Gem effects

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Ufedhin

Re: Gem effects

Post by Ufedhin »

Teflon wrote:my first thoughts: work faster, skill better, produce better quality, become able producing rare items...
I like these ideas . But time really is not a factor now, things get made quite swiftly anyway. Skilling better is only a short term benifit unless its across all skills (then it is horribly powerfull ) producing better quality would be nice for crafters and alchemists etc but then mages get left out of the loop....unless we they can add gems to wands making them more effective for example..??
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

.............but then mages get left out of the loop....unless we they can add gems to wands making them more effective for example..??
Mages are weak and not crafters.. I don't expect my mage to do things others can and am actually surprised she can do as much as she can. I am fine being left out of the loop while waiting for magic (which may not even include wands for all I know).

I like the idea of gems in rings/necklaces to add a bonus as it used to be (at least the rumor said it was) particularly since you can't see them on the paperdoll. This could also eventually help mages. As far as in armor I worry between armor and weapon gemmed status, it will be too much. Too strong, have to strengthen monsters to match.. new players just die quicker.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Kyre wrote:I like the idea of gems in rings/necklaces to add a bonus as it used to be (at least the rumor said it was) particularly since you can't see them on the paperdoll. As far as in armor I worry between armor and weapon gemmed status, it will be too much. Too strong, have to strengthen monsters to match.. new players just die quicker.
I tend to agree. I've not been looking forward to the idea of putting gems in armor and shields. This is basically a defensive double whammy, except for those that carry two-handed weapons. Do we really need god-like warriors again?

Rings to create better quality items would be great. I know many characters that would push to create that item and fill it with gems.

One thing to keep in mind that Uffe brought up is that we should realistically be talking about high level items. Just any old trinket shouldn't work. Popping a set of gems into a plain amulet shouldn't get the same results as popping them into an icebird in my opinion. Also, can the character choose what the "benefit" will be as s/he puts the stones in the item? I think this is what Uffe was saying he wanted. That would make each item different and possibily create some uniqueness.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Uhuru wrote:
Kyre wrote:I like the idea of gems in rings/necklaces to add a bonus as it used to be (at least the rumor said it was) particularly since you can't see them on the paperdoll. As far as in armor I worry between armor and weapon gemmed status, it will be too much. Too strong, have to strengthen monsters to match.. new players just die quicker.
I tend to agree. I've not been looking forward to the idea of putting gems in armor and shields. This is basically a defensive double whammy, except for those that carry two-handed weapons. Do we really need god-like warriors again?

Rings to create better quality items would be great. I know many characters that would push to create that item and fill it with gems.

One thing to keep in mind that Uffe brought up is that we should realistically be talking about high level items. Just any old trinket shouldn't work. Popping a set of gems into a plain amulet shouldn't get the same results as popping them into an icebird in my opinion. Also, can the character choose what the "benefit" will be as s/he puts the stones in the item? I think this is what Uffe was saying he wanted. That would make each item different and possibily create some uniqueness.
Just trying to point out, with the current armor trifecta warriors can't get out at all, Vern is himself a master (or so called always room for improvement in rl skills =P) and struggles with adventuring, gems in armor and shields would help balance it out at least slightly, and even in weapons you really don't see great boosts until you hit slight +.

Now don't get me wrong I want to see some diversity, I just don't know good effects for these other "classes" as I am not very used to playing them. And Ufedhin, Intelligence and willpower can hardly be seen as "non-combative" because Intelligence will determine magical damage and willpower magical defense. though on top of that I can see why we want these things. If mages must use wands why not simply use gems to increase magical damage just the same as with weapons? Its relatively simple and straight forward (I think.. I'm not a scriptor).

charm of the ice bird and Archmage rings I think should have effects specific to mages and also Diadems. A warrior wears armor for protection, armor generally hinders a mage in which I would suggest one of these pieces to have a defensive effect, it shouldn't be weak to any given weapon type but it should be relatively low and possibly even drain mana to use effectively. This way the mage doesn't need to be hindered by armor so to maximize the damage output of spells. Perhaps another piece could raise mana regeneration, and the other raises percentage of healing or effect spells.

other jewelry such as normal amulets and rings maybe could be designated for crafters and warriors or only crafters (if its thought that warriors have enough with weapons, armors, and shields) Maybe the rings and amulets have certain craft categories like Diamond to finesmithing, obsidian to smithing, etc etc.

just some ideas.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Teflon wrote:my first thoughts: work faster, skill better, produce better quality, become able producing rare items...
work faster -> crafters ar most of the time not in need to hurry
skill better -> what about "master crafter"
produce better quality -> with some training you get perfect things

* become able producing rare goods -> sounds interesting
* with a low probability you get some of the rare materilas back
* longer resistance of maked goods or of the tools

+ there are 2 different kind of tools ..... one for gathering ressources (shovel, pick axe, sicle.....) and one for producing something (spoon, hammer, slicer, glass blow pipe .....)
* i have no idea what effect gems can have for "gathering tools"
* for "producing tools" ...look above

* gems for magical wands ...may be some mages have ideas for that

* gems at rings / necklace ...improving skills
* gems at shields ...improve parry
* gems at armor ..improve defense
--> these all sounds nice for me
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

GolfLima wrote:* with a low probability you get some of the rare materilas back
I like this idea. However, I wouldn't limit it to rare materials but include all material. Why? Becaus that allows us to distinguish more between tools with a few and items with a lot of gems.
I would limit it to material which we need two pieces ore more of and that the need fo those can only be reduced to 1 not 0. I think that is needed to prevent awkward things to happen like making a bow without using any wood.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

GolfLima wrote: produce better quality -> with some training you get perfect things
Please keep in mind that we are discussing alchemists here too. They actually don't seem to produce better quality with practice. I think it is on some set formula or something. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but please don't just brush off this one item because it isn't needed in other areas. It is needed in alchemy.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Uhuru wrote:Please keep in mind that we are discussing alchemists here too. They actually don't seem to produce better quality with practice.
They do. Alchemy is more influences by chance than other things, but the mean of that what you will produce increases with skill (also with attributes).

Sooner or later the gems will become useful in alchemy. I cannot say what effects they will have yet. Maybe similiar as in crafting (if we get gem effects there one day) maybe unique ones.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Uhuru wrote:Please keep in mind that we are discussing alchemists here too
* most of the potions are healing potins -> my char produces 50% of this potions in on of the 3 best qualities
* there are "quality increasing potions" -> do they not work?
* since the "beginning of the new world" my char collected more than 6.000 rare herbs
Jupiter wrote: I wouldn't limit it to rare materials but include all material. Why? Becaus that allows us to distinguish more between tools with a few and items with a lot of gems.
* right ... all materials can be included ... the probability should be very low and never make something without using a material ...never get all materials back
* but what about "rare" materials ...normally you need only one of them ..there should be also a EXTREMLY low chance to get them back
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

GolfLima wrote:* but what about "rare" materials ...normally you need only one of them ..there should be also a EXTREMLY low chance to get them back
Yes, one can consider an exception for those. But I am not really happy with that.

An other possiblity is to have a small probability that you creat two instead of one items.