Hintergrundgeschichte / Background

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

What do you think about Illarion's background? / Was hältst du von Illarion's Hintergundgeschichte?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:14 pm

Games need no background, I would never read such things. Let's go killing! / Spiele brauchen keine Hintergundgeschichte, ich würde sowas niemals lesen. Laßt uns was metzeln gehen!
1%
The background is enough text already, no one reads it anyway. / Die Hintergrundgeschichte ist schon genug Text, das ließt doch sowieso keiner.
25%
The background is too few, much world information is still missing. / Die Hintergrundgeschichte ist recht knapp, viele Informationen über die Welt fehlen noch.
4%
The background totally lacks overall world description, more details about history and races/sub-races are also necessary. / Der Hintergrundgeschichte fehlt es an einer generellen Beschreibung der Welt sowie der Geschichte und der (Unter-)Rassen.
13%
The background needs much more details to enable the players to experience a better, dense game atmosphere! So get working guys! / Die Hintergrundgeschichte benötigt noch mehr Details, um die Spielerfahrung intensiver und besser zu machen. An die Arbeit!
7%
The background must be expanded: We need a lot of stories, books to read ingame, legends and myths about the whole world. / Der Hintergrund muß erweitert werden: Wir brauchen Geschichten, Bücher, Mythen und Legenden im Spiel zum lesen.
48%
WTF is www.moonsilver.de and all this background stuff? / Was zum &%!#~ ist www.moonsilver.de und dieser ganze Hintergrundkram?
1%

Total votes: 75

Estralis Seborian

Hintergrundgeschichte / Background

Post by Estralis Seborian »

(A poll by Damien)

Dear players,
once again, we ask you for your opinion. This time, we'd like to hear your opinion on the Illarion background story, the informations you can find on www.moonsilver.de and www.illarion.org.

---

Liebe Mitspieler,
wiedermal fragen wir euch nach eurer Meinung. Diesmal interessiert uns eure Einstellung zum Thema "Illarion's Hintergrundgeschichte", damit sind vor allem die Informationen gemeint, die man auf www.moonsilver.de und www.illarion.org findet.
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saradomin_Meranwyn

Post by Saradomin_Meranwyn »

I myself would like to see an expansion in it. I guess I am one of the few people who read it ... 8)

That's because I am l33t3r than all of you who voted the second option.
Thalodos Artemetus

Post by Thalodos Artemetus »

In my opinion, the background needs a lot of expanding. I think the reason option 2 is so popular is because it's quite hard for most new players to find so when they become more established, they see little point in it. I would be willing to help If i could.
Last edited by Thalodos Artemetus on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saradomin_Meranwyn

I would be willing to help as well. My brain is overloaded with ideas.

~Eric
Markous

Post by Markous »

As a background worker, my opinion is:

The background must be expanded. :)
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

A basic story is fine, once you go beyond that you run into problems. Complex and detailed stories restrict roleplay heavily. And if people become too obsessed youll get situations like:

((omg you cant do that because the cake king died in battle in the second century and placed a curse on such things!! WTF!!!))
((huh?))

I also find the wording of this poll to be very insulting and bias, as it seems Damien believes any people who havent memorized the background story are just hack and slash players.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I wold say, make one short version wich is made to be short and understandable.

And keep the long version for some who want it.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Needs more information on places.

And yeah, Fooser is right. Not every character needs a knowledge of history. Only one of my character's would have the slightest knowledge of history, and he'd be MUCH more interested in monsters.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Don't we make the history? I tried to read it but got bored in the first sentence and just left. I agree with fooser
Damien

Post by Damien »

The main question is if you ENJOY ingame story, reading books there, etc at all. Noone must know all history, but fit his character at least a bit into its surroundings, to roleplay well.
More than 40% of our players seem not to enjoy story, which shows clearly that we have a conflict between player parts : Those who really want to play a living world and participate in a story, and those who just don't mind and play along however they like. :wink:

The above answer looks as if we would rather need two servers :shock:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Just because you disagree with someone, doesnt mean they are a poor roleplayer.

I dont think there is anyone here who doesn't enjoy story. Probably just don't want it crammed down their throats.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

The story is dull. Standard "The gods beat the evil thing" fare.
Saradomin_Meranwyn

Fantasy Server or Strick Server. :wink:
I've known quite a few games that do that.
Llama

Post by Llama »

umm... my idea isn't in the list of options:

There is enough background, and to let the other players invent and enjoy themselves. Backgrounds should give an idea of what to expect, but too much will be constrictive.

Power to the Player!

[If anything let the players invent the history (cioe` all of them not a few); ingame.. for example Bragon followers playing around the fire (remember that?) add that to the info. for example]
Saradomin_Meranwyn

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like that one! 8)
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Well said, Hadrian
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Did Hadrian just say something interesting, constructive and non-spammific. I am proud. *wipes tears away* Maybe he did learn something from me and Fo...Oh wait, I was talking about interesting info. Maybe he did learn something from me.

But interesting tidbits none-the-less. It is already done slightly ofcourse, if you look through the chronicles.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Of course I did, and now I will officially change my name to Erick and join your guild.

Anyway the point is this> The Developers dont make the game (no offence to anyone meant), but they set the playing field; it is the players which make the game with what they find. And how would we be able to cope by our characters magically learning something about their own customs which they should have known for 1000+ years yet just remembered. Different places would have had different customs, so its hard to draw the line.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Ah, but Hadrian, Gobaith is technically speaking, and in comparison to a normal world this: <----------> tiny. So there are not much different places to be.
Llama

Post by Llama »

We all came here by boats, from fareaway lands bringing our own customs with us, and own ideas. So elves who came from land **** would do different things than elves from xxxxx... even if they share the same basis.
Markous

Post by Markous »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Power to the Player!
I disagree on this one. There should be the possibility for every interested players to join the story team, but I dislike the idea that anyone can at anytime invent the background for Illarion like he wants it to be.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:We all came here by boats, from fareaway lands bringing our own customs with us, and own ideas. So elves who came from land **** would do different things than elves from xxxxx... even if they share the same basis.
Go to Moonsilver, and look at the humans section. Does that not show and explain the human customs, as described and done by the game and the actual world. Look, if you want something like that, explaining different customs, or maybe different kinds of elves like it was done on the humans section, than say so. But you cannot come around and incorporating your own customs, because you came from this and this land. Because who says those lands actually exist and the likes?

And who says your customs will fit in with the world? Ofcourse it is good to experiment, but you are saying that every single elf could be entirely different. Which is not good either.
Llama

Post by Llama »

What I meant is this: exclude the lizards for they are from around Gobaith (well most of them RP it anyway)

But people will have to learn IG the customs for their race, and the background is composed of what? Customs [slightly different for each person], legends about the gods [ok these they could be increased]. But not everyone obeying the same path and same ideas, new person comes from an island away from gobaith, and knows more about their customs then the others.

Invent your own ideas, and then people will copy them if they like it, for example I remember giving a fish to someone after a fight (selisidour) saying it was an old custom of mine. If anyone liked it, they could have copied it, and thats how customs come to being, not by reading them from a site and copying them. Individuality [See also : "Going agaisnt the flow > Off topic"]
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:What I meant is this: exclude the lizards for they are from around Gobaith (well most of them RP it anyway)

But people will have to learn IG the customs for their race, and the background is composed of what? Customs [slightly different for each person], legends about the gods [ok these they could be increased]. But not everyone obeying the same path and same ideas, new person comes from an island away from gobaith, and knows more about their customs then the others.

Invent your own ideas, and then people will copy them if they like it, for example I remember giving a fish to someone after a fight (selisidour) saying it was an old custom of mine. If anyone liked it, they could have copied it, and thats how customs come to being, not by reading them from a site and copying them. Individuality [See also : "Going agaisnt the flow > Off topic"]
The lizards can perfectly well exist elsewhere too. The Gods created this WORLD, not just this island hun. After the first lizard start to appear because of miss Tanora's little affair, they could have gone anywhere, not just his little island (me thinks). Oh well.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I voted option number 6 and I'm not reading the rest of the posts in this topic because I have like minus 10 seconds to write this.

The current history written on moonsilver is excellent (and I'd like to see it expanded, if you need someone to help develop I would gladly give all the help in the world ^^), and to take it away would ruin what a lot of people put into their character's and background stories already. But the game also has another history that is recounted in the chronicles and the RPG forums. Each player contributes to the history. The current history is needed. I just think more players should read the history/background because it can only better their character development in the game.

My two cents.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Firstly I can repeat in brief the sentiments I shared on another forum and say that a great many players do use it and were as not using the games history does not make you a bad player. 80% of the amazing characters who have left an impression on me have drawn heavily from the worlds mythology and history.

Now as fooser said players should not be forced into following the history or "story". We have cultures all over the world but if i said i expect all Asians to behave in the same way and hold the same beliefs I think i would offend many people.
Same for lizards :wink:

It is for me not even a question of if we need it but how we begin implementing it. This is not a question of stopping players from making history our world has a history i do not believe it stops you adding to the world, it just makes running around naked a little less acceptable generally :wink:

What we need the gods...
.The way they are often worshipped perhaps a "popular" ritual per god or way of worship per god.

As I play a follower of Tanora now I speak of the goddess and some one else speaks of the goddess. We either share the same old facts or we begin making them up. This does not help a cohesive tradition form in game.

.The holy days need to be publicized more perhaps the gms could mention them on the in game events thread. Tomorrow between 6pm and 10 pm is X y day. I do not even know the holy days : oops:

.Gms could run quests specific to religions of course perhaps not Ronagan how ever many of the gods could start playing a more active role in the game.

Lastly we need to raise player awareness often i have met an orc in game who whilst speaking perfect English cannot understand that orcs are hated. Basically we need to raise awareness in game and around the site, especially at character creation of the back ground the more it becomes the normal not the exception to use it the more it will be used.
Brian
Markous

Post by Markous »

Holy days are developed and will come very soon :)
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Pendar wrote: It is for me not even a question of if we need it but how we begin implementing it. This is not a question of stopping players from making history our world has a history i do not believe it stops you adding to the world, it just makes running around naked a little less acceptable generally :wink:
Watch the potshots! :P
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

I voted for number 4.

I believe, that we need more knowledge about the physical things of our world and the development of the races etc.

What we do not need with all details - that is my view - are stories about a history of a world and countries at other continents with no link to the ingame happen.

What we need are the stories about the real story of the played illarion, the happen of the past. The chronics of illarion are a good begin in my view.

The most knowledge about the happen at the isle, about the past, about the places is told by our veterans in little groups around of campfires or in the tavern.

What i would like to see ingame are individuel books (no stories at any homepage!) with the real history: Like the Chronic of Northerot - The begin and the end of Darlok, the legendary story about the plan to found Silverbrand, a summary of the 'Ice Crown' story and much more.

But propably something like that must be initiated by the players not the staff, because that are the stories of their own chars. (Personally i write an encyclopaedia of the herbs for druids in view of Lennier and in use of his beliefs since more than a year. It's for his druid friends and students. Until now it only can be read at some few boards of different guilds).
Rand Kalhan Al'Vega

Post by Rand Kalhan Al'Vega »

I think there should be more ingame legends and all.. Who the heck are the Serinjah? and the Lor-Anguar? perhaps it's on moonsilver but I haven't had the time to look... I've been focused on being in game when I have the chance...