Capitalisation and slang

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Skaalib Drurr

Capitalisation and slang

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

This is a bit of a gripe aswell as a question I suppose.
I just returned from a break from Illa, and have noticed there seems to be a lot more modern day colloqiual language used (like the 'screw you' example) and also many lines aren't typed with a capital at the start.

Is this acceptable? What do you guys think is ok?
Mairae Auvria

Post by Mairae Auvria »

No, but I have assumed the non-capital letters and language was new players that will hopefully improve over time.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Of course not, that's why I now login once every 2 weeks or so.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

A pardon for my horrible mechanical skills with writing. I always forgot caps, how to spell something ig, typos and so on. the reason i can spell here is i use Firefox and it has a spell check built in for anything typed. caps not at start and misspellings should be okay, especially if you can tell it's not intentional. (or if it's meant to sound like an accent or something) common sayings are a not. for instance "that's cool" try something a little different "wicked..."so that my two cents.
Olive

Post by Olive »

last time i looked peopel dont 'talk' with a capitalized first letter in what they say, so a capitalized letter at the start of their sentance is trivial at best when you have much more important things to whine about instead
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

On the contrary, language looks a lot better if there is a capital first letter. It seems like someone's speaking over a messenger if they refuse to use one, atleast, that's how seems to me.
Olive

Post by Olive »

yes but your character cant SEE the text he HEARS it
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Y not then?
Mairae Auvria

Post by Mairae Auvria »

If our characters COULD actually hear in game there wouldn't need to be this discussion! :D
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Unfortunately, there is no ingame sound system. We rely on our eyes po olive, thats why we use grammar/descriptive language to make what we say clearer and easier to understand. Plus, it looks messy and annoying. Its not particularly hard to do either.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I know this sounds elitist, but I typically try to stray away from those that are too lazy to at least attempt standard english (if it's there "mother tongue" of course.) It's just hard to look at.
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

I don't want to sound elitist, but some elitists lack proper understanding of the English language
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Julius wrote:I know this sounds elitist, but I typically try to stray away from those that are too lazy to at least attempt standard english (if it's there "mother tongue" of course.) It's just hard to look at.
Must be hard looking at yourself in a mirror, huh.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

LifeWonder wrote:
Julius wrote:I know this sounds elitist, but I typically try to stray away from those that are too lazy to at least attempt standard english (if it's there "mother tongue" of course.) It's just hard to look at.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:
LifeWonder wrote:
Alber G

Post by Alber G »

LifeWonder wrote:
Skaalib Drurr wrote:
LifeWonder wrote: Must be hard looking at yourself in a mirror, huh.
*Breaks the mirror*
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

Guys, what the hell?
As a matter of fact, it's nice to read the lines that people put some effort into. But on the contrary, as long as you are able to prove your point - what's the matter? Capitalization and reduced 'slang' does not make up for shallow roleplaying.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Must be hard not to spam.

proper grammar and capitalisation comes first, surely. One should always try to achieve this. Of course there are some situations when one has to type quickly, but there are people who don't try it even if there is no stress.

Additionally I can't stand such things:

- We will meet tomorrwo!
- *tomorrow

Everyone knows that it should be "tomorrow", no need to break the atmosphere by such unnecessary additions.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

LifeWonder wrote:
Capitalizing and simple grammatical mistakes are two different, distinct things. It's at least attempting standard English.
Caecilianus Cathari

Post by Caecilianus Cathari »

But you said standard English.
Julius

Post by Julius »

I had a capital letter and proper punctuation. That's all I care about.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Ok den, amma rite everthn widda capital an propa punktuwayshun. Logeekally, akkordin 2 wat u said, u shold b ok wid roleplayin wid some1 hus typin like dat since it has propa capitals an punktuwayshun.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Is it good or bad, that I could read that without any problem?
Julius

Post by Julius »

LifeWonder wrote:Ok den, amma rite everthn widda capital an propa punktuwayshun. Logeekally, akkordin 2 wat u said, u shold b ok wid roleplayin wid some1 hus typin like dat since it has propa capitals an punktuwayshun.
Alright. I think everyone else here with at least a high school education understood my meaning.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Julius wrote:Alright. I think everyone else here with at least a high school education understood my meaning.
I haven't finished High school and I understand what you mean.
I think people should definitely put more effort into proper punctuation and decent grammar.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Maybe we should all play orcs?
Alber G

Post by Alber G »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Maybe we should all play orcs?
*Praises*
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Julius wrote:I had a capital letter and proper punctuation. That's all I care about.
The full stop should have been after the bracket. That's what I pointed out earlier. So not proper punctuation.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

In general its wanted to write in a proper gramatical way in the game. Along with capitals and punctuation. But since there are some who are not able due what ever reasons to do this, I think its acceptable if a few leave the capitals away. But it should be a target for everyone to write proper sentences.

When it comes to the "modern language" the thing looks different. Modern language is forbidden in the game, as you can read at rule 7 (OOC). Any player who uses those modern language that does not fit the enviroment of Illarion should get a information that this is wrong. Eigther the player who encounters someone else using a inproper language can tell him about this himself, or tell the GMs about the player.

Nitram
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

To Julius, while I agree with your point, you failed to capitalise the word "English", which goes against yourself in a way.