'Unusual' character abilities

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

NirAntae

'Unusual' character abilities

Post by NirAntae »

What is the Illarion etiquette if one wants a character with a skill or ability that is either highly unusual, or not encompassed within the 'normal' boundaries of the game?

For instance, my main character, Maggie, is a long-standing RP character (I've been playing her since birth, and her mother for years before that.) Because of certain things that have happened to her in the distant past, she has some abilities that are completely outside anything in the game currently. (I don't want to go into what exactly on a public forum.) I thought to just 'exclude' them from this incarnation of the character, but with certain things she's been involved with, it would be a useful RP tool.

As another example, a friend of mine asked me what the stance would be on a vampire character, if it wasn't played like the 'super powerful' creatures you normally see in fiction. No real incredible powers, just slightly increased senses... not undead, just long-lived... etc. Mostly just a twist to throw in his RP.

Are such things alright, as long as they aren't allowed to get out of hand and force-rp people or what I refer to as 'god mode', acting as if your character is somehow impervious to everything or has a huge advantage?

Should one speak to a GM directly about the specifics of such things before implementing them to see if they would be alright?
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

Hmmm, a toughy, genrally if it's not in game you can't play it, however the GM's have been known to make exceptions in special cases, so you should ask them.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Every character which has special roleplayed abilitys, or is in a way you described have to be accepted by a GM. Before you start playing something like that, speak to a GM. It is NOT allowed to play werewolves, vampires, demonkinds or anything else like that without asking a GM before you do that.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

You can however roleplay a character that thinks he is changing into a werewolf.. or vampire.. or has a demon in him.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Yes, if he thinks that is okay. but not if he really CAN do it, or even roleplay abilitys like "#me sneaks to the victim in front, his vampireabilitys allowe him to stay invisible, with a quick move he grab her by her shoulders and buries his long teeth into her neck"
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

It isn't allowed to play other races than the given one, as Galim already said. If you want to play another one, specify this and contact a gm, please.
Galim

Post by Galim »

To be a nitpicker: vampires and werewolves are not other races, just other "forms". a human vampire is still a human, same with dwarf, elf and so on ;)
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

*laughing*. Dwarven vampires XD.....

"#me sneaks up behind the woman, using his vampire powers for stealth.
#me grabs the woman by the... knees?
#me tries to hop up and down to reach her neck so he can sink his teeth in.
! Victim girl: "Um, dwarf? What are you trying to do?....."
#me hops up and down and snarls like a vampire.
Someone (xxxxx): "Haaaa haaaa, stooopid stumpie nub big 'nuff"
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

Ziel's Char sneaks up behind the woman, using his vampire powers for stealth.
Ziel's Char grabs the woman by the... knees?
Ziel's Char tries to hop up and down to reach her neck so he can sink his teeth in.
Irania the Sultry Vixin: F*** you!
Ziel's Char hops up and down and snarls like a vampire.
Kl'urk (w): ((DUDE! YOU CANT DO THAT!))
Crowd: Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

---

Futhermore, i want to add you cant be a drow either. :roll:
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Ziel actually said something usefull! *grabs his heart* Oh dear.

Anyhow, I must concur, we appear to have a drow child IG. All nice and stuff, but if he gets to play a drow, I (!!) get to play a drow. I want to know if this is actually allowed within in the game, seeing as we technically cannot do it, and the fact remains that drow are only played by GMs, or for specific quests.
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

Misjbar.. Im that child... Im no longer allowed to..
Galim

Post by Galim »

Drows ARE not welliked peoples. from view of rp many characters should have the same wish to kill them on sight like by moshranfollowers *smiles into misjbars direction*
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

Ziel, maybe you can continue the character as a half-drow? They might let you.
Kaja Wolfagen

Post by Kaja Wolfagen »

Galim wrote:Drows ARE not welliked peoples. from view of rp many characters should have the same wish to kill them on sight like by moshranfollowers *smiles into misjbars direction*
Moshran followers are bad! :shock:

Why did no one tell me this!
Galim

Post by Galim »

Hehe, its not our problem that you never read moonsilver. there you would have find it. also the information that orc-shaman usually tell their orcs that they follow a completly different god, not moshran. they lie to them about that.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Is someone complaining about someone else's roleplay? :roll:

And, besides, usually orcs do not follow Moshran at all. But in the case that they do, they usually do know Galim. You should wait for the new and improved Moonsilver before judging (and yes it is underway, I had a slight preview =D)
Galim

Post by Galim »

The new and improved moonsilver is not known to me. so i am not talking of it. if it comes the whole thing is something different, but until it comes, old moonsilver counts for me. and it also counted in the past.
Kaja Wolfagen

Post by Kaja Wolfagen »

I thought i was creating peace and comfort..... i feel violated :(
Galim

Post by Galim »

uuum...what? :shock: .

Misjibar, i had a little preview too. And I know yet that the coming new background will cause many angry minds, because it will destroy or interfere with alot of the current roleplay. many have to change their roleplay or characterconcepts because they fit not with the new comming background. like the elves for example.
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

Devy, rember what i said? Im 3/4 drow now ^-^
Galim

Post by Galim »

Oh...so we will of course kill just 3/4 of you *smiles*
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

Leave the arms so i can farm.
PhoenixsPhyre

Post by PhoenixsPhyre »

Okay, NirAntae asked a question earlier about a "vampiric" character. I want to say that the character she was asking for was me. :) And I thank her for doing so, although she didn't ahve to. :) Anyway first question reguarding that is: I want my character to be a vampire. But, I have never played a vampire that is like "Movie vampires" and such. My vampire characters DO drink blood, but they pretty much just have heightened senses. None of this amazingly superior strength where one can lift a freaking house just because he's annoyed. I kind of refer to the vampires I play as sort of "evolved" human beings. They're not immortal, just long-lived. And they can get killed and die just as easy as anyone else. lol Like I said, pretty much the only "abilites" my character would have, would be heightened senses. He would drink blood, yes, but wouldn't be one of these vampires that freaking runs around biting everything with a neck. (Do Orcs have necks . . .? )lol. He wouldn't be the type to go off on a bloodthirsty rampage. lol
Secondly: How do I contact a GM to find out about this and get it approved or shot down? :D Thanks for all the help. :D
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Simply PM one via the forums. I'd recommend either Estralis, Aegohl or Japheth,
PhoenixsPhyre

Post by PhoenixsPhyre »

Thank you. :-) But, uhm . . since I am new to the forum, and apparently an idiot because I can't find my way around . . . how do I PM anyone? :(
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

At the top right of the forum, there are the words "you have no new messages". Click on it. Then click on "new post".
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

go to the link "You have no new messages" in the upper right hand corner. You should be directed to your PM box where you can make new messages.

too slow:(
PhoenixsPhyre

Post by PhoenixsPhyre »

Thanks to you both. :-D
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

PhoenixsPhyre wrote:... I want my character to be a vampire...
That's not allowed. We don't like characters like vampires or werewolves in this game.
PhoenixsPhyre

Post by PhoenixsPhyre »

Okay, thank you. I was just curious how it could be played out. But, if it's not acceptable, I shall comply. :-) Thank you, again.