Suggestion:Thieving Skill

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

swish1 wrote:
Galvin wrote:That wouldn't stop new players from doing it, the would do it, then do the RuneScape thing of transfer it to another acount as fast as possible...
New idea, only selected people can redeem that skill?
It wont work, then people will whine about why other can get the skill, saying stuff lyke GM abuse and stuff ...

Doesn't work
Solumn

Post by Solumn »

I would like to see theif skill is implemented. After playing for while, I think it's not possible.

Like combat, most of players take time to write #me action and wait for few seconds for others to read them to respond. But there are always some people type and ready to hit "enter", as soon as text appear, the weapon strike too. It makes no different a person RP or not.

I trusted all of you experience this. Thief is no different from this, as soon as a person realize (a text appear), theif got the items as well. Well, truly avoid powergaming is not making skill. Once it's made, there is no way to avoid but reduce them. So we can RP thievery as we used to without the actually skill.

(Not a suggestion but continue with this thread, I like the theif wear no armor idea.)
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Look, I have now tried to play a thief, and fact is that one 1 day(real time) I have only made 10 cp... It is not working at the moment. If you try to steal, people just "catch" you, and some even log out... A skill is the only thing that I can think of, that would make it work.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:and i gave you back your items, or doesnt even taking them. so what? your post is meaningless compared to the topic we spoken about. its just bitching.

and you are exaggerating again. what you do very often.
Items mean little, I would love to have Stephens maxed out skills back please. What you did is worse then what your accusing the Po of the bandits of doing because they at least risked dieing, you never did. So be quiet now Patric, of course you wont, anyone can show you are being an idiot and using wrong information but you keep argueing anyways because your dumb and crazy.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Summerising PrObLeMs
=-------------------------

1) How will you get the skill in the first place?
2) How will you train the skill up without
a) Powergaming
b) Stealing from a person who knows what you're doing
c) Risking getting an a** kicking each tyme?
3) How will others be given an immunity to you?
b) How will they train it?
4) Will everyone be given this skill?
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Stephen, samantha just killed your character after you did something wrong. for example killing her best friend. so stop whining. i lost too my skills, so just shut up. dont moan that your criminal char got killed because he attacked a weak woman because of a damn key.

And by the way, i better dont tzell you how many know that you are a powergamer abusing every possibility in the game for your own. but maybe you know that already
Last edited by Samantha Meryadeles on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

*pulls out two flame shields, covering both sides of his body as he crouches down in the middle of the crossfire, flames everywhere*
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

trying to find some answers

1) taught by responsible players who were given the skills
2) training on puppets with bells for example - but how to ensure no powergaming? the skillcap actually limits this...
3) the higher the perception the higher the chance not to be a victim
4) only to players who roleplay as it is now for magic

edit:
@everyone who's not on topic
get the smile out this thread and pm
i actually wrote smile, yes
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I love the way when this Sam dies down on bashing Patric, the other Sam takes up the slack.

Go Sam!
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:Stephen, samantha just killed your character after you did something wrong. for example killing her best friend. so stop whining. i lost too my skills, so just shut up. dont moan that your criminal char got killed because he attacked a weak woman because of a damn key.

And by the way, i better dont tzell you how many know that you are a powergamer abusing every possibility in the game for your own. but maybe you know that already
God your so pathetic, even out of character you are argueing your characters arguement. WTF is wrong with you? Have the lines of the game and reality crossed over and you cannot look at this objectively? Stephen is far from being a criminal, his actions not his words to Samantha, show that. And Siltaris was far from being weak when she helped Galthran cloud Stephen, so wtf is wrong with you?

And yes, please tell me how I am abusing powergaming in every possible way please.

edit to Sam - its how we roll.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Solumn wrote:I would like to see theif skill is implemented. After playing for while, I think it's not possible.

Like combat, most of players take time to write #me action and wait for few seconds for others to read them to respond. But there are always some people type and ready to hit "enter", as soon as text appear, the weapon strike too. It makes no different a person RP or not.

I trusted all of you experience this. Thief is no different from this, as soon as a person realize (a text appear), theif got the items as well. Well, truly avoid powergaming is not making skill. Once it's made, there is no way to avoid but reduce them. So we can RP thievery as we used to without the actually skill.

(Not a suggestion but continue with this thread, I like the theif wear no armor idea.)
What so you can powergame that to yellow skill and then get all the best items?
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Could Garet and Samantha please stop spaming?
1) Maybe if the skill was given to a couple of skilled roleplayers? People would have to learn from then, like magic. (Maybe one should have to aply to get the skill as wel. I think it should be that way with magic as well, as it is obviously stronger than "swords" It is soon more mages around than anything else)
2)Powergaming will allways be a problem, but so it is with any skill. I think the only way to rise the skill should be to actually steal, and there should always be a small chance to get caught (depending on how dificult it is to steal the item, and your thieving skill. And the avarenes of the target...(Use some atribute for avarenes, I dunno which ones exists really)
bThe person should know if you succed with the thieving skill, and act therafter.
c That is what makes the profession fun right?;) No risk no fun...
3)Well, it should of course be a chance of failing, like with everything else.
This chance grows as the avarenes of your target, and the dificulty of the item you try to steal. And decreases with your thieving skill. Of course some items should be imposible to steal.
b)By stealing. I thieves guild would let the members practise stealing on the techers.(Only experienced roleplayers or thieves if you want, should be acepted in such a guild, or the cover will get blown. The best would be if everyone had to find a teacher though)
4 No..
The way I see it would be the problem that you soon will get famous... Any ideas on how to solve this? Maybe a disguise skill as well;-)
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

For my tuppence worth.
Thieving skill is lame, it just means master thiefs could go around stealing from everyone without ever getting caught. And it means you could too easily steal a noob's already measily starter pack.
And secondly I can see nothing wrong with it now, and if it ain't broke.........
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Master thives would also have a chance to get caught, and he would have to wathch out not to get famous. Of course he could steal a lot, at least from noobs, but a good fighter could slay the noobs as well right? He doesnt however...
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

But to slay someone, you must have an rp reason for it, so you should never get into a situation where you kill a complete noob (unless they aere ctrl click noob), whereas thieving, the only rp reason you need is that you are a thief, so it is harder to tell if they are noob or not.
swish1

Post by swish1 »

Alright..
Idea:

First of all people steal by shift clicking which opens up a box with things that is in other's belt. Better thieving skill more you see and more you can attempt to steal. Like Mining this should be a randomization. This skill should be easy to improve but at start you will fail a lot. When stealing the server itself says.

[someone]"Tried to steal[obj]from[usr]and failed!"
Or
[someone]"Silently sneaks[objfrom[usr]!"
Then RP
There should be different messages of course.

Third this skill is only granted to people who continously RP stealing the right way and eventually they will get this skill.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

The main problem I anticipate, wouldn't the PO notice something being taken from their inventory? Because they would do so, they would have to rp anyway, so the whole point of the skill is pointless.
swish1

Post by swish1 »

They are supposed too..
Or...
I suppose,its a bad idea but..
What if someone holds 10 copper pieces and someone who is really good at thieving can get 10 coppers but the PO being stolen from still has 10 coppers? What if the item duplicates when stolen?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Third this skill is only granted to people who continously RP stealing the right way and eventually they will get this skill.
So you except a GM to look at everyone playing and say 'this one rps well'

very idealist... wont work

be more realistic
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

This thing also should depand on the intelligence, perception and agility of the thief and perception of the victim. The victim should be possible to see, if a "bad" thief watchs his belt (before he starts the rob) by have his face only 2 inchs in distance to the belt, because he is nearly eyeless.
Last edited by Lennier on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

swish1 wrote:I suppose,its a bad idea but..
What if someone holds 10 copper pieces and someone who is really good at thieving can get 10 coppers but the PO being stolen from still has 10 coppers? What if the item duplicates when stolen?
Yes, you are right. It is an awful idea. :wink: But seriously, no.
swish1

Post by swish1 »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:

be more realistic

No I mean who constantly Role Plays a thief for three-six months....
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

swish1 wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:

be more realistic
No I mean who constantly Role Plays a thief for three-six months....
But if they are a good thief, then they won't be known to anyone, or how long they have stole for.
Llama

Post by Llama »

If a person RPs a thief for that long, no-one will no who it is.

And its not fair on others. So if i RP being a cleric of XXXX, when cleric magic comes up, the GMs will push my char for good rp.

Not fair...
Solumn

Post by Solumn »

Alex:
I have no idea what your question about. (Maybe someone else can explain to me, I only have 6 years old brain :cry: )

All:
Come on, RP theif for three month get a skill? I have played carpenter for 3 months now, can I get to design my own staff?

Who do you choose to be good RP players? Just because someone is new, they don't get what old players get. That's what I consider unfair.

Price cap is not working neither, how does it reduce powergaming? I can powergame into L-50 in one day then work on othe skills next day.

I think we agree theft can be easily abused. Why don't we have theif quest? Planed by GM, like a guild thing. A group of thieves come to town to recuit in uncertain date. Nay.. Just kidding. They probably got choped down before they can enter the town.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Okay, now to write some clear things.

Something like a engine supported thieving is all in all possible i think, if someone writes it.

The learning if this skill, would only be possible while training with others. (Thievs guild). The rate of learning would need to be, really high, because you have a low amount of actions.
Of cause you can train with normal victims too. But they won't be happy about this, i think. ;)

The problem while scripting is, the balancing.

Should the player be able to choose what he steals (really difficult) or not?

There could be a small chooing possibility. Like Money - small item - huge item. The bigger the item, the bigger the chance that the victim will be aware, that someone is taking something from him.

Then there is the RP problem, with such a skill. This skill would be only a engine support for RP. If the peoples start to steal without any RP, everyone will get pissed.

Nitram
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

In my eyes, this skill can work, but only if everyone respects the rules of rp, like Nitram said, stealing without rp won't be fun.
And I think I can honestly say such will not likely happen anytime soon.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I fear those abuse (stealing without RP) would happen. If there is the possibility to do it, some will allways do it ;)
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

And you could fight without RP with a ctrl+click fighting system too! {/sarcasm}

Seriously though... That would be enforced the same way everything is. Through the comminuty itself, and if that isn't enough, by the intercession of a GM.

I do think though, that if it was created, you should only be able to steal from the belt or the bag, not both, and NOT something the person is wearing.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Perhaps the solution would be, that the players would have to prove themselves through roleplay to be responsible enough to be given such abilities before the characters would be admitted into the actual guild of thieves?