Magic Discussion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Korwin wrote:
I would love garett to get runes, he had runes in the old client, tried to get ruens in the new client and just sort of became like Orren padick and so ive lost interest in him :/
You lost interest in him a month after the first academy opened.

What really seems profoundly wrong is what's happened to characters like Azuros. While Azuros has been continually attempting to get magic since the opening of the first magic academy (Almost an even 12 months now) he's had almost no luck. However, he wasn't scrapped simply because he didn't become a mage, he continued on as an active character, existing without being the mage that he was intended to be. That the character continues on without magic is a testament to a strength of character not present in alot of others.
Pff, Azuros is a pwnzor mage, he turned Fooser back into a lizard
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Fooser wrote:
Korwin wrote:
I would love garett to get runes, he had runes in the old client, tried to get ruens in the new client and just sort of became like Orren padick and so ive lost interest in him :/
You lost interest in him a month after the first academy opened.

What really seems profoundly wrong is what's happened to characters like Azuros. While Azuros has been continually attempting to get magic since the opening of the first magic academy (Almost an even 12 months now) he's had almost no luck. However, he wasn't scrapped simply because he didn't become a mage, he continued on as an active character, existing without being the mage that he was intended to be. That the character continues on without magic is a testament to a strength of character not present in alot of others.
Pff, Azuros is a pwnzor mage, he turned Fooser back into a lizard
Yeah, he should have turned him into an elf instead though :P
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Um...i thought Azuros is a druid o_O.
Azuros Tjime
Leader of the Druids of the Forest
Medico/Druid
'Well....sorry...but a druid cant be a mage the same time. either mage, or druid, but not both
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Long story, you can ask me on msn if you want, when the 15 people talking to me at once calm down >.>
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:Um...i thought Azuros is a druid o_O.
Azuros Tjime
Leader of the Druids of the Forest
Medico/Druid
'Well....sorry...but a druid cant be a mage the same time. either mage, or druid, but not both
*begins breathing heavily*

Hold me back people before I rip Patric's throat out.
Caldrion Sternenglanz

Post by Caldrion Sternenglanz »

but i think he is right: technically you can make magic OR druidsm.

how can this be managed?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

He is still able to roleplay a hybrid, even if he is not technically able to play one.
Caldrion Sternenglanz

and how will he explain it, when druidsm is technically able, and he isnt able to manage this?

its just curriusity....

because i want to become a dridsm-warrir-mage with the powerfull prays!
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

Caldrion Sternenglanz wrote:and how will he explain it, when druidsm is technically able, and he isnt able to manage this?

its just curriusity....

Crappy sarcasm isn't appreciated, especially when it's in bad grammar.
Siegfried Schtauffen
Location: Fending off noobxorxz for 100th top poster position.

Post by Siegfried Schtauffen »

Gildon wrote:
Caldrion Sternenglanz wrote:and how will he explain it, when druidsm is technically able, and he isnt able to manage this?

its just curriusity....

Crappy sarcasm isn't appreciated, especially when it's in bad grammar.
Uh. Why are you judging a person's post based on his grammar? I believe he is German, anyway.
Caldrion Sternenglanz

ehem, well i am a in germany living english speaking spanish guy :wink:
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Stephen is a mage trapped inside a warrior's body.

But really, I can imagine Azuros can still roleplay what he does as a druid (I believe mainly healing and such) while still using runes for magick.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Garett Gwenour wrote:Stephen is a mage trapped inside a warrior's body.

But really, I can imagine Azuros can still roleplay what he does as a druid (I believe mainly healing and such) while still using runes for magick.
Thank you Sam, and yes Azuros is one of the Druids of the Forest. he, however, is focused on the medico side of druidism, not the potion side, he doesn't make potions or anything. But since this is not the first time that I've received complaints from people saying "Az can't be both a druid and a mage!", I will not even be continuing his magic studies (which he did start as a mage character who got interested in the druid ways).

Regardless, I see no problem with someone roleplaying a character who studies both the arcana and the druid ways, especially when its not done for a technical advantage.
Samantha Meryadeles

A druid and a mage are two completly different things. That are different ways of life and view of the world.

A druid is nature bond. He beliefs in peace and harmony, the wellbeing of nature and health. You may call them hippys ;). a druid cares for plants, herblore, and the knowledge about bodys and their function to heal them

A mage is more rational and logic. they belief in science, knowledge and studys. the building plan of the world and the magic powers known. you may say, they are more aloof to themes like being in forrests, save the rain forest, and so on. a mage would more likely dissect a creature to get knowledge about its functions and build, than having it as a pet ;).

while druids more likely wander through nature, care for it and speak with animals meeting, a mage prefers sitting in a library and reading about it, and concentrating on his studies. sitting in a forrest more likely frightenes a mage, if it is not an elf ;)

But of course, i think, Azuros would be a very good candidate for druid magic. so if you are more patient you may one day learn that form of magic with fits more to a druid.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Strangely I disagree with you patric.
Samantha Meryadeles

Sure, since you are the excpert for professions and their structure, right? Your chars are mostly those doing everything, even if it doesnt fit their role. so dont disagree with those who focus their roleplay on a char role fitting way, and not being "jack of all trades" like your chars.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I think I know how to play the characters I have thought up Patty.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

So, now, not only are you telling us that we must play either or.

You are telling us HOW we must play those characters.

So this means I can't have a good and caring mage who holds an affinity with nature. Or I can't play a hardened and rational druid who protects the forest with renveage and might.

Well, basically.

Shut the smile up Patric.

Play YOUR characters how YOU want. And let us do the same with ours. We neither need nor desire you to tell us what our characters can and cannot be, and how they must act.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:Sure, since you are the excpert for professions and their structure, right? Your chars are mostly those doing everything, even if it doesnt fit their role. so dont disagree with those who focus their roleplay on a char role fitting way, and not being "jack of all trades" like your chars.
Sure, and Jack's of all trades don't exist in rl either.

Why wouldn't one exist?
It's impossible to get good if you want to do everything.
You'd need boosted stats, as well as a shitload of time.

Stop telling us how our characters should be.
And how would you know a characters true role?
You can't, since you're not the character, nor it's po.

You can't always know how other chars think.

Not all chars have to be typical, for if it where so it'd be boring.
Just as Nalzie mentioned.

Why would a druid have to be kind and caring?
A true druid, yes.
But there is no such thing as a completely 100% true druid.
I could care for plants, trees and animals, but I don't have to be kind and caring.
The word druid basicly means something like 'those who know nature, know how to use it, know how to and will defend nature.'
In any way.

And still, I could call myself a druid, wether I am or not, I could join a golf club, wether I golf or not. And being accepted into such a club would be in the hands of the owner of that club, who can in turn also be different from your ideal.

A knight doesn't always have to be a goodie good guy.
A girl doesn't always have to be girlish.
Samantha Meryadeles

*coughs* robber baron *coughs*

Thats "Raubritter" in german ;)
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Magic is somthing you are born being able to use... It has nothing to do with how you regard life. Try telling a lawier he is not dull enough... Somone can have a talent, no matter what his philosphy is. If Az is born with the gift of magic, an decides he likes plants, that is ok, right? This is really unnescasary, read Kevins post carefully, he puts it very well.
Patric, you play Meryadeles very well, she is allways arogant, and cares mostly about herself. This is how she allways behaves, and it might be the typical mage. Please, keep playing her like that, and keep telling us how you want us to play our chars, but do not expect us to listen. If we are suposed to play our chars like the average guy all the time, then take your wonderchild, noble knows everything char, and *******....
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Silas, the medivasl knight where everything but good guys...
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Silas Farron wrote:
A knight doesn't always have to be a goodie good guy.
Yes, he has. Inform yourself about the medieval knights, kid...
Well, IMHO he can be scummy, morally flexible and spiteful (Like an "misguided templar" or somesuch) but he cannot be too chaotic in his doings. He should have a set of rules he obeys (For instance, that he is reluctant to give his word, but if he gives it, he will keep it unless there is a "honourable" way of breaking it) and he must strive to keep at least the image of being honourable..
Otherwise he becomes just another random swordsman, and not a knight.

I hope this is not too incoherent. :wink:
PS. Just my opinion. Feel free to play your characters in the manner that you wish. :D
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

i agree, he must follow some code, ase a knight is part of some comunity, I think. But this code can be "evil" I think.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Knighthoods were force-sold in medieval Britain to random rich people because the king wanted money. Think it was Henry VIII but don't trust me on that cos it was like 3 years ago I did this.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Was he the only king who had knighfts? i thought they existed many places... like on malta...
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

three years ago you sold knighthoods???

so why didnt you offer me one?
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Did an essay probably...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Korm Kormsen wrote:three years ago you sold knighthoods???

so why didnt you offer me one?
We covered it in history ;)
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

I disagree. Anyone who was a noble warrior, was a knight, I think. And most where not very noble...