A BIG WORLD - to explore the endless world

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD - to explore the endless world

Post by Chyan Guo Messenger »

is it ever possible to create a VAST, HUGE, ENORMISE, EVERFAR, world?
great seas........caves..........plains......moutains........forest.......desert...

continents....different huge ones.

and all the races start from a very different location....they must explore the world!

and this is on a huge world......like very large......sure....loading might be slow
but it be nice,......
and how about also riding on horses or something? makes the trip easier...
and boats to.....large ships controled by computer players
small paddle or sail boats for us...and they have to be maintained to!
Elkrim

A BIG WORLD

Post by Elkrim »

You've made a big step in the "Maybe it'll be done in the far-away-future"-World!
Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD

so its not possible? :(:(:(
Ashag

A BIG WORLD

Post by Ashag »

even if it would be possible it would be very big loading you could never imagine or maybe you could oh enyway i have played a game that had a really big world and fantastic graphicsand FREE!!! BUT there where only nearly 100 players playing it because it didnt at all
work on slow computers and it took 30 min too load it on fast computers i have isdn and a medium fast computer but it didnt work it only said loading..... loading.... really irratating
Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD

what i we load only one section of the big world at a time?

until you get to the other section, you only load the area your in....sounds good?

OR WE CAN MAKE THE WORLD BIG AS  POSSIBLE AND STILL A SMALL LOADING TIME!
TRIAL AND ERROR? he he he  :(:(:(:(.....i want big big world.....
Korwin

A BIG WORLD

Post by Korwin »

Thats their intent I think but at the moment without a map editor it would be an
enormous amount of work for all the Illarion team.
Astral

A BIG WORLD

Post by Astral »

Yes, just think of their side.  Programming every individual tile manually, graphics and behaviour.  A "big" world may take millions of tiles.  There are far better things to do now than spend weeks on end enlarging the map.  Before you post stuff like this, read the Illarion website so you don't suggest more stuff that is already planned.
martin

A BIG WORLD

Post by martin »

this game is in heavy development (and will hopefully stay in this state for a long time). at the moment, there are much more important things than a huge map. we're improving quality, not quantity.

martin
Hyssena

A BIG WORLD

Post by Hyssena »

Aside from all the technical issues mentioned above, we CAN make the world bigger! Not by expanding the dimensions of the land as suggested, but by giving the land we already have DEPTH.

If you refer to Bror's post on the main board about the map that could possibly in the distant future somewhat influence the shape of the land (Whew, can I be any more uncertain?)... You'll see that Teesh suggests a great story behind the skeletons in the southern woods.

Things like this are all around! The two fir trees in the woodland shrine (west of the mummy ruins) could have been star-crossed lovers who sought the help of Sirani, Oldra, or some other goddess and were turned into firs with touching branches....

The small chair at the very southern tip of the island? Perhaps the throne of a fairy queen who appears to guide lost travelers... sending them on an endlessly winding course through the woods, until they find themselves decayed and mindless skeletons (A bit of an alternate legend to the one Teesh proposed.)

The ruins of the Ogre city have an infinite number of possible stories behind them... Magic and intrigue is everywhere... not necessarily in uber-coded rowboats and distant islands of the future, but right under our noses.

So, to reiterate... The world grows when we give it depth, story, a sense of mystery...

(Is it just me or do I sound like a Disneyland advertisement?)

Thanks for listening!
Erdrick

A BIG WORLD

Post by Erdrick »

Wow... Hyssena, ever try talking to Damien? He runs the background stories...
Hyssena

A BIG WORLD

Post by Hyssena »

No Erdrick, I've not had the pleasure of speaking with him directly, though I have read his/Nanuk's work at www.moonsilver.de and look forward to their next update... I try to keep any legends I come up with (And what's a bard if not a keeper of legends?) in accordance with the backround stories there.
Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD

lots of "programming" huh?

im guessing its not easy.
Wolin

A BIG WORLD

Post by Wolin »

I think the easiest way to make the world bigger would be to place a port on Illarion and you can take a "ship" to another island. But this is only necessary if there are more players than today, if one Island is too small for all players - and - you need more developers, too.
Korwin

A BIG WORLD

Post by Korwin »

Well the place by the ogres is the Mana Well...
martin

A BIG WORLD

Post by martin »

let me add some general words:
this proposal -- creating a bigger world -- isn't very, well, lets say original. don't you think we had this idea ourselves? don't you think a lot of people proposed this in the past? i mean, we always search for ideas, and it's nice to read most of them (even if a lot of them won't be implemented...), but there are certain ones, which are simply to "easy". these are *obvious* proposal.

maybe you think about it next time you propose something.

martin
Wolin

A BIG WORLD

Post by Wolin »

I know that bigger worlds are no new proposal.

but read the first message of Chyan Guo Messenger. He asks IF there will be those big worlds. maybe the wrong board .....
Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD

i dont think ill go through all the post looking for if my idea was already mentioned.
i didnt think you thought of this since the map post i saw didnt look big.

if you think this is a bad post, then go ahead and delete it.
i guess im sorry for thinking......
martin

A BIG WORLD

Post by martin »

you didn't get my point.
you don't have to read the entire board and all postings. but there are certain proposals which are REALLY obvious. look, we have 2 programmers and a lot of GMs working on different fields (graphics, storyline, ...), we're all not that stupid and we thought about the *obvious* things already when nobody knew illarion.
it's like telling a formula-1-pilot to drive faster in order to win. i guess he thought about that already. it's *obvious*, you don't have to tell him, he *knew* that already!

martin
Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD

and now your yelling at me  :(
martin

A BIG WORLD

Post by martin »

i consider your subject ("A BIGGER WORLD") yelling as well.

martin
Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD

....i only wanted to get attention :(

i dont like evil winks....  :(:(:(:(:(
Juliana

A BIG WORLD

Post by Juliana »

You want to get attention? And because of that you post? In my opinion posting isn't for getting some attention but for telling new ideas to the community. And I think that it is important to say new ideas and not some everybody already knows of.

(Edited by Juliana at 2:49 pm on June 15, 2002)
Chyan Guo Messenger

A BIG WORLD

no silly! the caps was to get attention...kind of like that man outside that sells newspaper. he is very loud, but he gets peoples attention! :) see