halfling

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

martin

halfling

Post by martin »

does anybody know (or even have) a good picture of a halfling? i just have rough ideas of how they look like. a pic as motivation would be very nice...

besides, i'd like to know if someone could imagine a noticable physiological difference between male and female lizard"man" ;).
i just painted one, and i can't determine wether it is male or female, so i thought of using just one pic for both. (however, if you see real lizards, you can't determine the that too..)

martin
Galdriel

halfling

Post by Galdriel »

well  hmm   assuming they lay eggs, there normally wouldnt be need for the usuall physical attributes <g>

but why not make them anyway  :-))
martin

halfling

Post by martin »

uhm, well, maybe you had something more important to do in your biology-lessons.... ;)
(just eggs alone won't be enough for a new creature). but i won't create another lizardman; lizardman and woman look like the same. that's the rule of nature - well, nature, created by the rules of martin ;)

me
Silversmith

halfling

Post by Silversmith »

I can scan a picture of a halfling for a AD&D book if you whould like and then send it via email if i can get it to work.  Otherwise they look like a dwarf.  Only you make them smaller and lighter.  Not phisicaly strong they can be pretty fleat of foot.  A minuture human might serve for their appearance as well.
martin

halfling

Post by martin »

after doing some research (reading through the first chapter of the lord of the rings, asking google about his knowledge, ... ;) ) i'd say:
* small (about the length of a dwarf)
* more slim than dwarfs
* mostly brown hair
* hairy hands and feet
* NO shoes

any wishes what they should wear? (and: send your scan to: e9525060@stud3.tuwien.ac.at  thank you!)

martin
Bror

halfling

Post by Bror »

I think they are not slimer than dwarves - they eat 5 warm meals a day, so they are fat and with round, red cheeks. If the size is not the same as the dwarf (to have a few pixels to fit the graphics in), it should be slightly smaler than dwarves.

The cloth should be bright and colorful, perhaps just trousers and a shirt.
martin

halfling

Post by martin »

i'd suggest to read LoTR again, where tolkien states (iirc) that they aren't as sturdy as dwarves are.
"Denn sie sind kleine Leute, kleiner noch als Zwerge: das heißt, weniger stämmig und kräftig, obwohl sie es in der Länge eigentlich mit ihnen aufnehmen könnten." (J.J.R. Tolkien, Der Herr der Ringe, Band I, Die Gefährten, Einführung 1, "Über Hobbits") ;)

noch irgendwelche fragen? *g*
ich mach sie ein wenig schmaeler, damit sie sich unterscheiden. und ich gebe ihnen mit absicht *keine* ruestung, sondern "normales" gewand, allerdings werd ich ihnen eine axt in die hand druecken, wenns passt.
ist aber zukunftsmusik, ich komm wohl erst am wochenende dazu.

martin
Bror

halfling

Post by Bror »

What about giving them a bag on their side and a sling or some stones in their hand?

It is also writen in "THE BOOK" that they are masters in targeting with throwing stones. (I have no copy of "THE BOOK" handy, but I recall it is written there :-) )
martin

halfling

Post by martin »

np.

just tell me how big the stones should be. and - what kind of bag?

martin
Captain Kirk

halfling

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hallo

"Sie sind (oder waren)kleine Leutchen etwa halb so gross wie wir,kleiner noch als die lang bärtigen Zwerge. Hobbits haben keine Bärte.... Sie werden oft ein wenig rund um die Leibesmitte und kleiden sich in helle Farben (vor allem Grün und Gelb).
Schuhe tragen sie nicht, weil ihnen an den Füssen natürliche Ledersohlen und ein dichter brauner Pelz wachsen, ähnlich wie das Kraushaar auf ihren Köpfen. Sie haben lange und geschickte braune Finger, gutmütige Gesichter und eine tiefe, saftige lache (besonders nach dem Mittagessen, das sie am liebsten zweimal täglich einnehmen)."
J.R.R Tolkien "Der Hobbit oder Hin und zurück"

ich hoffe das schafft ein wenig klarheit ;-)

Bye
Read ya
MfG

Capt. Kirk
Erdrick

halfling

Post by Erdrick »

Just scan Bilbo and get it over with :)
They are small, round, cheery and fast.
Having a bowl of soup in the left hand would be a nice touch, and they could be nice bakers.
Hmmmm... heh heh. ;)

Erdrick
Captain Kirk

halfling

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hallo

better no weapons
but a ring ;-)

Bye
Read ya
MfG

Capt. Kirk
Erdrick

halfling

Post by Erdrick »

Uh, the ring would turn him invisible.
What if he gets mad? He could sneak up behind us and get us! Whoa, thats scary. :)
Their skin is a white, but much darker than female human.
I hope to see what they look like soon.

Erdrick
Sword

halfling

Post by Sword »

In my opinion i think they should be like dwarves.
small pudgy and should have brown hair.
maybe they carry a small dagger,peasant type clothes.
and maybe a girl one will have long black hair carry a staff and a bit taller than a man halfling.same clothes and a pair of sandals.:)
Sword

halfling

Post by Sword »

AS for the lizard man it should carry a wand or a club.
A  female lizardman should carry a knife and wear red or light green scales(skin). and it should also be able to learn how to lay eggs.thats just a thought;)

(Edited by Sword at 1:00 am on Mar. 11, 2001)
Erdrick

halfling

Post by Erdrick »

This topic is for halflings, not lizardmen, sword.
Anyway, the egg-laying idea is not only stupid but its
unfair. What special attribute do males get? Huh? Huh?
And what would those eggs do? Not for cooking!
The lizards should be able to have GFX for when they have a cloak on. That would look cool :)
Sword

halfling

Post by Sword »

i think a halfling is a elemental type person.
but i think they are a peasant type also.
so i think they should still have peasant clothes and sandals.
they should carry a dagger or an item like that.
if you ever have read the Hobbit or that series then you should have a pretty good idea of what
a halfling is.
the same idea as erdrick had.;)
Dax

halfling

Post by Dax »

Just remeber no one actually knows what a"hobbit" or "Dragon" or anything of the sort actuallylooks like. It's all made up. You base what you think they look like by your own perception so don't put down others who do the same ok?
Sword

halfling

Post by Sword »

well you can start by getting a good idea.
thats how many things are invented and stuff.
all just good ideas.
so using the book the hobbit is a choice.
its just an idea to help the game.