Where have all the bad guys gone?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Executor,

as siltaris pointed out, it is the balance.

if one plays a crafter, producing and saving for the next advanced tool, and the char gets robbed frequently, so that sometimes not even the desired tool gets out of economic reach again, but even the beginner tools are gone, how much fun does the PO of the crafter will get out of it?
specially, if the char is robbed always by the same robbers, with the same premade emotes and speeches?
Executor

Post by Executor »

Yeah, thats true Korm, but as I pointed out, i've never even met a robber, And it is hardly a problem that skilled crafters have too little money, is it? And they would be the most likely target.

Noone ever tried to steal from any of my chars either.

I hope the POs of robbers have the decency not to steal from brand new crafters though.
Loralyn
Location: Follow me into this dark alley and i'll show you...

Post by Loralyn »

Why should it be a staple that all badguys have to be thieves. There are other ways to intimidate and strike up RP being a villain.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Executor wrote:i've never even met a robber
If every player meets a robber, then there would be way too many robbers in my opinion.
Executor wrote:I hope the POs of robbers have the decency not to steal from brand new crafters though.
Problem is, how would they now if they're brand new crafters?
Executor

Post by Executor »

Because thieves should be good rpers, and then the pos know who are skilled crafters. Also, there were a lot of robbers in the old times, and ive met a few in real life. Not that I think we need a lot more robbers thouigh, but a few would be good. Can anyone name an active robber? More people oposing to the TB society would be great. Cal these chars evil if you want to.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Loralyn wrote:Why should it be a staple that all badguys have to be thieves. There are other ways to intimidate and strike up RP being a villain.
Perhaps you should leave ideas for those who wish to play badguys as everyone goes with the cookie cutter thief and bandit idea.

@ Richard: Actually that is my point. When asked to leave people won't because they know that their characters level is much higher than others, or they can still run. Any life conserning bandit would hopefully have enough sence to not go into town because he could be caught and have his head or hand removed. And yet we have a ton of people who think that because they have a high skill, this is exempt from them because they can beat the guards. Truthfully, this isn't fun for us, constantly chasing people out of town only to either get clouded because they want to cause trouble or have them leave quietly and then see them five minutes later.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I am curious to know the names of all these black magic-temple-Moshran worshiping-orc-lich-killers. Really, I see none. Except orcs, since when are they evil in Illarion? How many people even play orcs anymore?
I take it the lack of answers was because you wanted to protect the character's identities, not because you can't name any. ;)

We *did* have a bandit "boom" a month or two ago in game. Most of them stopped playing bandits because it is simply not possible. The sad thing is that around 50% of players will take armor/weapons off or on while they are getting robbed. I wish that was a lie, really I do. "GOOD" GUYS!!! Step your Role Play up if you expect a bandit to. You aren't perfect either. Though, you can take the initiative.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

And it is hardly a problem that skilled crafters have too little money, is it? And they would be the most likely target.
I hope the POs of robbers have the decency not to steal from brand new crafters though.
those robbers i experienced with various chars, all had the "decency", mostly to attack weaker chars.
and, i think, at the moment you won't find many skilled crafters, who have not learned fighting too.
Noone ever tried to steal from any of my chars either.
either you are lucky, or you are not ingame at the "wrong hours"
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

no silas.

your mage may be evil, but not bad. and not played bad.
remember the stuck halfling in front of your house? :wink:

edit: and he is the most arrogant char i met... :twisted:
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

I've played many evil characters throughout my course of playing Illa.
Once people started making 372389 threads bitching about their characters getting robbed, or too many evil characters and all that stupid shit. I stopped.

Hell, I even created a damn Paladin. Talk about a change right?
But since you asked for it...

:twisted:
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

I honestly didnt read this topic, but I will just say.

If there are no bad characters anymore, its because a lot of people, see the bad guy's PLAYERS as enemies, complain about them, and try to smile them up. Also because a lot of players don't react well to being robbed because they think they are their own character, greatness.
Senrin der Ältere

Post by Senrin der Ältere »

Arameh wrote:I honestly didnt read this topic, but I will just say.

If there are no bad characters anymore, its because a lot of people, see the bad guy's PLAYERS as enemies, complain about them, and try to smile them up. Also because a lot of players don't react well to being robbed because they think they are their own character, greatness.
~signed
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Arameh, you remind me... Remember back a couple of years ago when we took Silverbrand Arameh, Jacob, and Gishmel. Well, we also had Alkuurg's backup. A shame such a feat is not possible anymore... Some of our characters were called heretics and the like after we did that and we were certainly called evil. I do recall lots of flaming our way OOC for that. As it goes in Illarion..... Good will kick Evil's ass, even if it uses the GMs to do so.
Lance Thunnigan

Lrmy wrote:Arameh, you remind me... Remember back a couple of years ago when we took Silverbrand Arameh, Jacob, and Gishmel. Well, we also had Alkuurg's backup. A shame such a feat is not possible anymore... Some of our characters were called heretics and the like after we did that and we were certainly called evil. I do recall lots of flaming our way OOC for that. As it goes in Illarion..... Good will kick Evil's ass, even if it uses the GMs to do so.
I kinda aided you guys. xD
In a very, small, way.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

why dont we just rez kill the bad guys and end this discussion
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Well the last "bad" guys I met, where this darandur gang..and i hated them, because they "changed" in seconds and didn't wanted to get catched.
As allready mentioned people see bad guys mostly as playing against them, I like to play along with good played bad guys, but if you get robbed or the other player refuses to get catched/holded/beaten down, its no fun either.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Because forums are for discussions. If you don't like it then don't read it.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:
Loralyn wrote:Why should it be a staple that all badguys have to be thieves. There are other ways to intimidate and strike up RP being a villain.
Perhaps you should leave ideas for those who wish to play badguys as everyone goes with the cookie cutter thief and bandit idea.

@ Richard: Actually that is my point. When asked to leave people won't because they know that their characters level is much higher than others, or they can still run. Any life conserning bandit would hopefully have enough sence to not go into town because he could be caught and have his head or hand removed. And yet we have a ton of people who think that because they have a high skill, this is exempt from them because they can beat the guards. Truthfully, this isn't fun for us, constantly chasing people out of town only to either get clouded because they want to cause trouble or have them leave quietly and then see them five minutes later.
But that is the thing. Even when I knew I could beat down one or two people I would leave usually if I was asked to. Occasioanlly I would not. You can not expect them to back down every single time, but for the most part if a bandit is confronted by a guard then they should leave or run away. No matter the level difference. How the hell else do oyu expect a thief to get any money if he stays on a path outside of town? Everyone just uses portals ot the teleport gates to go places. You never see people walk anywhere anymore. People who play a thief have to go into towns.
Lance Thunnigan

Irania wrote:Because forums are for discussions. If you don't like it then don't read it.
*Sexes teh iRania*

From the makers of iIlla and iPod.
Kundra

Post by Kundra »

I’ll tell you where the ‘bad’ guys have went, they pissed off because of all the ooc moaning that the ‘good’ guys where tired, and all upset how it interferes with ‘their’ rp when basically they are moaning because they live in some dreamland where the good guys should ALWAYS prevail and when they don’t catch them, or the ’bad’ guy gets the upper hand it instinctively gets branded as bad rp “Oh no, something is not right here! I am a guard therefore I should win WAAA!!!WAAA!!..
And also possibly because everyone wants to be a hero and step in when their trying to do their thing, b it a PO of child or old man... The PO good guys should get a grip and realise that illa is a multiplayer game and not everyone has to play by their stinking rules.. it should be even-spread.

As for the whole no bandits or thieves in town - what a load of crap…is it not possible that they can disguise themselves in robes or hoods? Well you would think so but it seems as though the guards have some sort of x-ray vision as they don’t care for attention to detail and go for them anyway. As far as I see it the PO good guys are poor rp’ers and no better than all of these one day ‘noob‘ thieves as you call them, because if they had any form of ability to actually step ‘into character’ in a middle-earth style surrounding with weapons so easily purchased and realising the dangers that will appose them instead of taking it so personally ooc , villains MAY get somewhere if anywhere. But because there’s so much of these remarkable/untouchable ’good’ guys that everyone seems to adore so much they give themselves false credit where it isn’t due.

Just look at the situation with the temple dissapearance.. ”WAA!!WAA!!!” *mother gm steps in* “Its ok, those baddy waddies wont hurt you anymore..” *No bad guys* “YEEEEYYY!!””

Edit: fear not as i 4-c the 'bad' guys coming back with avengance :twisted:
Last edited by Kundra on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

There's no side wronger than the other I think. There are badly played and roleplayed characters from both sides, and well roleplayed characters from both sides as well. At least, I have seen all.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Kundra wrote:I’ll tell you where the ‘bad’ guys have went, they pissed off because of all the ooc moaning that the ‘good’ guys where tired, and all upset how it interferes with ‘their’ rp when basically they are moaning because they live in some dreamland where the good guys should ALWAYS prevail and when they don’t catch them, or the ’bad’ guy gets the upper hand it instinctively gets branded as bad rp “Oh no, something is not right here! I am a guard therefore I should win WAAA!!!WAAA!!..
And also possibly because everyone wants to be a hero and step in when their trying to do their thing, b it a PO of child or old man... The PO good guys should get a grip and realise that illa is a multiplayer game and not everyone has to play by their stinking rules.. it should be even-spread.

As for the whole no bandits or thieves in town - what a load of crap…is it not possible that they can disguise themselves in robes or hoods? Well you would think so but it seems as though the guards have some sort of x-ray vision as they don’t care for attention to detail and go for them anyway. As far as I see it the PO good guys are poor rp’ers and no better than all of these one day ‘noob‘ thieves as you call them, because if they had any form of ability to actually step ‘into character’ in a middle-earth style surrounding with weapons so easily purchased and realising the dangers that will appose them instead of taking it so personally ooc , villains MAY get somewhere if anywhere. But because there’s so much of these remarkable/untouchable ’good’ guys that everyone seems to adore so much they give themselves false credit where it isn’t due.

Just look at the situation with the temple dissapearance.. ”WAA!!WAA!!!” *mother gm steps in* “Its ok, those baddy waddies wont hurt you anymore..” *No bad guys* “YEEEEYYY!!””

Edit: fear not as i 4-c the 'bad' guys coming back with avengance :twisted:
Agreed completely. Even more so with the last part ;)
Dantagon Marescot

I think people are confusing bandits and theives. Thieves are people who pick pocket and don't want to be caught. They are sneaky for the most part have to be in town. Sure it is hard to rp that when people don't want things stolen. Bandits use force. Can bandits use theif techniques, yes. But for the most part, bandits use force. Should they be able to hide under cloaks, yes. Should people follow the fact that they are underhoods and cloaks, yes, and I haven't seen many instances where they haven't. At the same time, I have not seen anyone peer through the mask and figure out who it is. If so, it is bad rp.

Kundra, you have missed the point though stated over and over again. It is those who go in 90 - 100% of the time uncloaked expecting not to be stoped, and if stopped they will 90 - 100% of the time cause trouble by not leaving or attacking because they know we can't cloud them, and will 100% of the time get away becuse they do not want to be caught. That doesn't seem like an even spread to me. Sounds rather one sided.

I think PO bad guys should get a grip and realize that Illa is a multiplayer game and not everyone has to play by their stinking rules.

P.S. Who the hell are you?
Irania

Post by Irania »

I think you should get a grip and cool off. There is no reason for you to be so worked up.
Dantagon Marescot

I'm not worked up, just stating a point which no one is listening too.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I think PO bad guys should get a grip and realize that Illa is a multiplayer game and not everyone has to play by their stinking rules.
I think PO good guys should get a grip and realize that Illa is a multiplayer game and not everyone has to play by their stinking rules.
Nothing is one sided.
Kundra

Post by Kundra »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:This really drains those of us who play good

Please help us enjoy the game as much as you do. Be nice to us once in a while. Sometimes we don't want to constantly chase a bandit out of town. Once in a while, leave when asked. Keep robbing to a minimum. Put a limit on it. You don't need to rob from every person in town when the guards aren't on. It only pisses people off. If you create a temple, please don't terrorize the isle and take it over in a day. Spread things out, or else you will have the isle and no one to play with.
As much as she/he hates me Dan has a point, and you gotta have a heart of stone not to feel sorry for the lil' guy... there are alot of 'no-brainer's' running around doing this, but not everyone, there's alot of them that rp it very well or atleast they try to..

1.Perhaps a little more imagination on players parts, hm?

2.Why take it upon yourself to do the job of protector if you dont like it?? Be a farmer or something..ya get me?
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

The only guard that is ever on is Richard. I mean Guards. Get an active guard and then if people only attack when no guards are on you can suspect something. But with almost no guards you can't make accusations like that.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

If a 'guard' logs in, walks around Troll's Bane and finds no role play, he/she will log out, or move out of the town to train.

We can't have these 'guards' to stand in the town for hours just...'guarding'.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

abcfantasy wrote:If a 'guard' logs in, walks around Troll's Bane and finds no role play, he/she will log out, or move out of the town to train.

We can't have these 'guards' to stand in the town for hours just...'guarding'.
It worked before in Illarion. If Troll's Bane can enlist invisible guards then I should be able ot enlist an invisible army to take them out. So I will do that and since my invisible army crashed your guards I can still walk in freely.