Please help! - What the frell is powergaming?

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Pearlfox

Please help! - What the frell is powergaming?

Post by Pearlfox »

Dearest fellow Illarion members,
Last night, a friend was helping me learn to cast magic. Since there were no enemies around, I was practising on nearby boulders. A few times after casting a spell, I got a message telling me "No powergaming!" Whenever I tried to cast a spell after that, I got the same message! Please help me! I haven't a clue what that is and how *not* to do it, let alone do it!

Thanks so much!
Bror

Please help!

Post by Bror »

For a definition of powergaming see the rules section.
Neikidogg M Inc

Please help!

Post by Neikidogg M Inc »

Pearfox,

You are not allowed to Cast spells on you...That mean Powergaming..And if you cast on you you will die on the spell;)

mfg:Neikidogg[M_Inc]
Pearlfox

Please help!

Post by Pearlfox »

Oh, I see. Thanks, you both! I think I understand now!
Damien

Please help!

Post by Damien »

Neikidog, if you explain something, you should not explain one little fragment of the whole thing. Powergaming is not only casting on oneself.

Powergaming is, to push ones skills as fast as possible. Mostly it is done in a way a real person would never behave.
Powergaming is, for example, hours of training fighting skills with others. All the things your character would not really do, and only serve to max out your skills, are powergaming.
It is NOT the goal of this game to max out all your skills. Roleplaying is the goal of the game, that means to play a role with your character(s), just like an actor does.
KillerX

Please help!

Post by KillerX »

how long is the timeout before we are allowd to cast on ground again after a couple casts?  Like, what's the timeout set to before the "stop powergaming" message goes away after it shows up?  I am having trouble with some char because that rule wasn't there a while ago, and now I can't cast with a couple of my chars...
Neikidogg M Inc

Please help!

@Damien,tell me how to train your magic resstance without casting spells on each other???The monsters dosen't spell on you*g*..

Mfg:Neikidogg[M_Inc]
Pearlfox

Please help!

Post by Pearlfox »

Ooops, sorry if I started an argument! I wasn't trying to build up my character's stats too quickly. I was just practicing, which I thought was okay. (Since I'm a newbie at magic.) I'm glad you guys explained it, and thanks again!
Damien

Please help!

Post by Damien »

We had this diskussion before, the answer is simple :
-Use spells that don't hurt or make you feel bad. Only one for this is cun jus.
-don't try to max your magic resistance. This will come for example during magic fights and duels, IF you manage to survive all.

There will be an other resistance system later. This one is just a testing thing.
Peregrin

Please help!

Post by Peregrin »

hmmmmm
cun jus DOES hurt... at least it hurts me, don't know how you Elves do it :)
Neikidogg M Inc

Please help!

all spells hurt you (not the mes,pen) and you can't train your magic resstance without spelling spells on each other;)

mfg:Neikidogg[M_Inc]