rare metal

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Olive

rare metal

Post by Olive »

i was thinking about the natural progresion of technology from stoen ages to bronze, then iron, and so forth. Bauxite ore has been known about for a VERY long time, but only recently in the past 100 years or so was a process that was cheap enough found to refine the ore using an electric current, tus prodcung the alum metal.

What do people think about havign miners occasionaly stumble on small bauxite deposites that normally have no use, but ocasionally during either fierce thnderstorms, or thru druidic rituals involving the calling of lighting could by chance strike a bauxite stone and this leave behidn a smoldering small chunk of alum that when combined iwth several others could be combined into a single Alum ingot which could then be used to to forge arms that while maybe not as durable as bronze or as sharp as iron, woudl be much lighter and degrade less over time.

yes my spelling sucks, i am dyslexic so get over it, i woud llove to hear constructive crticism but if you are just going to whine or veto without a real arguement then please dont reply
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

interesting idea, but:

1, items that require such materials would have to be added to the crafting system(thought up, named, given an image and recipe)

2, it would be really crappy to get a swirly and discover you have a new item you can create, then use up alot of other resources making it then find out the final ingredients are nearly impossible to find

3, I think they already have a rare ore added to the game(never seen it but its in the wiki)

4, wouldn't it be better to add a new item that all crafts can use

but then again I guess you could use it instead of iron in anything you're making and make an aluminum plate armor instead of plate armor for instance, but, how much weaker would it be? and if its alot weaker would it even be worth using?

possibly not a bad idea but it raises lots of questions...
Olive

Post by Olive »

wel it wouldn't be significantly weaker, but it wouldn't have the BEST defense so to speak, maybe say two grades down in defensive quality, or offensive quality so still quite good, just much lighter so that for instance you coudl carry alot more loot with you.

as for actually smithing it, i woudl have thought to make it woudl have been somewhat simple, forge the blade or armor piece, attached a handle, in that order, so you know right away if you can use it and dont tie up resources.

maybe even make the ability to forge it part of some divine quest

it was just an idea to stop havign a race to the top so to speak amongst warriors. havign a weapon that is maybe signiifacntly faster to swing or armor that is increidbly lighter than the best might offer people more options to equip themselve with.

on second thought just ignore the suggestion, mainly since it will be anyways seeing the view vs reply ratio
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

or this could be implemented with rare merinium we have ingame now. Make it have more use than just used to make icebirds.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Aluminium is a pretty weak metal for a fighter. Ask a lot of SCA fighters and they might trust aluminium gauntlets over nothing, but steel is preferable. Personally I wouldn't trust my fingers to much less unless it is a super hard plastic, I want to be able to move them the next day. Regardless, Aluminium isn't something a fighter would trust, and even then, something I doubt people would have used during the time period for efficentcy reasons.

I don't want to make you not want to suggest ideas. It was a good idea, but from a fighter stand point it wouldn't work.

However, I give two counter suggestions to that.

A) Stainless. It was around then, it did exist, but it was more accidental. So there could be a 1:50 chance that you get a stainless steel armor which is stronger and decays slower. Oh, and you can see yourself in it. :P

B) Higher variety of armor assortments. We could have metal knees and elbow cups on leather armor. Leather (water hardened) scale mail. There is a whole assortment of armor that existed, but don't exist in Illarion. Though I guess the major problem is we need people to design it.
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:B) Higher variety of armor assortments. We could have metal knees and elbow cups on leather armor. Leather (water hardened) scale mail. There is a whole assortment of armor that existed, but don't exist in Illarion. Though I guess the major problem is we need people to design it.
would definitely be nice to have more types of greaves, boots, and gloves...

like I said its not a bad idea just leaves a lot to wonder for each reader
Llama

Post by Llama »

Something like this would be perfect. You could also extend it for rare wood and have a great trade good, especially if its really rare.

As a 'bonus', I'd suggest somethign which is very easy to code and which can be done now, an increase in quality.

So making XXX armor with Y skill and iron would get you an average armor
making XXX armor with Y skill and using this special substance with it (together with the iron) would get you a good armor.

If needs be (to make this work) you could have it used ON the armor after its made (for coding purposes)
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

We ready have 4 metals (iron, copper, gold and merinium) beside of ~6 kinds of gems and 4 pure elements

That should be enough at first. We "only" have to raise the use of them to produce high-end products, so that they will have much more worth compared with the current situation.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Dantagon Marescot wrote: B) Higher variety of armor assortments. We could have metal knees and elbow cups on leather armor. Leather (water hardened) scale mail. There is a whole assortment of armor that existed, but don't exist in Illarion. Though I guess the major problem is we need people to design it.
The problem really is making it useful more than the graphics. Theres so many armors and stuff already unused.

In addition to what Dantagon said about aluminum, a key factor in making aluminum useful is the tempering. T6 requires heat treatment as well as artificial aging, not to mention you need to alloy aluminum to even make it more than pop can strength.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

We already have a rare metal IG, why would we need anouther rare metal?