Shields for magic defense

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Mephistopheles

Shields for magic defense

Post by Mephistopheles »

I noticed in pathfinder tabletop that shields are the fighters primary magic resistance outside of attributes.

This makes sense for offensive magical resistance and may give a reason to gem up your shield besides raw parry bonus. The resistance provided shouldn't be as much useful against debuffs or effect based magics.

It should provide an across the board magical resistance as well meaning arcane, divine, and natural.
CJK
Developer

Re: Shields for magic defense

Post by CJK »

I believe there was talk on Mantis of using robes and jewelry in magic defense, somehow. I would prefer such a solution because shields already have a great use. nobody ever needs an archmage robe.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

I think it also in a way influences the offensive and defensive approach to magic based attacks, do I want to use a bow and arrow to strike them as they strike me from a distance, this will leave me vulnerable to the mage's most offensive attacks.. but if I decided to use a shield for more defense I would to get close to the mage to deal damage, to which they can run away to strike you again. it gives options for combat tactics of a group, tanks should always focus on having a shield, two handed and archer fighters are very offensive on the flip side.
Enchanted rings and robes could be an extra bonus to look for.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

There was a rumor on Gobaith that rings, different colors, would help for magic defense including increased help with crafting..hence lots wore different ones. Robes were discussed also. Maybe a use for that jewelry instead of selling would be magical resistance?
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Here is a relevant discussion: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=11108