The Rothmans...

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Gwendolin Cad'ell

The Rothmans...

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

If I remember correctly Stephen Rothmans age was 28 or maybe 29 last before the PO got banned. For the sake of the argument lets say he was 30 years old.

Julius Rothman is Grant Rothmans brother. Grant Rothman when he came to this island was 16 years old. For the sake of the argument, lets imagine he was 15 years. That means Stephen Rothman got his ... apparently first son in the age of 15. Sounds possible to me. If we imagine that Julius was Grants.. twin? Then he could have been of the same age. Assuming he played his character for a year now (which is not the case I think) we can give him +3 years.
That would mean that Julius is of the age of 18.
Now Julius has a daughter in the age of ~ 15 years. Which concludes that Julius made a woman pregnant when he was 3 years old. ...

Or if we count it the other way around. His daughter is 15 years old, Lets say he was 15 himself when he made her mother pregnant then Julius would be 30 years old now. Which... would either mean that Stephen Rothman was 0 years old by Julius birth or that the char Stephen Rothman was over 40 years old. Which was clearly not the case.

What I think now is: Can't you just stop this nonsense?!

It seriously angers me how you just twist a chars background story the way you need and want it. Stephen Rothman was not YOUR char. And I say it again: Even if Sam doesn't care about what you do with his chars background story, there were people who played with his char! And his char definitely wasn't over 40 years old. And he had a clear and existing background story. You can't just do what the hell you want with it and just pretend nothing that has happened ingame never existed.

Anyway, the only conclusion for me is, that none of my chars will ever believe that either Grant nor Julius nor any other "Rothman" was actually ever Stephens own, original child. Maybe he adopted Grant, but that's it.

I was first about to post this into the off topic, but I think this demands a bit more attention than that. Because this is clearly getting out of hand.
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

I don't think it really deserves much.
It's not really affecting anyone else's RP.

I say that, as I'm the one playing Cahir.
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

It's not allowed to change someones background.
Doesn't matter if he's still playing or not.
Lance Thunnigan

We're not.
We're creating ours.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

When you are creating yours then I assume that's Julius for example really *isn't* Stephens son.

And it does affect MY rp. If you remember my character Bailey Thunnigan was married with Stephen Rothman. And he was *not* 40 year old. Julius daughter would be Baileys grand-stepdaughter if they weren't divorced. I mean .. wth.

PS: And please. Tell me the background story you are creating. I would be delighted to hear how you explain the problem I stated in the first post.
Last edited by Gwendolin Cad'ell on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lance Thunnigan

I don't see what the BIIIG D333LZ0R ish.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Gwendolin Cad'ell wrote:When you are creating yours then I assume that's Julius for example really *isn't* Stephens son.
If that is so... then Julius can't claim the kallahorn's land... which he's trying to do currently according to the guild forum at least.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

ogerawa wrote:
Gwendolin Cad'ell wrote:When you are creating yours then I assume that's Julius for example really *isn't* Stephens son.
If that is so... then Julius can't claim the kallahorn's land... which he's trying to do currently according to the guild forum at least.
I wouldn't let him do it, no matter who the character Julius is claiming to be. It is biological not possible that Julius has a 15 year old daughter AND is Stephens offspring.
Nitram
Developer

Re: The Rothmans...

Post by Nitram »

Gwendolin Cad'ell wrote:Which concludes that Julius made a woman pregnant when he was 3 years old.
Guess he does not waste any time xD :lol:

Sorry for the spam.

:(
Alytys Lamar

Re: The Rothmans...

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Nitram wrote:
Gwendolin Cad'ell wrote:Which concludes that Julius made a woman pregnant when he was 3 years old.
Guess he does not waste any time xD :lol:

Sorry for the spam.

:(
HEY NItters !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Jen, looks more then unrealistic for me. Its important to have a *time* logical story or you come ( if you really seriously rp ) sooner or later in a *hard pressed to explain situation*.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

And even if Stephen was 40, either Julius or Stephen would have had to give birth somewhere between the ages of 10-15...

For example, if Stephen is 40 and Julius is, for argument's sake, 25-30...
Then:
Rainia and Cahir were born when Julius was 10-15 years old.
In turn, Julius would had to have been born when Stephen was 15-10 years old (Inverse of Julius' age).

But as Jennifer pointed out, Stephen wasn't that old, and I don't think Julius is either.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

You all forget the fact, that bunnies are abel to get children at a much lower age then humans...
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Sounds like human error to me. I mean, even when I'm just dealing with my own characters I catch snags here and there with the timeline.

Jen, love you, dear and you know that, but this seems like the sort of post that Patric would write, only he would write it with bitter rage, I suppose.

Time, especially with Illarion with the 3 or 4 years to 1 year ratio thingy which just causes trouble anyhow is and will be hokey. If we examined our own characters storylines under that magnifying glass, it would come out funny, and I can even think of examples, but I'll leave it at that.

Let the kiddies play. =)
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Aegohl wrote: Jen, love you, dear and you know that, but this seems like the sort of post that Patric would write, only he would write it with bitter rage, I suppose.
Why thank you.

I just personally think it's not fair for any player to alter someone else players background story completely how they feel like it.

There is nothing anyone can do anyway. And I made my own conclusion in this case. I don't expect anyone to change this, I just felt pointing out my sort of disappointment.

Edit: Also...
If we examined our own characters storylines under that magnifying glass.....
Yes. I have done some 'funny' things before. Maeve for example. But the difference is that it was the storyline of my own character.
And did not alter the background story of someone else char.
Thorwald

Post by Thorwald »

*grinst*

Manchmal ist es doch ganz gut kein Englisch zu können , so muß man sich nicht auch noch mit den Hintergrundgeschichten von Personen rumärgern .
Llama

Post by Llama »

You're forgetting one important thing...

Stephen is illarion's Chuck Norris.

'ell I bet he was born with hair!
Damien

Post by Damien »

Chuck Norris has at least some style. There are definitely things with much more style than Chuck Norris - but Rothmans usually don't fit into that category, nor should one compare them to any person with the main object of this post ! :twisted:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Just ban them all
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Look, their background story was built with paradox absorbing CRUMPLE ZONES!
Rainia Rothman

Post by Rainia Rothman »

Stephen's story has not been changed in anyway, I only agreed to play this because there would not be a problem with background stories. Anyway my character would be delighted if it turned out she wasn't a Rothman
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Lance Thunnigan wrote:I don't see what the BIIIG D333LZ0R ish.
Also: Maybe, just maybe there is a 'closed door' past in the Rothman family e.g. some major incest going on with the mother and julius, or even stephen, and she just kept poppin' those farger's out like no tomorrow???

Or...

Julius could just be some imposter that read about this Rothman chap in the Salkamar daily time's? And he decided to come to the isle as an imposter..Having people believe him, so he thought "Hey these jerk's believe me..So, I'll get some more imposter's to come to the land and help me unlawfully gain the Kallahorn land to me ownz0rz?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

It was always stated when Grant first arrived that Stephen had him when he was maybe, 12? That was his reason for coming to Gobaith. His father banished him from his land because he fucked at the age of 12. So, it is possible. And to dismiss all those things, Julius is a infact brother of Grant. No impostering going on. K?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Arien Edhel wrote:It's not allowed to change someones background.
Doesn't matter if he's still playing or not.
And to dismiss all those things, Julius is a infact brother of Grant. No impostering going on. K?
So now he had two (known) children instead of one [hundred]?
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Many have stated that the whole Julius and his kid(S) is bad rp...

But what really is bad rp is that a 12 year old boy used to be so highly respected and ^up^ in the world...BS
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

First off, Grant was adopted, therefore Julius was too if he was Grants twin. So he isn't technically a pure Rothman to begin with.

Also I'll let you know that he is not getting the Kallahorn land because he has the last name Rothman. Dan knows that Grant is adopted and doesn't care how much time Stephen or Grant put into building the building. He knows that he too spent time building the building and donated who knows how many boards and sawed who knows how many logs for the knighthood. So in my opinion as someone who was there at the time (which Julius was not), the building belongs to the Knighthood of Kallahorn, now the Knights of Gobaith.

Oh, and Rainia. No worries, the Marescots can adopt her ;)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Strange, cos when I looked at it it was all broken and a mess, Dant.

"I may not care about this land or use it.. but you're not having it either!"
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

No one said he couldn't have it. Just that him saying he shouldn't have it just because he is a Rothman. And it is all broken because of Lennier thinking it wasn't going to be used at all, so he destroyed it. Ironically we discovered the depots were removed at Amroths knighting and I never said anything. And I was planning to have the knighting in the shadow of the grand building to begin with. Oh well. Who keeps the building and why is an ig problem which I guess I shouldn't associate with the subject at hand.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Dom helped dig out the miners guild, does that mean I get to keep it?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Well. For the Stephen - Julius - Rainia & Cahir Relation there are a few possible explanations.

First of, the Rothmans are no humans, they are born and are instandly possible to reproduce. Dunno if that is anchored in the background of Illarion or not.

But there are other possibilities. Maybe the players, of the named characters, but Stephen, did not pay attention to math and/or biology in school and just don't know any better. But since I think that every humans knows such things, I hope that this is not true.

Another chance is, that Julius is much older then we all think, and got adopted by Stephen as well. His original family got killed when Stephen attacked Salkamar. Oh wait... that was Grant. Me misstake, sorry. So thats impossible too.

But maybe Julius adoped Rainia & Cahir. Well. Why not. If he gets no woman to get own childs, its pretty understandable. Just why a child would like to become a son of Julius is unclear to me. But well. Everyone shall do what he or she wants.

Then we have the sad possibility that some players made up any cool story of their character without giving a shit on all other things around. Would be bad roleplay. Who is a bad roleplayer? *looks to everyone*

Then its possible that the Rothmans in general have a genetical defect. They age much faster then everyone else. I guess some here don't have any problems with this ;-)

Thats all what currently comes up in my mind.
Athian

Post by Athian »

In the long run I don't think it really matters. Jen's omnipotent knowledge of another PC's story aside, i don't think this is really going to affect anyone to much. Well aside from the minor headache you might get trying to figure out the lineage of the Rothman family, but then again if your thinking that hard about the world off Illarion it may be time for a coffee break.