Name Check

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Garett Gwenour

Name Check

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Proposal:
Sam! says:
honestly, in my opinion, the name check is ALL that is needed to seperate people who want to play this game from those who do not want to play.
Sam! says:
It is the ones that want to play this game, even if they dont understand the mechanics or how to roleplay, that we want to have around.
Sam! says:
Because if a person takes the time to think of a name and wait maybe an hour or two to play, that shows they are willing to learn, in my eyes.
Sam! says:
agree/disagree?

(edit)
Grobby says:
I think that, if they don't read the name rules they haven't read the game rules either

Nitram has agreed he can do something like this. Do you the community of illarion feel this should be done, and if so, who would help, we mainly need german speakers to help with names.

thanks
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I love the name rules.

I used to be an illarionnoobretardmofo but now my rp's reasonably acceptable!

I'd help with the name rules.
krazytoe

Post by krazytoe »

I agree
Llama

Post by Llama »

I think the name check was a good idea, however, i'd limit it to the first character in an account. Otherwise it gets frustrating...
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

If this were done I would of course be willing to help, but I think the opposite would make more sense.

What I mean is, the name check filtered people who have been here since the game's inception just as much as complete newbies. The account test, however, only applied to newcomers.

*I* think the name check should stay off, but a new account test with multiple choice (which can be automatically checked) and/or short-answer questions, should be instated.

Just my two cents.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I like Nir's idea better

Basically a multiple choice question, somethign that can be done automatically...

Also (to sort out the hyper-n00bs from the not-so-stupid) i suggest:

Do you Prefer Roleplaying or Pvp?

:P I want to know how many fall for that one ;)
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

better would be rp or pvp
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I cannot say that a multiple choice questionaire would do anything else then the what we have now.

Also I didn't add it, but once you pass the name check once you don't need to do it ever again. It is assumed you know what is an accepted name in Illarion and what isn't.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

They'd keep trying till they passed; and then when they found the right answer they'd make a new account and use it.
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose12345678910 wrote:They'd keep trying till they passed; and then when they found the right answer they'd make a new account and use it.
Please input your email
-
Please wait until its verified
-
You have been banned n00bzorz! haha

And then blocks the email ;)
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

i think that the story thingy was the best idea to separate rp's from "runescape" fans :D
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

The story thing was removed because it did nothing for the community of illarion. We still got bad roleplayers except the size of illarion never grew. It wont be put back in place (As martin has said ALOT of times).
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

I meant more along the lines of checking to see if they read the rules, rather than test their quality of RP. RP can be learned.

ie:

How do you input actions in Illarion?
a) /me
b) #me
c) #action
d) /do

or:
Please write an appropriate name for an elf in Illarion:
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Oh well, I believe Martin is making a tutorial island for that at this point, it will also show the mechanics of the game, how to use items, how to equip things, open depots etc. The basics. And I think that would cover it alot better then multiple choice where they will need to ask more questions, but I dunno.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Garett Gwenour wrote:Oh well, I believe Martin is making a tutorial island for that at this point, it will also show the mechanics of the game, how to use items, how to equip things, open depots etc. The basics. And I think that would cover it alot better then multiple choice where they will need to ask more questions, but I dunno.

Well, then that 'tutorial' island would need to be made, I seriously doubt it will ever happen
Poots

Post by Poots »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
AlexRose12345678910 wrote:They'd keep trying till they passed; and then when they found the right answer they'd make a new account and use it.
Please input your email
-
-

That's the trick I always fell for in other games. Made Poots mad.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Please input your email
-
-

I have 17 email adresses which don't sound like each other at all.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

I would like to check names. I am online a lot. Playing and working. It would be fun. Especially getting to see some of the funny names people come up with.

P.S. If I had 5 copper for every time Jen put in her two cents I would be rich! Just kidding Jen! :lol: :wink:
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

how about gruesome for an orc?

something tell me that not a good name
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

It isnt :)
Poots

Post by Poots »

I don't see what's wrong with the idea as long as you give the responsibility to some of the more trustworthy players *cough me cough*, and that shouldn't be too hard because who's gonna let names pass for fun? That's just stupid. And if ever were to become a problem (yeah right) maybe some way of seeing who approved them?
Xonogor

Post by Xonogor »

Wasnt sure where to put this, but I saw someone online named after a cheese.. funny.. but.. really..

Elves

* Azuros
* Cheddar
* Quinnalin Puideraline
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

Xonogor wrote:Wasnt sure where to put this, but I saw someone online named after a cheese.. funny.. but.. really..

Elves

* Azuros
* Cheddar
* Quinnalin Puideraline
Spoken to and taken care of. I think he will make a fine addition to the community; he learned fast. :twisted:
Zzzapharrr-Tizzziki

Post by Zzzapharrr-Tizzziki »

Elves

* Amroth Surion
* Duchan
* Quinnalin Puideraline
* Thariel Feuersturm
* You Scared Bia Bia

You Scared Bia Bia.. huh..
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Perspective from a newer person totally unfamiliar with RP:

I spent some time reading the rules, but was so unfamilar to RP in general didn't remember them all. I also spent time researching my name.

Besides the name check, require all first accounts to be human. This will also help to learn the other races IG and RP for those that need it.

Also if the name is turned down, email them the quote from the rules, this may give them an opportunity to study more and reapply but may also get rid of the spam?
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

No, i dislike that idea. My first three characters were dwarf, lizard anf fairy, and I never had any problems.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

if i think about all the "good" orks and "bad" elves we got, and lizzards who serve in any army the island has....
witty, openminded dwarves, strong halflings - yes, it really would be a good idea, if the first char had to be human.

korm

ps: even smithing lizzards seem idiotic to me. waterbreathing beings, that volunteer to work with fire..........
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Korm Kormsen wrote:if i think about all the "good" orks and "bad" elves we got, and lizzards who serve in any army the island has....
witty, openminded dwarves, strong halflings - yes, it really would be a good idea, if the first char had to be human.

korm

ps: even smithing lizzards seem idiotic to me. waterbreathing beings, that volunteer to work with fire..........
One or two good orcs aren't bad.
Bad elves are needed very much so. The likes of Dravish.
Lizards are fighters.
There have always been witty open minded dwarves who have been well played.
A halfling's got to make a living.
Possibly the best smith that's ever been in illarion was Salathe Kankas and he was played amazingly well; and Eliza sells such things.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

alex,

read this: http://illarion.org/illarion/races/us_humans.php

edit: (all of it)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Korm Kormsen wrote:alex,

read this: http://illarion.org/illarion/races/us_humans.php

edit: (all of it)
Not all of the races should stay perfectly to that otherwise it makes the game boring.

Anyway there's points to raise such as Moshran was an elf (As far as I've been informed) and look at him!