Visibility enhancement in narrow Dungeons

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Adano Eles

Visibility enhancement in narrow Dungeons

Post by Adano Eles »

Some days ago I noticed that it's hard for archer characters to fight in narrow dungeons because the walls are blocking the visibility of the target marker. One can easily attack their own friends by accident without them even knowing who hit them if they're in battle already.
Therefore I propose to enhance the visibility in narrow dungeons by either adding a function which turns all walls transparent or by automatically turning the walls around the selected target transparent.
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

I don't know. The way that it is seems to model something fairly reasonable and logical. What's gained by removing the limitation on archers? How does making them more powerful *improve* things?

In other words, why do you think that it's a good idea to fire arrows into a crowded space with limited visibility? "Because it's fantasy" isn't a good answer, unless you can site particular examples from the fantasy genre which you think it would model better.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Elsi wrote:I don't know. The way that it is seems to model something fairly reasonable and logical. What's gained by removing the limitation on archers? How does making them more powerful *improve* things?

In other words, why do you think that it's a good idea to fire arrows into a crowded space with limited visibility? "Because it's fantasy" isn't a good answer, unless you can site particular examples from the fantasy genre which you think it would model better.
... Archers aren't powerful, they're crap, that's why NOONE plays one. Improving archers is a GOOD thing.

Imagine illarion was 3D and you're an archer in a corridor. You can see your targets along the corridor, right? Now let's flip it back to 2D, where your character who is in the game world would not think "Oh damn, those isometric walls are really annoying". You can't target them, because the bottom walls are in the way. The walls are not obscuring the CHARACTER'S view at all, but you can't attack your enemy because it's obscuring YOUR view.

I personally think being able to click a button and all walls become translucent would be a great feature.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Could this aswell be enabled for any other objects like trees and such?

Maybe if there is a problem with that solution how about exchanging the "big walls" with stones, they would still block your movement but greatly enchance your visibility.
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

AlexRose wrote:
Elsi wrote:I don't know. The way that it is seems to model something fairly reasonable and logical. What's gained by removing the limitation on archers? How does making them more powerful *improve* things?

... Archers aren't powerful, they're crap, that's why NOONE plays one. Improving archers is a GOOD thing.

Imagine illarion was 3D and you're an archer in a corridor. You can see your targets along the corridor, right? Now let's flip it back to 2D, where your character who is in the game world would not think "Oh damn, those isometric walls are really annoying". You can't target them, because the bottom walls are in the way. The walls are not obscuring the CHARACTER'S view at all, but you can't attack your enemy because it's obscuring YOUR view.

I personally think being able to click a button and all walls become translucent would be a great feature.
I'm not saying there's a power balance issue with it. I'm saying there's a reality issue with it.

I think firing a weapon into a melee where you have friends should mean you have a real chance of hitting your friends. I think there are some issues with archery - if a good archer targets you at range you shouldn't be able to charge him or her, even if you are wearing really good armor (Agincourt, anyone). If you want to make the skill more 'useful' fiddle with that aspect.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

But if you hit your friends in RL your friends will yell at you for hitting them.
If you hit your friends in Illa in a narrow corridor you will not notice until they die and the attack music stops.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I would love this feature, not being able to target something near a wall got my char ghosted yesterday.......not an archer, a mage trying to heal. If the wall could only be partially transparent, say 40-50% for a small radius, or adjusted to show the target, this would be very helpful not only to archers but others. Keep in mine, I am not too interested in "reality" in game, but if you venture closer to a dark area, or hard to see area in real life, you can usually see it much better.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I hate it when you target someone to heal them, and they run off, and you can't see them on the wall to untarget them, so you can't heal yourself and you die.

It's one of the most annoying things ever, and it happens all the time.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Just saying...Archers can kill a highly skilled character most of the time if they have high skills as well as good distance weapon stats. It is more balanced than you might believe.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

I say take it a step further and make the walls in a huge area transparent 70% for not only targeting NPCs and party members but also these arse hole criminals that hide behind the buildings. And make it more then a 2 or three tile thing...make it the entire wall.

@ Alex you know as well as I do that you can still heal yourself with MES PEN without unlocking your target. All you have to do is click the spell then drag the cursor over yourself and click and release. And even if your target is hidden by a graphical wall just ctrl+click the nearest skeleton and because of the delay of targeting the red cursor will fall almost immediately then you can spam MES PEN to heal yourself. :P
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

In dungeons it would be enougth to replace the wall items with the wall tiles at the places, those wall items disturb.

And by the way. If you fire on a enemy you have a good, but skilldepending chance to hit the character that stands in your line of fire.

Nitram
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

wow our archer system is that advanced?
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Distance weapons deals far more damage then slashing or concussion.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

theres alot of discussion about visibilty due to walls lately.

Would it be possible to create a wall item, that is very low, but implies there is a wall. And whenever your in a cave this item takes the place of all south and west walls. And once you enter a building, all the south and west wall pieces are replaced by this smaller wall.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

HolyKnight wrote:@ Alex you know as well as I do that you can still heal yourself with MES PEN without unlocking your target. All you have to do is click the spell then drag the cursor over yourself and click and release. And even if your target is hidden by a graphical wall just ctrl+click the nearest skeleton and because of the delay of targeting the red cursor will fall almost immediately then you can spam MES PEN to heal yourself. :P
You've obviously never tried to fight 2 necromancers and 2 reds on overspawn. When someone runs off, you cannot spam MES PENs on yourself, nor can you MES PEN SIH because you keep getting hit too much. When there are that many monsters you don't have time to move your mouse away from your spellbook, and you usually panic and don't think to do that. Also, I'm talking about you're both running away, you and your target. You can't untarget them because you can't see them, targeting something else is risky and all you want to do is run and spam heals, but you can't :P .
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Pellandria wrote:wow our archer system is that advanced?
No, I tricked you.

Meh... yeah it is. The whole fighting system is pretty good, did you notice :P But still the archery part is unbalanced as hell, what leads to the point that its awfull crappy.

Nitram
Nop
Developer

Re: Visibility enhancement in narrow Dungeons

Post by Nop »

Adano Eles wrote: Therefore I propose to enhance the visibility in narrow dungeons by either adding a function which turns all walls transparent or by automatically turning the walls around the selected target transparent.
I like that idea. In fact, I liked it so much that I just implemented it. In client version 1.1, the area around the attack marker will become transparent, just like around the character.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Nop wrote:
Adano Eles wrote: Therefore I propose to enhance the visibility in narrow dungeons by either adding a function which turns all walls transparent or by automatically turning the walls around the selected target transparent.
I like that idea. In fact, I liked it so much that I just implemented it. In client version 1.1, the area around the attack marker will become transparent, just like around the character.
VERY nice, thank you!
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

I propose the archery system is made better.

How? I dunno

Who? Anyone

What? The archery system, i just said dummy

Where? IG

When? NOW

Why? To appease the needs of the one or two archers ig

XD

please?
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Thanks Nop. A nice birthday present for me, if I hadn't read about it yesterday already. :)

Tells me that I can still make senseful proposals. :)
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Nop wrote:I like that idea. In fact, I liked it so much that I just implemented it. In client version 1.1, the area around the attack marker will become transparent, just like around the character.
Sounds nice, thank you!
I guess this will help distance fighters (if they find their wished target behind high walls...).

Will there be more changes in Client 1.1?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Miklorius wrote:Will there be more changes in Client 1.1?
Yes :P