shoot arrows at each other and still be alive and well with 20 sticking out of their torsos. I'm not sure if this realism idea will be any easier to achieve. We are still deep in the development of weather, and it's not an easy task even having any weather at all. Okay for a proposal, maybe, but it's not likely a wish that will be coming true any time in the next few... years. Maybe only if you have some incredily ingenius programming idea that you could share with the dev's. It would have to be incredily ingenius.
Llama

Post by Llama »

SUCH as:

Healing rate = current healing rate - cold effect

Cold effect = [MAX clothes points - P0ints from clothes]([Tile effect])*([Normal temp-current temp])-] - if lizard] ^ (Boolean not near fire)

Simple no?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

One word: No!
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:SUCH as:

Healing rate = current healing rate - cold effect

Cold effect = [MAX clothes points - P0ints from clothes]([Tile effect])*([Normal temp-current temp])-] - if lizard] ^ (Boolean not near fire)

Simple no?
Well, try to look through the way lua works, and look at your idea again. Not the way you imply it.

P.S.

It is spelled weather.
4) Whether
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Not only not simple, but also a big No for the overall proposal.

Always ask yourself a question: "Will this addition to the game make the game more enjoyable and motivate players to play the game?"

Dying from rain is nothing I want to see in a game.
Zach Bora

Post by Zach Bora »

Busted
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Are you crazy? Heatstroke, rain, frostbite...sounds like a blast to me.
Durgin

Post by Durgin »

ummm how about the worthless slowing of gameplay?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Dying from rain is nothing I want to see in a game.
What about running around wearing nothing in the middle of trollsbane when its snowing and being all right?

Or walking over through the desert wearing a fur coat...?
Necrontyr_arising
Location: The Last Samurai is a brilliant film...."I knew a bob once, god he was as ugly as a mule"

Post by Necrontyr_arising »

wouldnt it show that the character that did that is quite 'hard' :lol:
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

While these features would add the dread realism, they wouldn't add any fun. You can roleplay being affected by the weather and we expect everyone to do this, but we're not going to impose penalties for a graphical effect.
Ghorn

Post by Ghorn »

i can see already the new characters coming ingame with few coins and just a shirt and trousers dieng after a few hours because they are not able to find any tailor who may give them warm clothes.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Hadrian_Abela wrote: What about running around wearing nothing in the middle of trollsbane when its snowing and being all right?
What's wrong with that? Being in the cold doesnt make someone sick.
Avareniah

Post by Avareniah »

What if my character is Canadian?
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Avareniah, darling, there is no Canada in Illarion. Awful truth, yes, I know.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

You can however say that your character is from a land with lots of snow, white bears and lakes.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

You wear layers of protective padding under a suite of armor to reduce blunt trauma, arming coats and caps they are called. So, if anything heat.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The reason I had made the above suggestion was for this:

Currently tailoring is The most useless skill tree around. Almost No-one buys clothes, although NPCs do; and gloves and shoes are normally bought in their iron form. Leather armor is so weak that it can only be used for practice (even then, you can salvage it from the skeleton), and even 200 coins will get you a chain shirt from an NPC. Quite frankly, the only thing tailoring is good for, is making Leggings.. Even cloaks are usually roleplayed. Remember Eliron's "Blue cloak" posts? He never ever ever had a blue cloak item. So that which I had suggested, would give (apart from others) reason for tailoring.

And I do not agree on adding things simply because they make the game more "fun". Neither of these is 'fun', but they make the game more challenging which makes you enjoy it more: Dying, Losing skill the longer you are dead, Getting tired, Having to eat, NPCs being able to kill you et cetera. I'm not saying that they should be removed, far from it, but if a n00b gets killed by an NPC, thats no fun either; so why not the weather as well?

-
To continue the idea, (this was going to be a joint suggestion; but I didn't have the time to write it all)

WINDY

Its windy; long range weapons get harder to use, depending on the person's SKILL; walking gets also harder, as you fight off the wind.

Fog

Long range weapons are out of the question, unless the character has perfect PERCEPTION. Fighting in general will be problematical.

-
Neither of those ideas will make the game more, 'fun'; but they add realism and challanges.