suggestion:Arena NPC

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Athian

suggestion:Arena NPC

Post by Athian »

basically an npc would stand in the median area of the arena. like on the lava (or a little patch of land could be made) you would use certain keywords to be warped into the arena and the npc summons a weak monster for you to fight. upon defeating the monster you can leave the arena or hand over the monsters dropped item as a sacrifice to move up in the ranks. the Arena doors would have to remain closed to keep the stronger monsters from getting out so perhaps there would be some way of warping the ghosts out of the arena if someone loses. simply by whispering keywords to the npc.

don't know how good an idea it is but it might be something to fine tune and think on
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

And what sense and background would that have?
Athian

Post by Athian »

why are you trying to overcomplicate things? :roll:
Boremier

Post by Boremier »

I think it sounds like a fun idea, but I don't think it will happen. Unless set as a competition (somehow) each month.

Its just a thought.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Wasn't the arena sold?
If so, its up to the owner to capture monsters and let characters fight against them. ;)
Athian

Post by Athian »

it's no less and no more worse then a backgroundless storyless elf standing in a forest teaching elven language skills for local flora.

and it wouldn't be summoning super demons or what not. but theres plenty of times when people are bored. inbetweeen quests and what not. and while traveling to crypts or through forests is fun it's not always the most practical.

as i said just an idea.
Boremier

Post by Boremier »

Hmmm capturing monsters? I like the sound of that :wink: It could then be used to train the town guard/Knighthood etc. Any thoughts?

Again just a thought :wink:
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

mages could summon the monsters. Like a Wesp, hihi
Athian

Post by Athian »

lol i'd love to see someone dragging one trolls or one ogre all the way to the arena. having it get slain then having to walk all the way back to find another. thats a bit much. which is why i suggested npc
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

The idea itself is not bad.
The NPC could have some sort of stock that defines what monster and how many are aviable to fight.
However I would suggest you need to buy these fights.

Otherwise I would just see it as a cheap way to train without the need to travel to spawns and wait for respawns.

On the other hand,
I strongly dislike every NPC that is present in any player owned structure, and we already have enough of them for my taste.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I like the idea, n00bs can even test what monsters they can kill without having to travel far and face multiple enemies of that type.
Athian

Post by Athian »

you means enough of them in trollsbane :wink:

maybe paying would be a good way. i like that idea.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Might be fun. Most things you described are possible from a technical point of view, but require some work. I doubt our technical staff has the time to do this, but from my point of view, this sounds so simple that anyone who is willingly to learn Lua can do this.

The most easy way to offer an exit for ghosts is a teleporter monsters cannot use.
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

i really like the idea of such an arena. Maybe i think about some scripts for this.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i like this idea. Would be great for the arena =D

You pay X amount of coins, to fight a monster, or you could pay even more coins to fight a series of monsters (like a gauntlet) you cant use potions, and you cant rest, and if you beat the whole gauntlet you get a decent prize. And if you die you just get warped out of the arena.

What would also be great is if you could talk to this npc, and have him moderate a duel, you pay X coins and you and your opponent are warped into the arena, then you two fight, and when someones health hits 0 your warped out and alive with just a tiny sliver of health. This would make duels alot better, since you can fight to the very end, instead of watch your health and push yourself back.

I dont know if this is possible, but when you enter the duel, you and your opponents armor are taken away and your both given equal weapons and armor. Beforehand you can choose if you want slash/conc/punc/fists, and then your both put in with leather armor. So that your completely equal and only your skills matter. And then when the duel finishes your armor is returned

Even better would be that when you duel, each oppenent puts in an amount of money of your liking, lets say 100 coins each, and the winner gets the losers money after the duel. So the winner gets a 100 coin profit. Makes duels more interesting
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Na, do not request too many complicated details. "Can't use potions", "can't rest", "if you die" are no common lua functions.

I have thought about a hack how to make NPCs and monsters communicate - to avoid mass spawning of monsters in the arena. Just let the monster set a data value of an item to 1 "onDeath" that indicates that the arena is free of monsters. When the NPC spawns a monster, he checks for this data value and after he spawned another monster, he sets the data value back to 0 or whatever.

With the same onDeath function you can realize attack waves of monsters, rewards, opening of doors, raising a counter of arena wins and so on.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Nitram already scripted a NPC that monitores the monster population of one of my (not implemented) dungeons.
Once one of his creatures dies, he will spawn a new one to a random point.
The spawned monster itself is also random, with a few restriction dependant on the spawn location.

In short words, what Estralis said is possible and already tested. ;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

RP background

A portal between this realm and Chergas opened... but during a quest; the players beat back the attackers, and the mages closed the portal...

Yet, the portal is still there, and it can allow living people to walk it.. and out freely

Ah you get the idea
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Na, do not request too many complicated details. "Can't use potions", "can't rest", "if you die" are no common lua functions.
Shurely but i like such suggestions because i can think of things which are not implemented yet, and this things are CURRENTLY not implemented functions ;) from where should i get my ideas if not from here?
Last edited by Cassandra Fjurin on Wed May 17, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markous

Post by Markous »

I like the idea a lot!

It brings a lot of fun into the game.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Markous wrote:I like the idea a lot!

It brings a lot of fun into the game.
yea i thought it would make things more fun as well. plus we've got such an awesome looking arena, it's a shame thats it's never in use
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

that sound spretty good, could be a nice easy way to train and the like, without having to trek to monster spawns and such.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Ive read about half of this fyi:

although I don't think it's too complicated to say no resting/potions and stuff, it does sound hard to implement.It would be nice to have, but if not, that's fine.

getting free weapons and armour, meh. sounds like a way to get free weapons and armour (duh). it would have to cost more to fight if you got this. and there would have to be no possible way someone could just run off with the armour. it would be taken away at the end of the duel (or what's left of it).

capturing monsters: a simple no.

something like this would work

I want to buy one wolf

or I want to buy 2 scorpians.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I want to sell 1 demon
You want to sell a demon? I give you 10 copper coins
Theon

Post by Theon »

Wouldn't it be easier to just have more events at the arena? With tournaments, leagues and so on.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

It's the spoilsports turn. ;)

I actually don't like the idea of an npc in the arena. I mean, why do have a multiplayer game at all?

But since so many people seem eager about it, following request to the one who does the scripting:

Please make sure that the monsters either drop nothing or that the char has to pay more than the things dropped are worth.

PS:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:I want to sell 1 demon
Come back when you have that!

hehe.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Cawdor wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just have more events at the arena? With tournaments, leagues and so on.

Sure if players actually do them. there's plenty of things going on that you have no idea of that take up the time of the people making quests. so in essence actually it wouldn't be easier to have more events because that requires a gm character far to often.

but if it's player run then sure there's no problem. go start one since your so eager :wink:
Theon

Post by Theon »

I'm not eager at all, just putting a point forward. Wouldn't arenas be better used once in a while, rather than all the time?
Daashi

Post by Daashi »

*jumps up and down excitedly*

please, please, please, can we have this! please!!!

I am sick of dying against the simpliest of creatures, ie Flies. Being able to build up my character's defensive skills, near a resurrection point would be fantastic.

I spent ages looking for a resurrection point last time I had a good wander and nearly lost half of my skill with common.

so please, please, please, I would really, really, really like this.