Magic Discussion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Then leave ut for the good rp'ers. those who have been here for years. magic gets no fun, wen everyone throw it around.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:Virtually impossible to do that, near everyone'd want to be an archmage.
Not necessarily, some may have other goals in mind. Maybe finding out those goals in an application process would be helpful and adjusting the classes to fit the goals?

Kaila Galathil
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kaila Galathil wrote:
Kevin Lightdot wrote:Virtually impossible to do that, near everyone'd want to be an archmage.
Not necessarily, some may have other goals in mind. Maybe finding out those goals in an application process would be helpful and adjusting the classes to fit the goals?

Kaila Galathil
Right. It's a well known fact that when something happens e.g. a new magic academy opens, everyone makes a mage char. If there was going to be archmage status, everyone would make an archmage char; it's just how it is.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

i am not speaking of ARCHMAGE as a title! foget about the name ok. I am speaking of a good mage. i think mages should be like they are in most phantasy universes. LOTR... The time wheel.. You name it.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

A mage should be like the PO of the mage wants him to be.....

Aye? :wink:
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Aye
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Kaila Galathil wrote:

Kaila Galathil
Nah, my best guess is that we'll simply get a lot of people who set their char only 1 goal: Become strong, and pwn.

Like Alex said.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

that is why one have gm,s and my point. Only let a few people get strong in magic.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

This system's fine.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Cuthalion wrote:that is why one have gm,s and my point. Only let a few people get strong in magic.
And all those who don't get it, because of gm intervention will be unhappy, or feel treated unfair, and the flames of the forum will reach to the heavens and kill all the bumblebees!

I remember talking with Nitram about this, he also wanted mages to be real strong, and not common, but not even mr binary could fix that.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

And people would suck up to the gms; and people they didn't like wouldn't be able to have archmage characters. ¬¬
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Magic is for lazy people.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

@Retlak: And that comes from our master summoner;)
I love mages, and I allways prefer to play them, but I would rather not get to play a mage, than seeing this get like for example Runescape. There every character is really the same, only the graphics makes the diference... This is an rpg, and overbalancing takes a little bit of the charm away in my opinion. At least it must be posible for the academy to take less students at a time? Or make the requirements to the rp higher? Or the studytime a lot longer?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Retlak wrote:Magic is for lazy people.
Says you who is too lazy to even use magic.
Atuan Silverheart

Post by Atuan Silverheart »

Lol... if mages would of been lazy then there wouldn't be any ;)
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Well what i meant was..

Mage: i cannot be bothered to walk across the room... *teleports*
Mage: i cannot be bothered to walkl to greenbriar.. *casts portal*
Mage: i cannot be bothered to pick up this item.. *casts spell*
Mage: i cannot be bothered to open this door.. *casts spell*
Atuan Silverheart

Mage: i cannot be bothered to pick up this item.. *casts spell*
Mage: i cannot be bothered to open this door.. *casts spell*
loooooool
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yes but to learn it in the first place it's really hard, so they work hard then get to relax.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Mage sits in the library reading a book

Mage: oh, i cannot be bothered to stand up and go to the toilet..
Make summons bucket below the chair
Atuan Silverheart

you forgot: mage magicly makes a hole into the chair :lol:

okay, enough joke, go back on topic :wink:
pharse

Post by pharse »

Atuan Silverheart wrote:you forgot: mage magicly makes a hole into the chair :lol:
Interesting thesis. Does this mean a mage could kill someone by pissing into his face?
Atuan Silverheart

if the piss is corrosive, then i guess so :P
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Or he just makes a hole in the person's face before pissing...whatever all of this makes no sense lets get back on topic
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Im going to make Aristeaus an Arch Mage
Atuan Silverheart

Enough with the jokes.

Okay here's my two cents: I hate the academy.. I hate the idea that all newbs and n00bs just get magic without having to work for it or being IG for long enough to know how things spin. I hate the fact this spoils all the fun.. My idea is to erase the academy and insted, have the GM's select a FEW good played mage chars, who wouldn't make you doubt that the players he's gonna teach, would end up pk'g n00bs. These teacher chars should be the only ones having the rune and they could teach when they want and whom they consider that is ready(after a period of apprentichip of at least 1-2 months), without any penalties or skill requirement whatsoever.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Atuan you stole the corrosive piss from me :( how could you?...
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Atuan Silverheart wrote:Enough with the jokes.

Okay here's my two cents: I hate the academy.. I hate the idea that all newbs and n00bs just get magic without having to work for it or being IG for long enough to know how things spin. I hate the fact this spoils all the fun.. My idea is to erase the academy and insted, have the GM's select a FEW good played mage chars, who wouldn't make you doubt that the players he's gonna teach, would end up pk'g n00bs. These teacher chars should be the only ones having the rune and they could teach when they want and whom they consider that is ready(after a period of apprentichip of at least 1-2 months), without any penalties or skill requirement whatsoever.
And what gm do you think has plenty of time to do so?
I dunno but I don't really think this is an option.
I like the academy, but your statements are true.
There where quite a lot of newbies who still didn't really get the game around, for instance one time some mage apprentice wrote #me wants to die... like right now. Such thing are simply crap.
Nothing against the newbies, but they should first learn a bit more of the game before becoming a mage.
The actual requirements on that part should be higher.
And well, the story is kinda lame since it's absolutely neutral.
If I'd be able to choose there'd be 2 or so 'academies' a general one, for general people, one for more 'evil' people(obviously smaller, and more demanding on parts.)
But there'd be to little teachers, but other than that the academy is fine.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Aristeaus wrote:Im going to make Aristeaus an Arch Mage
oh shizzy
Atuan Silverheart

Dunno, the idea of personal teachers is more motivating.. Makes you wanna earn the right as an apprentice, no just write some random stuff and... boom, welcome in the academy, here's your magic!
I've said this before, so i'll say it now also: Once i've seen one that hadn't got the slightest idea of what OOC and IC is, and he was casting illusions all arround TB... in my oppinion, the accademy had lost it's credibility from that point.

Edit: please stay on topic and stop posting crap.. Thank you
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

The problem with having a few teachers is they will only chose people they like ig or ooc.