A (load of) suggestions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

A (load of) suggestions

Post by Llama »

A few suggestions which I have been wanting to make for ages

Suggestion 1: Rotting Food

This has been suggested many times before, however I think I have found a solution. Anyhow the suggestion is that food will 'rot' over time, and become less edible and will therefore cure hunger less, or in extreme cases be of harm to the eater. The suggestion is simply a 'quality' meter for food, however as most foods are stackable, the problem arises here.

My suggestion is simply this: that food should have a quality, 5 quailities (fresh, not fresh, stale, mouldy, inedible). The problem arises when attempting to stack food, however if the system is simply changed to allow food only to be stacked if it is of the SAME quality, and it will rot in the same way at the same time. This allows a baker for example to have a 'stack' of freshly baked bread for sale. Food should decompose one step everytime the person spends the equivalent of one (virtual) day online.

Advantages: >A market for foods which last longer; for long journies, (having salt added to them for example)
> Less stocking up on food to last for ages
> Realism
> 'Rangers' will need cooking skills to survive in the wild
> Perhaps herbs could make the food last longer... realism
> A more active role for cooks, "Just a moment sir, let me cook it for you now"

Disadvantages:

< Having to carry around raw ingredients instead of cooked produce
< Having 5 different stacks for the same food
< Having to buy food regularly, or eating fresh, allowing for more RP [intended]

------

Suggestions 2: Wearing armor or changing weapons

Problem: Person is fighting, his armor breaks, he continues fighting whislt replacing the armor

Solution: Similar to the 'push' delay, however the delay will depend on how heavy the armor is, so a person attempting to wear heavy platemail will have to spend (example) 10 seconds without reacting or fighting [#me wears the armor], whislt clothes and simple leather armor a few seconds (say 3)

Advantages: > Realism
> Damaged armor causes a MAJOR problem during fights [intended]
> Greater demand for new armor, for fear that it might break during combbat

Disadvantages: <Mistakes [accidently droping the armor]

---------

Suggestion 3: Faster healing when without armor

This is simply a small suggestion, a person wearing armor will heal more slowly, because he can't clean or close the wounds. This forces the injured to take off their armor, and look for a safe place to rest.

---------

Suggestion 4: White/Brown Bread

Ok this might sound really stupid but I'll say it anyway.

In the old times brown bread was thought to be the bread of the poor, as it doesn't look so attractive, and is cheaper to make; whislt white bread was reserved for the rich who could afford it. So the suggestion is simply allowing the baking of white bread, which uses more resources (you have to use more flour because you are seperating the wheat germ from the grain) example 3 units of flour for the same amount of bread.

The only use is for RP reasons, similar to that of drinking from a golden goblet; to flaunt your power and riches.

-----------

Suggestion 5: Supplies

When the NPC doesn't have any of that item, he should give you a message such as : "I do not have any of that item right now, however supplies should be arriving [~~~~]; (soon, later on , in a few hour's time ect); oh and when we get static quests "I sent someone to get them..."

This gives an indication of how long a player has to wait before the restocking of that NPC.

Ok in the future when we have AI controlled NPCs, we could have things like supply wagons with NPC guards which you can rob from bla bla ect... but till then... its a start

-----------

Suggestion 6: Signature

Remember we have the !bag command to name bags, what if for ONE chance (/sword), you could name a sword? For example a famous blacksmith finishes an expensive sword of excellent quality for a client, uses the ! command, and marks his initials onto the sword, just so he'll have somethign to show off when he shows it to people. "My sword was crafted by the finest smith in the country *shows them the sword*"
Of course you could have forgeries ;)

------------

Suggestion 7: No rotting

This is a simple suggestion for use in guild houses or public places mostly, simply a tile or something to allow anythign in that area NOT to rot after the time has expired. This would allow things like common guild items (obvously locked with a key) or treasuries which all members can acess (those who have the key), or decorations such as oil lamps on the floor.
In the future perhaps we could have an artismenship skill for people who just create items for decoration (example clay vases)

---
Suggestion 8: Cakes and the such

Simple suggestion which will require new graphics though. SImply allowing cakes and other large food objects to be cut, or else drain off use; this allows more than one person to eat that particular cake for example (everyone gets a piece)
---

Suggestion 9: Herbs

Now that herb lore has returned, perhaps it would be wise to have herbs for food, some herbs would make the food last longer (see suggestion 1); others more filling, some will reduce its effects (-ve effect .:) others multiply the effect of other herbs anyway... the list is endless. The herb would be added to the food whislt cooking (giving it a different name). [So menu would be choose food, then you'll have a list of avalable herbs to select]

Advantages: > Experimentation: "hmm try HERB X with bread instead of soup"
> Variety: One herb would have different effects on different food types, example a sweet herb is best used on cakes instead in soups
> Extention of herb lore: You taste the herb, it seems to be sweet; You taste the herb, it has a very sour taste (therefore poisionous)
> Realism
---

The end. for now.
Thank you for all of you who went through the trouble of reading it, oh and if you want to comment please NUMBER the comments (comment for 1), to prevent confusion
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

For the armor chancing: It's dumb because you can't really blame the person because they decided to have helmets, gloves, etc. break within 5 seconds (there's your realism)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Pardon?!

I meant to replace it.. you wear platemail takes 5 seconds to wear.. nto to break!
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Are you talking about just the chest armor or all armor?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Head armor takes none (unless fullhelm)
Chest armor takes a lot
Leg armor takes most
Nitram
Developer

Re: A (load of) suggestions

Post by Nitram »

Time for the mean and evil Developers:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 1: Rotting Food
Impossible because:
No rotting cycle in the depot
No rotting cycle while the Char is not IG

Bad because:
You say we should change the quality and work with the quality. But if we do this, we have to make the items unstackable. Did you really want this? One field for each apple?
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestions 2: Wearing armor or changing weapons
Possible
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 3: Faster healing when without armor
I don't think this is needed. Because the body regenerates with or without armor. In anycase. To do this, it is needed to make some major changes in the server code. I don't think this is really this importaint.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 4: White/Brown Bread
A new Item would be needed and new grafics. If we have really nothing to do, we could think about this. :roll:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 5: Supplies
This causes a lot of work of calculation.
I could let them say. "I get some supplies in 130000 server cycles"
;)
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 6: Signature
Currently impossible. The bag text is written in the hidden quality value of the bag. But the sword allready uses the quality value.

------------
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 7: No rotting
Realized when the server is updated the next time.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 8: Cakes and the such
Nice idea. Work for the ones how make the graphics.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 9: Herbs
Impossible. The server don't know what you have eaten befor or after. But may the Herbs will be used somewhere else. You remember...a long time befor we had something like druids
Hadrian_Abela wrote:The end. for now.
Finally. ;)

Nitram
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:The problem arises when attempting to stack food, however if the system is simply changed to allow food only to be stacked if it is of the SAME quality, and it will rot in the same way at the same time. Food should decompose one step everytime the person spends the equivalent of one (virtual) day online.
Bad because:
You say we should change the quality and work with the quality. But if we do this, we have to make the items unstackable. Did you really want this? One field for each apple?
Please read above ^

Oh and RE: herbs in food, I meant such as this:

You select BREAD. Then another menu pops up : with the herbs , and you select which or none at all
THEN he tries to make it.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:The problem arises when attempting to stack food, however if the system is simply changed to allow food only to be stacked if it is of the SAME quality, and it will rot in the same way at the same time. Food should decompose one step everytime the person spends the equivalent of one (virtual) day online.
This is not possible except with more items.

Please read above ^

Oh and RE: herbs in food, I meant such as this:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:You select BREAD. Then another menu pops up : with the herbs , and you select which or none at all
THEN he tries to make it.
Possible, but is it needed to make eating so...difficult?
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Will we be able to build houses and buildings in the next version?
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

You mean in some automatic sense, such as going to an NPC?

Personally, I am against this option. The map would have to be expanded even larger as I am sure that every player will work to have a house for every one of their characters.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

In other words: Not, without our nice mappers
Liles

Post by Liles »

Nitram wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Suggestion 4: White/Brown Bread
A new Item would be needed and new grafics. If we have really nothing to do, we could think about this. :roll:

The grafic isn't that hard, infact i've spent 2 mins making my own.

Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Martin wouldn't want it.
Salesh Ssshak'rr

Post by Salesh Ssshak'rr »

#me stabs someone with the point on liles' bread
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Suggestions 2: Wearing armor or changing weapons

Problem: Person is fighting, his armor breaks, he continues fighting whislt replacing the armor

Solution: Similar to the 'push' delay, however the delay will depend on how heavy the armor is, so a person attempting to wear heavy platemail will have to spend (example) 10 seconds without reacting or fighting [#me wears the armor], whislt clothes and simple leather armor a few seconds (say 3)

Advantages: > Realism
> Damaged armor causes a MAJOR problem during fights [intended]
> Greater demand for new armor, for fear that it might break during combbat

Disadvantages: <Mistakes [accidently droping the armor]

This is a really good idea as i can assure you many people currently have a bag full of helms and gloves. Heck im not shy i do they all break to quickly, to only keep one. How ever a penalty for changeing dureing combat weapon or armor would be an amazing improvement and stop people being complete tanks.
As soon as we have gloves and helms lasting for a decent time!!
Suggestion 5: Supplies

When the NPC doesn't have any of that item, he should give you a message such as : "I do not have any of that item right now, however supplies should be arriving [~~~~]; (soon, later on , in a few hour's time ect); oh and when we get static quests "I sent someone to get them..."

This gives an indication of how long a player has to wait before the restocking of that NPC.

Ok in the future when we have AI controlled NPCs, we could have things like supply wagons with NPC guards which you can rob from bla bla ect... but till then... its a start
Would just make people camp the npcs for longer they take a long time to restock if you missed out today try tomorrow. Also as we balance npc prices more and we can sell more to them they will have more coin.
Like the capp dont start saying how long it will take...people will logg off and on or who knows.
Brian
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

I like the bread idea...Maybe because I'm hungry, or maybe because it adds realsim...
Llama

Post by Llama »

Guess what? A few more suggestions...

I 'bank' Deeds:

Problem: In order to pass example 30 handles to a buyer you need to drag them ONE by ONE, upon the tile, not to mention they'll probably fill your depot or weight a few hundred kilos ;)

Solution: A deed, which is basically a special 'bag' [graphic: Parchment] which will allow a person to drag items into it, and they will not weigh anything (portability); however they can only be 'opened' to get the items back (or have items added to it) when a person is standing next to a depot (will prevent a person carrying everything inside a parchment). The parchment will be bought from an NPC, and will be of single use only, so when you 'unpack' it, it will fill your depot with whatever the person put in it (checks for space beforehand); and then disappear.

Programming: A simple function similar to that of requiring a fire for cooking in order to USE the item.
Weight of items inside of it will be zero.
'Easier method': Turns into a normal bag when you USE it to get items back

Inpractice: Basically a bag, but can only have things added from it, unless the person chooses to draw everything from it, therebye deleting it in process

Advantages:
Saving space
'Professional look'
Easier to steal [#me grabs the handles as they come ((ok wait whislt i pick up all of them)) opposed to #me grabs the deed and runs]
More RP [here you go, a deed for the equivalanet of a set of full armor]
Easier to sort, having all customers with a different deed
!bag to name the deed to remember who's it is
NPCs may sell in packs : Platemail and Platehelm set costs (X+Y-discount) coins; or Carpenters tools cost X coins [hatchet,saw,c.tools,plane]

-
II Fighting your way through

Basically its a request to have LONGER respawn times for Ramond's graveyard, or anywhere where there is a sort of 'path' you can fight your way through.
Anything you kill will turn into a skeleton graphic, and it will take a while (for example 15mins) to respawn again. This allows people to fight their way through, instead of fighting the same enemies respawned over and over again. This would also allow any 'rewards' placed in there to be picked up with ease (or items of dead comrades)
Currently you fight the same skeletons (killed/respawned) till you get tired.

-
III Moving shot

IF an enemy is facing away from you and moving, there is a 50% chance that if you hit him with a missile weapon, he will not be able to walk for a few seconds (2?) similar to the 'push'.
Note that this doesn't work if the person is facing you, (ie approaching you). This by RP is the person gets hit by a projectile in the leg, and falls.
Advantages: Preventing a person who doesn't want to RP falling to his face from running away. #me fires an arrow and brings the person down
Archers become a problem in battle
Works on NPCs?

Note: to prevent abuse, a type of counter should be used to prevent the person falling all the time (example a limit of 3 times per rotcycle), otherwise 2 archers on opposite sides will kill anything.
-
IV Anatomy (version2)

(i'm sure i suggested this somewhere)
A new skill anatomy, which is sorted under fighting skills. Anatomy is the study of the human body.

Uses:
1Any enemy which looks vaguely human will take extra damage depending on this skill (max 1.5 times?), and will also increase the change of a critical hit.
If the person is fighting with no weapons, anatomy will be able to double the total damage [Since he is basically using it all the time], or even stun (push thingy) the enemy.

2If the nice Devs decide to give us a healing skill, this is certainly a good base to start on (healing will depend a lot on how much you understand of the body)

3 ((*Clicks on the enemy*)) You see very strong, almost dead skeleton

Skill gain:
X times when fighting a mummy, skeleton, robber, Player Character, troll , ogre
2X times when fighting with no weapons

-
V Herb Lore: Sorted

Please put herblore under druidism skills please, if its not to late.. it looks kind of lonely under craftsman

-
VI Someone has died here

WHen a person dies, the skeleton graphic (the dead one on the floor) appears on that space. This should rot away after a loong time (NPC cycle?)
Perhaps a way to bury him as well? USE SHOVEL with CORPSE.
-
VII Player undead

Bit of a longshot, but would IMHO make things much more interesting

A person dies in a cursed place (graveyard or temple) where there are undead. His dead body, on next rot cycle (or longer) will be animated by the dark forces around. An NPC controled demon skeleton will rise, having the same skill, strenght and properties of the fallen fighter. [The fighter is unaffected, and can continue on as usual]
This NPC will not be respawned, and will attack like the normal undead. However he will be naturally tougher, depending on the skills of the person who died before him.

This IMHO would make dying scarier for the people you are with.
Note: if the person has died with a very powerful final shot (example got himself killed by a demon), he will not rise again as undead: as there wont be much left of the body anyway :twisted:

-
VIII Site update

Could you please update some sections of the site, such as the To-do list et cetera?

-
IX Who hit who?

-
SImply a cross next to the person who attacked (a green one?) to show that he just attacked YOU. This would give an indication of who's hitting strongest [if you note that when playerX attacked you lost a good bit of the health bar...], and if your being hit by enough projectiles to be worried about.

X Oopsy missed

If you do not hit an intended target with a missile weapon, there is a chance inversly depending on your skill that you will hit something one tile away from the targe, and cause that person damage. Works well with that described as 9.

--
XI How many XXX do you have?
Could we have a way of knowing how many items an NPC has for sale?
Currently the only method is the one below:

YOU: i will buy 5 flour

NPC: I am sorry, I don't have this currently. Come back later.

YOU: i will buy 3 flour

YOU: i will buy 2 flour

NPC: You want 2 flour? Here you are, that makes 4 copper pieces.

YOU: i will buy a flour

SOmething like, "How many XXX can you sell?"
---
XII NPC with OOC:
Could you mark the commands when you say HELP with ooc brackets?, and make him whisper it? (you are one step away anyway); also could you keyword it to look for ((HELP)) instead of HELP? it gets stupid sometimes when you'r screaming for help and NPC decides to help you ;)
Mugush: 'List your wares', 'I want to buy <number> <wares>', 'I want to buy a <ware>', 'I want to sell <number|a> <wares>', 'Price of ...','What do you pay for ...', 'What wares do you buy?'
to
Mugush(w): (('List your wares', 'I want to buy <number> <wares>', 'I want to buy a <ware>', 'I want to sell <number|a> <wares>', 'Price of ...','What do you pay for ...', 'What wares do you buy?'))
--
XIII Underfoot
Please make it impossible to drag items under someone's feet, but if the person 'steps' on them they will be impossible to drag, except by the person on top of them [unless you PUSH him]
Mostly for realism; and/or for thieves
-
XIV Bucket

Could you stop the bucket from goign to the belt everytime you use the water inside it? Its a hassle to drag it back up to your hand when you'r trying to make 10 dough for example.
-

Thats all for now... and YES i do spend my free time thinking about illarion ;)
Thank you to the poor souls who went to the trouble of reading them
-
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

XIII Underfoot
Please make it impossible to drag items under someone's feet, but if the person 'steps' on them they will be impossible to drag, except by the person on top of them [unless you PUSH him]
Mostly for realism; and/or for thieves
True in the new client. However, you cannot pick any items yourself from underneath your feet either.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I: I don't see the additional benefit if compared to usual bags (without bugs). NPCs could sell sets without a big problem.

II: Variable respawn times are useful, I agree.

III: Sounds like a proposal with not much use but high risk for abusing

IV: Chance to stun enemies in combat sounds like a nice idea, even though it could be abused like the good old paralyze. I fail to see the use of the rest.

V: Too late I guess

VI: Bodies were planned once, there were even graphics. AFAIK someone objected against this, don't know the details.

VII: Sounds hard to implement (well, not hard, but much work), in special event this is a good effect but I think it'd annoy people in day to day RP

VIII: I totally agree!

IX: The new client will feature something like this.

X: Sounds like alot of work, could be nice, though

XI: Sounds good, I suggest to PM Nitram with this part

XII: n00bs don't know about the brackets, so the keyword "help" is good I think. NPCs talking in brackets sounds reasonable, see XI

XIII: The new client will feature this.

XIV: Same holds for casting ingots. I suggest to PM Nop with this.
Amulus

Post by Amulus »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
XI How many XXX do you have?
Could we have a way of knowing how many items an NPC has for sale?
Currently the only method is the one below:

YOU: i will buy 5 flour

YOU: i will buy 3 flour

YOU: i will buy 2 flour

NPC: You want 2 flour? Here you are, that makes 4 copper pieces.

YOU: i will buy a flour

SOmething like, "How many XXX can you sell?"
---
-
Easy enough. Infact, heres the talking code, not sure the code to make the NPC check his wares, but nitram can add that.

Code: Select all

NPCtrig[n][n]: "How many [names here] can you sell?"
NPCtext[n][n]: "I have [x] ammount of [name] to sell today."