New Text on Melee Combat

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Bloodhearte

New Text on Melee Combat

Post by Bloodhearte »

Here's something I found on wikipedia.org, in the history of martial arts section:

A picture from one of the "earliest surviving texts" regarding 13th century European swordplay. Apparently, even that many centuries ago, somebody sat down and tried to systemize melee combat in such a way to gain the upper hand, and teach others how to fight. This text was written by "I.33."

The manual goes over how to fight using a sword, and buckler. A buckler is something of a smaller shield, fitting just over the hand and part of the forearm, but it isn't used solely for taking blows and preventing cuts - it was used to also "deflect" and misguide attacks, thanks to the smaller size of the defensive tool.

So after seeing this, I thought about something a little cooler for Illarion. There could be a text in the library, called "The Art of Combat," or something along those lines. The book can give hints and tips about how to go about training in fighting, rather than leave newbies in the dark. For example, "Hunters have noted that the flesh of a man also resembles the flesh of a wild pig," or "Sometimes, it's best not to take the initiative when on the defense."

After all, fighting seems to be the most popular thing that characters do.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Been a while since I've seen a good suggestion.