Lizards and water...

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ambrosine

Lizards and water...

Post by Ambrosine »

Can lizards swim? 'Cause it says they are able to breath water on the web site, but I can't get mine into the water... Are swimming lizards a myth?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

In roleplay they can, technically they can't
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

Well... I was just curious, 'cause I saw one walking on water a while back... I though all lizards could do it...
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Probably you've seen a GM-Char.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Must have been Jesus if he walked 'over' the water! :lol:

Edit: Sorry Arien, temptation overwhelmed me.
Last edited by abcfantasy on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Must really every thread be filled with spam? :roll:
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

Are there any plans to give lizards the ability to walk on water?

^_^ Cause that would be cool.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

no there are not. And it wouldn't be cool.

It would look crappy and the concept of our map would be trashed.

Nitram
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Re: Lizards and water...

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Ambrosine wrote:Can lizards swim? 'Cause it says they are able to breath water on the web site, but I can't get mine into the water... Are swimming lizards a myth?
Seriously, why not?

Couldn't you put a 'five tile' limit on their walk? Mages with 'teleportation' or even 'Teleport' scrolls can transport someone 8 tiles. I don't think 5 is too much to ask.

How?
The 'Bragon' quest left an area that was 'unwalkable' afterwards. My character tried and was 'bounced' back like a forcefield. Why not place a similar barrier five tiles from shore around Gobiath?

Even five tiles would be enough to enable lizards a few 'shortcuts' around Gobiath.

What do you think?
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Juniper Onyx wrote:
Ambrosine wrote:Can lizards swim? 'Cause it says they are able to breath water on the web site, but I can't get mine into the water... Are swimming lizards a myth?
Seriously, why not?

Couldn't you put a 'five tile' limit on their walk? Mages with 'teleportation' or even 'Teleport' scrolls can transport someone 8 tiles. I don't think 5 is too much to ask.

How?
The 'Bragon' quest left an area that was 'unwalkable' afterwards. My character tried and was 'bounced' back like a forcefield. Why not place a similar barrier five tiles from shore around Gobiath?

Even five tiles would be enough to enable lizards a few 'shortcuts' around Gobiath.

What do you think?
If can't separate out just lizards.... would be nice in a couple of areas for chars to be able to bath..... looks carefully making sure no one is around before taking off her armor and jumping in the water
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

I like the idea of a small shore... ^_^
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Seriously, why not?
Because it looks crappy and trashes the concept of our map. The water is meant to be a border. If lizards can just walk over it, they are able to reach areas they are not meant to reach. It would be dumb to allow them to walk over water because it causes additional work to place water defence systems at areas they are not meant to step in. Underwater mines and such...
Juniper Onyx wrote:Couldn't you put a 'five tile' limit on their walk?
High amount of needed calculation, additional server load, much time to code this and so on speaks against it.
Juniper Onyx wrote:Mages with 'teleportation' or even 'Teleport' scrolls can transport someone 8 tiles. I don't think 5 is too much to ask.
But they can't talk over unwalkable tiles. Thats the point.
Juniper Onyx wrote:How?
It would take years to place at every bloody tile a lizard is not allowed to step on a warp tile that warps you back. And even then the lizard could you a spell or a scroll to warp further into the see. So we need a impressive amount of those warp fields.
Juniper Onyx wrote:Even five tiles would be enough to enable lizards a few 'shortcuts' around Gobiath.
Lizards are the race with the most advantages. I guess its enougth with what they have.
Juniper Onyx wrote:What do you think?
Proposal rejected.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

Then perhaps someone should change the lizard description on the web page...

Maybe make it so they simply swim a lot and live on the shoreline and in swampy areas instead of saying that they live in underwater cities and breath water... It would be more accurate for gaming purposes...

I just think it's a bit misleading to say "fairies have wings and can fly" when they really just hover over the ground at the same level as the rest of us
and "lizards have developed the remarkable ability to breath under water" when they don't have the option to swim....

It's just a bunch of false advertisement...
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

Its cool though, I could easily imagine in the future designated areas that would be underwater. Walk across the bottom, same as usual tiles just insert a foggy blue weather effect and slowly drain life on chars that can't breath underwater.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

But it's so far in the future that it's deceptive to have that on the main site... Though, I guess if the concept of water breathing lizards was scrapped then so would the idea of shorelines and under water dungeons....
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

ROLEPLAY IT.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

>_< I never said we couldn't. Sory for the implication.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Shingo wrote:ROLEPLAY IT.

Oh I bet they didn't think about that already, genius.
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

They may have already thought about that, but...

I AM NOT A GENIUS!
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I am.

:twisted:
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

I think that a great idea to make this work would be to use the same picture or icon or w/e it is for fishing when the splash comes up to go in the water and when it ends and makes a ripple. It could be like that when the person is in the water and the ripple could appear on the next tile when moving. (I don't think any of you understood what I just said.)
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

instead of placing warps on each individual tile, just create a new type of tile, one that warps you off itself, and substitute bordering water tiles with them.

but the idea of swimming lizards is indeed breaking concept of the map as it currently is set without reworking everything to the core.
it would affect economy - everyone would make lizards as uber miners-transporter characters.

finally, if lizards can swim over things, soon players will ask: why can't humans and other races swim?
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

This was a time when people thought people were so heavy they would just sink. They were never taught to swim. However the lizards are a special race. lol. Also my infliction on that whole Race thing is Zero bit of it is true. It is just roleplay. I think the only way for swimming Lizards is for only fishing and they would just disappear right when the water splashes and itll say "#me jumps into the water and starts to hunt for fish" and you just walk to get out of the water. This is probably how we could make this work at it's best.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

i have a suggestion for you, SirOwnU.

why don't you just start to play the game, (after someone explained to you, how computers work)
and, after you once have mastered more, than just movement and fishing, you start thinking about modificating the game.