Of Wolves and Unicorns

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Josephine D'Gemmifus

Of Wolves and Unicorns

Post by Josephine D'Gemmifus »

15. Ushos 39, Albar, outskirts of the capitals nobles district, manison of the D'Gemmifus

It is a stormy night. The wind howls, the old houses wood creaking while the rain whips against the windows. Somewhere from a backroom the dripping of leaking water into a bowl might be heared.
An old man, dressed all in fine clothes of black and silver, an unicorn stitched on the right of his chest, sits in a comforable stool. That little hair left on his head has turned silver and is cut short, his white beard on the other hand being well-trimmed. Next to the chimney he faces, half in the shadow, stands a young woman with blue eyes set to the ground. Her long blonde hair is bound to a simple pony tail behind her point ears, body covered by long black robes. She stands still, without a motion. The silver collar round her neck shimmers in the dim light of the flames whilst the old man thoughtfully turns a wax-sealed letter in his hands. Eventually he raises his voice.

"Silver, dear. Come here."

"Yes, Master?" She replies, bowing lightly, not looking up.

"Open this. Read it aloud." He commands coldly, holding up the sealed letter between fore- and middlefinger in an almost bored gesture.

The girl fetches the paper, opening up the letter with a slender long knive she drew from under her wide robe. With her back facing the chimney she unfolds it.
"Um." She clears her throat, eyes set to the paper.

"Dear Uncle,

time has passed and things did not develop much to the suprising. The Crimson Order is having a phase of light inactivity whilst the other towns thrive. For the time being I do not see Cadomyrs forces fit for any hostile actions.
Opportunity for establishing slave trade in Cadomyr is low. Although allowed by law there are neither enough prisoners from raids into the uncivilized desert and no war with the othert settlement on the horizon for supply, nor are there many inhabitants who would have the coin and attitude to be potential customers.
Still there is one suprising development: I am being courted. Guy Mitchell, a knight of 27 from the order of Jean Gottorp. He owns a small but prosperous barony of a town called Toboso in the Salkamaerian Empire. Parents and former wife are dead, heirless at the moment. I intend to give official consent for an affiance at the end of Sinos, in a letter I will hand him to visit thee.
He looks older than he claims to be and still seems saddened by the events after the loss of his wife. Display of fine manners, claims of love towards me and a not unexpected Salkamaerian liberal line of thought would be worth to mention.
I believe thou will wish to check upon background and wealth of the barony before starting negotiations.

Yours,

Josephine"

The girl folds the letter and sets it down on the small table next to the mans chair. Then quietly steps back to her previous place and stance.

"A Salkamaerian baron, hm?"

The old man laughs up, quickly turning into coughing dryly. With shaky hands he pulls a black handkerchief from his clothes to cover his mouth for the last vew violent coughs.

"So my pretty niece achieves what my brother did not in a lifetime of sword, flame and honor. That I can work with.
Silver. See to it that our guest room is presentable by the end of the month, if need be go with Richard and let him hire a carpenter down from the merchants district.
But for now... get me Richards brother, there are some messages that will have to be delivered. Now. Hush!"

He waves dismissively with the black handkerchief, sighs and stands with an aching sound to walk to the wooden writing-table not far from the fire while the robed girl already hurried past the door.
rakust dorenstkzul

Re: Of Wolves and Unicorns

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

When Guy arrived on the edge of the grounds, he was tired, dirty and cold, rain had been falling the last two days straight and his thin Cadomyrian clothes had let it all through, soaking him to the bone. Still, if the peasant with the wheelbarrow was correct, this was the D'Gemmifus mansion.

It was a fairly nice house, he supposed, It looked warm inside, and he imagined that if the rain was not flooding the area, the grounds would look good too. Looking at the building, he guess it was a couple of generations old. But he was terrible at judging buildings.

He rode up to the door, his mind was swimming with thoughts of bride prices, dowries. And taking care of Silver. Whatever that was.

When he reached the house, he quickly dismounted, he had no desire to be in the rain any longer. He held the horse's reins in hand as it creaked open a few moments later it opens, a blonde haired girl stood behind it.

"I am here to see Sebastian D'Gemmifus, regarding his niece, Josephine. Have someone see to my horse."
Josephine D'Gemmifus

The young woman, dressed in a plain robes dark as the night concealing her body from neck to feet and a silver collar adorning her slender neck, blinks surprised at the visitor with blue eyes. And lowers her glance quickly, gracefully dropping a curtsey, careful with the candleholder in her hand.

• The Master ist not at home, Milord. This one hopes Milord not to mind waiting inside? ... Milords mount will be attended to.

She steps back to make way for Guy, reaching for the little bell next to the mansions front door, ringing it three times. In the dim candlelight one can make out the distinct northern features of her face and was it not for the pointy ears and long ponytail one might even mistake her for someone else at first glance.

• Might this one show Milord to the guest room? Considering the weather this one fears the Master not to be back before dawn, Milord.
The house would be of old, dark wood, never being really quiet. There always is something quietly creaking, rustling in the shadows, ceiling or walls. Its windows are relatively small, though made of clear glass, rimmed with tarnished silver. Old, dusty carpets in dark colors, mainly displaying the proud silver unicorn of the D'Gemmifus on black ground hang the walls. Occasionally a long dead ancestor of the noble family watches the dark rooms from a fading oil-painting.
Here and there are signs of only recent renovations, easily distinguished from the lighter color of the wood. It is not much warmer in the lobby than outside, smelling of dust, old wood and candle-wax.
rakust dorenstkzul

Guy stepped inside, he looked around the room, taking in all around him, depressing relics of a dying house, all of it. Sullied silver, rotting fabrics, tiny windows. D'Gemmifus had not just lost it's position and wealth, it had lost it's self respect, House Mitchell was not far from this, and that thought was never far from Guy's mind.

"Thank you, Lady."

His eyes moved from the room they were stood in, which was illuminated by a a few candles and the occasional shine of lightning, to the girl. He looked over her in the dim light, taking in her appearance. He wiped a hand over his bald head, taking the rainwater from it. The hall was cold. But it was dry at the least.

"Indeed, the guest room would be nice. Lady. Though. I suppose i should introduce myself, Shouldn't I? I am Sir Guy Rocquefort Montserrat Confidemus Pluria Mitchell, Lord of Toboso."

He spoke slowly and deliberately, partly that he did not know if she found it easy to understand his Salkamaerian accent and partly that he felt his name deserved at least that amount of importance.
Josephine D'Gemmifus

• It is a honor and privilege to have Milord Baron as a guest.
    This one is called Silver and belongs to Master D'Gemmifus.

Answers the girl with soft voice, bowing deeply in a gracious gesture. Ever careful not to meet Guys eyes. She hesitates for a brief moment before turning and leading the way up the creaking stairs in the lobby.

• The guest room would be this way, Milord.

After not venturing too far through the dark corridors she opens up a door to hush in.
The entered room shows obvious signs of very recent rennovation. In fact it looks as good as new in strong contrast to what else might have been glimpsed from the building so far. A table with a hand full of cushioned seats, a large bed, an lightly oversized wardrobe and a chamin with already prepared wood are found there. Still the windows are small, but with polished silver and the dark colors from the rest of the house are dominant as well even if no Sigil or Banner might be seen for a change. Next to the bed a bell similar to the one at the entrance is installed at the wall.
After lighting some candles on the table and the fire in the chamin with routined swiftness Silver turns back to the Nobleman, clearing her throat. Still having her eyes set to the ground in front of Guy.

• ... if this one may remark, calling a collared girl 'Lady' is considered a paux pas in these lands.

If Milord has any wish he can always ring the bell to summon a servant. This one would also be glad to be of assistance.
rakust dorenstkzul

Guy Flashes the girl a quick smile as the light illuminated them both.

"Then, i suppose i shall have to keep making that same Faux Pas, Lady Silver. And do not fear to look upon me. I am a man, not a god, nor a king."

He spoke in a slightly scolding tone, though it was filled with good intentions..Mitchell moved his gaze from her, to the room, black and silver to the point of distaste. Black was a terrible choice for decoration. Even Guy knew that, and he usually slept in tents and caves, over the crackle of the fire, he turned back to Silver, light glinting off of his soaked, bald head in a fearsome manner.

"Thank you for your assistance, but i shall have no further need of you tonight. Wake me when your master arrives."
Josephine D'Gemmifus

The night would have gone by quietly. Or as quiet as it could be in an old wooden masion during a nightly storm. The chamins fire filled Guys room with a pleseant warmth, only slowly loosing it to the thick wooden walls and small windows.
By morning someone had placed a large breakfast-plate on the table. A bowl of salted meatballs, a fresh loaf of dark bread and second bowl, piling up a selection of mundane to exotic fruits cut into bite-sized pieces. As well as one carafe with spiced red wine and another with fresh water along with a cup. All dinnerware either of dark wood, blackened porcelain or silver.
Outside the rain has faded to a weak mizzle, that light of the sun making it through the grey clouds allowing a glimpse over the masions and its surrounding through the small windows. The gardens have not been tended to properly for ages and thorny tendrils with some few late white blossoming roses sprawl up the back of the house. All looks a little as if most of the mansion and its ground were only barely, if at all, used for a long time.

The neighing or horses and the clapping of their hooves on the pathed way up to the residence would disturb the silence of the morning. Voices, the ringing of a bell and the heavy front door slamming close can be heared halling through the houses quietness. Footsteps hurry up to Guys room, someone knocks at the door. In steps a somewhat tired Silver, dropping a quick curtsey.

• Milord, Master D'Gemmifus is back.
rakust dorenstkzul

Guy turned his head, he was halfway through the meal on the table, three bites from the loaf of bread, most of the meatballs were gone.
Pork was his favourite, and he had sampled at least one of every fruit. Some more than others. He He drank back the last of his water and looked at her fixedly.

"Thank you, Lady Silver. Is he fit to be seen?"

Without so much as waiting for an answer, Guy pushed to his feet and grabbed his sword from next to his bed, an old broadsword which Oxiana had given him years ago. He stepped closer to the door and briefly smiled at the girl.

"Tell whomever made the breakfast, they did very well."

When outside the room he looked down the stairs, black and silver were eveywhere in this house, but he still couldn't get used to it. It was incredibly foreboding and unsettling. The last time Guy had seen this much black in a building. He had fought cultists. He padded down the stairs and headed towards the sounds of talking were earlier. He pushed open a door, and spoke.

"Good day to you. D'Gemmifus, we have much to discuss. As i am sure you know."
Josephine D'Gemmifus

Four figures turned at the noblemans entrance. Four which Guy has not seen before. A tall woman with a finely featured face, long auburn hair and pointy ears, dressed in the same manner as Silver. A boy of maybe fourteen suffering from a bad case of acne and scrubby black hair, wearing leather boots, simple black trousers and shirt. A broad, muscular short-haired man in his prime, with angular face displaying a certain similarity with the boys, wearing a light armor of black leather with a large knife attached to his belt.
And a lean, tall man of old age. The little remaining silver hair on his head is worn short, the beard finely trimmed. His finely tailored clothes are black and silver, the D'Gemmifus-Unicorn stitched over where his heart might be. He measures Guy with icy blue eyes in the following brief moment of silence, his wrinkled face betraying no expression. Following a brief wink of his satin-gloved hand woman and boy leave swiftly through a creaky side-door, the younger man bows his head and steps to the wall, crossing his arms. Eventually the old man offers a slightly stiff bow, folding his hands behind his back.

• My greetings to thee, Baron.
    Indeed. It came to my ears that thou wish to call something very precious to me thy onwn.

He finally speaks, his raspy voice as empty of emotion as his face.

• I am Sebastian D'Gemmifus, firstborn of Sir Cornelius D'Gemmifus, eldest and head of our family.
    Have a seat, unless thou wish to talk somewhere else?

What Guy stepped into looks like a large dining room. One actually in use, from the look of its furnitures condition. A long, heavy table stands in its middle, slightly worn seats of black leather placed around. Asides the would be a cold chamin, candles, old shields displaying the omipresent silver unicorn on black ground and an only barely faded painting displaying a youthful man with long, blonde hair all in black storming up a battlement with magical fire in one and sword in the other hand. And some windows to the front-side of the house, which along with the candles illuminate the dark room.
Not long after Guy more or less bursted in Silver enters quietly, balancing a tray of two cups and carafes.
rakust dorenstkzul

Guy's eyes narrowed on the armed man, and his hand instinctively moved to his sword hilt, he gauged the henchman, judging his posture, stance and demeanor, what moves he would be most likely to make, and what his weaknesses would be.

" It is true. I wish to marry Josephine, and unite our houses. She is a fine girl. And i have no doubt she will provide me with many strong sons."

Guy looked at both Sebastian and his guard for a moment, a biting quip came to his mind but he bit his tongue. He lifted his hand and shook his head to Silver's offer of a drink, then turned back to Sebastian. As Guy took a seat, he spoke in a firm voice. One that would not be out of place on a battlefield, giving an order.

"She mentioned that you would like to.. haggle, over her. Well, i wish to tell you up front. Sir, i am a knight, and a knight does not haggle for marriage or flesh."

He adjusted his seating on the chair, looking Sebastian directly in the eye.

"Josephine has giving me a good idea of what to expect from you, Sebastian. She said you are shrewd, strong willed. But over all, she said you are in intelligent."

Guy rolled two gold coins over the table, the faces on them belonged to Queen Rosaline of Cadomyr, and the deceased Prince Anarius, conqueror of Troll's Bane.

"Two gold coins for her hand. Four gold coins for her hand, and Silver's ownership."
Josephine D'Gemmifus

The old man picks up one of the coins, turning it in his slightly shaky fingers, crackling out a dry laugh. A dry laugh that quickly turns into a not less dry cough. The blonde servant girl is quick to be at his side, tapping the mans back until he recovers. And steps back to light candles and chamin as if nothing happened, although her polite smile seems a little uneasy.
He drops the coin back down, right on top of the second. The deceased Prince in gold now on top. The muscular guard in black leather continues to just stand leant back against the wall, on one side of the table between Guy and Sebastian, looking nowhere specific with a somewhat tense stance.
Sebastian looks up to meet Guys eyes with a look cold as ice, raising his raspy voice again.

• Was I a knight, like my dead brother or my legal heir, my nephew, I'd demand a duel to answer an insulting offer as thine.
    Was I as bad as my reputation, I'd accept right here and have someone kill thee once the wedding is over to make myself a Baron.

But as it happens to be, I am neither.

He pauses to drink from his cup, not letting the blue eyes off his nieces suitor.

• Let me make this clear: I have something thou want. Something I like. And I gain nothing by giving it to thee.

Of coin I have plenty. There are still two ships I can call my own and the day the Albarian nobles thirst for secrets, collared girls and cheap miners runs dry is yet to come. Simple ties to a barony are good and fine. But Tobosa is far, in a foreign empire with foreign laws and a foreign ruler. Sooner or later someone will call us Salkamaerian spies if those ties are held anthing but very loosely. Our loyalty might even be put to the test.

If thou do not wish to haggle, so be it. But I have to decline the offer thou made.

Having lit all candles and the chamin in the room Silver positions herself on the opposite side of the man in leather, folding her hands and keeping the glance down.
rakust dorenstkzul

Guy leaned back in his chair again, he gazed over the old man with barely concealed contempt. His bald head gleamed in the candlelight as he pondered his next move. He looked at silver and smiled at her.

"He is something, Isn't he, lady? He believes he has any ground to negotiate."

He turned his head back to Sebastian, his smile vanishing and his hard face reappearing.

"As i walked in here. I spotted nothing but decay. Sebastian, relics of a dying house. Rotted tapestries, faded paintings and tarnished silver. The wood itself seemed sad to be here. With all the groaning it does in the night.

Furthermore, I am not so Naive to believe you are meeting me, purely out of your love for Josephine. I have met men of your ilk before."

Guy slipped his hand onto the table and pulled the coins back to himself. He kept them on the table, within a clenched hand.

"Nay. I believe there is something which i possess, which you crave dearly, else i would not be here., else you would have not have had me ride here."

He leaned forward, and smiled at Sebastian crookedly.

"What is it, old man? What is worth selling your niece for?"
Josephine D'Gemmifus

Silver turned her head to the side, away from Guy, her look having turned a little awkward. The old man lips give a weak smile while the rest of his face does not change its expression at all.

• I have my dear nieces loyalty, Lord Mitchell. That is all the ground I need in this matter.

Regarding this estate. Think about it, all of the D'Gemmifus but me and my niece live in the lands of Prince Ingelfsen of Kathun. And there will be no one using it after my death.

But thou asked for a price worth to give my niece to a southern lordling who comes to my house with nothing but two coins and insults.

He circles his satin-gloved forefinger over the rim of his cup once, then folding his hands, letting a small moment of silence sink in. Still not keeping his blue eyes off the Salkamaerian noblemans, blinking every once in a while.

• The dead body of a dragon.
Last edited by Josephine D'Gemmifus on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josephine D'Gemmifus

• In return I am offering a dowry of 40 coins of gold here and now as well as an affiance lasting one year. If I have my dragon by then, thou may have her hand. Shalt thou fail, I will revoke my consent and be payed twice the amount thou recieved.
Sebastian leans back, tilting his head only a little.

• What do thou say, Baron?
rakust dorenstkzul

Guy placed a hand on the hilt of his blade, then looked around the room. He peered at Silver for a few moments, then nodded his head slowly.

"This shall do. Is there any specific dragon you have in mind, or shall any do?"

Guy returns his gaze to Sebastian, then finally scoops up his coins, depositing them in his pouch.
Josephine D'Gemmifus

The silver-haired man nods lightly, still wearing a face without emotion.

• Exellent. Silver. Go, get the Barons money.

The girl bows quickly and looses no time to quielty dissapear out of the same sidedoor the other two servants used before.

• No one will care for what kind of dragon it was, as long its body is large, winged and with sharp teeth and claws. What interests me is an intact skeleton. Scales and hide would be a most welcome surplus. The rest thou may damage or not bring at all. We may, or may not, just as thou wish, talk over the details of the marriage once I have what I require.

That was for the first thou wanted. If thou still intend to purchase Silver, make a serious offer.

Another dry cough shakes his lean body. The old man clenches to the table one hand, covering his mouth with the other. Once it faded, he pulls out a black handkerchief to dry his lips. And sets his cold glance back on Guy again.
rakust dorenstkzul

Guy leaned back in his chair. He pursed his lips and mulled over his response. He looks over at the door and slowly nods his head.

"I shall offer 20 gold coins for her. Half of the dowry."

Then Guy turned his head back to the old man, with deep thought in his eyes.

"However. I could gather the bones of another dragon, in exchange for her."

Guy lifted a hand to his mouth and coughed too, though it was a gentler, more polite cough.
Josephine D'Gemmifus

The man dressed in black and silver offers nothing but another mere brief nod as he starts to neatly fold the black piece of cloth with slightly shaky fingers. Taking his eyes off the ones of the other man for the moment.

• Both acceptable. The decision is thine, Baron.

He leaves it foled on the table, an almost flawless black quadrate of black silk on dark wood. And says no more as the girl with pointy ears and blonde ponytail comes back in, a pretty small black bag with clinging metal inside in her hands. She steps closer, bowing as she gracefully sets it down in front of Guy.

• The dowry, Milord.
rakust dorenstkzul

"Thank you, Lady."

Guy slipped his hand on to the table, and then slowly drew the bag of coins closer to him. He peeked inside it. Various monarchs of various nations peeked out back at him. Without looking up. He spoke to Sebastian in a calm, collected voice.

"If i do not send you two sets of bones. I shall send you half of this back."

He climbed up out of the chair he was sat upon, and clenched the bag of coins. He readjusted his belt and blade, striding over to the door. He turned back to Silver and her owner one more time.

I shall leave immediately. There is not much time to be lost.

With that, he stepped through the door and closed it. Padding up the stairs to gather what few things he had brought but more to finish is breakfast.