Annoying teleporters

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Devrah Liioness

Annoying teleporters

Post by Devrah Liioness »

I wonder, is it possible to make teleporters inactive if you log in onto them? Because I just logged in and was imediately teleported to Varshikar, and it's quite frankly so frustrating that I'm just not going to play after all right now.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Not possible, at least not that easy. Sure, the server could check for low volume items on a tile where your char is supposed to spawn, but I think the drawbacks (not being able to login on beds, chairs, tiles with flowers, work for the server team,...) are much bigger than the benefits (...?).
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

haha fun thing, but its nearly impossible to happen you just got badlucky, i think there are more important things to work on.
Dain Ironfoot

Post by Dain Ironfoot »

Actually some do it on perpose. When I was watching my friend play he said ((BRB)) once and logged and another guy casted a teleport where he logged out, so he came back and their I was, Tol Vanima.
Devrah Liioness

Well it's annoying to me.
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

Indeed, annoying.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

We cannot chose where our teleporter is casted, until we are a mage.
Papoitsi

Post by Papoitsi »

You must not want to play very much if such a little thing annoys you, Devrah. It's not a big deal. Log out in a different place if it bothers you so much.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Right, make sure theres lots of things with collisions and shadows around, who wants to spawn a portal near places they can't see or get to?
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Papoitsi, I think it's the long, boring walk back that discouraged her from playing. You know, the thing that pretty much spoils it all because it's boring.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Yeah. We had a quest planned.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

It takes 10-15 minutes to walk back from Varshikar at maximum. Ive done it in under this time with Nalzaxx who has an agility of about 3 I believe.
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

That was a very unlikely incident. Considering that a portal appears at random somewhere in an area of 64 tiles. Don't think you could deliberately reproduce it with a book.

I guess technical solutions are not called for. If you're really in the wrong spot and in a hurry, contact a GM or a Dev, they can get you back in no time.

Which makes me think: There should be some offset in the mage spell too, depending on the skill of the caster and success of the spell.
Devrah Liioness

Nalzaxx wrote:It takes 10-15 minutes to walk back from Varshikar at maximum. Ive done it in under this time with Nalzaxx who has an agility of about 3 I believe.
Well I barely have any time off of work and I don't want to spend 15 minutes of it walking by tile after tile of nothing.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

So, this sounds like you'd enjoy the walk if the map'd feature some more details? Aegohl, your keyword!
Allura
Location: Bending my mind to crawl through perversions and riddles.

Post by Allura »

There's a lot between Varshikar and TB, but what makes it most annoying is that the majority of it is mountain (slowing you down a lot), followed by desert (slowing you down enough), and then grass (which is fine).
While it would be nice if Aegohl could stick in something nice to look at now and again, there really isn't a lot that he can do. No, that isn't a challenge, I swear. lol.
I do the walk all the time, however, but my agility is fairly high. It takes about 5 minutes.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Working on it. =) I'd be done if it weren't for the amazing amount of detail that I put into it.
Jon Childs
Location: Location not edited since 5/12/05-Join me in my quest for locations that are overly long and dated

Post by Jon Childs »

I do the walk down the coast at the root of the mountain.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Yay for Aegohl! *cheers*
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Right now I'm working on a much-larger, more beautiful, Lake Adron. Now that it's larger, it includes a small island one can take a ferry to. There one will find a nice, quiet place to enjoy a bottle of wine with a colleague.

However, in the distance one can see the dark pillar, now with a wall warning people to stay away, reminding them that, while they can relax and enjoy themselves now, evil is on the horizon. =)
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Wait, that thing is a lake? o_O *always thought of it as Gobiath's only pond* :D
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Yeah, thats a point, now the "lake" will actually be a lake. We need a pond where we can feed the ducks.
Devrah Liioness

Allright, fair enough, a more interesting map helps.
But if I ever find the SOB who left a portal right where I logged in... :twisted:

<3
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I believe it was Arameh who put it in the shop in an attempt to escape from some orcs.
Allura
Location: Bending my mind to crawl through perversions and riddles.

Post by Allura »

Kudos to Aegohl and anyone else who helped! The desert near the oasis looks super! *ggg*

*pats on the back*
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Aslong as I don't get eaten next time I go up that way...
Irania

Post by Irania »

Today when I was mining and used the book it created the portal on the cave wall that surrounds the mine. What a waste. I had to walk (This actually is happening now, lol). Now that is annoying.
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

It is generally known that this can and will happen. I believe its why most people use an OPEN area of the map to use a portal book.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Ha ha, you're a funny guy. Now I put a curse on you.
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

Irania wrote:Today when I was mining and used the book it created the portal on the cave wall that surrounds the mine. What a waste. I had to walk (This actually is happening now, lol). Now that is annoying.
That is one of the limitations on those portals that were deliberately put in. They are not intended as a foolproof, failsafe instant cheap easy way out of any situation. :-)