Clairette's Diary

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Clairette

Clairette's Diary

Post by Clairette »

23. Ushos 62

I found myself on the ground, sunlight blinding me, cold wind blowing softly on my face and hair. The air smelled of snow, plants, and food from the neaby market stands. There was a noise, leaves moving in the trees, traders talking and shouting out advertisements for their wares. And on top of all these impressions screaming at my mind I heard steps approaching me and a woman's voice said in friendy tone and human language: "Hello there." The woman who spoke was young, small with long brown hair and blue eyes. She had a pink flower in her hair.
I replied a geeting to buy me some time, but to see anything I had to cover my eyes from the sun with my hand. The human noticed this and asked: "Oh? Does the light blind you?". It was very obvious it did, so I admited that it indeed hurt my eyes. The human woman went on talking about things like making sure I was alright and welcomed me to the City of Galmair when I asked about my whereabouts. The human woman offered to show me a way inside away of the sunlight, which I suspected to be trap. So, I grabbed my dagger from my belt. I lost pracement and quill I was holding, but the dagger was more important to me in that moment. It scared the human and made me feel save.

At least until a human man walked up and said: "Lady Elf, drop you dagger please." Unlike the woman, he looked less like a child/adolecent, he was tall. His hair had a golden color and his eyes were blueish. For a man his behavior showd a lot of selfconfidence when talking to a woman. It was confusing or rather quite unsetteling. The woman told me her name: Amelia, she also called the man Bidukan.Both the human man and the human woman insisted that I put my dagger away. I insited I had not heard their impossible and impudent demand. Complying to this would have left me without a protection.
Finally the man, who called himself a knight ordered me to drop the dagger and at my refusal he drew his sword, while the woman tried to sweettalk me into giving the weapon away. The man told me to leave the town, and as I did not want to fight him - well honestly I have to admit it was more fear for myself, than pitty for him - I decided to comply and leave this strange place. So, I ordered them to show me the way out of their town or city as they called it. Instead of allowing me to keep my mask up and leave with pride, these humans than insisted that they'd not take orders from me!
The man even called me a jester! Me, a noble elf from of the house of Liakir, me who is head of the house, matriach so to say and rightful ruler over the white stone caves!
It was the first time I was insulted in Galmair and many other times would follow... I was speechless, I must have made a funny poicture opening snd closing my mouth like a fish.

Than, by lucky incedent their and mine attention was drawn to the paper I still held in my other hand.I have no clue how it got there. The last memories of home are quite blurry and of greate haste. The man could not read it, the woman neither. She could tell it was signed but hardly readable, to her the text seemed to be written in elven language, but the symboles beneath were arcane letters or maybe even ancient runes. The human woman, named Amelia assumend that someone gave it to me.

The imprudent man named Bidukan dared to call me by my frist name! I told him to adress me as "Lady Clairette", since I guessed that might be the most fitting title in their language.
Somehow we agreed that I could keep the dagger and stay in town. The human woman showed me the kitchen, where a fire was burning and it was not as cold as outside. Still, it was bright there, too. I fell over the doorstep whwn entering the building, the woman gave me my dagger back instead of trying to stab me with it. There was another woman there, she was tall and wore leather clothes, Amelia addressed her as Wynter. The human woman called Amelia was acting friendly and showed she knew her status and mine. She pulled the chair for me, offered me food and called me M'Lady. Her behavior was helping me to calm down a bit, although I usually never had human servants that close to me. While the human woman went to fetch some food and drink for me, I could watch a goup of people gather around the table in the guard room, where a depot chest is located. I did not know back than, but that's usually the sport where people of all races gather, talk and trade. I insisted that Amelia tried the drink she brougth me first. It could have been poisioned. Amelia also made me food at the fireplace. She grilled rabbit with vegetables and told me a bit about the town. The woman called Wynter did soon return, holding a hammer of sorts and impudently stood behind me. I scolded her, that I don't want people with weapons standing in my back.

Also, I ordered both of the women to sit down at my table. A kind gestrue to show them that I was thankful and something I would never had allowed myself to do, if others like me had been around. The gossip would last centuries. I expected the human women to feel honored and to display some gratitude, but instead the human woman named Wynter simply said: "Nope, I don't trust elves." and refused to sit where I told her to. I was speechless for a few seconds, she clearly did not get what kind of honor that I was offering her. She insisted she was wild and free and would takes noone's orders. I told her to be wild and free elsewhere and not not behind my back while I was about to start to eating.

Finally she sat at the bench near the barrles in the kitchen and I could focus on my meal a little - that is after Amelia tried the food for me. But the woman called Wynter stared at me while I was eating. I do not't like being stared at by others, especially not by thoses below me. They should look to the floor, and wait until someone talks to them. Really, I'm not use to such behavior.
So we stared to argue again, and clumsy as I was I lost the fork. It fell down to the floor Amelia picked it up. Wynter said, she was unsure if I was a friend and a foe, I replied that I would not be a foe, if she stopped staring. She even went so far to try to threaten me, that I should not hurt Amelia. Absurd idea, to hurt the woman who just brought me some food, and that seemed to be the only person around that knew how to and tried to behave properly towards me.
Amelia explained people were protective towards her since she did not know how to fight. It was such an absurd thing to say! After I mocked her for still beliving in fairytales, I realized that she was still really, really young. And she really was beliving her words about trust and listening to one's heart and such nonsense! The Wynter woman was not much older. No wonder they were acting so rude, they were all still children. Quite a shocking observation! Amelias pouting face, though, made me laught. Never I had seen such a funny thing.

But the topic soon shifted to serious, as they warned me about a person called Jefferson Gray, an undead. And that I should keep away from them, since they were dangerous. Wynter also told me rudely to stop being arrogant. Again I had to practice patience, for I had no means to have her punished for such boldness. Like so many times befor that day I said, I would pretend not to notice this missbehavior shown towards me. Wynter than tried to tell me about town ranks, but I was not ready or willing to accept anything about these concepts. My mind was to busy with looking out for threats and foes, and handeling all these new impression around me, trying to make sense. Especially I was on the lookout for that orcess that hobbeled by a few times, she was unnerving.

She soon walked up on us three talking and demanded to know what created respect in my eyes. I told her it was family linage. Honor, trust and friendship are just phrases. That made Wynter angry and Amelia left. The orcess said she would look the other way, should Wynter choose to start a fight with me. With me! How dare she, well... anyhow she did. I refused to hit her, I said I would not hit children - and I really don't unless there is no other way. The behavior Wynter displayed had been quite childlike, but her fist really did hurt! I fell to the floor and hit my head on a chair. No one had ever dared to hit me with a fist in my face! I think I lost my mask, touched my face, showing I felt hurt, weak and confused, before I pulled myself together and stood. The orcess said in Galmair people learn fast and that this would obviously not count for me. I did not speak up to disagree. They shall underestimate me, it's surley better for me this way.
I shall not forget to mention that Wynter that day spoke an insult for which I shall take crule revenge when the time is right. She insulted my family, my house and it hurt, because it was almost true, when she said: "Your so fine family linage is like the shit under my boats here, worth nothing."

Than an elfess showed up, from my behavior she suspected I could be drunk, and at first I thought I should try to play along to buy me some time. But when I reaced for my dagger, the orcess pointed her wand at me. She, too, dared to threaten me. By that time even more people started to gather in the room. The orcess requested my name. I told her, I won't tell and that her concern is amusing and that I do not care what she thinks about me, which she pointed out was something I'd better do, since she was the towns Shaman. She demanded me to pay respect. Which of course, I refused.
A few moment later flames made of ice where flying towards me, stinging cold. On top of that, they made the ground slippery so, that I fell and slided on the kitchen floor before I could even approach the orcess and attack with that rediculous/pathetic/useless dagger of mine. To make the humiliation complete I also lost the weapon and the orcess gave it back to me.

The orcess, who called herself a shaman asked me why I came to this place. Oh Anchestors, I did not know what to say for I did not know the answer myself! She asked me if I like to stay, in the town of Galmair and I did not refuse. The orcess also introduced herself as Sarangerel. I told her my name, Clairette. She really demanded respect, so my last name surely would not be of interest to her, and she did not ask either. The elfess who was still around also said she'd keep an eye on me and another human woman, with a nice feather hat and feckles showed up and gave me some more food. Food that I did not dare to eat because it could be poisioned.

I sat at the bench in the guardroom, watching all these creatures, humans and orc, pale elves passing by or talking, doing what strange this they to, and I must have fallen asleep that while watching as fatigue got the best of me.
Clairette

Re: Clairette's Diary

Post by Clairette »

04. Siros 62

At night or very, very early on that day, I went outside and looked around. I saw small, feathered two legged animals near the fields outside of the town, they were as I later would learn called 'chicken'.

About noon I met the human woman called Amelia, who was gathering berries. She carried a basket inside which she collected the small colourful fruits. She also had a sickle attached to her belt, a sickle is a tool that can be used to collect herbs that grow on the surface world. She told me that humans work during day time, when the sun is up. In my home, the white stones caves, we don't have day or night. No sunlight finds it way far below the surface, so it's always nice and dark there. Amelia was a bit curious about my home, so I told her about the caves, and that I got the impression that people like Amelia call people like me 'drow'. Back than, I did not realize how much trouble the usage of the word 'drow' would cause me. I admit it was short sighted to assume I could simply go and call myself a 'drow' and stay unchallenged in place full of humans or worse orcs and elves.

I ordered Amelia to show me to Galmair's town library so that I could do research. I felt quite at lack of intel about this place, the realm and creatures living there, so research seemed reasonable. Except for a dwarf that would occasionally talk to himself the library was a quite place,empty of people and filled with several rows of bookshelves. Emerging myself in the books - even though some topics were strange or weird- helped me to calm down a little.

Later, about evening, I met Fergro and Mirai. First I ran against a chair, and than I fell over my beloved doorstep of the guardroom. I still do and it hurts every time. The attention of the halfling, a very small and slender creature with light brown hair, and those of the elfess at the depot were drawn towards me, as I'd just fallen into the room. I was carrying my dagger around - of course. They showed concern, asking if I was alright. The elfess who had long, silver colored hair even addressed me in elvish language, her accent sounded strange and all-wrong in my ears. Still, I was alarmed as she reached for her staff. The halfling, called me 'Miss', something I scolded him for. So, that sassy creature wondered if I'd prefered to be called 'Mister' instead. The elfess on the other hand refused to follow my order and put the staff away. All in all not a good situation - for me. I even introduced myself, but it did not make them do what I said. Both were confused why I would have a dagger in my hands. The halfling assumed quite right that I had it because the elfess had a staff in her hands. Of course admitting that would have implied I feared her, so I lied to him saying that this was not the reason why I was holding the weapon. That lead to further assumptions why I had the weapon on the halfling's side such as: "Are the guards after you?! You didn't get caught stealing from the Don did you" or "Um.. you did say you had the dagger out to defend yourself...and we are in the guard room... I thought perhaps there might have been a misunderstanding". I choose to ignore the topic.

I learned that the elfess was called Mirai Belisai and Scholar of the Magic Academy of Lor Angur - wherever that might be. The halfling was called Fergro. I demanded that they tell me a story, for my research had not lead to the desired results and I know that stories are often used to teach or transport concepts to others. Fergo misunderstood and expected me to tell him a story! He said quite happily:"If you have any stories about history that would be great!" I told him in cold words:"I ordered you to tell me a story - not the other way around." And he replied he'd only take orders from Oxi or Bidukan. Well I had heard the name Bidukan before! I was surprised and asked:"You take orders from that sassy Knight? He can give orders?" and Fergro explained: "I've heard him described as many things but "sassy" is definitely new". Our discussion lead nowhere, I got the impression the elfess and the hallfing were mocking me, and I also realized that there was nothing I could do about it. Unless I would have wanted some blood spilled on the floor and that would certainly cause even more trouble for me than their words.

Bidukan, the human man just entered the room, shortly after his name was spoken. Also an elfess named Inara went inside to join us. She seemed to be young, she had dark hair and a streak of white hair on her forehead. Mirai and Fergro were still trying to figure out about my home realm. The silver haired elfess asked me: "Your city is not by chance dug deep under a mountain?" I explained that it be certainly better placed deep down under a mountain than on top of it. Think of all the horrible sunlight! Than the halfling Fergro peeked around Inara to better look at me, he asked again why I'd still have the dagger out. "Why wouldn't I, curious tiny human?" I said, for I never had met a halfling before and just thought him to be a very small human. He quickly pointed out that mistake and told me he had pointy ears just like I have. Mirai began mocking me again, comparing my manners to those of dwarven folk, since my kin and dwarves both life underground. It might be that all that lives underground is the same for those who live above in the sunlight, but the impression stayed that she and the halfling were making fun of me. So I raised my voice and exclaimed that I would not tolerate being compared to a dwarf and that the halfling who just made that comparison should beg for pardon. Instead he suggested we'd sit down and eat and drink - what a strange creature! I would have liked to eat something, I was hungry, so I said:"I'll drink what you drink, but I won't share a table with any of you." The halfling proofed to be unknowledgeable about table manners as he asked: "Why not? Have you not bathed in awhile?" The elfess called Inara who had come to talk to Mirai, than spoke to me after taking a breath: "Now...to you... I do not know, where you came from and it doesn't matter here. We are all equal. It doesn't matter which race we belong to. If this does not get into your mind...go." Her words were bold. I confirmed, if I understood her request correctly: "You want me to treat you like one of my kind?" The halfling hurried to explain: "No we want you to treat us like we treat you, one of our kind." Both was - of course- out of question for me! There is no way that I'll let myself be treated like one of them, neither shall I treat them like one of my kind. I guess, we could have had that discussion go on for some more centuries, but Bidukan returned and scolded his squire, that is the halfling Fergro, who was just putting goblets on the table. The knight said, he should go to work and gather coal from the mine.

Accompanying the human man was a creature that reminded me much of a dragon. These creatures are called lizard, they are covered in scales, they can talk and walk on two legs and they are like nothing I've ever seen - besides their slight resemblance of dragons. Her or his name was Zelphyra. Inara than insisted: "Would you please put your weapon away?" I replied: "No, I won't". She wanted to know the reason, so I told her that I do not trust her. That made the halfling chuckle and he said: "She needs to defend herself in the guard room..." and Zelphyra pointed out, that a shield would be better for protection than a dagger. Well, no need to say this lizard had a point there, right?

For whatever reason Bidukan decided he could offer me a job. He said he could pay me money if I'd help carry coal from the mines. Well, I did not understand the concept of jobs, money and all these things that go with them back when. The human knight tried to explain. He said: "You will need coins for living, Clairette." and his halfling squire added: "You do the work you get the coin that's please and thank in hard currency." Bidukan asked me what things I was good doing at. I told him I was good at playing harp. He took a breath and asked:"And something more....common...? Like a kind of crafting?" I think, I just stared at him for a moment. Who did he think I was? The human man went on asking: "Maybe you cook?". I reminded him calmly: "I a am a noble. I do not cook." Bidukan pointed out that he knew, but that there were no nobles in Galmair. Everyone was equal here. I couldn't help but make a disapproving sound. Than he explained to me how live in Galmair worked and what role money played for living this live. It seems that everyone is equal in Galmair, because everyone has to pay money for their expenses - that is food, clothes, a roof above their head and so on-, and that means they all have to work to gain that money in some way. If you've never lived such a life, it sounds absurd. On the other hand should you be used to such a live only, you might hardly imagine any other way of living your live.

Bidukan also mentioned something of great importance to me: "Coins can pay swords." I shall gather lots and lots of coins to set up/raise an army and have them fight for me. I shall reclaim the house of Liakir. Amelia, the human woman just showed up, so I asked her about how people live in Galmair, she more or less said the same as Bidukan. So I assumed he had said the truth, when he told me:"Thing is....you have to work.". Than the human man asked if I knew how to swing a blade. "Of course I do!" I hissed. "Don't insult me, human!" He didn't look like he believed me, though. So I glared at him. Glaring did not help to change his mind, but he said: "If you have some talent for combat, I could even take you as my page. Why not? It would make me happy to have a new page." I felt this was downright insulting. Me? A page to a man? To a human? "Why would I want to be page of a human knight anyway?" I asked and told him to stop mocking me. But, the words he than spoke made me clutch at a straw to save me. He simply answered: "Because I can pay you and protect you." Again I asked Amelia to confirm. And than I threw myself to the ground in front of the Knight, and offered him my dagger and asked to be his page - well, I'd like to say I did, instead I stumbled over my own feet, lost the dagger and asked to be his page."Please accept me as you page!" were my words, but my thoughts were: "It's not like I trust any of them, but if I make myself useful they'll protect me".

Well, Bidukan went away with my dagger, I simply stood in the guard room waiting. It was quite unpleasant, unnerving. What would happen now? I had no clue. I could observe the people at the depot box chatting. Amelia was there as well as a man called Drathe and the elfess Inara. The man played quite a nice trick on her. I thought that maybe, one day I could try to play a trick on him, too. Also the way he was talking to Amelia was something I'd rarely seen or heard. It looked like they enjoyed it.

Bidukan, now my knight and superior, returned, and he and Fergro showed me the mine. It's a place where people gather ores by hitting stones with pickaxes. It is dusty, dark and full of stones inside. The way to the mine is a tunnel, that was unfortunately lit with touches. I liked the mine for that it is dark inside, but the dusty air and the narrow tunnels are not so much of my taste, let alone the work! I just watched and helped to carry stones, but I saw Fergro using a pickaxe.

The man called Darthe had to work for Amelia as punishment since he tried to trick her. After that he seemed to be hungry, so I tried to feed him a cookie to see if they are poisoned or not. But he took the cookie and walked away! Bidukan and Amelia tried to convince me that no one in town would try to poison me. Bidukan gave me a basket with food and Amelia gave me a bag full of clothes. She even asked for my favourite colour - bright blue. While Knight Bidukan went to make me a wooden practise sword, Amelia and me talked a bit. She assured me, she was not dangerous and could not harm anyone. I told her she was careless saying such things loud for people would take advantage of it. It fits Amelia's crude views, that Bidukan gave me a the practice sword and shield with the words:"May you never raise your sword against the weak ones."

Amelia and Bidukan took me to Cadomyr to make me an armour of out leather, so for the first time I saw the desert realm. Taking a step trough the portal, suddenly, there was lots and lots the sand around the teleporter that stood in the shadow of huge castle walls. The sun was burning much brighter, and one could hear the sound of the river from far away. The smell of warm dry air tingled in my nose. These were my first impressions of Cadomyr.

The strong sunlight was a problem for me, so Amelia made me a veil from dark cloth to lessen the pain of my eyes. Bidukan also gave me money. I think it was a lot, but back then I just saw that the pouch was filled with coins. Amelia showed me around a bit, but soon she went to work on the armour and I walked around the town on my own. The small houses and walls looked different from Galmair, the plants with large orange fruits also seem to grow only in Cadomyr. In Cadomyr people build a temple to honour loyalty and love. These customs are very, very stage to me.

Amelia and me went back to Galmair where Bidukan was waiting for us. We met the silver haired elfess Mirai and the one handed orcess Sarangerel, Shaman of Galmair and the elven girl Inara. Mirai teased me, she called me 'tame like a goat all of the sudden'. It was embarrassing having her say so, I bet I blushed. I could not help but to grid my teeth, and clench a fist, at the Mirai's pricing words. Still, I could say nothing against it, so I just looked down. These words hurt so much, because they were true. But, this was the role, I had chosen for me in order to gain protection.

The orcess Sarangerel had authority in her position as shaman or as oldest person around, she tried to stop the argument about me being in town and being a page. Mirai did not like this, while Amelia and Bidukan did speak up for me. Sarangerel explained to me, that she takes care of the towns security and regarded me as a threat the first time we met. Also, she mentioned a group of cultists that trouble the town of Galmair, she thought me to be on their side, but concluded otherwise. She pointed out to me:"You got problems different from those I feel invested in right now.", and she offered me shamanic support. Back than it just sounded stage, yes, even ridiculous to assume that I would need this kind of support from an orc. But I admit later I gladly came back to her offer. The orcess also told us that she formed a group of mercenaries to battle against a pirate siege. And that she was the leader of said militia. I started at her, eyes wide in surprise and asked in disbelieve if she had really could have done this as an orc. And she simply said: "No, as an Commander."

Bidukan and I went to the kitchen and Amelia and the Shaman Sarangerel would have a private talk - chances are it was more about shamanic or religious topics than the security issues of the town. The small table with the depot box inside the guardroom was there I met the Countess of Cadomyr Katharina Brightrim for first time. I scolded her for staring at me and hissed at the woman:"Who allowed you to stare at me?", before Bidukan could warn me that she was a noble from the town of Cadomyr. I thought that she would demand my head for such an insult. I turned pale in fear and hurried to apologize. The human woman simply chuckled and said:'Excuse me?' She also pointed out that if a title changes how I treat people, I should reconsider the first approach in general. I did not really understand what she meant, I understood all her words, but it didn't make any sense to me.

The countess told me that I didn't have to look down, and that times in which humans punished each other for looking at nobles or handing out food in their presence were over. I never had heard that humans did such things. The humans or other people in these realm, can be happy to live in times that allow them to look at nobles, whenever they want. Where I am from, you do not look at people of higher status - regardless noble or not - unless ordered to do so. It is a very dangerous thing to draw attention to you.

While we were talking a tall human woman, with very pale skin and long, very black hair came to the depot, Bidukan introduced her to me as Eleanor, a priestess of some mistress. Also I learned from the Countess that nobility in Cadomyr is something granted by the Queen and not directly based on family linage. Yasna, the young elfess, I met in the kitchen on the day of my arrival in Galmair, also came and she said that I acted like I was titled that last time we met. I told her, that I did not act like it, but that I was indeed a noble of the house of Liakir. And Yasna said she doubted that drow titles would work here in Galmair - guess what? - by that time I had also realized that much. Soon I would simply not give my last name and house name any more, since it does not matter to these people around and as long as I don't tell, I don't have to expect them to treat me like a noble. If I would, it would only hurt my pride.

Bidukan and me did practise fighting near the fields outside of Galmair. I was quite clumsy, I still can say I tried my best. I think the training was okay, until my knight asked me why I left my home. My hands started shaking for no reason and holding the practise sword was almost to much as I thought back on the day I left my home by accident. Bidukan said I would have to explain why I came here to the Don, so I am not mistaken for one of the town's enemies. So far only the shaman asked me why I came here and no one insisted on a lengthy explanation.

After the training I went to sleep in Galmair's inn the first time. The bed felt comfortable, probably because I was very exhausted from the long day, all these new impressions and the fighting training. I slept like a stone - and no one stabbed me.
Last edited by Clairette on Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clairette

Re: Clairette's Diary

Post by Clairette »

07. Siros 62 - Baking Bread is dangerous

I looked around town, read more books and talked to some traders. In short: Too much sunlight and too many new impressions. I found my knight Bidukan at the workshop creating something from wood by using a hammer and some nails. I observed him working for quiet a while, failing to figure out what he was producing. It was fascinating seeing someone create something, observing all the single steps that in the end lead to a result, from some boring wooden boards, and nails to a useful tool. Before finishing his work, though Knight Bidukan broke the hammer. He turned and saw me standing at the door. I felt caught. It's bad to spy on your superiors and let them notice you did... The human didn't get angry though, nor he scolded me.

Bidukan told me to help him, he and gave me gems to cut at a grinder - a large tool with a wheel-like stone that peels the raw gems into sparkling real gems. I failed to cut and beautify any of the red stones he gave me. In the end I think he was disappointed and I felt horrible. He asked me if I preferred to work in the mines. I said, I did. It was no lie. Knight Bidukan did not seem to believe it, and well, he knows better than I do what working in a mine really is like. Back at the depot box that decorates the middle of the marketplace, the man looked up to the sky and said with a hint of desperation:"Malachin, send a me signal about what can her be good for." I had no idea back than that he was addressing his god. Next, Knight Bidukan asked me about my gods, and I told him we do worship our ancestors.

Than the human woman Amelia walked over towards us, she waves and said in a friendly voice: "Good Morning!". Bidukan and Amelia talked about that I should learn cooking and that he would create the tools needed. Amelia even asked me, if I wanted to learn cooking - I don't think I cared what I was to learn, as long as I could prove myself useful. I told her careful and calmly: "I will try to learn whatever I'm told to learn." - I suspected a trap. And the woman replied: "You can speak open to me...". I whispered to her, that I'd appreciate if she teaches me cooking - it was not a lie better I fail Amelia and Knight Bidukan, than to fail Bidukan twice, I thought. Amelia answered:"It will be my pleasure" and gave me a smile. I think, that's when I foolish as I was stared to hope that I could make myself useful learning cooking. Amelia said she'd also teach me farming, because the things that are produced from farming are than made to food with cooking.

While Bidukan was preparing the tools for farming and cooking, I gave Amelia the berries I collected for her. We began out cooking lesson in the kitchen, with picking the right tools - a peel and a bucket. A peel is a flat wooden board with a small stick to hold it. A bucket is a bucket. I filled the buckets with water ans spilled some onto me and the floor. Amelia held out a towel for me. I just stared at it, not understanding she wanted me to wipe off the puddle on the floor, until she explained me I what she wanted me to do. Oh I felt embarrassed! And Bidukan just came back when I was kneeling at the floor trying to collect the water with that towel. I would have like the ground to open up and hide me - or better take me back to the ice lake and white stone caves. After mopping up the puddle, next problem arose -what to do with a wet cloth? I gave it back to Amelia, who wrung it and hung it over the well’s brim to dry.

She also told me not to worry about Bidukan, she said he was patient. Is it funny that a human has to tell an one of my kin about patience? Well, where I am from patience is not unknown. It is useful for schemes and plots against competitors, former allies and foes. Or when waiting for a good moment if you have to beg your superiors for something - but it rarely goes the other way round form higher ups to lesser ones. Scold and punishment on the other had go downwards fast like water a river, while patience is like a ponderously, languid fish swimming upwards.

Amelia asked:"You never had to do such work, am I right?" and I nodded. I never had to do work like filling buckets or cleaning a floor from puddles. She also said:"You were a noble... I understand that. But you will soon find out it has some benefits to know how to do things" About these benefits back than I did not understand what she meant. At her remark about having been noble I just whispered:”I still am.”, trying hard to not think about what brought me here and what I'd lost. Being noble I refused at first to wear a apron, but being able to learn, I soon agreed to wear one.

The human asked me about my eyes as I had walked against a chair again. She wondered if they'd get better over time - while my eyes did not get that much better by now I just remember where there are chairs to not walk into them. While Amelia was milling grain and I watches, she asked why my kind lives underground, I said I assume it's because of the sun. There are other legends, though. But I did not feel like sharing these with her. Her question puzzled me a bit, I mean, it's like my kin has always underground, it's the best place for us to be. So I asked Amelia in return:”Who don't humans live underground?” and she explained that human needed sunlight to survive . This might be why the few human salves we had at home always looked so sickly, compared to those on the surface. Amelia said she was curious because I was elven and other elves hate being underground - well, probably because we live there and we don't want them around?

The flour made me sneeze, and she said:'bless you', it is apparently something that people say is you sneeze.

The elfess Mirai entered the room, she seems thinking, pondering and a bit amused at the same time. She spoke about Wynter whom she'd like to turn into a rat and I hissed when hearing that name for my anger about her insult to my house and my name was still fresh. Mirai said she'd put that Wynter rat into a small cage. Amelia suggested to turn Wynter into a sheep, for that would be more useful - I didn't know for what purpose creatures called sheep are useful for. And I asked Mirai to kick the wynter-rat for me. Than Mirai asked me what we'd do to rats in our caves. Well, first let me say, that I never saw a living rat in my home. But I know they are fed to goblins or sometimes used to torture prisoners. Mirai was disgusted at that, it showed on her pale face and she remarked: "So the tale is true... with the rats and the buckets..". I shrugged and tried to change the topic, and fortunately Amelia explained, she was pretty sure she wouldn't want to hear more about torture or rats. I agreed that she wouldn't want to hear more. So, we talked about baking and cooking and she showed me the oven. It looks like a tiny stone house. Mirai left us.

In a bowl Amelia prepared dough, by mixing flour water and a little bit of salt. I tried, too, but in the end the flour went everywhere not just in the bowl. It covered the floor, my clothes, Amelia and even at the roof of the oven house I saw some white flour spots. Amelia thought that it was a good sign, she said:'Now you look like a true baker!' and it surprised me so much I poured half a cup of water on my knee instead of into the bowl. And than I also put to much salt into the mixture, so Amelia had to add more water and flour to it to make the ratio fit again. She than showed me how much a pinch of salt is. And lectured me that salt is a strong and expensive spice. I thought I had failed and the dough was bad and uneatable now, but Amelia saved it. Than Amelia instructed me to make new dough, and this time I did better. Soon the mixture became sticky and it was hard to from it into little bread roll shaped lumps, like Amelia did. So Amelia rolled the mixture up to a large roll and used a knife to cut it. She had made lots of small lumps form one large dough roll that way. Me, I almost cut my finger with the knife in my hands that were sticky from dough. Amelia smiled a lot and often told me to be careful and take more time. I tried, but somehow every step I tried to rush again - rushing without any aim ahead and any need to rush. I might have unconsciously trying to be busy enough to keep my mind from pondering about past events or it was the shock that made me rush. I can't tell, I don't know...
"So now can I throw it into the oven?" I asked looking at the little disfigured dough bread rolls I had formed. Amelia shouted: “No no no” and told me to watch what she would do. That the woman put a bread loaf on the peel and used the tool to place it in the oven. Amelia told me that if the dough is too sticky and refuses to go off the peel or from there you put it onto onto the peel you use flour. So I put flour on top on the dough and I placed on the peel. Amelia explained that the flour has to go between peel and dough. The bread baking in the oven soon started to smell nice and tasty.
Than I placed a bread roll in the oven, all by myself and without burning my fingers - I was so proud I forgot to take the peel out. Amelia gabbed it. 'You still need this.', she said when handing it back to me.
I asked Amelia to tell me a story. I was still trying to understand the thoughts about loyalty, friendship and such things that seems to be important to the surface people or at least to these people in Glamair and Cadomyr. But Amelia had to go to the depot in the guard room to fetch more grain to mill it to flour. Meanwhile other people had gathered around the table with the gold coloured chest to talk and exchange things. I paid them little attention.

So, when Amelia was away I tried to form a little figure out of dough. Bread rolls just looked plain boring. I tried to change that and I would have succeed, but Amelia came back and I didn't hear her. Accidentally she scared me and I dropped the peel. I hissed at her:"Don't sneak up on me like that!''. And while Amelia praised me that I was so focused upon work, I, inside my head, saw myself getting stabbed because I wouldn't notice an assault on time. The human woman tried to assure me I was safe in Galmair and that people here stood together, I just stared at her unable to reply. I felt a bit sorry for her, in my eyes she was a naive child with childish trust in others that would get her bitterly hurt sooner or later.

I picked up dough and peel from the ground and asked Amelia if I should throw them in the fire. She confirmed and so I did. Just in that moment Amelia exclaimed:”Not the peel!” But the tool had already found it's way into the oven's flames. Amelia made a little sigh. I asked: "Shall I take it out?", while secretly I was hoping to not have to do so, but Amelia said:'Got another one?'. I looked at her for a moment, considering to refuse. Than I thought better, I gritted my teeth and reached inside the oven. Just as I did Amelia called out:"Clairette! Don't!" but I had grabbed the tool, and fell to the floor, screaming in pain and placing left arm in the bucket of water beside me. Yes, I had expected it to hurt, but not that much! It was worse than the poison, worse than getting hit by a sharp blade or an angry teacher, and the pain of the burns would stay for a long time. Placing my arm in the water bucket seemed to be the only clever thing I did that day. I hissed in pain and tried not to cry. I tried not to, but I did cry. Oh, it did hurt!
Amelia rushed back to the depot box to get her medico bag. I begged her to forgive me destroying the peel. She said: 'Don't worry... All will be good...' and told me to drink a brew from herbs she made from plants she took from her bag and put into a cup. “It will ease the pain!” I was told and I muttered:” Or it will poison me.”. I drank after she proved to me it wasn't poisoned by taking a tiny sip herself. The brew tasted quite bitter, but I barely noticed.
Amelia than mixed herbs and grund them to a thick paste. Than she carefully pulled my hand from the water to look at it and to clean it. The human woman was smiling a little, trying to cheer me up or comfort me when she told me to look at her and tell her something I like. So, I told her about music. I told her that I liked to play the harp when where were dinners or rather banquets held, while she carefully applied the paste on my hand. It felt cool, and it made my hand feel numb fast. Sometimes, although Amelia was very careful, her treating my hand did really hurt. I hissed and grimaced, trying not to pull my arm away, and than distracted by pain I had to search for words, on how to tell her of these banquettes, and that I played music to avoid the guests and family. I am grateful that Amelia tried to distract me by asking about what I like. Last, she covered my hand and arm in some kind of leafs and than wrapped it up in cloth bandages.

She told me, she'd check the wound daily and that the paste would make it feel numb – wich it already did a little. And she said, she was sorry. It was confusing, why would she be? I told her I was sorry. I was the one who made a mistake. Amelia looked at me and tried to explain to me that I didn't have to be sorry and that while a tool could be replaced, I could not be replaced. I did not fully understand what she wanted to say. I had seen the opposite happening way to often at home in the white stone caves, yet even in my family's house. "I was careless, please forgive me." I said and looked down. I was scared, she would be angry and disappointed. Amelia tried to place a hand on my shoulder and insisted: "We learn best from errors. You are more valuable than any tool or weapon". She told me always to remember this. I promised, unsure of what exactly she wanted me to remember. But well, if it pleased her, I'd promise to remember.

When I tried to stand, I almost fell over me feet, the medicine had made me dizzy. Amelia helped me. She told me I didn't have to finish the work. I asked her if she was sure of it. She would have to beak all bread rolls by herself now. Amelia nodded and said:"Please don't make me order you... I don't like that." By making clear that she would have given me the order to rest, I couldn't insist further, so I replied:"I shall rest, if you wish." and lowered my gaze to show respect. The human woman said:"Please do. We can do this again, when you recovered." and she gave me smile, trying to cheer me up a bit.
Amelia insisted to walk me to the inn, not allowing me to refuse. I didn't even feel embarrassed at the moment, just hurt, dizzy and so helpless, that I was thankful that someone was helping me. I held on Amelia's arm carefully as we slowly walked up part the kitchen to the guard room. Knight Bidukan was there and an orcess, a human woman and the man called Drathe. They were staring, while we walked past, me leaning on Amelia. As Amelia told Bidukan they needed to talk, I turned pale, my face taking a grey color in fear. The Knight furrowed his brows looking at us and nodded, while Drathe grinned and remarked he had not know that baking was such a hazardous past time.

Knight Bidukan accompanied us to the inn, but he left for he had to take care of other business. He told me to rest, we'd talk later and he waved at me gently. Than he left Amelia and me. I was sitting on the bed, and I realized we had not told him about the peel yet! Amelia assured me he wouldn't be upset and that she'd take care of it. I don't know, why I allowed her to handle the talk to my knight for me. Did I already trust her or was I just to exhausted from what had happened, so that I didn't protest? Amelia asked me friendly to tell her how much a peel is worth. I had no clue. How could I have known? I used the tool for the first time that day. I felt this was an unfair question and upset as I was I tried to defend myself: "How am I supposed to know?" But Amelia didn't want to scold me, she shook her head and said: "The numbers don’t matter. It's just a few silver coins. The point is, it is easy to replace it. But you, Clairette, you are unique. You are not just wood or steel. You are a living being with dreams, hopes, history. You can not be replaced". Why was she saying that? I thought to myself:"I am a living being, thanks I know that. By the way that's why my arm and hand hurt. What a surprise!" And being a very clumsy living being, I had failed - again. “No, the point is I broke it.”, I whispered silently.

Unlike me Amelia seemed to think that was not a big deal breaking tools, she explained to me that I would break even more tools. I couldn't fully understand what she was trying to say. Well, the meaning it did not go into my head. I doubted that Knight Bidukan would really allow me to prove myself that useless to break more tools. Amelia and Bidukan couldn't possibly be that patient or that stupid, right? My mind refused to believe that things worked this way here in Galmair. "Somehow this is almost cute, if it weren't that sad." I muttered to myself in common language. I felt sorry for Amelia, this just showed again how young she still was.

"Never ever again I want you to risk your health for a tool." she ordered, but with a warm smile on her face. I nodded - it's not that risking my life for anything is a hobby on mine. But I thought that my Knight might have a word to say on that, too. So I promised to Amelia that I would not ever again risk my health for a tool unless Bidukan said otherwise. Amelia mumbled to herself, that if he'd say so, she'd have a serious talk to him. Changing the topic the human woman told me that if I wanted to know something or if there were things I did not understand, she'd explain them to me. She offered me help. I could ask her. And so I asked her to tell me a story, and though I tried hard to pay attention, lying in bed I fell asleep soon after Amelia spoke the first few sentences.
Last edited by Clairette on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clairette

11. Siros 62 - Meeting Voloro

Post by Clairette »

11. Siros 62
I had been pulled from sleep by the pain in my hand and arm. My dreams were of strange and unpleasant things as well as of my siblings, among them my twin brother Aleante.
Usually when I feel bad, I dream about him, and then I wake I think of how he died from poision and it ruins my day.

I shook my head, clenched the burnt hand into a fist in anger and hissed - hissed in pain. At least it got those memories away from of my mind.
I stepped out into the night, the air was fresh and there were a few stars and clouds over head. The sky was something I had not gotten used to, this giant half-sphere so high above one's head. At night though, it looked nice, dark with tiny sparkling lights. The sight helped to better my mood. But than I ran against a signpost.

Knight Bidukan found me and told me to follow him. Well, actually he said, 'Do come, creature.' I know many nicer ways to ask someone to follow you to some place, but apparently my knight didn't care about being nice and went straight to the guard room. I followed along and stumbled in. Unfortunately it was not empty. There was another elf there, one who looked much like me. He was old, dark skinned, with white, long hair, wearing a well tended armour decorated with spiderweb carvings, pauldorn's with dark fur and a large, heavy sword as weapon. He eyes were rose coloured. Bidukan introduced him to me as Voloro and me to him as his page Clairette.

We were both just staring at each other, so Bidukan left us. I tried to hide my bandaged hand and reached for my dagger. A dagger I owned no more, I had given it to Bidukan. What did I feel seeing someone like him? I guess surprise? Confusion and fear? And he I could only guess, for he showed no emotions at all. He did not move, but he had some kind of aura about him. It read like: 'You would not want to mess with me'.  His first words to me where, “You are no elf.” in a mix of common and a language used by some of those who live underground. He must have been confused by my manners and by my clothes. I hissed, telling him he was not talk to me without my allowing him to do so. Guess what? He started to mock me, but not in a teasing way like playing children do. No! In a serious tone he spoke to me, his face betraying no emotions. Then, without the slightest hint of mockery in his voice said, "Respect given where it is due. You are not my Matriarch or of my clan. Your name is of the human sound and your clothes are of that too. I am insulted I even have to point this out to you." He not only pointed out my position in a way so that it hurt, but even had the audacity to say my name was human-like! I felt insulted, and hissed in anger, while my face turned dark in embarressment. He pointed out, that I had lost my way by being a page of a human, worst of a man. It was not until later, when hearing these words from Aswe, I realized he was right about the part involving serving humans.

He approached looking down on me. I glared back, gritting my teeth. He told to me that Bidukan, oblivious to our habits, had asked him to see me. Usually, I would have known how to behave, the protocols are clear on that. But here in Galmair, without anyone to support my position, and nothing to prove it, this was challenging. A challenge I lost. Even when Voloro said:"I will assume your name and dress is to earn trust until such time as it's yours to play with." He didn't take me seriously. "What clan would name their own Clairette?" He asked, sneering at me. Anger got the best of me, I lost my temper and hissed at him. "Mine did!" I think I should be embarrassed, why should I to even care about his remarks, but they stung like little icy needles in already open wounds.
The biggest insult was said without words, when he turned his back on me and walked to the door. It showed he didn't consider me a threat at all. I guess to him I must have seemed like a lost, little, homeless brat that somehow got up to the surface seeking shelter under a human knight. Well, that might actually have been a accurate description of me back than...
Anyhow, the man dared to ask, "Are you of mixed blood?" That left me speechless. No human had ever insulted me like that. I opened and closed my mouth like a miserable fish that was caught by some hunter and dragged onto land in the ice lake caves.
He asked for my clan, I told him I was from the house of Liakir. Just than Bidukan retuned, clueless as he was, he asked with a smile on his face and in a polite tone, "Tribal arguments my dear elves?" Voloro dismissed my house as minor and unimportant. He might have said so to hurt me further, but yeah, he was right about it. If there's close to nothing left of a house, this house can hardly be of importance. How my house got into that state, that's another story ...

Voloro kept mocking me, telling Bidukan, "This one here though will make you a good squire. She has fire in her belly, she is broken and maybe moulded to your will." I pointed out that I'd refuse to have him talk to me like that or about me. Voloro promptly answered that even if I would do so, he'd afford me nothing. Charming, wasn't he?
Looking back I wonder, was his observation at that point correct or just another spiteful remark? Had I been shattered like a glass that fell from the table? And did I glue the pieces back together overtime or did I just bend like one of the twigs of a berry bush in the forest that will snap back in position as soon as they are let go?
My knight and that well mannered but utterly impolite Voloro went to test their skills in the small training room up the ladder in the guard room. Just then a lizard showed up as well, claiming to be ready for fighting training also. The creature was dismissed by Voloro with the words, 'Lizards are never ready.'

I heard their talk and the clashing of weapons. Curiously I climbed up the ladder to watch the men fight. Amelia also joined us up there and we watched the training duel together.
Later, after the training, Voloro gave me a new name "Little Brane'sa". Brane'sa meaning Annoyance. Despite being a little annoyed, he took some time to talk to me anyhow. I've decided to keep the expression "Little Brane'sa" as some-kind of nickname for me. I like the sound of it, it sounds quite harmless and I like to surprise those who underestimated me.
Clairette

11. Siros 62 - Farming

Post by Clairette »

Next Knight Bidukan told me to help Amelia with her farming. So we went to the fields outside of Galmair: Two large spots full of earth, near a pond that resembles a puddle and an orange tree. There also was a campfire near by, it is somehow always burning. My words about farming towards Amelia were, "I shall do peasants work?" She replied. "Think you are too good for it?"
"Of course I am..." It made her laugh a little. I was confused, but she pointed out I had no higher rank than her. I hurried to apologize and looked down. And then she told me to stop being so submissive - it was down right making no sense at all. Yes, that was the point where things got so much more complicated...

"You are his page, not his slave. He is your knight, not your master." said Amelia. "Meaning, his orders are absolute, yes. And it's appropriate, to show respect, but you still can be self confident and hold your head high." Excuse me? How is that supposed to work? I felt confused and at wrong. So I hissed at Amelia. "Why do you make this even more difficult?" It's not that acting as a page, acting as someome of lower status, was that easy for me. It required quite some attention, for example on what you do and better don't do. To just name a few more difficulties: Speaking common language, bowing to humans, guessing their rank and status, ignoring their insulting behaviour towards me. All of this was nothing I was used to.
Amelia went on talking, trying to tell me what she meant, but I was getting desperate and hid it behind anger:"Either way I do it wrong! I'm trying my best, and ...", my hands were trembling now. The human woman insisted:"Just don't give yourself up completely." Thanks, I never intended to do so. But well,... there were many things I never intended to do and ended up having to do anyway.

"I know our way of life and society is new to you and must seem complicated..." Amelia spoke in a calm, soft voice, trying to lessen my anger. But she didn't succeed. Again I hissed at her, "I just don't know how you want me to behave! You're humans, this is all so wrong in the first place…" Amelia's calm voice was preventing at least one of us from losing their temper. "It was your decision to become his page. Now, you have to deal with the fact, we are human, Clairette. I do my best to make it easier for you. But I won't force you to accept my help."
Bidukan seemed to have heard us. He walked over through the gates and asked:"What is this? A holiday?". The man had expected us to do farming and saw us arguing instead. Bidukan looked from one at the other of us, brows raised: "What is happening?" he questioned.
"I don't need you to force me to accept your help!" I replied to Amelia. The woman turned on her heels walked over to the bench near the campfire close to the gate and fields. "Those are yours, in case you want to learn...". She said, placing some pouch with seeds on the bench. Next she went over to the fields and began to work.

Bidukan scolded me a bit, saying that there was work to be done and not endless talk to be held. He asked why I was upset and I told him I did understand what Amelia wanted me to do. Finally the humans explained to me that, I was acting to submissive and that it would hurt Knight Bidukan's reputation, if I would continue to do so.
After this was settled, I learned how to plant seeds into the fields, one makes a small hole in the earth, puts the seed inside, places earth on top of it and than usually you pour some water on it. I tried as best as I could using just one hand, the one I usually don't use that much.
It seemed Knight Bidukan had planned ahead and left soon food for us. Amelia tried the food for me. It was somehow tasty - even it was food made by humans. Unfortunately we took so much time, that the plants turned into seeds again, as they tend to do if left. I think, I was so hungry that I forgot my table manners a little. 
Another round of planting, bringing more mud on my clothes, my hands, under my fingernails. I also accidentally trampled on newly sow plants, and fell into the bushes and later had muscle ache. Farming sure was great fun! 

While we were working, an elfess walked up to us. It was the one called Inara, I saw some time before at the depot. When she approached me, I took a step back and slipped on a plate. So embarrassing! Who left the plate on the ground there?
Inara asked me, if I still were afraid of her. "I am just being careful" I explained while cleaning my coat from food pieces. Inara had other business to do and left us. She only came over to greet Amelia with her she seems to be close.
While working, work became quite monotonous once you get into some rhythm of planing seeds. So I wondered about Voloro's words. Speaking to myself I thought "What if he was right?" and Amelia must have heard me, because she asked "What did he said, if I may ask?"
I replied. "To put it politely, he said quite insulting things." Just that moment Wynter walked over towards us, Amelia and her exchanged some words. The tall, blonde woman left continuing her way along the stone path. I was still angry at her.
Amelia and Bidukan praised me for doing well, though my hand was hurting, protesting about the uncommon work - also it was my right hand. I usually I use my left one, and I had if it had not been burnt and bandaged.

I asked Knight Bidukan to tell a story. "What kind of stories you like Clairette?" he relied friendly. My request had not angered him. Good.
"I'd love to hear a story about loyalty, friendship and trust", I answered politely much to Amelia’s surprise. Her surprised face made me smile a bit. I asked for such a fairytale not because I like childish stories, but to hear about these values in hope to learn more about the way these humans - or people - think here and why they deem these values important.
Knight Bidukan nodded, than the man was staring in to the distance thinking back on something. He asked me if I knew a place called Gobaith and told me it was an island, an island of hope, that is now sunken to the sea. Bidukan told me that he arrived at this island at age 17 - not used to think in human terms about age I remarked "That is horribly young, Sir." What mother would sent her infant away to an far off island? Well, mine probably would, if she'd gain something from it... While Bidukan told his story a pale elf had walked up and sat close by the flames.
Last edited by Clairette on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clairette

Re: Clairette's Diary - Bidukan's Tale about Sir Stephen Rothmann

Post by Clairette »

And this is the story he told me:

So, on the Island Gobaith young Bidukan met the Govenor of a town called Troll's Bane. Said govenor was a legendary knight called Sir Stephen Rothman. And he took Bidukan as his page. Sir Rothman was at the heigth of his career, a great warrior, who was rich and attractive to women and respected by everybody. Also, his politics served the Town Troll'sBane well, the biggest town on the island that was named after the first King, Udan Trollsbane. The knight had a court full of other knights and mages and merchants and so on. Sir Rothman even took on the dwarven empire and won to claim their land his own. But, as it is when you are on the heigth of you career you will fall. At some point the gods got angry with Sir Rothman, the dwarven empire was restored, he lost his position in Troll's Bane's Govenment. He even lost his court and kighthood. No wonder most friends disappeared on him.

The once great knight spend his last days as an outlaw on the island Gobaith. His enemies were happy. Still, nothing is more dangerous than a cornered man. With nothing left to loose, the former legendary knight may have commited crimes. Bidukan was his squire back than, and one day a dove reached him with a letter from Rothmann to prepare his things and get him ready to flee from Gobaith. What could he have done? He could have helped, he could have brought him to justice and gain a huge reward. Young Bidukan was certain about what he had to do. He had to honour his oath and help him flee, for regardless if he was an outlaw or not Bidukan had sworn to protect him. What is a man, if his words can not be trusted? What is a man who underhandely stabs you from behind? Not a man, more something like a rat.
Clairette

11. Siros 62 - Lessons to be learnt

Post by Clairette »

Bidukan told me:"Clairette, loyatly is the first value we can have." But I felt Bidukan had just called everyone at my house rats. "Pardon?" I said. The man asked in a low voice:"Have you ever asked yourself, what are you loyal to?" Yes, I had. And the answer had been bitter. "And found an answer?" my Knight inquired. I didn't feel like going into details, fortunately I did not have to, since Bidukan went on: "Whatever your answer is, stay loyal to it." I gave him a cold smile and promised to stay loyal to it.

Meanwhile people had gathered around the fire place: A ash blond woman with black eyes, the pale elf with black, long hair and Amelia were talking. Bidukan pointed out that for example the woman at the fire place consider Stephen Rothmann a criminal. While they were chatting, I continued my farming work and slowly I got hungry. I was lucky that Knight Bidukan retuned and brought food and water, the elf and the woman at the fireplace were joined by the elfess Inara and Yasna. But soon they left again. Bidukan explained:"I would never poison your food or water. I owe you my loyalty." He winked and remarked:"Not to mention is a dishonourable way to kill someone." Oh, but dieing from a dishonorable murder still make you dead, right? When I saw Amelia eating, I ate something as well.

Voloro had come to the fields and sat by the fire. He mocked me again. I tried to trick him to try the food that fell down - but he'd just throw it on the ground and tell me that I humiliated myself by brining a male food. Right he was... Before I turned to go back he asked again, if I was raised by humans. Maybe that really botherd him? "But yet here you act as one?" he asked, his face blank of expression. "I act the way I choose, too! Do not tell me how to act." I told him. " As if I would care what you think...". But the elf replied:"Indeed... but you do. And what others do." Unfortunately, he was right. I couldn't admit it though, and said: "Well, if you want to think that, I won't stop you." His answer was: "We don't think that, we know it.". Bidukan, listening to our argument, said he noticed we became friends. And the elf told me that later, when my blood fired, I would see how above them all and Voloro I were. I guess he was making fun of me again.
When Voloro asked:"Tell me about you." he surprised me. "About me?" I echoed. "About you, from where did you come to be?", he said. "I already told you the name of my house." I replied. "Yes, but why are you here." The man gestured with a finger to the ground. I hisses at him in anger, I was being to nosy. "I did not plan to be here. How come you are here?" I decided to returned the question. Voloro simply said in a calm voice: "We always plan to be where ever we are. And if we find ourselves not, we work to make it so." "Good for you, I guess", I remarked a bit snippy. Voloro replied in a voice devoid of emotions:"Yes, it is.... I find you a curiosity. Unlike I have ever seen or known of for our kin." What should I make of this? "I will pretend this is a compliment, even if it might be not" I said. He words were puzzling. And, well, it is not nice to be called different and to be singeld out. "Take it as simple observation and my opinion of you. I have never seen such a timid female." Well,... I raises an eyebrow at this observation. Others may have demanded his tongue to be cut out or what he said, I guess. I could be making a fuzz about his behaviour, sure. The result though would be to loose that argument - so why risk it? "Have you seen many humans before coming here?"I change the topic instead. Voloro simply said: "Many." I was curious so I said:"One day, you may tell me a story about them." but Voloro did not understand: "There is not much to tell. They were taken as slaves for the clan or killed in battle. But in the time that I have been on my own, I have learnt and seen things differently." I sighed. I wanted to hear about how he learned to get along with humans or other creature living on the surface, so that I could copy what he did. "Then you are certainly not a good observer, I shall tell you a stoy the next time we meet." I told him, disappointed. Voloro insisted:"Would a hunter tell you of the intricacies and observation of the rabbit he hunts unless teaching the hunt?" Voloro raised his head and said:"I have much to tell of them but not much to speak of at present. And I strangely find myself looking forward to your story."

So I decided to tell a story.
Last edited by Clairette on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clairette

11. Siros 62 - End of day

Post by Clairette »

Knight Bidukan, the young elfess Yasna and Amelia walked up to us, Bidukan asked if they could sit with us, which Voloro allowed them politely. We were mocking Yasna a bit, who was visibly intimidated and hiding behind my knight. Either by Voloro or by me. "Would you feel better if I tell a story?" I asked. I told them the story of the happiest elf of my kin. And in the middle of it, I was so hungry my stomach grumbled loudly, so that Amelia had to bring me some extra food. Voloro left mid-story, I think. I did not realize, he did.

After finishing the story. Amelia praised me: "Well told!" and also Bidukan said: "Well done." Praised by my superiors I lowered my gaze a bit, trying to hide that I felt a bit proud. Somehow I lost my composure, I looked up at the stars and smiled:"That was fun!", before looking at the three others. My knight asked if what I had just told was based on a true story. It partly was, so I said: "Nah, it's not a real story. I just borrowed some true parts here and there, that's all", and I waved a hand to dismiss the question. I did not feel like going into details, it was to close to the topic about what had brought me here. I was not ready to discuss it.

"The nobles seemed evil people." remarked Bidukan. I guess that this could be assumed true, we are rarely called 'good' by other creatures and we do not call ourselves or each other 'good' either. The story was over, the group of listeners disbanded. Amelia was staring up at Galmair's city walls. I was not sure, if someone was there and had been listening or not. Knight Bidukan told me I should rest so I went back to the inn to sleep and cuddled into the blanktes. Soon I fell asleep.
Last edited by Clairette on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clairette

Clairette on the very happiest of her kin

Post by Clairette »

On the very happiest of my kin
Let me tell you a story, the story of the most happy of my people.

The attack on the House of Tazaráe had been successful, and in the great hall the nobles gathered in their black armor with dark cloaks and weapons in their hands, to receive the instructions of the Lady of the House and to feign compliments and congratulations on the victory. Swords still dripped with blood, and no one had yet had time to rid themself of their filthy cloak. The mood was filled with anticipation of reward. Perhaps the reward would even come in the form of a better rank? The eyes of the superior female warriors glared greedily as they waited in anticipation for their Mistress to speak.

Among the nobles, the lesser female warriors simply hoped that no one had noticed that they were poor fighters. Mockery, laughter and shame would haunt them for decades to come, because even a high rank can only protect them to a certain extent, and we all know how servants like to gossip.

The Mistress of the House stepped in front of the small pedestal on which the throne was located. Her coat was stained with blood, even her white hair was splattered with red.

"We were victorious!" She shouted in a loud voice as she raised her weapon, dripping with blood. The hall erupted with cheers.

As the Lady of the House gave her speech, a servant opened the large, heavy double door and a female warrior of the guard entered the room. The guard was not alone, escorted by two other guards a prisoner was led into the room. Thus the heiress of the House of Tazaráe had to listen to the speech of her enemies, a speech in which her just deceased family and her house were being mocked. After the mistress had finished, she gave a signal to the guards and the female prisoner was led before the throne.

She was young, just on the threshold of the age when children grow up and become difficult. Her hair was long, straight and grey in color. Her expensive rose-coloured dress with lace indicated her high status in the house of Tazaraé. The bundle of cloth she carried was also made of noble fabric, artfully embroidered with silver threads. With fear-filled green eyes, the young elf looked around the room and tightly clutched the bundle in her arm, her knees shaking with every step. Truly, she presented an exceedingly pathetic sight.

All the nobles were mocking and laughing at her.

"The prisoner Lelinua Fananara Zarnérietteaon of Tazaráe," announced the servant at the door, adding mockingly, "Heiress of the House of Tazaráe - or what is left of it."

The little elf stopped in front of the throne, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Lelinua Fananara Zarnérietteaon of Tazaráe," the lady of the house addressed her harshly. But a servant hurried over and whispered something in the ear of the Empress. She frowned angrily and waved him away gruffly. "You are not the heiress of the house of Tazaráe. Speak, who are you?" "My name is Tayararáh Trisel Juliettea of Tazaraé." the child sobbed and began to cry. Some of the noble warrior women began to whisper with each other.

"And where is the heiress of the House of Tazaráe?"

"Please, please spare my cousin Lelinua." With these words, the girl clutched the bundle in her arms tighter, which just began to whimper loudly. I think, for a moment, the Lady of the House's face slipped.

"I want to see her!" she hissed.

Carefully, the elf from the house of Tazaráe held the whining baby towards the throne. It too had gray hair, but its eyes were violet. "I beg you..."

"Bah, enough of that!" The lady of the house silenced the girl with a wave of her hand. The baby, however, continued to scream. I suppose the Lady of the House wanted to get rid of them as quickly as possible when she ordered, "Tayararáh Trisel Juliettea of Tazaraé, you will live in this house as a servant, and you will lay down your title. Furthermore, you will take care of your cousin and be an example to her so that she, too, will learn to be a good servant."

In the room it became abruptly quiet in the great hall, because no one repeats the mistake that once made the house Finyotiájiel. Sparing enemies, who then years later can cruelly take revenge, no one makes such a mistake anymore, because everyone knows the story. No one, except the obviously stupid elf who stood there in front of the throne of her house and gave orders.

The elf girl stared speechlessly at the Lady of the House out of her big green eyes. The child was as surprised as the other adults in the room. The baby elf wrapped in cloths, held in her arms also stared, but she merely stared like babies stare at everything they simply don't know. The little child began to whimper a little more quietly. For a while nothing more happened.

Then the young elf girl with the green eyes bowed with the words: "Very well, Mistress. I am the happiest elf in your house as of today."

The luckiest elf in the House quickly made a name for herself among the servants, not that she quickly made friends or found allies - such things never last long anyway, and besides, the family name of the enemies stuck to her, even if always unspoken. Nor was she particularly lazy, nor particularly clumsy. No, Tayayaráh had her own way of making a name for herself.

Never had the house seen such a cheerful soul. Even the most menial or difficult tasks were accomplished by the young elf without complaint and with a confident smile.She emanated something that can perhaps best be described as unwavering optimism, and neither the other servants nor the nobles succeeded in taking this nature from her.

She took care of her little cousin patiently and with care, protecting her whenever she could. Even with this difficult task, her smile never faded.

At most, it slipped a little when Lelinua cried about being scolded and beaten. Then she took her cousin in her arms and laughingly told her: "Don't cry, Lelinua. After all, you have the very happiest elf by your side, so some happiness will rub off on you, don't you think, little Princess?"

If anyone from the Mistress' house had heard the last two words of the conversation, both would have been severely punished. Probably the Mistress would have cut out Tayayaráh's tongue or had her beheaded along with her cousin. But Tayayaráh's optimism did not let the elf consider such thoughts and so the cousins shared the secret about the knowledge of their origin.

Tayayaráh irritated some of the nobles with her cheerful manner, but she never made real enemies. Her role in the House was simply too unimportant and she herself, despite everything, too inconspicuous.She formed a few alliances or even loose partnerships of convenience with the kitchen staff. She got along well with the stable boys and also with the human gardener. She was helpful and accommodating, even when she didn't have to be. I can't say exactly what led her to act that way. Perhaps she enjoyed it when others expressed their gratitude to her?

One day Tayayaráh made the acquaintance of the noble lady Carlette. Carlette, sometimes mockingly called Carlalein by her older sisters, was a very young elf and she had taken a liking to Tayayaráh's unusual nature. The two met for the first time in the fireplace room, where Carlette was playing with her rag dolls as Tayayaráh added firewood. The elf child watched the other elf curiously, and Tayayaráh smiled at her when her work was done. Shy as she was, Carlette snatched up her doll and hid her face behind it. As she did so, a ribbon came loose from the doll's hair. "There ribbon!" demanded Carlette, and Tayayarah knelt beside her and, smiling, braided the doll's hair. "Is the braid to your doll's satisfaction, noble lady?" asked Tayayaráh carefully. The child examined the doll's new hairstyle at length and announced, "Nicely done." Tayayaráh beamed. "Would you like to have a braid like that in your hair, too?" continued Tayaya. And again Carlette nodded.

That was the beginning of the end of the carefree time in the protection of the lower servants for Tayayaráh. A few years later Carlette had the elf with the radiant smile and the green eyes appointed as her pagin. From that time on, the time she spent joking with the stable boys and the time of hard work in the kitchen, where there were nevertheless often stories to listen to, were gone. There was also little time now for visits and chats with the gardener. Because Tayayaráh Carlette had to serve as pagin and was completely occupied by this task.

As coincidence would have it, Tayayaráh's appointment to the servants of Carlette happened just in the year when her cousin began her training in the study of magic. The youngest of the House of Tazaráe possessed such a great magical talent that even the worst magicians of her mistress did not fail to notice it, and so it was decided to allow the servant to train in magic instead of wasting such a rare gift.

The catastrophe was foreshadowed when Carlette's only and older sister Amarié had an accident while exploring a cave. Whether it was an accident or an assassination attempt we will never know. Carlette also died a little later of heart failure, something that inevitably happens when one's heart is pierced by a dagger. Said dagger was found in Tayayaráh's chamber and it was Tayayaráh herself who found it and delivered it to the guard. Nevertheless, this did not make her less suspicious and the guard did not even let her out of the guardroom but locked her up immediately. Asked by the nobles of the House why she had comitted such a deed, Tayayaráh only answered: "I am the luckiest elf in this House, honoured one. Why would I do such a thing?"

She smiled confidently, "I am sure that you will find the real culprit before you execute me. And then I'll go free and everything will be fine, after all I'm the happiest elf in your House." Then she stared through the bars of her cell without the smile on her face fading.

However, there were no fewer among the nobles who quite believed the elf to have committed such a silly, ill-considered deed. There was a lot of whispering among the stable boys and the kitchen staff and even the gardener will not have missed what happened.

The sentence was to be pronounced as a result of a simple spectacle trial. The execution would be invented in public, so that a dissuasive example could be presented to the servants.

All the time Tayayaráh smiled confidently, so that probably even the last person present in the room began to doubt her sanity.

But, just as the Lady of the House was about to announce the verdict, a figure appeared in a cloud of dust and a whirl of wind. The wind disarranged all the scribes' papers, billowed the skirts of the nobles and rocked the elaborate wall hangings. Finally it came to a halt. The figure was that of the deceased Carlette. She floated towards a group of noble ladies and came to a stop in front of one of the ladies, whose face had taken on an ashen color. She stared at the apparition in horror and uttered: "But I stabbed you. How can that be?"

Thereupon Carlette took on a shapeless, cloud-like form and whispered in a low, childish voice - yet audible to all: "It was you." and then she escaped through the chimney with a loud wail.

An execution took place that day, but it was not that of Tayayaráh. I myself can only speculate how the ghostly apparition came about, but think that perhaps the talented Lelinua might have had something to do with it.

In any case, Tayayaráh was never again involved in a plot. I suppose that she either died in battle with a smile on her lips, because the house she served fell victim to an attack, or that she managed to change sides while laughing.

If she is still alive, she is certainly smiling right now.
Last edited by Clairette on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - Dream and Bath

Post by Clairette »

14.Siros 62

I'd say it was about an hour after midnight, for the moons were still high up and shone through the window of the inn on my bed.
I had dreamt of my twin Aleante again, and this time also my little sister Anjette had found her way into my dream. All three of us were rats trying to escape the large, heavy boots worn by the citizens of Galmair. On top of that my siblings were arguing about something. It was a silly dream, but still quite a nightmare.
Waking from sleep I noticed that now both of my arms hurt, the left one with the burnt hand was more in pain, the right one protested about the recent farming work. Hissing a bit, not used to such an unpleasant awaking I slowly and carefully got out of the bed, put on my clothes and stepped outside. The cold night air greeting me, I wandered around town a bit, warming up by a fireplace and looking at the kitchen.

Knight Bidukan found me. Seeing me he remarked: "Clairette, you look....not so good." I assume, I have to agree on this observation of the knight: My hair was unkept, even untidy due to the nightmares that had plagued me, the dirt from the field work was still on my hands and forehead, and my eyes tired and small. He asked me to tell him about my dream: After I told him, he asked if I really had siblings. Fortunately he did not want to hear my faimily story, though. It would have taken quite some time to tell him. Knight Bidukan suggested I should take a bath. He gave me wood to make a fire and a towel and two hats. And send me off with the words:"Take your time. You seem to need to relax." And about the hats, no, people in Galmair do not bath with hats on. Instead the man had concluded that I liked hats. I do, since they cover my eyes from the sun a bit. The bathhouse located in lower layer of Galmair. The lower level is dark, and it smells there of old water and mould. There is also a underground river or channel. You reach this place by a ladder behind the guardroom and the kitchen, so I carefully balanced the pile towards the ladder. I did not stumble over the doorstep! What joy!

Well, instead I fell down the ladder. It made quiet some noise as I fell down scattering the the wood all over the floor. I was a bit shocked, disorientated. It didn't help that everything went pitch black, so I could not see anything. Then I removed the bucket from my head. I muttered to myself and to Anjette's ghost - if she was listening:"That's why I dreamt of you, Anjette." It had been a warning. And I was lucky to not have broken my neck on the fall. I felt tears water my eyes, so before I would shed them I hastily stood up and wiped them away with an angry movement. I gritted my teeth and stood listening silently. Falling down, shouting and making loud noise might attract attackers. I made sure I heard nothing suspicious, than I gathered the things lost, taking one last glance at the ladder I whispered my sister's name and hobbled to the bath house.

The bath house was empty, no bathing guests - but no servants either. There were large tubs that should be filled with warm water for bathing. Since no one else would do it for me, I made a fire and began warming one bucket of water after the other and poured the hot water into the tub. It seemed pretty ineffective, but I had no idea how else I would receive the comfort of a nice hot bath.
After bathing, wearing clean, fresh clothes I looked at myself in the mirror. A dark-skinned elf with white hair and white eyes, wearing a simple dress, looked back. At first my reflection was smiling confidently at me but soon the smile would fade. I leaned against the mirror and whispered: "Just... what am I doing here?". This one moment only, I dropped my mask. I could not afford to drown in pity, I had things to do and plans to make, goals to reach.

A well placed bucket of water killed the flames and soon I was off, back to the kitchen, then searching the guard room to find someone who would clean my clothes from the farm work dirt.
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - First encounter with Aswe

Post by Clairette »

In the workshop I found Inara working. She had taken wood and carpentry tools from the depot and lightly bowed her head in greeting. I demanded to know who would wash my clothes. The girl raised a brow and took a deep breath, she said: "I fear, that you will have to do it yourself." I stared at her. How could she be serious about that? Me, washing my clothes? Offended as I was, I stared at her with narrowed eyes. She hurried to explain that everyone washes their clothes on their own.

That was when a pale, tall green haired elfess, whom I assume to be older than Inara and I, walked past and searched for something in the depot. Inara and I were talking near the workshop door.
The strange elfess asked Inara: "Do you know the drow?" and she replied:"Hm? Yes, she lives in Galmair. So everything alright with that Aswe." Aswe closed the depot, folded her arms and walked over to us. Instinctly, involuntarily I found myself walking backwards as she approached. "What do you think you're doing, elf?" I hissed at her. She saild calmly:"I am approaching you. As is my want." and took another step closer. I reached for my dagger, but I had none. "Eh, I would not go to close. She mistrusts nearly everyone", Inara remarked at the green haired elfess. But she did not listen to Inara and neither to me ordering her to stop. Instead she made a show about stepping closer even further and dedclared:"Do not presume that you hold any sort of authority over me, nor inspire fear." I hissed in anger, yet I took a step backwards again, one more and I'd be standing back to the workshop's wall. "You will stop that. You will step closer." The green hair elfess demanded. She seemed to be almost nonchalant in her mannerisms, calm and at ease.

Time to run, I though and tried to rush past her. I admit it would have been wiser to run backwards through the workshop, but Inara was blocking the way. Seconds later, I found myself on the cobblestones/ground. The elfess had pushed me and I had fallen to the ground without even making past the weapon trader, the orcess Krudash. Inara told Aswe to stop, and the green haired elf stared down on me, folding her arms again. Do I need to say she was very frightening? I still tried to get away, crawling backwards. Only to bump my head against Krudash's table where a lot of weapons were in display. Had I tried to reach for any of her wares without doubt she would have broken more than my hand reaching for one of her weapons. This situation was unpleasant. Inara insisted that Aswe should let me be. "Drow understand hierarchy before all else Inara." the older elfess explained to the younger one. "I am letting her know where she stands next to me."
Turning her eyes on me, she demanded: to know my name." This Aswe-Elf asked me name? She should have it, together with a hint of my status - even if being a page was not a lot. I hissed at her. "I'm Clairette, page to Knight Bidukan!"

She dared to scold me for hissing at her. I told her she was not to give orders at me. The orcess Krudash chuckled, and observed silently what was going on in front of her table.
"You have been told to stop hissing. Under what name and power do you refuse, Clairette? I see neither on you." Aswe spoke.  I bit my lip. Her words hurt my pride, and yet I had to admit she was right, and that made me very angry. I told her the first thing that came to my mind. I do admit I felt ashamed seeking protection by these words, but that's what I did:" I am under the protection of Knight Bidukan, so I won't take orders from you. Go ask him if you can order me around, elf." Inara sighed, she clearly didn't enjoy the situation. Neither did I, of course!

Aswe crouched next to me. The elfess explained in a firm voice:"Bidukan is irrelevant. A man. Gone in a blink. Then what? You have nothing. You attach your strength to the beating of a fly's wings. Take strength from an immortal, from one who sees more than a paltry century." Yeah. Thanks for pointing out my mistakes like that. Can't you tell I was desperate when I made that nonsense decision? I clenched my left hand into a fist in anger. Again this elfess was right! The elven girl Inara intervened again: "Alright Aswe that is enough. There is no need to treat her like that. And it doesn't matter if you are right or not. Clairette, like I said before, is still learning." I didn't pay much attention to her words, for I was scared of Aswe. But looking back, it shows she was kind.
Aswe had gotten to her feet again, offering me a hand. I cluelessly started at it for a second than moved away, wondering what kind of mean trick that would be. The older elfess began lecturing me about strength. Strength would not lie in fear - of course not. Who did even say so? And that you need openmindedness and examination. Basically she told me not to be afraid of her. I couldn't help but laugh about her words and got to my feet on my own.

I bowed to her, so she would leave me alone and stop picking on me. But she whispered:"What have you learned?" I replied in a hushed voice:"I should not make you angry." It seemed she was happy with that answer, because she smirked. "Close enough."
I should have been suspicious when she asked:"What will you tell Bidukan?" But my head was busy sorting though what just had happened, so I replied what I assumed she wanted me to say:"Nothing of this". I had guessed right. "If Inara asks, what did we speak of?" Okay, seemed like Aswe wanted to keep this secret. One more lie: "You told me about the rules of this town. And that I am not to order people around?" "Correct."

That was my first meeting with Aswe...
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - Washing your clothes on your own

Post by Clairette »

I found help. A woman named Allesandra showed me how to wash clothes. It does not only involve water but herbs as well, you knead them into your clothes to wash, so they will smell nice. I was unaware of this until the human woman pointed this out. But with her help, herbs I got from her, Firnis blossoms, and the underground river water my clothes got cleaned.
Apparently Allesandra is an alchemist, but when I asked what poisons she makes, she told me she has no reason to make poisons. This really is a strange place compared to where I am from... It seems crafter, warriors and archers have a demand for potions or health potions.
We went back up and outside, though I decided not to tag along with Allesandra for too long, as we met some other elves sitting by the campfire. Pale, self-confident men, greeting me with a smile. Their assertiveness was confusing, the friendly mannerisms as well. I suspected at least one trap and so I kept away from them, yet being curious I climbed up on the walls to watch them talk with Amelia and Allessandra. I think it was the first time that I was on the walls. The town Galmair still felt new and unexplored for me, it would take many more weeks to explore most of it and months to feel at home.
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - Campfire Talk in Cadomyr

Post by Clairette »

The day was turning to evening when I met Amelia, who gave me presents at the depot box: some oil against sore muscles, crops we planted yesterday, and seeds of said crops
Later Knight Bidukan took me to Cadomyr, the desert realm. On our way to the teleporter I met one elf, who introduced himself as Velin, a weapon and armour smith.
At the gates in front of the large castle of Cadomyr a group of people was gathering. The air was dry and still hot, though the sun was getting low. I saw a lizard, the elfess Inara, and a woman with dark eyes and ash blond hair, along with the black haired man the others called Drathe. I had seen her before somewhere, I think. Also there was an imprudent castle guard insulting people from Galmair.

The woman introduced herself to me as:"Knight Aleytys Lamar of Cadomyr" and I replied:"Sir.", though that was the wrong word. "The right address is Lady Knight." told me the lizard who make clicking sounds, maybe it laughed. The woman said "If you want it even more correct - Dame". So I decided to address her as "Dame Lamar".

Then an orc arrived, the others called him Xannu, and soon the group left the teleporter and the gates behind. Inara waited to send any latecomers our way, Drathe disappeared somewhere and the rest of us made for a campfire near a river delta. After all this dusty desert sands the green riverbanks were a most welcome view. There we settled around a lit campfire and Dame Lamar handed out drinks. Bidukan asked for a smelly brew in mugs, it's called beer. I took the same.
Drathe and a elfess I had never seen before had found us just after everyone had received a drink. Knight Bidukan called:"Hide the drink, Drathe comes!" So I hid it under my coat, and I did well, because no one noticed, until we left. The others were talking and Dame Lamar handed out more drinks. Slowly more people arrived. Another orc showed up, he was addressed as Kraex by the others. He stared at me and I glared back. Fergro showed up, that is the halfling squire of Knight Bidukan, and so he's directly higher up in hierarchy than me and I shall try to learn from him. I bowed to him, he grinned and waved his hand - an odd gesture but one that suited him well.

Dame Lamar began her lecture or rather a discussion for which she presented a topic. The topic was about scouting and it's importance in battle tactics. It was interesting but I found it hard to focus on the topic, so many creatures around me, so many impressions. It seems that archers are effective against mages and that scouts should figure out what foe awaits the group. It goes without saying that scouts should not be spotted themselves and be silent and secretive.
During the discussion a blond man, presumably a warrior or knight showed up and sat close to me on another log, it was getting crowded. He was called Sir Exelous and he apologised with these words:"Apologies for my tardiness, Aly. I was set upon by a roaming gang of foolhardy drow. Though rest assured they soon wished they had not." While Fergro threw glances at him and me, the lizard explained:"Sss, he sssitsss right next to a drow...." That was when everyone started talking about whether I was a drow or not. Well, everyone else, for I remained silent. Knight Bidukan even got angry and questioned why the lizard called me drow. The lizard claimed that I had said so myself, while the orc wondered that my eyes weren't red, but white. Knight Bidukan threw one of his glances at me and said coldly:"We will talk when we go back to Galmair."
The discussion on scouting went on disrupted only by the arrival of an orcess named Hurr and lizard knight named S'rrt. Since when are lizards knight? Anyhow, I tried to listen but I think I was paying more attention to emotions people displayed or tried to hide and to see if anyone would try to attack me. From the topic of scouts and how they should behave the discussion changed to leadership in general and how troops should or shouldn't be managed. It seemed a person called Ssar'ney wrote thousands of pages on battle tactics and demanded his soldiers read them. Though, Exelous told me that it was not that bad, just a hyperbole. Yet Fergro asked for a copy of said writings.

More people arrived, an elfess called Deanna and the Countess of Cadomyr came to sit by the campfire, Hurr left. The discussion shifted away from scouting to general tactics and behaviour in battle again.

Knight Bidukan decided it was time to leave so we made our way back to the teleporter.
"You told someone you are a drow?" my knight asked and I replied that the Galmairian shaman had called me that. The man didn't buy it though. "That isn't an answer." he insisted."Did you or not?" So I had to admit, that I might have called myself drow. And the human scolded me, raising his voice a bit:"Do you want your head on a spike?" "Of course not, Sir!" He made it clear that drow are not tolerated, and I realised I had done something very stupid. "I shall never again make that mistake, Sir." I spoke. "For your own sake you shouldn't." the man replied. "I tell you, you better make up a good story about yourself." I muttered:"The damage has already been done..."
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - First tavern talk with the Shaman

Post by Clairette »

Back in Galmair, it was night and dark by now. At the depot box in the guard room we met Sarangerel, the old, hobbling orcess and shaman of Galmair. Knight Bidukan discussed something about a theft involving Wynter and Mirai with her. I asked my Knight permission to talk to the Shaman. I remembered her offering to aswer questions, and though I felt unsure about seeking her advice, it seemed reasonable to do so. I would just take her answers with some doubt and mistrust, not believe everything blindly. "What is it Clairette?" she asked, leaning on her wand, using it as a cane. She was smiling a little, watching me observantly. "Could you tell me more about humans?" I asked. She seemed curious her eyes wandering over me, halting shortly at the my bandaged arm. "Something specific you want to know?" the orcess asked. I moved my hand a bit, unsure of how to formulate the question. "I want to understand why they behave the way they do." I explained. The shaman pushed her chin forward, she explained:"They know, their lives are short, even if they take care. They attempt to compensate for that by creating things that outlast them. That could be art, knowledge, reputation or heirs." Sarangerel shooed my squire Fergro off, who seemed to want to take part in our conversation and learn about the gods as well. I was glad she did though, so I could ask more freely.

After Fergro left us to suggest to Knight Bidukan to teach us about religion, Sarangerel suggested "Shall we head towards a calm place Clairette, or have you got all your answers already?" "A calm place might be good, Shaman" I answered keeping my respectful tone. We went to the tavern, a place I had not seen yet. It is a large, torch and candle lit room with a gallery and several rows of tables. It smells of a bit food and a lot of beer. Besides the shirtless barkeeper Hagar and some guests that seem to be a fixture, it was empty. The orcess sent me to buy some drink and bring it to the table where she chose to sit. I bought some mead and returned. Of course I tasted from my drink so the Shaman would know it was not poisoned. She seemed to have gotten comfortable, sunken deep into her chair with her wand leaning next to it. My teachers had not approved of sitting at a table like that, I sat up straight, as I had been taught to.

The orcess explained to me that human culture can be very diverse, because humans can be very different from one another. "What serves you well in one town, might get you imprisoned in another." she remarked. Nonetheless humans manage to travel from town to town without being thrown into prison. In the white stone caves we do not allow commoners to travel a lot. It is dangerous, they might run off and they might be imprisoned in the next city. Every newcomer that crosses the border is greeted with mistrust - or poisoned arrows.

Then the shaman told me that when she first went to Cadomyr, she almost got herself on the town's wanted list for criminals. She tried to challenge the town's Queen to a duel. We were briefly disturbed by an elfess called Deanna, she immediately left though. The Shaman said she was important in a place called Runewick, while here in Galmair she was just a guest and bound to the Don's guidelines. The Don is a dwarf and the patron of Galmair, he holds the position of ruler over the town of Galmair, if you want to say so.

Also the Shaman said that she as an orc would be more easily accepted to not follow cultural rules and step on people toes a little. For me that does not apply. Well, I am glad my cultural skills are not compared to those of an orc! Yet, I do admit the shaman was as clever as she was well educated. It showed in the way she talked and in what she said as well. She implied that if people see me, they think 'a drow' and I should expect hostility. I hesitated, than I decided to ask for advice on that matter as well. "You called me drow, and I used that word, but it has gotten around quite a bit and Bidukan told me that might get my head on a spike." I paused briefly, before adding the obvious:"And as you might imagine, I do not wish to find my head on a spike." The shaman was silent, thinking for a moment. Finally she asked:"What do you associate with that word?" Me? I didn't really associate much with it. A foreign word in that common tongue, a description for these who look like me. I shrugged and replied:"Not much really."
The Shaman offered to tell me a story about that word "drow". She told me to remember, that while she thinks it is just a story, others would take it seriously.
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - A story about the drow by Sarangerel

Post by Clairette »

When the gods created the orcs, Moshran gave them of his blood and it made them furious. Craving for war and plunder they devastated the folks of the world. After a time others banded together and first victories were won against "Moshran's children". Soon the war turned into a hunt. The elves, especially, led the effort and sought revenge for their loss. The orcs would have been hunted to extinction if the gods had not stepped in. They said, they saw orcs worthy to exist, every god for their own reason. They told the mortals to leave them be and declared an end to the war. However, there was a tribe of elves who did not care for the will of the gods and they continued to hunt the orcs. As the gods saw this, they cursed them. They cursed them to never see the sun again. The elves told the gods leave them alone, very rudely and moved beneath the surface. They would be known as "Dark-Elves" from now on. Whether it was because of their dark skin or because they lived in the dark? I do not know. So, that's why the common folk consider this tribe cursed by the gods, it is even frowned on to use items crafted by them.
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - Drow, Bow and Wand

Post by Clairette »

Sarangerel, the Shaman of Galmair told me:"Your appearance reminds them of those elves who serve Akaltut, so that's why Yasna asked you if you are a drow." Aha. One more question to ask:"What is Akaltut?" "Akaltut is a demon, living beneath the desert." she explained. I nodded a bit. Clever, that demon, I'd surely do the same and not roam in the sunlight and sands but in nice, dark and cold caves beneath. The Shaman told further that the items made by those who follow this Alkatut-demon were frowned upon but still gathered on dungeon raids.

I repeated, to make sure I understood correctly what the shaman had told me:"'The dungeon is raided for treasures, but the things found there are not wanted?" The Shaman scratched her neck.

Then she reached in her bag and pulled out a bow, that was glowing in a blue colour. There were spiderweb carvings on the weapon and a symbol carved in it's middle. The glowing blueish shimmer made it look way nicer. The weapon was beautiful. "Well... They are top notch!" the orcess said, but she explained:" Not so many years ago, people would have scolded me for using this. Some.. very backward people. Mostly not around any more."

I was surprised that there were higher ranked people around to scold a shaman, for in my head a shaman was to be something like a priest of sorts - maybe a priest for orcs? I would learn more about this in time.

The Shaman told me more about said people:"They would have called me a heretic for disobeying their choosen gods. They would have interpreted me holding on to this item that I must serve the demon as well. And sooner or later they would have attempted to execute me."

Seemed like they knew what they were doing. Good, I never met them, I guess. We would have a fun and long conversation with cookies and tea for sure. "Well, that's some way to get rid of someone you don't like." I said, smiling a cold smile while my mind wandered back to past events. It was interesting to know that people on the surface would retreat to such measures as well - and certainly good for your health to consider this!

The orcess explained, "They had been organised in large groups and they attempted to oversee everyone's actions." Apparently, judging by her talk these people weren't around any more. "What destroyed them?" I asked. "Good question." she replied.

"Seeing there is a common agreement between the leading people in the towns, that serving Moshran is not tolerated, those who are caught doing so, will be outcasts, not protected by any law, hunted. Killed and executed." I frowned at her words. "Didn't you say Moshran was one of these gods?" "Exactly." Sarangerel nodded. "So, Akaltut serves Moshran. And dark skinned elves serve Akaltut... and you are an dark skinned elf. - For some people it can be that simple." I frowned and hissed. This would surely not do me any good. "You can pick any other god to your liking or declare you would rather not choose, people will tolerate it but one.", the Shaman told me. "I see, I do not intend to choose a god, though." The shaman also warned me about the cultists, the undead man and his followers:"When he caught me he mopped the floor with my blood as easily as I demonstrated my power to you when we first met. So I'm hobbling around now like a damn goblin. Just to draw you a picture of his ruthlessness and power." Well, that was quite an impressive picture, since the first meeting of the shaman and I was still very vivid in my eyes. The icy magic spells and slippery floor, her ultimate humiliation that had been handing me my dagger back, while I was lying on the floor.

"Did he let you escape? Just like you gave me the dagger back?" I asked. The shaman grinned at me, it was not friendly, rather dark. "Oh no." She didn't go into details, but instead spoke about this enemy of the town again:"He seeks our suffering and demise and acts rather on instinct and is unreliable in his promises." Mentally I shook my head. I said:"Promises are never reliable" and the orcess nodded. An idea hit me:"Well, for a town full of children this might be a problem...maybe?" "Indeed." the Shaman agreed and I hurried to say:"Well, that excludes you, Shaman." Seems like I forget to exclude me as well...

The orcess sipped her drink, then she asked: "Do you want to ask something else?" "Well, what do can I do to make people stop calling me drow?" Sarangerel scratched her neck a bit and then she stared at me. "Do you maybe know a spell to make them stop?" I asked and her gaze turned piercing and calculating. I felt like I had said something stupid and looked down at the table, but the Shaman answered: "Of course. But it would be troublesome, expensive and not exactly solve your problem." I frowned."Pardon? What is 'not exactly solve my problem' supposed to mean?" I asked and the same moment I realised. "Oh no!" I said, holding up both hand and I shook my head. "No no no!" I protested. The shaman grinned amused, yet she asked:"Oi? What are you thinking?" I hastily explained:"If you're thinking what I am thinking, then I refuse." The orcess waved with a hand saying:"So, illusions and alchemical transformations are off the table, I see." People had already seen me as I was, so they would not buy such a trick easily. "My honest advice is to do as I do. Haven't you be surprised by me based on my green skin as well?" the orcess told me. I nodded a bit.

Just than the tall elfess with green hair named Aswe showed up and sat at the table next to us. She soon put her book away though and left, so we could continue our conversation without prying ears.

"I'll have to watch more of what you do, to figure out what you do, Shaman". I said, the orcess replied:"Sure, I will not hold you back. May I ask you something now?" "Of course, Shaman." I said politely.

She told me that Knight Bidukan was not a noble and called himself knight only, since Galmair has no knights. It seems my behaviour towards him was strange for her. I felt angry at Bidukan. "He has been lying!" I hissed, but Sarangerel shook her head and said:" He surely doesn't think so. He might have been a knight where he came from."

I laughed coldly at her words. Seems like my knight and I had something in common, the town refusing to accept our titles.

"You do not need to follow Bidukan's orders if you do not want to. If he attacks you, you have the right to complain to the Don, or his assistant, Oxiana." the Shaman went on."You can even complain about my attack on you." she said with a smile. Sometimes people throw gold bars at you without noticing, and you just have to grab them. This was such a moment. I showed no reaction though, for timing is important to grab that gold bar.

Instead I sighed and explained again, what I had told Amelia before: "I follow his orders, because I choose to do so". Sarangerel nodded. "It is a way to get around this town, of course. However, I will consider you a citizen of Galmair, Clairette, and if someone threatens you for no reason, you will always find an ally in me. You understand?" Basically she was telling me the town would protect me, and I did not need to be anyone's page or servant or such. Well, I did not really get it, though. But I came to realise that the town Galmair is like a noble house, a place where someone few rule and others serve and everyone is protected, as long as they work together for that house. The orcess nodded at my words and said:"I'm a Galmairian first, as is the Left Hand Oxiana. Second I'm everything else. That's how I grew old here - and the best advice I can give you."

Well, there I smiled and changed the topic. "About that complaint about you by the Don..." I said. Sarangerel grinned. "Aye?" she asked. "Instead of seeing the Don and having to explain yourself, how about helping me to find a wand and showing me how to use it?" I suggested innocently.  The shaman bursted in a hearty chuckle - much to my surprise. I muttered:"Did I say something wrong?" She shook her head:"Noo, not at all. I like your attitude more and more!"
In a swift motion she emptied her goblet of mead and placed it back in the table. "Why not? Let's see to get you started somehow."
Clairette

14.Siros 62 - Careful what you wish for, you might get more than a wand

Post by Clairette »

“Hrm...” the Shaman looked at me. "How much do you know about magic?" I had learned about magic at home, I was taught by some of my sisters and some brothers. I had studied the old language used in runes and heard about one or two rituals. Yet, here the magic felt different - hidden from me. Although looking back, it surely rather was because of my shock than that there was a magic-difference, that I had no grasp on magic at that time.

I shook my head. "Not enough, obviously. Why else would I ask?" The Shaman nodded and rose from her chair. "Let's head to the workshop."
On the way she told me magic is expensive, a wand needs to be looked after and repaired if broken. So she uses cheaper wands for training. And one needs arcane language, so I would have to learn this.

The orcess measured my arm length, looked something up in a very old, smelly, moldy book and then went to the workshop with boards and a saw. The carpentry table was filled with boards, a saw, a box of nails and some other things I had never seen and could to tell their names. Sarangerel worked quite slowly, but her movements were precise and experienced. Just as skilled crafters do. "Now your arm please. We want the wand to be long enough to support you, but not bother you." the orcess explained."I will see where to place the handle piece best."

I hesitated before holding out my left arm, the one with the bandage. The orcess held up a board and marked it with little cuts from her knives at several places. She told me:"A wand will help you to focus your mana." Apparently mana goes from your body into the wand and than you channel it out. The wand transforms the mana into a force that can cause damage. Since there are different sorts of wands they have different effects. "I will weave something handy into the core for you." She said, and sat down in front of the workbench. With dedicated movements she carved at the wood so it slowly took shape of a rod. She knew exactly what she was doing, every gesture had it's purpose. And me? For me it was simply a joy observing this art of making a wand, the slow transformation of board to a twisting rod with and curly orations.

Next the Shaman applied pieces carved out of dark wood into the wand, they seemed to merge with the rod, while she was mumbling something to herself. A few seconds later I realised that the shadows around her had darkened and the torch on the wall was flickering more than it usually would. Last, the runes now applied to the wand would glow in an eerie yet barely visible shimmer. My eyes grew wide, magic was at work. The shaman continued her muttering, and then she touched the wand with her gloved hand, from which a thick reddish liquid was dripping into the runes. The little carvings adsorbed it. With a movement of her hand the Shaman made all the runes on the wand change their colour to a dull red. Then everything turned normal again, as if nothing mysterious had ever happened. The Shaman sat up, blew away the saw dust and held the wand out to me.
It was covered with dull red runes, and made of dark twisted wood, the ramifications at the top held a well crafted obsidian.

I could not help but grin. To me the wand looked beautiful.

"With some training you will be able to cast some kind of darkness. Maybe you can figure out how it helps your sensibility." the Shaman said, placing the wand in my hands. I let my finger run along the runes. "If you put magic gems into those sockets, you won't have to spend that much mana to cast with it. The force will not get stronger." she explained and pointed at different places which were presumably room for more magical gems. Magical gems one can get as a reward from the town each month. The higher your rank in town, the better the reward meaning more gems.
We went to the library. Not the library that is in the same large building as the guard room and the kitchen, though. No, we went south, past the gates of Galmair to a building near a mine and a body of water that holds many fish. One could see them swimming like they were dancing shortly beneath the surface. The sun glittering on the water, for it had risen again and chased away my beloved darkness of the night, replacing it with harsh beams of daylight. It turned out the box shaped building held a lot of books on magic, it was a library for mages.

The shaman handed me books to read, she didn't seem to fancy the authors though. "The guy who wrote it was an ass hole... but well he was capable. Study it."

She also told me that armour, especially iron, is not good for mana. And then she threw her hat at me, as she saw me squinting in the sunlight. "Take that... I can't watch how you're suffering." Ever since I kept this hat very safe, until I lost it to a fairy. Then, finally, the shaman taught me how to channel mana through the wand.
Last edited by Clairette on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clairette

15. Siros 62 - About living in Galmair

Post by Clairette »

15. Siros 62
It was the morning of 15th Siros 62, the Shaman of Galmair, the orcess Sarangerel, and I were standing at the roof of the little magic library and she lectured me about the town and rules. I had successfully used my wand to create something magic, a dark cloud of energy that would hurt those who were touched by it.

She advised me to gather things, such as herbs or magic shards from the ground, to go hunting and pick fruits to eat.

Money - copper, silver and gold coins - is very important in Galmair. I had been told that before, but now I was ready to listen and to understand the meaning behind this.
The Don's anger can be lessened if he is paid money, cultists are allowed in town if they pay in advance the cost of the trouble they might cause and elections are held with coin as well. Elections are when people choose their leader. Basically it comes down to the Shaman's words: "Aye, the Don loves gold, if you give him enough of it, he will be happy with you no matter what."
To gain money it is useful to gather all kind of things that lie on the ground. The Shaman gave me some bags to store and sort things inside, just like I had seen Amelia and Bidukan doing at the depot boxes. After that she also handed me paper and quill with the words:"Those are for notes... we will start with the lessons tomorrow." I had found myself a magic teacher!

Then we went to help the dwarf Fokous Onyxbrow, who needed help because there were more rats than water in the well. Maybe I am exaggerating - but just a little. Rats! I remembered my dream about my siblings and me being rats. Had this been a message for me, too?

We killed some of the tiny rodents and the Shaman told me to gather their furs. "Pardon, I shall touch these..." I said. "You will get your hands dirty... so much." she answered. Well, better dirty than burnt, aye?

After this excursion into the well on Galmair's marketplace, we returned to the depot box to store the rat fur. Also, the Shaman gave me another parchment. It was a warrior guide she had written. She advised me to be careful outside. There were cultists around and best tactic is to run from them and seek shelter in town. If worse were to come to worse though, the Shaman said she'd punish the cultists in a way that I do not want to write down here in my diary - it involved skinning and body orifices.

Unlike the Shaman, Knight Bidukan had said I should not leave the town alone.

More than a day had passed since I last slept, I found myself the way back to the inn and slept like a stone. I guess, I was a very happy stone, though.
Clairette

16. Siros 62 - Ideas and Plans

Post by Clairette »

16th Siros, I woke after a long dreamless slumber. It was dark and cold outside - good. The moons were shining down from the sky, a few clouds covering some stars.
Walking towards the marketplace I saw the Shaman and Knight Bidukan. The man glanced at the wand in my hands and then at the hat I was wearing. It had been just yesterday on the Shaman's head, now it was on mine. "Where did you get this from?" he asked. And I rejoiced thinking about my successful blackmailing of the Shaman, and said as sweetly and innocently as I could: "The Shaman was so kind to give it to me.", while I tried not to grin.

Bidukan agreed to my suggestion to talk with the Shaman and me about the drow-word-problem. While he was busy preparing mining tools, I went to search for Sarangerel and found the orcess cutting wood. "How are you doing?" she greeted me. "I made some use of the paper you gave me, but more importantly an idea came to my mind to ..." I answered and began my act. I'd drop my head and let my shoulders hang low, and put on a sad face. While I spoke I even allowed to my face to show a bit fear - maybe the only thing honest about this show. My voice I gave an accusing, yet whining tone as I said: "I am very worried my head might land on a spike, for people go spreading the rumour of me being a drow!" The orcess nodded, I think she tried to encourage me to go on. "It is not true and it hurt me deeply to be called such a creature!" I said and complained further, "I cannot sleep at night for fear for my life, and at day time this worry clouds my head, if I only know how to make people understand what they do to me by says such words."
The Shaman smirked, she was pleased with my presentation. "We would have to spread that rumour fast." I explained. But the Shaman went on picking my story up: "It is a sickness you had from birth on aye?" "It never occurred to me to consider it a sickness", I replied. "Consider to add it. Maybe give it a catchy name. Star Skin disease." I was advised.
"I imagine people might be more willing to believe if they heard it from others first" I stated, but the old orcess shook her head. "Don't worry about that." she said, "Because if you want to go with that, you have always to be ready to perform anyway. Again and again."

We agreed on the following tale: My family comes from a forest, a place with many trees and mushrooms. There are caves there  as well, where people live. The Shaman suggested the name "Mushroom Deep", and so my fake home was named. I even started to enjoy this game of make believe. Until the Shaman asked:"Why did you came to Galmair? Are you seeking a cure or do your parents want you to study? Something like that?" I barely managed not to let my neutral face mask slip to not spill the strong, hurtful and raw emotions kept hidden behind it. I took a deep breath, and somehow forced the word 'Accident' to leave my mouth. More I was not capable of saying about it. I just clung to my wand tightly, as if the wooden rod could hold and support me. The Shaman said nothing about my change of behaviour, she just nodded and remarked: "You don't need to answer all questions anyway."
Clairette

16. Siros 62 - Going to Runewick with Bidukan

Post by Clairette »

We said we'd meet later in the tavern to talk with Knight Bidukan, so I left the Shaman and went to look for my Knight to inform him about the arranged meeting. I found him in the workshop. He greeted me with these words: "You look like a wizard now." "It's the hat that's making me look like one, Sir." I replied politely. "Are you learning magic from the Shaman?" the man wanted to know. I nodded in agreement. "So... will you be a mage?" he asked. "I don't think so, Sir" I answered. "What will you be then?" he asked. "Your page, sir?" I said, puzzled by his questions more and more. He explained me that warriors do not use magic, as a knight he cannot cast spells. Still, he mentioned something about battle mages. Warriors trained in fighting and magic arts. "Sir, you think I could be a battle mage one day?" I asked and smiled as he answered "I guess you can, yes.".
After my knight had finished his work in the workshop, he took me to Runewick. Another realm, a giant conglomeration of buildings build on several small islands. Bidukan called it "a town of knowledge and magic". A description that fits quite well. The place would have had a nice, calming aura, but it was disturbed by the strong mouldy smell coming from the water bodies, where greenish clouds hung low and ominous, near the teleporter. Walking over the bridge I saw several dead fish in the water, their blank eyes staring back at any passer-by using the bridge to town. In fear that the plagued water would be coming to town Runwickian citizens had built dams and walls. Bidukan showed me the faculties, it seems that Runewick is a university of sorts and people live and study there. They also have a very large library, and Knight Bidukan told me, that even I as a guest to the town was allowed to read their books. The ruler of Runewick is the Archmage Elvaine Morgan. I learned that the Archmage doesn't trust Galmair, nor Cadomyr either.
Back in Galmair Bidukan talked shortly to an old human man, who he addressed as Eli.
Clairette

16. Siros 62 - The invention of Mushroom Deep

Post by Clairette »

The invention of Mushroom Deep

Later the Shaman, Knight Bidukan and I met in the tavern. We sat in the gallery, around one of the small tables there. The orcess and the human man greeted each other with a nod. I sat down, placing my hands on the table and lowered my gaze to show respect.

"We have put some thought into the matter and came to the conclusion that some deception might be at order, Bidukan." the Shaman announced. "It will make everyone's life easier. I hope you do not have objections?"

Bidukan asked politely: "Mind to explain yourself Shaman?" He was a bit nervous, I think. "She was born with Star Skin disease and grew up in Mushroom Deep. What a nice forest that is. How dare you to call her a drow?" the orcess said. I was just listening, I didn't even dare to move, yet I was feeling confident.

The human knight leaned back in his chair, staring at the orcess he said in a hushed voice, "I'm pleased to hear a satisfactory explanation, Shaman." Sarangerel just stared back at him.

Then he turned to me and said: "Do pay attention to the Shaman. There is a story to learn." and me being his page, I replied "Yes, Sir", playing dumb and not mentioning any of the talk I had had with Sarangerel on that topic before. Just as Bidukan's words were spoken foodsteps were heard, someone was walking down the stairs at the opposite side of the room. A few moments later Amelia entered the tavern's gallery and walked over. Bidukan invited her to our table saying he'd trust her, and both Bidukan and I offered her a chair. The orcess watched and smiled, then she said "It took me a bit, but suddenly it hit me like a golem fist. How could I forget about that? Have you ever heard of Star Skin disease, Amelia?". As an explanation the knight whispered to Amelia, "We are solving Clairette's origin trouble." She replied: "I was not aware there were any?" "Well, she was pointed out as a drow yesterday at Aly's campfire, with many people witnessing it." Bidukan said. "Well... she was here to, by Velin... it does not seem to be a secret?" Amelia pointed out. Bidukan insisted, "If people get convinced she is drow, she will get hanged in the best of scenarios." The Shaman bit her lip and looked to the man while I revealed with a trembling voice that I was scared.

Amelia had doubts about our plan. "You can't avoid it. Elves call her drow on sight. So, the only way would be..." She looked at me and said, "Clairette, you have to form bonds. If there are enough people staying truly behind you, they will stand up for you". I dared to look at her, frowned a bit and replied that I'd rather not have anyone standing behind me for they could stab me. We would have been futher discussing that, but the Shaman stated her opinion in a hushed voice: "Seems to me we can try both. Plan C can always be that I skin whoever acts with unreasoned violence against Clairette. Just so you know." She folded her arms and looked at us. Amelia was taken aback by her harsh words. "I hope not literally, Saran" the human woman said. "Oh, I mean that quite literally." said the orcess firmly, "I will skin them and tar them, and then scoop out their eyes and feed it to them through their..." I am glad she never finished that sentence, but it was already enough to make Amelia turn pale. The Shaman admited, "Well, let's hope it doesn not come to that phase at all. Aye?"

Finally as an outcome it was decided to spread the rumour that I am sad about this misunderstanding, that Star Skin disease is a chronic illness common in Mushroom Deep, and that I would try to make some allies - friends - they called that. Should it not work, the Shaman would teach those who were trouble how to behave.

With all that figured out, the orcess rose from her chair and clapped her hands softly. The topic was dealt this, the discussion was over for her, she left.

Bidukan and Amelia pointed out some flaws and problems in our plan. So to convince them I told Bidukan and Amelia more about Mushroom Deep. It is a place far away. It is a forest with trees, caves and of course the name-giving mushrooms. While some elves live outside in the forest, others choose to live in the caves. The Star Skin Disease is spreading slowly, and the disease makes the elves sensitive to sunlight. The elders foresaw this development and constructed not only settlements on the surface but also in the caves.

Both were quite impressed about my acting and my lies. I guess these skills must be good for something at least, and if it's just to keep me out of trouble.
Clairette

16. Siros 62 - Disagreeing with Amelia - Part I

Post by Clairette »

"Sorry, Clairette," Amelia said, "when you told me about your origin, I did not know it would be a problem, else I would have warned you." I shrugged, not knowing what to answer. Knight Bidukan had just gone back to work and we were alone in the tavern sitting at a table in the gallery. Amelia seemed to be honestly sorry and that puzzled me.
"Why does my problem bother you?" I asked with barely hidden curiosity displaying in my eyes.
"Why should it not? I told you my way of thinking. I care for the people around me." the human woman replied. Oh what an odd answer that was!
Then she said, "I did and still do my best to give you a good start here, but I got the impression, you don't want me to." It made me frown. Of course I appreciated her help. So what was the problem?

"You pity me for being trusting and friendly. Don't think I did not notice. And no matter what I try, you often feel insulted by kindness and judge all my efforts with mistrust." she continued. "If it hurts you, then why are you trying?" I asked with a sigh.
"Because I feel, everyone deserves a chance. I realised, our way of life is uncommon and surely sometimes confusing for you. Even more so, I feel like you need someone to really rely on. Listen Clairette..." I laughed at her. A cold laugh that tasted a hint bitter. "The only one I really rely on is myself." I said and stared at her. "That's a pity. Friends are a strong shield. You noticed yourself, how everyone protects me here. They are not my allies. They are my friends." Amelia said. "I don't care for race or origin, only for actions. I wanted to give you the same chance as any other newcomer would have." But she admitted, "I know you only accept me being close to Bidukan, sadly." I had to think about these words for a while.

I asked her, "You want me to accept you for some other reason? For being friendly and open towards others, maybe? Which is, as I just pointed out a weakness." I sighed. No way I would do that. Amelia was being childish again - and asking me to be childish, as well. "Maybe someday you could forget about races, too, and accept me just for being me?" she asked quietly. "As I accept you for being just you, Clairette."
"Then tell me what is this 'you'?" I demanded. I could try to figure that out myself, sure. But why bother to spend decades on observation?
"You, is a person. As the way you are and act, the way you treat others and serve the community." Amelia explained. "People don't respect me for my position. They respect me because they trust me."

"You want me to accept you for what you do?" I asked to confirm my assumption and Amelia agreed. "I am aware this is not easy. But I hope, someday you can do it honestly." she said. "Fine," again I sighed, this conversation was getting unpleasantly heavy, pressing down my mood like a thick scratchy, wool blanket. "I shall do so, if you stop clinging to such childish behaviour." I spoke, eyeing her with a serious face and for some reason, I added "But if I were you, I'd enjoy being childish some more time." I did not really want Amelia to change, I liked her the way she was. But that didn't mean, and so she had observed it herself, that I would respect her. She looked at me a bit clueless, eyebrow raised with a question in her eyes. "What do you refer to?"
"Time will come, when your so-called friends betray you for their own good, and you'll have to realise your way of life is a dream, a nice one, but still a childish dream, nothing more than that", I explained.

She chuckled and rose from her chair. "We will see who will learn a lesson there, Clairette. Maybe you should allow yourself to be more childish, then?"
"I can not afford to do so, Amelia" I said, raising from my chair as well and shaking my head slowly. "Hmm... I hope, someday you find someone who can change that, I really do", she said.
Clairette

17. Siros 62 - In the guard room

Post by Clairette »

Early morning on Siros 17th, I was in the Guard Room. The place around the depot was well visited. Amelia was there, a dwarf named Drugar, I think, and a lizard person. All gathering around the depot box talking and trading, while I was keeping my distance, observing them from the other side of the small corridor that leads to the kitchen. Amelia introduced me to the lizard, S'rrt K'shire, a lizard knight from Cadomyr.

Voloro appeared as well. The man dared to call me Bidukan's slave, and I pointed out I was not. I was Bidukan's page. Amelia was pleased, it showed on her face.

Voloro spoke with Amelia a bit, mistaking her for a halfling. He used a diffrent word, though, in his underground dialect. It is full of different words, even for me it is hard to understand at times. Voloro also mentioned his clan, Vanto-ba. None I have heard of, so I assume he could be either from a far away or very secretive cave civilisation, or it is a smaller, insignificant clan.

He called Amelia a lesser being compared to him. I saw it angered her, so I patted her shoulder. That surprised her, so she was not angry anymore at Voloro's words.

My Knight asked Voloro what his race was, Voloro simply said:"Elf" and Bidukan asked:"Maybe you suffer from Star Skin Disease, too?"

Then we both recommended Amelia's cooking to the selfproclaimed elf, as he was looking to buy food. He should mind his words better. Having to buy food from someone who you just called lesser being might not necessarily work in your favour. Anyhow, he ordered 10 venison dishes from Amelia.