Multiple Small Proposals

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Aegohl

Multiple Small Proposals

Post by Aegohl »

There's been a few minor gripes that I've held onto and figured I'd kill with one stone and make some proposals:

Interface

First of all, I know that there are limitations on what can be done here. I don't, however, know what those limitations are so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. With that said, I'll get into the meat of it:

The interface right now is nice with the ability to move things around, but still seems to get in the way when you need it most.

The chat bar should be made less wide and maybe taller to make up for that. In this way it's taking up less space that is immediately close to the character. That way you're not missing as many things like, say, monsters who are close enough to eat you.

The other items should be made thinner as well. The less space they take while being able to be read/understood the better. Extra points for making them somewhat transparent. Extra extra points if you can make them manually re-sizable.

This is a minor one, but I think the health/hunger/mana bar could be made a lot thinner and able to be moved wherever the player likes. Don't make it so that this one can be closed, though, please. I know I'd lose it.

While I love the versatility of being able to move menus and bars around where I like them, I'd also like a place to put them away. I imagine "docking stations" on the far ends and bottom of the screen. The menus and bars can start (when you open them or just log in) locked down there. From there they won't move if you accidentally click them until you hit a little corner button or hold the mouse button on them and then move. Extra points if in the docking bay the menu/bar is smaller for those of us with good enough eyes that we don't need a big, blocky menu to see and if you need a closer look you can just undock it. I realize that what I'm talking here is probably a lot of programming for what seems like little effect, but this would do a lot to make the interface modern, clean, and effective.

If you hit escape with menus/bars open, it should close (or dock) all of them at once. If you then hit escape with a clean screen, it should ask if you want to exit the game. This would clear the screen when you absolutely need to see what's going on. The reason I suggest using the already-used escape button is because I'm so used to doing this from other games that in moments of danger I hit the escape button and instead get a pop-up asking me if I want to exit when I really need to see how many monsters are coming at me.

Naming

You've added the ability to name characters who don't #i and that's so awesome and I hate to ask for more, but:

When you haven't named or been introduced to someone, it would be awesome if instead of it just saying "someone" over their head it said "Female Elf" or "Male Dwarf" or whatever they are. At this point graphically it's difficult to tell the difference sometimes. And I'm sure the dwarves will appreciate not being called halflings anymore.

Explorer's Club

This is a minor little thing, but I'm in love with Explorer's Club but it could be even better. It's just that between multiple characters I'd never be able to remember what rocks I've gotten and what ones not. So I end up obsessively dropping rp just to check every rock that I'm near. Could a graphic be made for a rock that's already been found and then when you find it it's switched out the graphics? Alternatively, they could just become a regular rock once you've found them.

Thank you in advance for reading this. You know how much I love and respect the work you do.
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Multiple Small Proposals

Post by Jupiter »

Aegohl wrote:Could a graphic be made for a rock that's already been found and then when you find it it's switched out the graphics? Alternatively, they could just become a regular rock once you've found them.
No.
Item graphics are the same for all characters. If the stone was to change it graphic, everyone would see the changed stone. But we already have something to show you that you found the stone. The lookat tells it to you.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Ah well. That was the least important of my proposals anyhow. :)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

All really nice ideas in my opinion.. if can be scripted/done especially the resizing!

thought I was the only one that got dwarves and halflings mixed
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I still find the interface pokey and weird. I'm always tripping over it. I like the idea of a dock for all the interface pieces. I'd like a hot key to open it. (Not an F key please, mine don't work. :oops: ) Maybe a ctrl+O or something along those lines to open it and have it arranged the way you last left it?

I'll throw in some extra points for having the inventory displays transparent. I'm forever missing people walking up in game because my head has to be completely inside my bag for me to see what's in there. Open the depot, the bag and the character inventory and it covers just about the entire screen.

The chat box, I have to both agree and disagree. It's in the way. I can see monsters through it but I can't click on them. I need to walk in that direction but my mouse input doesn't work there so I'm taking little baby steps. I really don't want it bigger though and it's already pretty small compared to what we had pre-VBU. I see the game shifted in favor of a full screen but maybe it's worth revisiting moving that thing to a separate place below the screen like we used to have. Or possibly set up the chat box like the other items so that we can move it around. And controlling the size? Yes please! The combination of typing to RP and typing to control the interface is still difficult for me. I think I'm not alone because I often see people type "I" or "assssssss" or a random series of numbers or the like. I'm not sure how that could be solved. And as long as we're critiquing the chat box, I really miss being able to set the chat mode with a button. Could we have that back again?

As far as the unknown characters, I've been giving that some thought. Pre-VBU we had the choice between the "Tall Elf" display and the character ID # display. Right now nothing displays except for "someone" and when there are multiple someones around it becomes very confusing. And the race/gender identity crisis is something of a problem. We definitely need more detail on the unknowns besides "someone." We do also need a way to distinguish players from NPCs. Maybe the NPC display font could be made a different color? Maybe green for normal NPCs, red for attacking ones and keep the players yellow? It's really nutty in there trying to tell people apart.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

One last proposal:

Chat

I realize this isn't a priority, so I would only suggest this if it's an easy fix. For non-Germans attempting to play in German and Germans expatriates, could Illarion add functionality for typing alt codes so those people can type umlauts without going to a text file and copying and pasting? Obviously there are ways to type words without them, so again, only if this is a quick fix.
Matron

Post by Matron »

Umlaute can be typed with english keyboards though. You just use different versions.
ä = ae, ü = ue, ß = ss
and so on
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Matron wrote: ß = ss
better sz instead of ss

in Maßen = in Massen if ß=ss
in Massen = in Massen
:arrow: but 2 totally different meanings
Bloodraven

Post by Bloodraven »

Greetings == Grüße

it is "Gruesse", not "Grube" :D
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

GolfLima wrote:
Matron wrote: ß = ss
better sz instead of ss
Have you ever been to Switzerland? It is ss, not sz!
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Have you ever been to Switzerland? It is ss, not sz!
Example:

Er trank Bier in maßen. --> will change to --> Er trank Bier in massen.
:arrow: 2 totally different meanings
the first is: he is drinking some beer but not to much
the second: he is drinking beer as much he can

ß = ss is sometimes a little bit problematic.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Like I said, this is something that would be nice if easy. If not no big. And I realize all that youre saying. I don't speak or understand German but I know the basic rules and some phrases.
Estralis Seborian

No need to repeat the same example twice.It is ss. Gruesse. Not Gruesze. Except for lizards. Grüzi to Switzerland, they do not use ß at all.

Anyway, I second most proposals, especially the transparency issue and the "someone" problem. Let's see what Nitram can do.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Typing in ALT-Keycodes is implemented. Will be part of the next update.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Nitram wrote:Typing in ALT-Keycodes is implemented. Will be part of the next update.
<3
Jen

Post by Jen »

Nitram wrote:Typing in ALT-Keycodes is implemented. Will be part of the next update.
I love you!!! :)

Isn't this going to clash with turning around though? Isn't Alt + Num Keys used for turning around on the spot?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Jen wrote:

Isn't this going to clash with turning around though? Isn't Alt + Num Keys used for turning around on the spot?
Yep that clashes. Alt+Num for turning isn't working anymore due to the change. Have to find a away around that before the update.

Nitram
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I was thinking more about character identification and I'm trying to remember what we had before to tell players and NPCs apart that makes it so difficult now. I think in the old version, players had a continuous overhead display while NPCs did not. Restoring that might be helpful if it's an easy fix.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

Kamilar wrote:I was thinking more about character identification and I'm trying to remember what we had before to tell players and NPCs apart that makes it so difficult now. I think in the old version, players had a continuous overhead display while NPCs did not. Restoring that might be helpful if it's an easy fix.
I do not like this idea as Boneghosts look exactly like some the Bone Schemes. (I think it's this one).

Our characters should be able to distinguish monsters and baddies.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

That's a good point. Maybe instead, the constant display could be for monsters and NPCs with just the mouseover display for player characters.

Edit: Though as I think about it, we currently have a mouseover for NPCs and that seems alright. So a constant display for either NPCs or players with a mouseover for the other would probably work.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

I would prefer not taking away from my "scenery" or immersion if you wish to call it that with a constant display of any name.. I like just being able to alt/see name, then remove the alt and not see. My only wish is to be able to toggle. Alt on, another alt off. Monsters/NPC's could possibly be as they are and chars in another color such as light blue.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

That's what we had! The names could be toggled on player characters. That would be helpful. NPCs could either have a permanent display or the mouseover that we have now. Just some way to tell them apart.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

Nitram wrote:
Jen wrote:

Yep that clashes. Alt+Num for turning isn't working anymore due to the change. Have to find a away around that before the update.

Nitram
Pre-VBU the mouse wheel turned the character when moused over. Couldn't that be done again?
Estralis Seborian

While I am not against using the mouse wheel, it is not a solution. Not everyone has a mouse wheel. Just take a look at most laptops. So we need something simple everyone can use.
Jen

Post by Jen »

What about AltGR instead of Alt? That doesn't have a use yet, or does it?
Estralis Seborian

In another game I use to play, holding down both mouse keys turns the camera. I am not fond of making ctrl alt shift fundamental cornerstones of the interface.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Jen wrote:What about AltGR instead of Alt? That doesn't have a use yet, or does it?
ALT GR shows the names
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Turning with ALT still works. How ever there is no chance that to prevent the character from turning if you press the number key too long.

Nitram
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

I'm confused. How can one use the same key combination to type umlauts and and to turn? Since I use the number keys to turn (isn't that the only way to turn on diagonals?) Hrm. It seems my proposal has run into unforeseen problems.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Aegohl wrote:I'm confused. How can one use the same key combination to type umlauts and and to turn? Since I use the number keys to turn (isn't that the only way to turn on diagonals?) Hrm. It seems my proposal has run into unforeseen problems.
I do all of my turning/walking with the arrow keys. If I even try using the numpad I end up a panicked mess. I miss being able to use the classic style walking, and I'm still getting used to the "new way".