Self perception.

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Konrad Knox

Self perception.

Post by Konrad Knox »

Something i noticed about the examination system. Characters with high perception can detect more details about other people from greater distance than characters with low perception. That's great.
But also, if you click on yourself, it looks like the game still checks for perception. Is this a bug or supposed to be like that? So the characters with lower perception don't know what they themselves look like?
Should self-perception bypass perception check? Basically asking this because it makes it impossible to tell what build I am without asking others to tell me, unless I have perception over 12.

Thanks.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

you shouldn't even be able to look at yourself this way. This is about to get excluded.

But I think I will include something like this by using the mirror. So you get your full description if you look into one. But thats in work.

Nitram
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

And may I ask why? Why shouldn't a person oversee themselves? How well your coat looks, how well your weapons are hidden, etc?
Looking down at yourself is a realistic thing to do, is it not?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Because after the next change of that lookats you will see things like your age and stuff by clicking at you. Can you tell me how you look down at yourself and see your age?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Will it be an exact age, or a general idea? Also, how will we do aging, will we have to contact you every three-four months to get our age changed?
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Well, Nitters, I look down at myself, at my hands, and see wrinkles, the pattern of skin, smoothness of it, I can look at my muscles if I flex a bicep, I can tell if my stomach and ribs are fit, if the muscles are shabby and saggy or well defined. I look down at my stomach and see if I am fat or skinny (fat if I can't see my penis because my belly blocks it, etc). I can tell how my face looks by feeling the skin of my beard, forehead, cheeks - I can feel wrinkles. Perception is not just sight - it's sense of touch, smell, taste, hearing, and any other "sixth" sense you can have, your instincts. Old people have an old people smell, young ripe women smell like young ripe women. As an animal, a human being can rather correctly estimate oneself as of where they stand compared to others.

I need a scale to tell you that I weight exactly 160 pounds and my height is 6 feet. But without those devices I can already say that I am medium-tall, slim, young looking. Simply because I look slim compared to others. I feel which humans are bigger or smaller than me.

Does that give you an idea?
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

I look down at my stomach and see if I am fat
:lol:

You look down at yourself, and all you see is the tip of your toes.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

you can see 80% of your body looking down at yourself.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Beer formed that body...

anyway. For the next version I think its possible to consider a special lookat in case the character looks at himself. We will see.

Nitram
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

That would be very appreciated, Nitram!
Because mirrors is more like the magnifying glass for items. Using it on yourself sounds a bit silly.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Konrad Knox wrote:Using it on yourself sounds a bit silly.
*suddenly feels stupid everytime he looks in the bathroom mirror before washing himself* :roll:
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

It's amazing, I always see people checking their shoelaces by looking down, but using mirrors to check their appearance. :-)

Go for the mirrors nitram!
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Yeah, shoelaces or...length? :P

But yes, go for mirrors! It would be a reason for having that big mirror in your house!
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Nop wrote:It's amazing, I always see people checking their shoelaces by looking down, but using mirrors to check their appearance. :-)

Go for the mirrors nitram!
I vote for mirrors too. It makes sense.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

What is a mirror?
is that some kind of magic?
if we want to see ourselves, we norodaj look in some still water.
or at a polished shield.

you civilized people must be centuries ahead of us...

-----------------

mirrors in a world like illarion could be affordable for the upper ten persons of the isle, but not for everybody.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Big Mirrow - 5 golden ingots, 10 boards of cherry, 15 pins, 40 glass ingots

and 15 silver, thats not something only the upper ten could afford.
Mark Strongarm

Post by Mark Strongarm »

I agree with konrad to a degree that one can roughly estimate how we compare to others and how others see us. But there is also a degree to which we do not really know how we appear to others. Some people think too much of themselves, others not enough. This is perhaps the goal that nitram is striving to portray with the difference from looking at someone else vs. examining ones self.

I like the mirror idea, but I also like that maybe we need a friend to tell us we could lose a few pounds etc.