situation of player deaths

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hu'greu

situation of player deaths

Post by Hu'greu »

Now im a big supporter that you should lose some skill when you die, but what happens when you are constantly killed. It must be very dissappoting that you spend months training your character to only have him knocked back down to weak character within a weeks time. Characters that play nonfighter suffer from this too, maybe even worse.

Blacksmithing take a lot of time with berely any skill gain. I was at once was going to try and make him a purely craftperson, but with the pently system it is impossible. He did not go out looking for troble, and more often ran from his share of fights.

Within the past 3 weeks though he has remined at the same skill level. Spend over 1000 sheets of metal only to have same level. The time spent to gain this amount of ore and smithed into sheets is well over 9 hours. The only reason he wasnt able to advance though is due to the fact he was gosted 3 times.

one being killed by another player with a good RP reason. Two of them though were in one day by an npc wolf that was place in the town. Now death is a bad thing, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. The skill lost doesnt really help RP. It just allows for powerful players to knock down anyone that might become a threat to them.

Now to the main point of me writting is this is that there should be a skill lost but over time you should gain back 30 percent of your skill lost. This is for the healing of the character. Or perhaps over time all the skill should be gained back, but if the character keeps getting killed the lost should be perment. The time for the skill to come back should be IG time so that the player just doent log in to stay out of danger of perment skill lost.

This way an "assanation" of power characters can be done to knock their power down so that way so they are not a threat any more.

What do yall think about this idea?
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Well, for the part where you tell its hardly possible to have a character without fighting and danger, you are right. Currently, with the temple having TONS of members, including pushed ones and bandits, agaisnt an absent town guard and a knighthood which is currently weak, the town is not safe. Also that the members of the temple are the one attacking, so it is much easier, they can get in group and attack a moment where there are not many defenders in the town, and bingo, raid successful. Maybe when this quest finishes (if it does), Trollsbane can have a town guard (which is pretty impossible right now since they get killed by temple members), and then characters that do not want to have part in conflicts will be able to, just wanted to point that out.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Surely, if they regain skill, they will be almost as good, so will still be a threat to good players, who will cloud them again for being a threat
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

Or you could always go to a peaceful town that isn't being raided every ten minutes...
::whistles innocently::
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

hey now stop trying to convert people...that is not right lol
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

ok what about mine then everwhere else has monsters on the way to the mines, there is no way that a smith can dig his own stuff. and currently its not econimal to buy ore, there is no way i can afford iron and coal ore and smith them into sellable good to players.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Ask a fighter character to clear the way
Thurbert~

Post by Thurbert~ »

Or just limit skill loss to fighting and magery skills and make the non-combat skills unaffected.
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Thurbert~ wrote:Or just limit skill loss to fighting and magery skills and make the non-combat skills unaffected.
I LOVE this idea.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Ku 'Agor wrote:
Thurbert~ wrote:Or just limit skill loss to fighting and magery skills and make the non-combat skills unaffected.
I LOVE this idea.
No thats crap, non fighters and non mages will not have any fear in death.
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

I don't think that we should set a different loss.

Death etc depends on your playing style. If you are a trader/craftsman, you shouldn't walk around without any protection and if you do, you should be very careful. If you can't fight and provoke others, you should have fighters around you all the time.

I also think that it's very hard for a fighter to lose his equipment on death, a craftsman still got his skill to craft another/make money fast - but a fighter without equipment is nothing. Mages... well, mages are another category.

The system now works pretty fine for me.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

You propose workarounds for a freaking BUG

Thats complete nonsense and waste of time.

We are working on the solving of this bug. As soon as this is done, you don't die again and again. You die once when you die and don't loose skill while you are dead.

Nitram
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I think rez killing should be made legal !!111
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Maybe when you are clouded you can choose to preserve one skill entirely.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

The effects of death were discussed many times, e.g. here, here, here and here.

At the moment I think dying is quite dangerous because it takes a lot of skill and with the actual system it's not very easy to get back to your pre-death level.
The positive thing is that killings happen not so often anymore, but on the other hand are there some situation where a fight should happen but the participants seem not to risk one because of skill-loss... (Or they will push a fight when someone is sure to win) :roll:

So, I would lower the negative effect a bit, maye just reset the internal experience for some skills and not reduce gained levels.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Uhm, I'm to tired to read all this right now but last time I died(Yesterday)... I don't think I lost any skill.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Join Grant and you can live in the Rothman castle.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Join Nalzaxx and you can live in the Temple.

Which actually exists...
Poots

Post by Poots »

NirAntae wrote:Or you could always go to a peaceful town that isn't being raided every ten minutes...
::whistles innocently::
Good point and well made.

Join Nalzaxx and you can live in the Temple.

Which actually exists...

He's got ya there.
:wink:
Solumn

Post by Solumn »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:Uhm, I'm to tired to read all this right now but last time I died(Yesterday)... I don't think I lost any skill.
It depends on your skill level. To certain point, you wil lose no further.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Retlak has been clouded 2 times.

Lost 0 skill, so i think ahehehehee
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

How do you know if youve lost skill or not >.> <.<
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Looking at some colours i guess.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Solumn wrote:
Kevin Lightdot wrote:Uhm, I'm to tired to read all this right now but last time I died(Yesterday)... I don't think I lost any skill.
It depends on your skill level. To certain point, you wil lose no further.
Uhm, I have three bright green skills, a few teal, a few light blue and a few dark blue.
I don't think I lost anything, for as far as I can see by the colours.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

well my bitching has stop, didnt know it was a bug.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think skill loss or item loss needs to be terminated. One or the other is big enough punishment imo.
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

it wouldnt be such a huge punishment without the bugs. the skill and item loss is usually much smaller
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yeah and when the bug's fixed you should restore our skill ;)

(GIMME MY YELLOW ELVEN SKILL BACK!!!)
(GIMME GIMME GIMME!)
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Skill loss has always been heavily debated and contested. Yet it has always been with us. I think we should wait untill the problems are ironed out before we suggest any changes.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Nalzaxx wrote:Skill loss has always been heavily debated and contested. Yet it has always been with us. I think we should wait untill the problems are ironed out before we suggest any changes.
Item loss wasn't always though, used to be you died you lost nothing, now you will loose everything if the cross isn't more than 30 seconds away.