Open Discussion about Knights/Paladins/Guilds/Alignment

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Dantagon Marescot wrote: (no Crummie, you were still democatically choosen).
Yep. And if I can somehow get my way with things, then Crommie shall also be the last democratically elected governor.

:P
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Alex,

what you describe, is the other extreme. what i up there named number 3)

what we need is the in-between. not goody good, not bady bad. we need the arrogant lord, and his humble servant (who pees in the lords tea...)
we need the selfconcious crafters, who bend low, greeting a noble, but keep enough pride through their craft, to not feel humilated by the nobles.
we need the farmhands, that take off their caps in presence of a knight, but go hunting in the lord's private forest at night.
we need more witty chars, not more brutes.

and please, folks spare me the "but it's not the middleages, it's fantasy" argument.
each and every fantasy novell or fantasy cycle, i remember, has some heroes - i. e. "nobles" of a kind, and lots of "normal" people. (even if normal in a world means three legs and four arms)

the ten dollar question is, are we able, to recruit these "normal people" among players?
or should we fill up the world with a lot of NPC Background-population?
or what?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I don't think anyone even understands what a real Knighthood is. It was someone of Noble Power who owned land. The leader of the Knighthood itself would not even really take part in the battle himself, he would simply send his knights off while he got payed. Instead of pay, most Knights received land or estate for there valor in battle.

Also, normal people could become knights or whatnot but not at the ages which they do ig. Most boys were paged to lords and nobles at the early age of seven. Doing such small tasks of cleaning the barn to lifting hay. There is no true Knighthood ig anymore, the closest ever was in fact Kallahorn. The wrong perception by many is the Knights of the Round Table of King Arthur. No, it was more about training, small rules, and rewards.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

There are no true to life Knighthoods in Illarion. Not Kallahorn, not the Grey Rose, and expecially not the Knights of Gobaith. But hey, we are here to have fun, not prefectly recreate medival life. Sure it would be nice to have people resepect a knight in person and then laugh at them with a group behind their backs like would have happened.

Face it, this is Illarion. A real bandit would be warry of going into town if there was a price on his head. But face it, this is Illarion. Bandits walk into town and beat up the guards instead. Do you really expect to have a real knighthood?

And yes, I know I am not playing a true to life knight. I am playing a fantasy knight. That is how I like to play him, and that is how I will continue to play him. I am sure many may agree that they are playing fantasy characters and not true to life people. I mean, after all, various people in the knighthood went from commoner to knight or on their way to becoming a knight. This may have been possible in middle SCA period (dark ages) life, but when sumplimentery laws came into effect it was not possible. There is a case of where two knights needed a third knight to whitness their signing of a document, so they knighted some farmer and got introuble for it and had to pay a fine.

Also, a noble would not only send his knights out to battle, but he would send his pesants as well. The peasants would be sent out into the front lines to die with their pitch forks or shovels which would eventually evolve into pikes (hmm... new weapon consept for Illa) or spears. They would take what ever they had and go into battle for their lords and recive nothing for it (except for the later SCA period (C. E. 1500's) mercinaries).

Anyway, point is, Illarion isn't a history lesson, but it does contain various elements of European history and medival life. Don't expect it to be prefect, it is not ment to be prefect. And besides, if we were to make it perfect then people would complain about it being more like real life and not a game. We need a nice middle area which is hard to find and even more difficult to keep.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Wow, did you take that as a personal attack against your Knighthood? It wasn't meant to be.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Trust me, if I took something as a personal attack it wouldn't be as long and as polite. That was supposed to be an informative/debative post. I am a little bit more laid back than people may believe. Just because someone disagrees with the way the knighthood is run, doesn't mean I am going to rip their head off. And trust me, you will know if I am trying to rip your head off. ;)
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think the whole concept of a knight is moot in Illarion. Theres no fuedal system to parcel out land to knights and nobles, hell there isn't even any kings to do it!
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

When you spoke of commoner's and people willing to play them...I am a person who plays a commoner. I do what I need to, and I do envy those with more power then me. I don't go around trying to learn how to fight and become a knight, as I am a crafter, and a commoner. Will I know how to fight? To some extent, yes. If I had to fight a guard, would I win? Not unless I used a magical blade, and even then probably not.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Gro'bul wrote:I think the whole concept of a knight is moot in Illarion. Theres no fuedal system to parcel out land to knights and nobles, hell there isn't even any kings to do it!
..Wait, wait.. :wink:
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Olliver Cromwell going to crown himself?

what an interesting variation to history...
nmaguire

Re: Open Discussion about Knights/Paladins/Guilds/Alignment

Post by nmaguire »

HolyKnight wrote:Right now IG if you are a "fighter" type character and want to join a collective group of people you join the militia of one of the towns, join the TB town guard, perhaps join the Knights of Gobaith, other then that none of the guilds/factions that are geared toward skilled fighters AND RP ever stick around (havent RPed much with the Order of Grey Light but there is another option I guess).
Retlak wrote:
his saddens me because I see people like William, Grivijak (Grim), Avalyon, Dominic, Krall, and I suppose a couple more go out and do something together as a group and I am sure they have a blast!
Damn right we have a blast! you just mentioned the main (possibly only) treasure hunter group ig.
AlexRose wrote: I'm sorry, but it has to be said that it's Caelum ftw :P

We do the best stuff ever ;)
Maybe this is a little off the topic right now, but you don't NEED a guild to be included in a collective group of people. You mentioned Dom/Griv/Will/Ava/Krall going on treasure hunting. We are not a guild (some are in Caelum, but apart from that no), but we fight collectively very often, and have a lot of fun doing it! It is based around a few chars, and then other people join in and you have a very decent fighting team, which has never failed against a monster. Some of the stuff we have done, and had a lot of fun doing it:

-Fighting the dragon, with: Silas, Richard Martins, Dain, Kadiya, Grivijak, Dominic, Will.

-Fighting the demon necromancer on many different occasions with different teams of chars, including: Dom, Griv, Will, Kevin, Aenarion, Verdazar, Rugh

-Doing treasure maps with: Griv, Dom, Magnus, Kevin, Will

-Doing the dragon treasure map (drow) with Avalyon, Krall, Dom, Griv, Will

-Doing the Yr map (dragon/golem/necro) with Dom, Balthor, Will, Nalcaryos, Aerandi, and Kevin would have come but he got teleported away by accident :P

-Killing Siltaris with :?:, Aeridor, :?:, :?:

I eagerly await an accesible greater demon spawn ;) To me the whole fighting aspect has become a large part of illarion, because of all the team monsters and the fun you can have fighting them, and there is also the reward of items...
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

I have Grakir - he's a slave.

Playing the inferior is good fun.

:)
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Best part of the being a slave part, is you can undermine your master. Like if he asks you for food...put a smakll vial of poison in it, just for laughs.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

*Giggles and remembers*
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

I think the reason no one plays a little farmer or a commoner is because we all play one main character. Or at least most of us do. To most, everything revolves around their one character. This is bad in the sense that it rarely makes for a medieval feel. It is also good because not everyone is a drone and everyone has a goal of what they want to do (more or less).

Why don't people play paladin's or priests now?

People actually do, you just don't realize it :P.