Player Graphics

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

NirAntae

Player Graphics

Post by NirAntae »

I was just wondering if there were any plans in the works (I realize they could take a while, just if it's even being worked on) for there to be any sort of customization for the character sprites? Even just being able to change the hair color would be great, let alone their clothes... it's frustrating to see ten human males on one screen and they all look exactly alike, especially if they're standing close to each other so that their names tend to block each other out by overlapping so much. I'm not a script guru, so I have no idea how much work it would entail... I'm just curious. I love this game dearly already, and I think that would tend to make things a good deal easier from time to time... especially if more people start playing.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

In the future yes, but right now, isn't too important.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

There are plans, I can confirm this.

However, we currently have 6 races and 11 different avatars. Some of them -female orc, halfling, dwarf- are rarely choosen. Just a hint for all those who want to have a "unique" avatar ;-)
Thalodos Artemetus

Post by Thalodos Artemetus »

What do you mean, there will be on or 2 avatars for each race for players to select? Different colours or a completely different graphic?

Ty
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Make your character a female dwarf and you have an avatar hardly anyone else has, as there are only two other female dwarves I know. :wink:

It's eleven avatars because it's two genders for each race except lizards.
Thalodos Artemetus

ah yes, i get what you mean, you say there are plans in the making, did you mean to introduce new character sprites? if not, i would be more than happy to alter some things on them, such a s hair colour etc..
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

If the graphics can be altered in a standard program (Paintshop Pro for example) I would be more than happy to sit and fiddle with colorings as well. One of the few things I can do really well. >^.^<
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I guess it's almost simpler, and would surely have better fitting results if the colours are changed directly at the 3D- models and then be re-rendered.
Llama

Post by Llama »

1) This really should be in the graphics area

2) The problem is.. its not just the picture, the animations have to be edited as well, unless the char changes colours when he walks
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:1) This really should be in the graphics area
At your service.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

The animations consist of sixteen individual images for each of the eleven avatars.

Hence changing the models and re-rendering would indeed be the better idea.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

So how would this be done? Acquire the sixteen images for each avatar, re-color each image, then re-render them? And what exactly does 'rendering' entail? (I'm good with PSP, not much else to do with graphics)
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

All avatars are originally 3d-models, posed and animated in a professional 3d-software. These models are "photographed" sixteen times from four different angles and in different stages of animation.
In their original state it's quite easy to change individual colours on the models themselves. Then you make sixteen new images from them all using the new colors.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

So realisticaly it could only be done with someone who had that specific software, preferrably the one who made the original model?

Drat... and I was excited about possibly being able to offer to help out with this game I've come to love so much so quickly... oh well, I'm sure I'll find something I can do to help eventually. :lol:
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Hmm, but wouldn't actually implementing so many models into the client be a problem Adano? Or so I heared. >_>
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

That's technical details. New graphics won't come without a client update anyway, and with the all new client which is in the way the technical stuff might even completely change.
Al'tian

Post by Al'tian »

Well I don't know how much work it would be but the game I played before this had a character creation thing. You would select your race in game and then you could select your hair color, skin color, shirt color, pant color, and boot color (limited selection of course...) Of course this would have to be modified, but maybe when you first log in (for new character) you would select your hair, skin tone, and your beginning clothes, then be able to change your clothes through putting on different shirts in game

The game is open source so you could rummage through the code to see how they do it (yet that wouldn't be the best way :wink: )
martin

Post by martin »

Which game was that?

Martin
Al'tian

Post by Al'tian »

ooo Sorry, it's called Eternal Lands find it at www.eternal-lands.com
Thalodos Artemetus

EL is 3d, could that work?
Al'tian

Post by Al'tian »

I don't know... it is 3d but much more 3d then Illarion... heh yeah the graphics are pretty moderate considering the project was started by one man and his wife (one person does all the graphics or most of em anyways)
Thalodos Artemetus

yeah i know, i used to play when it started, good ol' ent.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

(one person does all the graphics or most of em anyways)
Mostly the deal here too. Illarion isn't 3d, although most of the gfx developers use 3d programs.
Al'tian

Post by Al'tian »

Heh, I played it about 8 months after it started (around October 23rd or so) yep good ol' transparent models :D
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

Just curious, are there any plans to do anything about character descriptions? I know the graphics thing would be hard to implement, but what about !desc <desired description> to program a character's description and #desc to display the description? It gets really frustrating to type 3 lines over and over again whenever a new character enters the screen.
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

LOL you type that same thing over and over agian for Rhi ^_^

Yes i agree with her completly, children characters have to be reconized right away, as it deffinitly altars the RP by great standarts.
Llama

Post by Llama »

What about coding the characters to be smaller? Is it possible?
Devrah Liioness

Hadrian_Abela wrote:What about coding the characters to be smaller? Is it possible?
What on earth would be the point of this? Children grow up, why have them stay short forver? Besides, you wouldnt know if it's a child or a halfing.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The size of the char depends on the age

Size of char = age

width = constant

If the chars age,,, they'll grow up taller...
Devrah Liioness

The age is RP'd. Half the characters dont even know how old they are.