Please end the 'Pig Plague' Quest

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Please end the 'Pig Plague' Quest

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I humbly ask a GM, any GM, to end this 'Pig Plague' Quest.

This quest has lasted two months already, the GM who started it hasn't returned or even PM'd the people with cures.

IG, Chester has been paying the character by Lifewonder to find the cure, which he has....that GM told him to collect certain things, but hasn't returned to end it! Other Characters I know posted possible solutions to RPG Forums with no response. Everyone is frustrated by this.

This 'lack' of leather has absolutely ruined the player economy. Without Pigs dropping leather, Leatherworking, Armoring, even making spears and slings are impossible.

'Some' players have stockpiles in depots, or are 'breaking' rules by getting leather from other characters. Even fewer will collect leather from a certain NPC, but it's a rare drop and difficult.

I don't think this 'Quest' serves a 'positive' purpose anymore, and needs to come to an end for the benefit of Gameplay. It's hampering many people's fun by going on and on with no end in sight.

PLEASE END THE 'PIG PLAGUE'!!!

Thank you.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Agreed.
The quest has gone on long enough.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Keep the quest going on as long as it takes.

Writing some notes on the boards should never qualify as futile attempts to end a quest (or enough to end a quest anyway).

To quote a popular gamemaster "Keep in mind that Illarion is not a board-rp game", why don't you start doing some in-game events, player-driven that is, to try end the plague and find the cure?

You can't expect gamemasters do be the only source of roleplay to involve more than one person, make some of it on your own.

Even though you know it'll be futile you'll get some roleplay out of coordinating and executing those plans that have been pinned to the boards. This quest has in my eyes not even started as nobody did anything in-game yet to stop it. All we did was write on the boards (as per usual).

Keep the quest, make lazy players instead of being entertained by a previously scripted (as in, the outcome and plot is written beforehand) GM driven quest, make their own roleplay by using just the bits given out to them by the GM (Your pigs are sick).

Red=Fixed spelling
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

The problem isn't the players, and as PO Chester pointed out, some things -were- done IG. The problem is that the GM hasn't seemed to return, or hasn't been keeping up with it.
Hushed

Re: Please end the 'Pig Plague' Quest

Post by Hushed »

Juniper Onyx wrote:I humbly ask a GM, any GM, to end this 'Pig Plague' Quest.

. . .

PLEASE END THE 'PIG PLAGUE'!!!
Signed.

July 26 LifeWonder posted

(( The solution and everything was found and all, I just need the concerned GM to answer to my MSN messages and get in game. D: ))
Almost a month now since it should have been over. Perhaps another GM could pick up where the last one left off?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I don't think this 'Quest' serves a 'positive' purpose anymore
I am actually unclear on why the delay, it must be the longest quest in history!
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

it isnt
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Faladron wrote:Keep the quest going on as long as it takes.

Writing some notes on the boards should never qualify as futile attempts to end a quest (or enough to end a quest anyway).
It's a start if nothing is going on IG.
Faladron wrote:To quote a popular gamemaster "Keep in mind that Illarion is not a board-rp game", why don't you start doing some in-game events, player-driven that is, to try end the plague and find the cure?
Umm.....
Juniper Onyx wrote: IG, Chester has been paying the character by Lifewonder to find the cure, which he has....that GM told him to collect certain things, but hasn't returned to end it! Other Characters I know posted possible solutions to RPG Forums with no response. Everyone is frustrated by this.....
I did, IG Chester offered 100 Silvers, and even tried to form a party to end it.....but no GM answered my request to have this event, or even where to start. The closest I got was I got PO 'Lifewonder' to find the cause and work on a cure. It's done - the cause was verified more than a month ago. We have just been waiting for that GM support to end it. It's not an IG problem, sorry.
Faladron wrote:You can't expect gamemasters do be the only source of roleplay to involve more than one person, make some of it on your own.
We do, but if it doesn't affect the Game (Cure the pigs), or a GM is not present to verify what we did.......what's the point?
Faladron wrote:Even though you know it'll be futile you'll get some roleplay out of coordinating and executing those plans that have been pinned to the boards. This quest has in my eyes not even started as nobody did anything in-game yet to stop it. All we did was write on the boards (as per usual).
As I said, several players have been involved to try to find the cause and cure. Just because you don't know any, doesn't mean it wasn't happening. I know at least four actively trying to find a cause and cure. I myself visited every pig on the Isle, looking in Vain for a 'clue' - No clues out there I could see. Besides, I've written before that those 'Quest' descriptions are vague and should list "Who" is running it, so we can at least coordinate efforts. I still don't know "Who" that GM is, do you?
Faladron wrote:Keep the quest, make lazy players instead of being entertained by a previously scripted (as in, the outcome and plot is written beforehand) GM driven quest, make their own roleplay by using just the bits given out to them by the GM (Your pigs are sick).
Umm...I don't know any 'Lazy' Players that aren't New, I believe everyone works their butts off to build skills and friendships to enhance their RP. As Players, we put a lot of Real Time into this Game, and I wouldn't call that 'lazy'. For some of us, it's a real sacrifice.

So how can they do 'Make their own Roleplay' without some way of 'examining' the pigs, the ground, the food, etc? They can Guess and make something up, but it's no better than a post on the forum, which you discounted. If the 'Game Mechanics' are affected...It's a GM Quest. Players can't possibly solve something like this on their own without GM help or 'Validation' of some kind. I really don't understand your thinking in this situation, sorry, but you're wrong.
Last edited by Juniper Onyx on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loralyn
Location: Follow me into this dark alley and i'll show you...

Post by Loralyn »

My apologies for the delay but at the time I had no access to the game. The quest will however end very soon.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Loralyn wrote:My apologies for the delay but at the time I had no access to the game. The quest will however end very soon.
Yay!!!!

Thank you!

Thank you!

#me Hugs you!
:D :D :D :D :D
Valric
Location: In your home, wondering why you left your stove on..

Post by Valric »

YES! *cries with happines* THANK YOU SO MUCH!
------------------:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D-------------------
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Loralyn wrote:My apologies for the delay but at the time I had no access to the game. The quest will however end very soon.
We still love you.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Juniper Onyx wrote: ... no GM answered my request to have this event, ... We have just been waiting for that GM support to end it.
Why do you need to cling onto a Gm to host an event? You're performing your auctions without GM intervention, why not do other things likewise?
Juniper Onyx wrote: We do, but if it doesn't affect the Game (Cure the pigs), or a GM is not present to verify what we did.......what's the point?
Roleplay? By chance? I don't know, Illarion is said to be a roleplaying game, so do some of that even if the "gain" by "verification" is nil. :roll:
Juniper Onyx wrote: Umm...I don't know any 'Lazy' Players that aren't New, I believe everyone works their butts off to build skills
Exactly, and nobody sees the point in "wasting" their skill-time with some
roleplay that wouldn't give a benefit. The way you put it GM's have to approve or wave around with rewards before you start to roleplay by your own accord (left aside the roleplay is about: Crafting/ Fighting / Trading, people seem to be capable of that if they really have to even without a GM patting them on their shoulder "Well done.")

Juniper Onyx wrote: So how can they do 'Make their own Roleplay' without some way of 'examining' the pigs, the ground, the food, etc? They can Guess and make something up, but it's no better than a post on the forum, which you discounted. If the 'Game Mechanics' are affected...It's a GM Quest. Players can't possibly solve something like this on their own without GM help or 'Validation' of some kind.
They can make up as much as they want as long as it's within reason.
And every roleplay happening in-game is better than a post on the forum, the game is about playing the game, not scribbling notes on a messageboard. They can't solve it without GM help, I agree, but they can use it to enhance their own roleplay in-game with things you mentioned (forming a party to find the cure, talking to others about it, etc.). I don't blame you for other people not joining your effords, I blame those people for being lazy.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Faladron wrote:
Juniper Onyx wrote: ... no GM answered my request to have this event, ... We have just been waiting for that GM support to end it.
Why do you need to cling onto a Gm to host an event? You're performing your auctions without GM intervention, why not do other things likewise?
Sometimes I wonder whether you just argue for the sake of it.

HE NEEDS GM INTERVENTION BECAUSE OTHERWISE NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

The GM removed "leather drops" from the code, and to put it back, you need A GM/(dev) TO PUT IT BACK.

So unless he wants whatever he does to be totally useless he needs a GM.

I didn't bother reading the rest of it...
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

Faladron, 1. you simply cannot say that nothing happens ingame, as - I suppose - you are not able to survey the chars ;)
2. Juniper is simply referring to the fact that most probably at least some chars did something ingame, 'prepared' the ongoing and hopefully end of the quest and - as Juniper also said - are now waiting for a GM to finalise the matter, as it has been announced as a GM-quest and LifeWonder already stated that the solution has been found. Fact is, that only by the aid of some GM/scripter the 'cure' of the pigs can be finalised by making them drop leather and meat again.
3. as I already said weeks ago: this plague is annoying, because in first line new chars who depend on the copper from sales of the leather and thread and the ham as affordable food source are effected too much by a quest pending for months now

but as Loralyn announced: an end is in sight :)
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Woah, calm down fellows.. Loralyn didn't have access to Illarion for a while.. not a big deal.. go kill cows meanwhile. :P
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

LifeWonder wrote:Woah, calm down fellows.. Loralyn didn't have access to Illarion for a while.. not a big deal.. go kill cows meanwhile. :P
Since when did they drop leather? They didn't used to, just Horns and steak.

Is there something you want to tell the rest of us? The only cows I know of are on Vanima, and strictly speaking, for me to go there just to get leather would be poor RP, and piss off whatever elves still live there. I hope no-one's doing this....even the Elves of Vanima wouldn't be RP'ing properly if they killed their own cows.

I wouldn't ever consider something like this, a 'real' solution. Let's not try to 'abuse' the system and 'Try' to stay within 'character'? :wink:

I'm desparate for leather, but not at the expense of 'abusing' a great game and 'established' roles for characters of all races! :D
Last edited by Juniper Onyx on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Faladron wrote:
Juniper Onyx wrote: We do, but if it doesn't affect the Game (Cure the pigs), or a GM is not present to verify what we did.......what's the point?
Roleplay? By chance? I don't know, Illarion is said to be a roleplaying game, so do some of that even if the "gain" by "verification" is nil. :roll:
Juniper Onyx wrote: Umm...I don't know any 'Lazy' Players that aren't New, I believe everyone works their butts off to build skills
Exactly, and nobody sees the point in "wasting" their skill-time with some
roleplay that wouldn't give a benefit. The way you put it GM's have to approve or wave around with rewards before you start to roleplay by your own accord (left aside the roleplay is about: Crafting/ Fighting / Trading, people seem to be capable of that if they really have to even without a GM patting them on their shoulder "Well done.")

Juniper Onyx wrote: So how can they do 'Make their own Roleplay' without some way of 'examining' the pigs, the ground, the food, etc? They can Guess and make something up, but it's no better than a post on the forum, which you discounted. If the 'Game Mechanics' are affected...It's a GM Quest. Players can't possibly solve something like this on their own without GM help or 'Validation' of some kind.
They can make up as much as they want as long as it's within reason.
And every roleplay happening in-game is better than a post on the forum, the game is about playing the game, not scribbling notes on a messageboard. They can't solve it without GM help, I agree, but they can use it to enhance their own roleplay in-game with things you mentioned (forming a party to find the cure, talking to others about it, etc.). I don't blame you for other people not joining your effords, I blame those people for being lazy.
faladron you are becoming very annoying with your posts. this is almost something alex would post and even he didn't. your first argument had no good points what so ever and now you are just bickering and trying to defend yourself. so now be quite. your bickering and flaming is not needed. i thank god this quest is finally over. i don't really care why it took so long just glad it's done.
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

i'll be honest.. in one respect the pig plague made it so i have to spend all my coin on leather.. on the other it afforded to me higher prices for my leathery goods.. wich i still gave away at times for un known reasons... >.<;

any who... good and bad.. there is leather out there to be bought.. but the last tme i tried to buy leather the price asked was insane so sadly((im greedy)) i must agree with chester and thank the gm.... thank you sir/ma'am for returning us to normalcy..
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:this is almost something alex would post and even he didn't.
Course I wouldn't post this, I was about to counter it until I saw it'd been solved.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

I was wrong, you were right.

Have a nice day, see you later guys.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Unlockz ([o]
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Redo the drought
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Stop the pig plague? And in wich other way I am able to sell my last 60 leather with a price of 600 silver???

Heck with it. :wink: :D :D :D

greetings
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

OFFS.

In Finland, we have this saying "War does not long for one man" which in this case should be translated as "Get some other gamemaster to finish the retarded quest in case the one who initiated it is unable access the game until sometime mid 2009".

Seriously. The drought had the point of players having to find the solution for the problem (which they did not for quite some time) unlike the plague at this point. A PitA quest such as this shouldn't linger on until further notice from the absent gamemaster's part, instead some other gamemaster should pick it up from where she left it and finish it for the sake of everyone's comfort. I doubt ending this actually 'requires' the presence of the gamemaster who started the quest in any way.

Clue transmission end. Now do as I say. :P
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I agree. We, the players have done our part. It's time for other GM's to intervene and end it.

The RP that was "Supposed" to end it is here:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=28274

However, I haven't seen the original GM finish either the 'approved' RP, nor end the quest. Not only Crafters, but even non-crafter Fighters are suffering from lack of armor (Needs leather), as well as hurting Gameplay.

The Character involved has been paid for his efforts, the GM started the RP for the cure, but hasn't finished it. It's been a 'Staff' issue for a while. This is worse than the Drought, because there is nothing else we, as 'players' can do!

Please someone show some "Cajones" and end it!
Last edited by Juniper Onyx on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Juniper Onyx wrote:I agree. We, the players have done our part. It's time for other GM's to intervene and end it.

However, I haven't seen the original GM finish either the 'approved' RP, nor end the quest. Not only Crafters, but even non-crafter Fighters are suffering from lack of armor (Needs leather), as well as hurting Gameplay.

The Character involved has been paid for his efforts, the GM started the RP for the cure, but hasn't finished it. It's been a 'Staff' issue for a while. This is worse than the Drought, because there is nothing else we, as 'players' can do!

Please someone show some "Cahones" and end it!
It's spelled "cojones"!
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

LifeWonder wrote:
Juniper Onyx wrote:I agree. We, the players have done our part. It's time for other GM's to intervene and end it.

Please someone show some "Cahones" and end it!
It's spelled "cojones"!
Thanks. :lol:
Olive

Post by Olive »

can we get back to the actual issue of the pig plague still not havign been ended and not be deliberatly sidetracked by such useless drivel such as a words misspelling which has nothing to do with the topic other than to boost post counts?

plague was promise dto be ended, it hasn't... somebody take the guilty party behind the woodshed and end this stupid plague already.

i mean seriously, all it takes is editing the pig drops to include meat and leather again