Magic Discussion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Damien

Post by Damien »

Everything is in a lot of development. There are MUCH more features which our tech people will do, not only in magical stuff. It can happen that a few things are done with a bit haste because someone thinks it's actually a good idea - resulting in something like the little accident before.
Those things are usually not thought to be and stay implemented, but its quite a fast way to test such stuff and get some feedback quick.
I must admit i really got puzzled by this one. Usually, the whole staff hears about such changes somewhere before. :shock:
Poots

Post by Poots »

Caldrion Sternenglanz wrote:perhaps we must make an Spellring, which broke by using. and it would be one of the first items a goldsmith make after the normal rings, so that every mage want to buy it. and a goldsmith can make his money. Such ring would cost 3 to 10 silvers...
:D

yes it would help goldsmiths, but somewhere in the middle of the rings, not after your first ring. that's pretty easy to get to.

and for the record, mages are pretty rich usually, and it would help with the millions of mages problem, and mages being to powerful.
Parfu Zurbag

Post by Parfu Zurbag »

sorry but most mages are not rich...Most concentrate only on magic. Thats how it should be , they should not have a side job as a carpendar or a smith...their lives should be devoted to study and meditation (pure Rp)
Poots

Post by Poots »

but then to be a mage all you need is the stats (easily aquired) and skill (not easy but when you have no other job or anything, you manage to find the time) and if it's that easy to be a mage, and the mae is the most popular character to be, troll's Bane turns into hogwarts.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Cassy the #me that you made for when the mage abruptly stops with casting is broken. It does "Misjilah Mehialho: me abruptly stops with casting" instead of "Misjilah Mehialho abruptly stops with casting". Also abruptly is spelled appruptly ingame.
Last edited by Misjbar on Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

That is what I said hun. It is spelled appruptly ingame. ;)
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

:P

The way you put it, implies otherwise.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Happy now?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Very.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Did Magic get gimped big time? I can no longer cast my big food spells, and when I use my normal one I summon exactly one fruit? And my spells fail an awfully lot now, even though I have green pervestigatio.

Perhaps orcs in general are gimped in magic though, I do not know.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I can barely cast the earthwall spell anymore, and I can no longer cast ORL KAH QWAN. *shrugs* I guess we need more skill to make it stronger/available?
Thariel Feuersturm

Post by Thariel Feuersturm »

Xalliar is right. The Mage must be strong, because they only handles with magic. They are spezialist.

In every movie you can see, that the mage can only be punished by a horde of warriors, and that at first a mage is weak and later powerfull.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Did I also mention I summon one measly piece of fruit if I use ORL KAH? Per chance sometimes two. Look at me! I summoned fruit! Fear me!
Thariel Feuersturm

Post by Thariel Feuersturm »

and i am able to summon three. ROOOAAAAR!
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Xalliar wrote:Baaaah... I mean... wtf? I though it was balanced now, but mages are just CRAP -.-
Why should a mighty mage, who can control fire, ice and stuff be equal strong - or even weaker, like it is atm - as a warrior how just swings a weapon?
So because you can use magic you want to be more powerfull than all the classes whom cant?

Its a game, and at the end of the day a game is about being balanced, where all classes are as powerfull as each other etc etc.

Now back to being a house maid
Blaithin Ravenhart

Post by Blaithin Ravenhart »

So because you can use magic you want to be more powerfull than all the classes whom cant?

Its a game, and at the end of the day a game is about being balanced, where all classes are as powerfull as each other etc etc.

But unlike all the other classes, there are no magic-stones anymore where every (sorry) dumbass can learn magic.

Everyone can grab a sword and go training at the mummies. For becoming a mage you need rp. You have to wait a hell of time to get any runes. And you have to spend a lot of time into getting some skill so you can actually do something properly.

I see no problem in the point that someone is 'stronger' in some ways.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

It shouldnt mean that a character will be stronger, just different. Otherwise the system is completly unbalanced and pointless.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

So to be a mage you have to play Illarion for near a year and get within a special niche of people?

No sorry i wont agree with this and never will.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

*sighs*

Hey Guys -- this is a Game -- Aye ???
Calm down -- it runs just badly enough here :(
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

I know its a game dear. And this isnt anything personal everyone reading my comments knows this ;] But its my opinion nothing more
Blaithin Ravenhart

The problem is, that currently a mage can't even take down one warrior properly.
Let us try it ingame later, Darren. I have an average mage-char, you have an average fighter.

A mage has already quite enough disadvantages:

Low consitution
No metal armour
No casting spells when you get attacked
A certain amount of time before you can cast a spell after the last one.

I think we should really go ingame to see how good (or not) it works currently.

The point is:
The Devs who are working on the magic system should discuss together about what exactly they think a mage should be able to.
Should a mage be able to kill a mummy alone? Should a mage be able to take a warrior down alone? etc.
And *then* to compare it with the current situation ingame and trying to adjust it to the concept.

PS: Aleytys ;) It's fine, we are just discussing. Darren knows I love him.
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

For me it looks like they made the spells either weaker at all, or made it so that you need now a much higher skill to reach the spells effect maximum.

But I really wish the developers would tell us what they changed, and not just do it and don't lose a word about it. Telling nothing is not very player friendly
*sighs*

Samantha can kill an animal with 4-5 fireballs. But she needs just two ra kel qwan or hept kel qwan. She also can cast them every time.

Her pervestigatio spells work like ever. So I belief they set the needed skill higher. You need now a higher skill to master a spell, or reach its maximum at effect. or to be able to cast it with more success
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

Hate to go against you Arist dear...

But honestly. If you're going to make it as difficult as it is to become a mage, pouring months and months of realtime into practicing and learning and RP, yes, the char *should* end up rather 'overpowered'. Either make the resulting chars very strong (not wipe-out-the-whole-game strong, but definitely take-care-of-two-or-three-warriors strong); or, make it easier to learn. One of the two. Honestly.
Samantha Meryadeles

To be honest...it is too hard.

I lost the fun at teaching others in the last time. Not just because there were so many who came annoyingly every hour to Samantha, no...also because i can't teach them more than a little food spell to summon cherrys, and a healing spell for minor wounds. i lost the fun at teaching because i can't teach much yet really. And even those spells i can teach just a single mage currently. Sure, there is theoretic stuff. there is the roleplay, and much informations to teach...but honestly, you lose quick the fun at it when you don't know when you can teach that mage more...and there is not endless informations and theory to teach...one day you come at the point you want to teach the runes...and than you can't. because you have not that damn high skills for it

There must be an other way. I would like to see Nitrams idea ingame. The runestones to be back. but you can't learn from them without an other mage who has the teaching rune to help you. This way the magic teachers like misjilah, damien, djironnyma, etc. CAN teach a schoolar magic after good and wonderfull roleplay without the need to stay hours ingame and powergame their skills up.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

This is where i agree with Sam. Back btw ;)

The system is biased in to many ways. This isnt attack against any of the currant mages but i would like to ask who honestly learnt thier skills without a hint of OOC influence or knowledge, and this should not be the case.

And my area of agreeing with Sam, the currant mages cant teach others that well as all of thier time would be thrown into teaching, which is not fair upon these characters.
Samantha Meryadeles

Sorry for the double post, buuut:

They made magic not that harder...no...after testing and thinking i realized that the magic resistance through attributes works again. That is why it seems harder. until now there was to resistance to lower magic spell effects...now there is again.

you need more spells for a pig because its resistance works now and protects it.

Well...thats what i think
Blaithin Ravenhart

but i would like to ask who honestly learnt thier skills without a hint of OOC influence or knowledge

what exactly do you mean by that?
The skills themselve or do you mean the runes?

and what do you mean with 'ooc influence/knowledge'?
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I have an idea for magic. Perhaps make the windblow spell a bit more imposing. Most people around town do not care shit if they are blown back a tiny bit, and pretend they can just walk on right after being blown away a few meters. I do not know, normal people would care.
Athian

Post by Athian »

just got back to see all the fun changes. all i have to say is the middle class seems to have been killed off. somehow i saw this coming. to everyone who wanted to rp any type of magical character not an uber mage my apologies. i'm going to look around through the system a bit more, but i'm guessing that it for us in the long run. :roll:

@Silas: my commotio is definatly higher then yours. :wink: