curiosity

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

falco1029

curiosity

Post by falco1029 »

Ive hearde that the magic system has been implemented by giving specific characters runes, which many agreed is the worst and least fair idea. First of all, I want to know how those people were chosen, and second of all, why did you guys choose this way? Dont think Im being petty, because even if my char was given runes I would have still posted this, or at least questioned whoever gave the runes to me. And I dont want to hear any noobish things like "aw baby's sad he wasn't chosen" or "obviously you dont rp a good mage", or the like.
Necrontyr_arising
Location: The Last Samurai is a brilliant film...."I knew a bob once, god he was as ugly as a mule"

Post by Necrontyr_arising »

I think its the GMs friends who have been playing the longest, for a few years so its not that unfair
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Necrontyr_arising wrote:I think its the GMs friends who have been playing the longest, for a few years so its not that unfair
Gm's friends isnt very fair to me. And p;aying the longest is very general, and hard to figure out too
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Xalliar wrote:I don't know, but I guessi t was following system:

-Would it be logical that this char has Runes from one day to the other? ( Dito: a former experienced mageo r a youngling who learns it the first time? )

-Is this char able to use Magic controlled?

-Is this char RPed well enough to count as a skilled mage from his appearance?

I trust into the staff that they have chosen fair and well :)
Considering -x- is one of those who got magic and is rp'd as a warlock, and got his before most prior mages, id disagree

x'd for the sake of privacy, though not many chars fit that description
Necrontyr_arising
Location: The Last Samurai is a brilliant film...."I knew a bob once, god he was as ugly as a mule"

Post by Necrontyr_arising »

theres a few teachers in the mage academy gobiath that dont deserve the runes because they dont play illarion often enough or constantly forget lessons
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

@xalliar:True, but Im sure that there are mages who are rp'd just as well who didnt get runes, and should have before him.
Markous

Post by Markous »

Those who got the runes have been chosen wisely. There's nothing to complain about.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Not only is Mr. X played very well, but Mr. X is also a helpful part of the community. Last night Mr. X helped me with a newb who was having so much trouble that most of the community would have scared her away. So before you go judging Mr X, I reccomend you take a look at yourself.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Aegohl wrote:Not only is Mr. X played very well, but Mr. X is also a helpful part of the community. Last night Mr. X helped me with a newb who was having so much trouble that most of the community would have scared her away. So before you go judging Mr X, I reccomend you take a look at yourself.
Im never asked for help, as not many people actually know im ym character and know id be good at solving problems. And are you suggesting I cant rp, or just saying im not helpful? And I was not judging X, I was saying a warlock shouldnt be getting runes first. I agree that X is very well played and probably a good person elsewise.
Markous

Post by Markous »

Markous wrote:Those who got the runes have been chosen wisely. There's nothing to complain about.
Please close this topic.
Last edited by Markous on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Xalliar wrote:Sorry, but... No runes for Warlocks?
What a bullshit... Would be like "No Bows for Archers before they are yellow in Parry" or something o.0
I said they shouldnt have them first. Read all of what I've typed next time.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Markous wrote:
Markous wrote:Those who got the runes have been chosen wisely. There's nothing to complain about.
Please close this topic.
i saw it the first time, and considering this is one opinion, i didnt really care
Markous

Post by Markous »

It is no opinion, it is a fact, for I have picked some of them, too.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Markous wrote:It is no opinion, it is a fact, for I have picked some of them, too.
sort of arrogant, arent we?
Meileih Nilionvash

Post by Meileih Nilionvash »

falco1029 wrote:
Markous wrote:It is no opinion, it is a fact, for I have picked some of them, too.
sort of arrogant, arent we?
The pot blames the kettle, sort of say. It was already anticipated that people would "whine" like this. Some find it fair, some do not. Deal with it, over time it will even out anyhow.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

At the end of the day the server is privately owned and this is no democracy, friends. =)
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

whatever, I dont know why I started this, Ive never once been listened to anyway. Just close it
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

I assume it has been done this way because it is the fastest and easiest method. Requiring no new coding, etc. Any method would displease someone. So popularity probably wasnt an issue. Just something easy-ish.
They are also still in the process of giving out the runes I think.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Hmm, I suppose, yeah i probably over-reacted., i wadnt considering coding time done for free, and whatnot, as well as gm schedules for other methods; I was in a bad mood when i came home, Im sorry to all whom I insulted, I rethought this over. Someone please delete this thread.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

Time to wedge in a post!

At first, I was a bit confused about the selection of Mr. 'X' too, seeing as the character isn't the sort I'd see as a teacher. However, I soon realized that, as a teacher, they could teach characters whom were otherwise left behind by the system. Contrary to what I had feared, the GMs have done an excellent job distributing magic to a diverse assortment of characters.

I think this system was, contrary to what you say, the most favoured by the player base. It seems to have been chosen over the others because they're so convoluted. It would take a greater amount of time than the Magic Academy to run some of them.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

i said i was sorry, now shoo ;)
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

GG for the budy system
Ellaron

Post by Ellaron »

Falco; Praise GM's and friends, never make "bad" posts and you too will be smiled upon. As they pointed out, their game, their rules, you don't like it you no play, capiche? You got to play the game to play the game.
Ghorn

Post by Ghorn »

A big part was also good roleplay, trusted playerbase and a character who is fitting to such a burden.

all chosen characters are roleplayed experienced enough. the players roleplayed them good enough as characters who have experience with magic and teaching it.

so easy it is.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

@falco: I know you already said you conceeded the argument, but I just want to say that I don't think the counter-justification is necessarily just "they do whatever they want". Personally, I don't know jack about "X" and I feel just as much contempt for those bad decisions made by staff that were based on arrogance and closed-minded stubbornness, but I don't think this is necessarily the case behind the distribution system.

It sounds like your argument boiled down to basically that a warlock got his magic before some other mages. But who ever said that a character's supposed "class" is the only factor that goes into the selection process? There's likely a lot of criteria that goes into the selection process, even though you may not know exactly how that criteria is measured. But you don't know how the criteria is measured for GM selection either, so how come nobody ever complains about what critera goes into selecting GMs who will become super-powerful? Yet, at the same time people only ask for justification for the distribution of magic, which is just a comparatively small power?

Now I don't know if in reality the magic selection process is being done on a critera that is most beneficial to Illarion, or if maybe the staff is just handing out runes to some ass licking buddies. But if people don't trust the selection process for magic, then why aren't those people even more skeptical about the selection process for GMs? It seems to me that it's just because people tend to be unable to think oustide of the proverbial box that assumes magic used to be available for all so therefore selective distribution now is somehow an injustice.
Athian

Post by Athian »

hello Mister X here. being that i play practically the only warlock in the game as of right now. not hard to guess. personally i really don't care who has runes first or what not the point was to get magic out there it may take time but believe me it's going to spread. there is no point in fighting about it at this point.

also to my own defense. i do play a warlock character he is not a mage. he is not a fighter. but his own vocation. the only reason i was happy to have magic first was the fact that IF anyonw else wanted to play a warlock then i would be able to teach them. mages can't teach others something they don't know about after all. being that right now Ath appears to be the only one of his kind i mildy sure he's the only one qaulifed to teach others that particular craft. i've put alot of time behind his story and building up creative methods, histories and philosphies for Warlocks to learn, more then ive seen anyone else do for this particular one.

this topic however was brought up because the character Ules sent a letter to the Character Athian to join said group. Athian who does not join groups at the drop of the hat frankly told Character Ules he was already set with learning the magic and wuld study on his own, not wanting to join an organization that wanted to keep knowledge secret. then in the OOC world PO Ules was like WTF. why can't it be me,thus here our problem is. please close this topic, i'm starting to get seriously annoyed.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Moreover, "Mr. X" has always roleplayed that his magic is different than other forms and he refused to teach people who wanted to learn a more scholarly version of magic, in the past. So should "Mr. X" learn from the sort of people he would refuse to teach?

In the interest of variety, "Mr. X," who's warlock rp has outlived most of the careers of the gm staff and dev staff, is a perfect candidate.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Athian wrote: this topic however was brought up because the character Ules sent a letter to the Character Athian to join said group. Athian who does not join groups at the drop of the hat frankly told Character Ules he was already set with learning the magic and wuld study on his own, not wanting to join an organization that wanted to keep knowledge secret. then in the OOC world PO Ules was like WTF. why can't it be me,thus here our problem is. please close this topic, i'm starting to get seriously annoyed.
No, you've blown that out of proportion, though i see how your midn works. You see two events with a similar subject and assume it's the worst case scenario, or in this case, that I decided to be petty. No, it was actually that i first found out that they had done the distribution when athian told Ules he had magic, and then i went and saw other posts pertaining to this, and got a bit perturbed that what had seemed to be voiced as the least popular choice had been chosen. But as I said before, I conceeded my argument as i really thought rashly at first, and already had some anger built up in me (HORRIBLE day at school today :(). But please, dont assume the worst of me like that. And you also shouldnt be sharing the content of pms either, as those are called such for a reason.
Athian

Post by Athian »

if i wanted to share the contents and details of a PM i would have simply posted it. what i don't like is the fact that i was turned into a target for some strange reason. i yes i believe there would be a common link to using mister X as an example being that Mister X is the only person you can confirm has implimented magic. i'm glad you conceded the argument but i DO NOT like being made your scapegoat. if you read back down this post it's nothing that hasn't been brought up about a hundred times. why a new post needed to be opened then have me dragged into under a redicules guise, like no one would know it was me, i simply do not like and have a right to be more then a bit perturbed about it.

this disscusion has reached a close i see no reason for yet another of these thread to stay open or be made in the future
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

No I dont feel like editing my past post, as its completely unrelated. Basically, I wish to explain how my mindset worked through all of this, as some of yuo are probably thinking of me as a petty immature kid right now. it's something like this:

-Chris (me, PO Ules) has a horrible day at school today.

-During the course of said day, continuous streams of anger and frustration build up, and bottle inside him so that he doesn't hurt anyone there

-Chris gets home and logs onto illarion's forums, with the anger and frustration still very intact

-Chris recieves pm from Athian, which I suppose really isnt a secret now.

-Feeling sort of annoyed that what he felt were more fair suggestions seem to have been ignored, and ignoring the possible reasons why, since he doesnt give a **** in his current mood, he searches through the forums a bit

-He finds that what he thought was definitely true, and the bottled up anger uncaps, and turns into taps on his keyboard.

-Illarion candiates think Chris is an idiot

-Chris' mood doesnt improve because of this, and he continues to argue.

-Chris takes a small break to go eat, during which time, he cools down

-Chris thinks things over, and returns to illarion forums

-Chris apoligizes, now that he's thinking straight

-Athian starts to suck (jk ;))

There, a slight peak at how my mind works. And yes, when im in a bad mood, im very easily upsettable