Realism

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Realism

Post by Llama »

Just a few unrealistic things which IMHO should be arranged:

1) KIlling a sheep gets you "grey wool"... however unless you used a concussion weapon, i doubt that the wool wouldn't be full of holes, or dripping in blood...

SUggestion-> no wool upon death

2) Hands can carry large amounts of items, when it isn't too realistic...

Suggestion-> No stackable items in hands.. or just ONE

3) Arrows, are held in hands... yet how can you fire one if you have 49 more in the same hand?

Suggestion-> Quiver to hold arrows, or a space for an extra bag

4) Wool, has the surface area of a whole sheep... so how come you can hold it in one hand?

Suggestion -> Two hands...

5) Arrows are made using BOARDS and thread... a whole board for 1 arrow?

Suggestion -> Use branches

6) Large Metal shield uses the same material as a wooden shield... where did the extra material go?

Suggestion -> 2 wood 1 iron for wooden; 2 iron 1 wood for metal

7) Large Metal shield costs as much as a smaller one ...

Suggestion -> Price change

Thanks
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

1) KIlling a sheep gets you "grey wool"... however unless you used a concussion weapon, i doubt that the wool wouldn't be full of holes, or dripping in blood...
No objection to that only question would be the amount of work for devs in relation to the small impact it would have on the game as a whole.
2) Hands can carry large amounts of items, when it isn't too realistic...
There is such a thing as player responsibility bearing in mind I can never see what is in your hands it is up to you what you put in your hands. I really dont see a huge difference between belt and hand slots. One is used for weapons is all, but if you want 50 appels #me carrying a bag.
3) Arrows, are held in hands... yet how can you fire one if you have 49 more in the same hand?
That is actually related to the quiver which is "rped" your hand is kept busy moveing between quiver and bow. Also having arrows in one hand stops an archer useing a sword or shield at same time. This is of course necessary to avoid "cheating".
5) Arrows are made using BOARDS and thread... a whole board for 1 arrow?
Issue with arrows both cost and production is being adressed i believe, in due time.

The ones I have not replied to are ones I can agree on even if I dont see them as awfully important I can certainly acknowledge that they need changeing.
Brian
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Pendar wrote:
No objection to that only question would be the amount of work for devs in relation to the small impact it would have on the game as a whole.
They could remove wool from monster loot altogether. So you could only get it by sheering a sheep.
Llama

Post by Llama »

1)That was my idea... or else is something like, damaged wool which you have to wash before hand

2) You can carry up to 250 items [stackable] in a slot... also , apparently [not sure though]. they dont count as 'encumbered' so that would be cheating

3) Put a (\) sign in the other hand when you have a bow, and the arrows come from the quiver
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

I think most of us RP well enough to assume that the technical bundle of arrows that we put into the other hand (that doesn't hold the bow) is sufficient representation of a quiver.

The GMs would have to create a new ~quiver~ item for the use of something that already serves in place of a technical quiver.

For the wool.... are you just ASKING for MORE things to make a crafting process (in this case, tailoring) more tedious? There are many details that we as RP-ers should and often do "glaze over" because of technical things. For example, we don't make our character fReAk OuT whenever someone suddenly disappears for a few seconds, right? At least I hope we don't :P .

So far, I've thought about this thing with dirty wool before. But I usually do one of these choices:
  1. Use scissors. No, I mean to shear the sheep, not kill it.
  2. RP cleaning the wool. If you really want more steps to create tedium, then you can certainly sit and RP cleaning the bloody wool. You probably have to clean it and comb it thoroughly anyway. The sheep wander around in the shrubs and grass and bushes. They don't grow their wool in a little clean bubble, you know.
    • If you actually DO get that desperate enough to KILL the sheep for its wool, don't forget to use cold water to wash the blood. Don't ever wash blood off with warm water, it messes things up :wink:
EDIT: One last thing about amount of wool -- Most of you will probably not be quite talented enough to shear that damn sheep's wool in one whole piece. No, I don't care what you say. Yes, that's what the professionals do. You are probably not a professional. If you say you are, or want to be, then sit down and RP your sheep-shearing practice.

Anyway, you're probably holding X-number of wool-- WADS. To me, this seems a little more reasonable, no? :mrgreen:
Llama

Post by Llama »

I didn't understand the edit...

I meant that you shouldn't be able to carry more than one wool in a hand.... even in peices... i would make it in 2 hands..

RE: damaged wool... my idea was -> shearing does no harm... but killing the sheep yes
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Seems like shearing has just as much potential to damage wool as jabbing the sheep to a bloody death would. Especially for the unexperienced.

And about the amount of wool again, welll.... I dunno. Sometimes you can stuff a lot of wool into one area if you try hard enough. *GG*.

And the Edit was just an add-on.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

I don't have any sort of opinion on most of these... though most do seem like, as someone pointed out, it's just making more steps to an already tricky crafting system.

However, one the matter of the stackable wool, I did want to point out that I have several *whole* sheepskins... and I can easily carry all nine of them with one arm, if I take a moment to roll them up together. I've always assumed in such games that 'stackable' items have some sort of little container... after all, who would put 20 or so arrows into their bakcpack loose?... thus, I would think, even wool 'wads' would have a little bag or something they went in, easily held with one hand. So I don't see any problem with having stackable wool holdable in one hand. Granted, maybe not 250 sheep's worth, but i think that's going a bit too nitpicky. There's realistic, then there's ridiculous, given that this is all basically programmed and such by volunteers.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

1) Agreed. The "monsterdrop" of sheeps should be changed.
2) I see no benefit (!) in this.
3) Agreed, needs a lot of updates (fighting system, client,...) -> too much effort for too less benefit now.
4) No benefit here, either
5) I totally agree, should be changed asap
6) Agreed, materials will be reviewed
7) In work, almost done

Realism should not reduce the fun and the gameplay. It is of course unrealistic that someone can carry 5 plate mails. But hey, it is a fantasy game with lots of heroes, faeries and demons. Realism, anyone?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:But hey, it is a fantasy game with lots of heroes, faeries and demons. Realism, anyone?
True.. but you dont really get any of them carrying 250 units of ingots in one hand... what do they have? large hands?

I checked, apparently carrying in your hand doesn't make you encumbered
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Show me anyone whose char can carry 250 ignots. I do not believe you. The count is too high. That is an overstatement. :wink:

Some of your points are good. I agree with the drop of items of sheeps (there are more examples) and the composition of some items.

And the general development of the games has the same direction - more realism together with fun and logic. But the situation is not, that everything is unrealistic. You always may find some nonsense if you search good enough.

Apropos, I know very old threads of angry people about the realism. For example an author of one did not understand the reason of a limitation of carrying of items. He really said the game would be unplayable with a general limitation... It was 4-5 years ago. The board has lots of very funny threads :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Lennier wrote:Show me anyone whose char can carry 250 ignots. I do not believe you. The count is too high. That is an overstatement. :wink:
You can place stacked items in one hand... as the limit of stacking is 250, i'm sure you can/... not sure you can walk though
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

No, it is only a theory. There is something called weight limitation. Maybe you can put 250 stacked flowers in your hand, but 250 ignots with a big weight are impossible.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Maybe it is a bug Lennier? Have not tested it myself, but it could be that it does not count the extra things in your hand as weight? :?
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

How much items your char is able to carry depends on the weight and volume of the item. The volume is important for bags.

If the weight and volume are very small, you could put 250 items in a single slot of your belt, of your hands ort of your bag. But if the weight has a moderate high, you would not be able to carry 250 items in any slot of your char.

Maybe the weight of some few items are not balanced. I tested with boards. There is no bug. All slots of your char are included in the weight limitation of your char.

Illarion already has a kind of realism. :wink: Like i said, i believe that it is only an overstatement to say that it would be possible to put 250 ignots in your hand. That is impossible and limited by the weight of the ignots.