Mmh...

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Cain Freemont

Mmh...

Post by Cain Freemont »

To anyone whom I have acted brazenly and harsh towards in the past several weeks,

I apologize. I have realized now that I have just been acting like some fool, unable to deal with the fact that the Illarion I came to love is dead and buried. I know now there is truly nothing I can do to bring it back as I am sure there are few left who remember it. My voice, while sometimes on par with others, is useless in this regard, as all it will do is make people think for a moment, then go back to what they were doing. It is stupid of me to think that I could possibly change Illarion to anything that resembles what I remember. I simply can't... won't cope with how things have become and so I will stop bitching about everything. There is no point anyway. Reliving the memories of the game before does nothing, changes nothing, and no longer means much of anything. Sure, some of the memories make old farts like me chuckle, but it means little other than that.. simple sentimentality that has no use.

Anyway, I apologize once again to those I have acted brazenly towards in past, in regard to the game and its dynamic.

Yours,
Eric
Damien

Post by Damien »

Life is always change, if we like it or not. A steady flow. Things change, things vanish, even people we hold dear vanish. All we can do in life is watch, keep searching on, and grow.
We grow from these experiences. As illarion also grows, develops. Changes.
For that is what changes also bring : growth.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

I didn't post this in hopes of receiving some sort of lesson on change. I know how change works. I know this. I don't need to be told that. My post has the purpose of apology and nothing more. I don't want sympathy, lectures, pity, whatever. Knowledge doesn't make things any easier. If anything, it makes things more difficult. I just wanted to apologize.
Damien

Post by Damien »

I'm just remembering a few old times too, may they have been bad or good. You don't have my pity. Sympathy, yes.
Now get a beer, man. :wink:
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

May the illarion of olde rest in peace.

I demand alcohol.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

*throws great, walloping hugs around Cain*

Well, if there was one needed, it's certainly accepted, old prune (n_n) .
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

The Returner wrote:May the illarion of olde rest in peace.

I demand alcohol.
*Throws my CD copy of Legends Of Illarion at his neck*

In peace? NEVER!!

I demand vengeance!

With Eldan as my witness, I swear I will complete this game!!
Next will come spinoffs and prequels until I squeeze it all dry!
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

*De'am purses her lip carefully and begins to brew some camomille tea. She surreptitiously shuffles up to Dyluck from the side and slides the cup onto the coffee table in front of him.*

It'll be okay, Dyluck. We believe in you, Dyluck. We have faith in you.

*De'am shuffles off quietly and retrieves Returner's CD-severed head, klunking it back on his shoulders and bolting it back down, whistling.*
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Yeah Illa has become very boring, and fake, especially as time goes on. They might be able to rename it Illarion: The Game of Nothing or Illarion: The Game of Small Talk, because that is basically what happens (in between the sacred time of skill gain of course). Half the battle is finding someone on the map, the second half of the battle is doing something interesting, and after a while the ideas of doing something interesting dwindle. Leading to the only interesting things that go on are "planned" events, AKA really fake, cliche things where a larger than usual amount of players gather, and a lot of nonsense goes on. The greatest RP ever in Illarion comes from spontaneous RP where people just wing it, from my experience.

There just seems to be a lot of OOC-mixing and OOC nonsense effecting things IG than there use to be in the past, and it's really unfortunate..
cartman1645

Post by cartman1645 »

*remembers the old days all too well* iam lost and alone in this new world of illarion. but change is as was mentioned before inevitable in all aspects of daily life, all we can do is press on and cope with these changes. and cain this is a lesson for you from me. dont want a lesson? well too bad
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

cartman1645 wrote:*remembers the old days all too well* iam lost and alone in this new world of illarion. but change is as was mentioned before inevitable in all aspects of daily life, all we can do is press on and cope with these changes. and cain this is a lesson for you from me. dont want a lesson? well too bad
A moral in every post, even if it is horribly cliché :roll: I'll 'let it slide' since I've known you since before Illarion. ;)

And yes... the senile old fart demands libations!
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

But Cain my good man, look there some of us still here. All we need is some fire wood, a little spot by the river and a time to all meet up for tales of old and remember the lost souls of our era *g*
Damien

Post by Damien »

Senile ? I'll show you how to be senile ! :twisted:
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

I agree to a certain extent, with what Cain writes. The old Illarion, the one with the Ranger Guild, that Cain and I joined at about the same time, is gone. In its place, however, is a more..complex..Illarion, one that is unfortunately ruled to some degree by both IC and OOC politics. Illarion seems to be a politics simulator nowadays, more than a fantasy roleplaying game. But, I still have to argue against you Cain, that good roleplay can be found, if you look hard enough. Many of the old players (and they may shoot dirty looks at me now) still play-just not as their signature characters.

Regarding Fooser's post, I'd agree even more. We (the questing staff) seem to have given players a dependancy on big events. If something isn't signposted as "BIG EVENT," players don't take notice. No longer do players initiate character based events on their own, they seek GM aid and effects. I feel somewhat responsible for this myself. When I was more actively GMing, my events were usually large and bombastic, each one building on the history laid down by the previous ones. However, I believe that the current questing set up will remedy this, hopefully, with more subtle events taking place.

Finally, Cain, I'd like to ask if I can move this to the General forum, as I feel that there is an interesting discussion underneath-as long as it doesn't become a flame match.
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

gonna make this whole page's last reply by me
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Agreed Japh. Being evil says nothing anymore if you do not have GM effects/aid on your side. I am very ashamed at this, and am actually trying to set up something myself (big hugs to the one whom instignated this, and is the actual person whom "set it up"). I wonder however, WHY people do not flock to things that do not have "GM aided" stamps over it?
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

Japheth wrote: No longer do players initiate character based events on their own, they seek GM aid and effects.

Its that many players dont respond to player made quests. Mine had maybe half a dozen respondants. I'm still not entirely sure why that happened.
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

nyeh
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Pocal wrote:
Japheth wrote: No longer do players initiate character based events on their own, they seek GM aid and effects.

Its that many players dont respond to player made quests. Mine had maybe half a dozen respondants. I'm still not entirely sure why that happened.
Which quest of yours? <--- That is what I mean. Even I (!!) do it now. I have no idea what quest you are talking of.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

I believe it was one with a duke and some stuff.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Feel free to move it to General, Japheth.

I know there can still be great RP found, but it really doesn't make things much better for me, for many of the reasons you posted and for a few of my own.
amorax_kaka

Post by amorax_kaka »

what'sthe difference between old Illarion and the new?
amorax_kaka

Post by amorax_kaka »

what'sthe difference between old Illarion and the new?
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

amorax_kaka wrote:what'sthe difference between old Illarion and the new?
Yeah, that would be interesting to know, esp. for a newbie like me!

If the complaint is that there is "no" RP anymore, it's maybe because of the trend WoW and other games started - easy leveling and fancy skills.
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

Misjbar wrote:
Pocal wrote:

Which quest of yours? <--- That is what I mean. Even I (!!) do it now. I have no idea what quest you are talking of.
Donal was right. My quest was the competition where the winners would go and be noble and help the sturggling nation. Devrah agreed to help me. A few people signed up, but not enough to get it going. I set at least three deadlines to allow more players a chance to sign up. I posted, basically begging for people, and nothing happened.

Everyone only wants to be a hero in a GM quest.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

It might be true, as a lot of people say, that some players seem only interested in participating in GM made events. However, I don't think this lends itself to the opposite conclusion that people would have participated in other regular player made events in the absence of GM quests. It could also simply be that those other events themselves simply aren't... interesting, or at the very least it hasn't been presented in a way that effectively attacts the interest of the player base.

I remember back when a few people were complaining about how other people hardly ever read or replied to their stories or events on the RPG board because it was cluttered with trading posts, when infact it was actually because a lot of the stoires or events on the RPG board simply were. or appeared to be. uninteresting. I wrote and read a lot of long things on the RPG board myself, so I would be the last person in the world to be too impatient for a good read. Unfortunately, a lot of them just simply weren't a good read.

It may or may not be the same case here, but I just raise this as a possibilty, because Illarion has a tendency to look only for reasons why people "don't" do something, while overlookiing the reasons why they "would" in the first place.

I'm not trying to discourage people from trying to make events or quests or anything like that, but sometimes the lack of interest might just be because the ideas simply aren't very good or interesting. And even when they are good, the reality is that not everyone knows how to make a good sales pitch with it.