Learning system enabled or disabled?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Retlak wrote:It seems an extremely low intelligence makes learning 99.9% impossible.
Wheras a high intelligence is the complete opposite.
I am barely getting skillups myself. Or none lately, to be honest.
Neela Rabenfeder

Post by Neela Rabenfeder »

confusing is that some skills get up and others not. have the problem with herb lore. i am not bad in herb lore, but i find not much and i got no level up since a long time...
archery and farming works as normal and i get my level ups. it's a bit strange :P
Briggi Blumenkind

Post by Briggi Blumenkind »

Yeah, i have the same problem with Briggi in herb lore. It's really strange and a little bit frustrating.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Magic for one isn't getting any skillups. Or atleast not pervestigatio.
CJ

Post by CJ »

My carpentry has gone nowhere for a long...long time. But I did get killed once and lose some skill. Have'nt gained that back either.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

can we get a GM response on this matter?
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

At my Fightskill doesn't nothing more absolutely , although I have fought against many mummies and skeletons the last days.

I can't believe it that's right ?!
Jalen Noel

Post by Jalen Noel »

I haven't leveled once in Smithing despite countless ores smelted and helmets made.
Silo

Post by Silo »

I'm currently really pissed at the system. I get two swirlies, then I can't concentrate, then I urgently need to rest...anyone else notice?...stupid question, a better question would be, "can the gm's find a way to fix this, or is it supposed to be that way?"
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

actually, i got like 5 swirlies tonight without me capping....for parry though and it was all in a matter of about 30 minutes....
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Yep.

In some instances I just cap out at high speed; in others I get the "swirlies" galore and can go on with it for a while. (Talking about fighting skills exclusively, here.)

Something's messed up, or, has a logic difficult to comprehend.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

It depends on what you're fighting and how good you are, really.

For instance, with Maggie:

if I fight a pig with swords, I will 'try' to learn slashing weapons each time I make a strike. If I use my staff, I learn nothing.

If I'm fighting a mummy with swords, I will 'try' to learn slashing with each of my attacks but with my staff nothing, and with each of its attacks I 'try' to learn dodge and tactics.

If I'm fighting a skeleton, I will 'try' to learn either slashing or concussion on my attacks, and on its attacks I will try to learn dodge, parry, and tactics.

These differences are based on how high my level is in each of these skills, and on how hard the enemy is.

Each attempt to learn adds to your Mental Capacity pool. After a certain amount of MC points, you can't learn anything else (skillcap). You can see that what you're fighting can vastly affect how quickly you cap.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

yes but what about tailoring? i think i made hundreds of leather shoes and it bearly appeared as a skill, and it's futile to talk about reading books... i get the "skill cap" after reading a few pages and don't get any level ups
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:yes but what about tailoring? i think i made hundreds of leather shoes and it bearly appeared as a skill, and it's futile to talk about reading books... i get the "skill cap" after reading a few pages and don't get any level ups
All skills go to the same MC pool. So you can't, for instance, skillcap in tailoring and then go try to read and expect to get far.

And a lot of things take a *long* time to learn. I've been doing my best to convince the 'powers that be' that some things are still just way too hard, but everyone has their own ideas on how things 'should be'. ;)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The system is active but still needs balancing.

We are working on it.

Nitram
Avalyon el'Hattarr

thank you for your answer :wink:
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

NirAntae wrote:It depends on what you're fighting and how good you are, really.

For instance, with Maggie:

if I fight a pig with swords, I will 'try' to learn slashing weapons each time I make a strike. If I use my staff, I learn nothing.

If I'm fighting a mummy with swords, I will 'try' to learn slashing with each of my attacks but with my staff nothing, and with each of its attacks I 'try' to learn dodge and tactics.

If I'm fighting a skeleton, I will 'try' to learn either slashing or concussion on my attacks, and on its attacks I will try to learn dodge, parry, and tactics.

These differences are based on how high my level is in each of these skills, and on how hard the enemy is.

Each attempt to learn adds to your Mental Capacity pool. After a certain amount of MC points, you can't learn anything else (skillcap). You can see that what you're fighting can vastly affect how quickly you cap.
It's always been that way to some extent...the tougher the monsters you fight, the quicker you gain skills and the higher they get. Fighting monsters that are too tough run you the risk of getting killed, while fighting pigs all the time will take too long and limit your skill because the damned things aren't even attacking back at you.

Nitram, although it's still in development, is there a way to summarize how or at least why the skill-ups act the way they do? Lots of blue swirlies sometimes or no swirlies and capped, for example?