The nasty Wordlist

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Could just see it as magic that resurrects them, and magic is unexplained. Maybe they wouldn't give a thought, like noone gave a thought to gravity.
Because Oldra loves us, and she wants to keep us close to her?
What do you not understand about promoting atheism?
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Could just see it as magic that resurrects them, and magic is unexplained. Maybe they wouldn't give a thought, like noone gave a thought to gravity.
Because Oldra loves us, and she wants to keep us close to her?
"Promoting"
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
AlexRose wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote: Because Oldra loves us, and she wants to keep us close to her?
"Promoting"
Evangelism ftw!
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

Magic doesn't have to come from the gods. Often it does, but not always. An atheist in Illarion could perhaps believe that the "gods" are made up by mages to scare people? Or something. I do not find that so strange. None of my characters have seen a god.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Keunthus wrote:. An atheist in Illarion could perhaps believe that the "gods" are made up by mages to scare people?
Actually "Look at what the gods have given me" is less scary than "Look, I can create all this massive power BY MYSELF"
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

What about the priests who have no power? They have perhaps made up the gods to scare people? One of my characters (not made yet, though. Future character) doesn't really believe in the gods. Not everyone on Earth believes in evolution, for example, so it's not that strange that not everyone in Illarion doesn't believe in the gods.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I have a biology teacher who does not believe in the evolution... :P
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

Pellandria wrote:Strange that you argue with the "magic is normal in illarion" and now completly turn it around with saying that it would be unknowable, the fact that the "afterlife" is indeed present in illarion (undeads, people coming back from death, crosses heaing grave wounds) eliminates that aswell, believing in gods hould be "normal" and argumenting with believings caused by reallife is simply nonsense, someone who would doubt the gods should normally come up with any explanation of how things work, having someone doubting and while someone clearly ~shows~ him the might of the gods, nothing else is arcane magic, is and allways will be bad rp, unless you play your guy overall doubtfull and unable to grasp the "reality".

In my opinion magic (and I'm not talking about "priest magic") has exactly nothing to do with the gods, apart from that they created mana. Just like they created air, fire, water, earth and many other things that the people of Illarion figured out to use. It's a tool and not any different to anything else you would find on Illarion. It's not more special than mud or the stars. The believer will think that all of this comes from the same creators hands anyway. (Just that mana is a bit more difficult to handle than mud...)
And the non-believer will think the opposite. That all of this is simply "naturally given."
Magic would not proof the existence of gods. Not in a world like Illarion. Neither would dragons. If cats wouldn't exist in our world but we would have invented them for this game called Illarion, would they be a proof for the existance of the ingame gods too? Thought so.
Dragons and magic is nothing unnormal in Illarion. It's a daily and proven thing. Just that no one could tell where they do come from.

Undeads and the way the cross work is a completely other topic. I think undeads and people coming back from death is pretty much a good proof for an "afterlife" and therefor for "gods".
But you have to consider that basically nearly no one on Gobaith actually does origin from Gobaith. They come from Salkamar and Albar or somewhere else. And how many undeads do run around as often there as they do on our little, cursed island? Probably not much. A character that has never experienced any of these supernatural things happening does have a very good and valid reason not to believe in the gods. That is not bad RP.
And even when he comes to Gobaith and experiences the first strange things and still ignores them because he simply "can't" believe what is happening than that is not bad rp either.